Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:36:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the most stable firmware?  (Read 338 times)
akagi82 (OP)

Activity: 43
Merit: 28

View Profile
November 05, 2019, 08:48:05 PM
Last edit: November 06, 2019, 02:47:11 AM by frodocooper

Hi guys.  I have been browsing the forums regarding firmware for a while...  What I have gathered:

-firmware may break your miner (instability)
-2019 firmware takes away SSH access
-some firmware may let failing hashboards work again
-some firmware may perform better (cooler, less watts)

Its all very confusing. I am looking for the most stable, vanilla, asicboost compatible firmware that will work with my S9s. (and will maybe bring a dying hashboard back to life, and some units that will not come online at all).

What do you guys think?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Artemis3
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1563

CLEAN non GPL infringing code made in Rust lang

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2019, 10:27:24 PM
Last edit: November 06, 2019, 02:47:40 AM by frodocooper

Then obviously 2018, Oct~Dec has asicboost. To "bring dying boards", then perhaps Braiins OS with options to disable failing sensors, or carefully adjust your speed and voltage to find the optimum values. bOS is currently S9 to S9i, nothing newer, no hydros, no T9s or R4s etc at least until after they finish replacing cgminer with bosminer next year when they will start adding units like the S17, etc.

The other firmwares have dev fees, and you don't want that anyway, no matter what bells and whistles they promise.

Also cleaning the boards often bring them back to life, don't ask why, but I have seen it. Wash them with water and soap and leave them to dry, (output from another miner works great as dryer) just like that some magically return to life...

██████
███████
███████
████████
BRAIINS OS+|AUTOTUNING
MINING FIRMWARE
|
Increase hashrate on your Bitcoin ASICs,
improve efficiency as much as 25%, and
get 0% pool fees on Braiins Pool
big_daddy

Activity: 1652
Merit: 583

xUSD - The PRIVATE stable coin - Haven Protocol

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2019, 02:19:02 PM

following
cause I cannot find a decent firmware for my "old" machines too
last tested is this https://asicferma.com.ua/blagodarnost_proshivka_asicboost
and is stable only on S9's that are fully functional

If you don't believe it or don't get it, I don't have the time to try to convince you, sorry.
PassThePopcorn

Activity: 465
Merit: 309

View Profile
November 07, 2019, 02:55:55 PM
Last edit: November 07, 2019, 10:12:43 PM by frodocooper

I suggest asicseer (https://asicseer.com/), it uses stock bitmain code to automatically tune the chips with their software running on top. It also allows you to set what you want it to pull for wattage.
big_daddy

Activity: 1652
Merit: 583

xUSD - The PRIVATE stable coin - Haven Protocol

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2019, 12:04:01 PM

I suggest asicseer (https://asicseer.com/), it uses stock bitmain code to automatically tune the chips with their software running on top. It also allows you to set what you want it to pull for wattage.

tested, not good for me

If you don't believe it or don't get it, I don't have the time to try to convince you, sorry.
akagi82 (OP)

Activity: 43
Merit: 28

View Profile
November 21, 2019, 07:19:02 AM

Then obviously 2018, Oct~Dec has asicboost. To "bring dying boards", then perhaps Braiins OS with options to disable failing sensors, or carefully adjust your speed and voltage to find the optimum values. bOS is currently S9 to S9i, nothing newer, no hydros, no T9s or R4s etc at least until after they finish replacing cgminer with bosminer next year when they will start adding units like the S17, etc.

The other firmwares have dev fees, and you don't want that anyway, no matter what bells and whistles they promise.

Also cleaning the boards often bring them back to life, don't ask why, but I have seen it. Wash them with water and soap and leave them to dry, (output from another miner works great as dryer) just like that some magically return to life...

A update with postive results!

Thanks for all of your replies to my threads.  I used the Dec 2018 bitmain firmware to bring 6 S9s back to life that wouldnt come online.  In addition, a 7th would run for a day and then get into a uncrecoverable crash, while still powered on...  I am runnin gin LPM and LP enhancement and it seems to be running stable.  A 8th would read 160 degreesc and cause all mining to stop so I am running that in LPM as well, and it seems to work well.

Thanks for the help everyone. 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: