Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 12:03:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: CMC and coingecko  (Read 1134 times)
randa2000 (OP)

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 06, 2019, 06:40:38 PM

CMC and coingecko both very useful for us, i used to use both however i am confused why many coins and tokens not listing in CMC but listing in coingecko, not only coins and tokens but also many exchanges, is this because coingecko become more popular than CMC, or for something else.
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Cheesus

Activity: 692
Merit: 254

terra-credit.com

View Profile
November 06, 2019, 06:45:19 PM

Both are useful tools but CMC is more popular than Coingecko! Coingecko has something unique features like Exchange trust score, ICO review and many more but CMC only has token price chart, trading view and exchange rankings which also have in Coingecko! But CMC has some strong rules to get listed there where any coin/token project easily can get listed in Coingecko, that's why it has more coins listed than CMC! To me, this lot of token listing is a drawback in Coingecko!

███████████████████████
  █████████████████████ 
    ███████████████████ 
      █████████████████ 
███████████████████████
          █████████████ 
            ███████████ 
              █████████ 
                ███████ 
                  ████ 
                    ███ 

terracredit

Powered by,
jets567

Activity: 1008
Merit: 511

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
November 06, 2019, 07:00:39 PM

Both are useful tools but CMC is more popular than Coingecko! Coingecko has something unique features like Exchange trust score, ICO review and many more but CMC only has token price chart, trading view and exchange rankings which also have in Coingecko! But CMC has some strong rules to get listed there where any coin/token project easily can get listed in Coingecko, that's why it has more coins listed than CMC! To me, this lot of token listing is a drawback in Coingecko!

I agree because way back 2017, almost everyday there is a new coin listed on CMC including shitcoins which I think the reason why CMC raise its standard for listing new coins. Coingecko is not new but competing with CMC's popularity is one of the possible reason why they accept new coin easily and one more thing is they want to get more traffic on their site due to the people searching for the new coin.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.YoBit InvestBox.|.BUY X10 AND EARN 10% DAILY.🏆
imutlinda

Activity: 926
Merit: 256

View Profile
November 06, 2019, 07:05:35 PM

I access both of them to find the information of the coins that I have, and need to know for coins that are listed in the CMC list they have a special standard, because there are some coins that are not registered in CMC. so both of these sites have their respective standards
semobo

Activity: 1498
Merit: 146

View Profile
November 06, 2019, 07:15:23 PM

or for something else.
Coinmarket cap has certain criteria if your coin or token get listed on their site,so if any ICO failed to meet their requirement will not be available there but coingecko may have different cirteria to list.
Code:
“What is the criteria for a cryptocurrency to be listed on CoinMarketCap?

The criteria for a cryptocurrency to be listed is the following:

- Must be a cryptocurrency or a crypto token.
- Must be on a public exchange with an API that reports the last traded price and the last 24 hour trading volume.
- Must have a non-zero trading volume on at least one supported exchange so a price can be determined.
- For market cap ranking, an accurate circulating supply figure is required.

If you'd like to have a cryptocurrency listed and it meets all of the criteria, please fill out the request form
Harlot

Activity: 1806
Merit: 671

View Profile
November 06, 2019, 07:16:39 PM

Market Cap isn't really the best thing too look out for if you are using it as basis in your trades, it's just market cap and it doesn't tell you about anything on a coin's price action. I would rather use a ticker to see what are the active movers in the market rather than just look for market cap movements. Also if your coins are not to be found in CMC I think you should consider this as a red flag that the token/crypto you are monitoring can be a shitcoin of course not counting the ones who just got launch as it will really take some time before you get listed in their website especially CMC.
Gotumoot

Activity: 1372
Merit: 261

View Profile
November 06, 2019, 07:25:49 PM

It's not about popularity, it's about the requirements to be listed on Coinamarketcap.

CMC has many reqiurements that developers are unable to provide and therefore they are not welcome in the CMC. In Coingecko, the requirements are simple and even if the developer is just starting the ICO, they are welcome.
batang_bitcoin

Activity: 2954
Merit: 598

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile
November 06, 2019, 07:30:05 PM

Maybe the reason why coingecko has more listing because coinmarketcap is stricter to their rules before getting listed. And some of those that didn't passed that requirement on CMC, passed on coingecko. This isn't a big deal because a competitor can list as many as they want if the other side isn't listing because of their criteria that has been set. But imo, CMC is still the most popular price tracker for most of the cryptocurrencies and I think all crypto enthusiasts are aware of that.

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 ElonCoin.org 
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"
▬▬▬▬▬
Roidz

Activity: 1386
Merit: 250

1XBit.com

View Profile
November 06, 2019, 07:34:45 PM

CMC and coingecko both very useful for us, i used to use both however i am confused why many coins and tokens not listing in CMC but listing in coingecko, not only coins and tokens but also many exchanges, is this because coingecko become more popular than CMC, or for something else.
both of these sites are very helpful for us to get information such as crypto price rates, market capitalization and another information related to the world of cryptocurrency traders, I personally am greatly helped by the existence of these two sites because I can easily check cryptocurrency prices in real time.
as long as both sites provide accurate and useful information for us, in my opinion, we don't need to compare the two sites, which is the best site.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
1xBit.com  Super Six 
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
6 BTC PRIZE POOL
TAKE PART
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
Sacramentus

Activity: 448
Merit: 2

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2019, 08:04:54 PM

I think coingecko gained more popularity during the time coin market cap have issues with fake tree data display on its website. So many projects prefer coingecko because of its advanced tool

[ IQ ] cash  ▐   THE MASTERNODES CRYPTOCURRENCY
████████████ [ https://iq.cash ] ████████████
flagpara

Activity: 756
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 06, 2019, 08:14:46 PM
Last edit: November 06, 2019, 08:35:35 PM by flagpara

Like for listing any coin I'm exchange have to follow listing rules. Coinmarketcap rules is harder than the coingecko and coinmarketcap is more popular than coingecko. After listed coinmarketcap all admin are happy. But I think problem is after listed CMC, still has chance to scam.

kawetsriyanto
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1086

Free Bitcoins Every Hour!

View Profile
November 06, 2019, 08:40:25 PM
Merited by CryptopreneurBrainboss (2), BITCOIN4X (1)

Both CoinMaretCap and CoinGecko have their own criteria. Some standard criteria are the same and some are different.
For more details about the different criteria, you can check the following link:

Coin Market Cap: based on two important things to be listed, listing criteria (can be seen at the link https://support.coinmarketcap.com/hc/en-us/articles/360034124351-Listings-Criteria) and also Methodology (information about Market Data and Cryptoasset Rank) which can be seen at the link https://support.coinmarketcap.com/hc/en-us/articles/360034116491-Market-Data-Cryptoasset-Rank.

For CoinGecko, you can see it at the link https://www.coingecko.com/id/methodology.

In this case, at this time the CMC might probably have more stringent and higher criteria for listing coins/tokens/ exchanges on their list.
However, both CMC and CoinGecko provide very helpful information for us all.

During this time, I personally more often use CMC to check the feasibility or list of coins/tokens/ or exchange.

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.PLAY NOW.
CjMapope
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1092

~Full-Time Minter since 2016~

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2019, 08:54:58 PM

CMC used to list everything, but it became a metric scammers would use for legitimacy, so they had to change their rules to make being listed harder
They made it so certain requirements like daily volume had to be met before listing of a project.
This left a hole in the market where alot of coins wanted the legitimacy, but lacked the requirements to be listed on CMC, and so sites like Coingecko were born
Its that simple really. Which is better? who knows, as long as they both have the same accurate information, who cares you know?

~Got this girl in my bed, a roof over my head, i mint a couple coins a week, and thats how i make bread~
~On the 12th day of Hatzvah, OGminer said to me: "compute root of the merkle hash tree!"~
Prohashing  -- Simply the best Multipool!
enhu
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1018

View Profile
November 06, 2019, 08:56:27 PM

So its possible that coins that are not listed in CMC could be in coingecko, I now see how they can be both useful. I just use CMC all the time when checking prices in the morning just when I wake up and somehow in the middle of the day til before I sleep. This is probably the reason why CMC ask so much for advertising on his site. Damn we all help them get richer everyday.

██████████ BitcoinCleanUp.comDebunking Bitcoin's Energy Use ██████████
██████████                Twitter#EndTheFUD                 ██████████
Bananington

Activity: 1400
Merit: 340

View Profile
November 06, 2019, 09:18:11 PM

The fact that there are more coins/tokens and exchanges on coingecko doesn't necessarily mean coingecko is more popular than CMC. It's simply because CMC has more rigid protocols before listing any coin, they have a required trading volume threshold to meet for instance. It's easier to list a coin or exchange on coingecko than CMC.

▄▄███████████████████▄▄
▄██████████████████████▄
███████████▀▌▄▀██████████
███████▄▄███████▄▄███████
██████▄███▀▀██▀██████████
█████████▌█████████▌█████
█████████▌█████████▌█████
██████████▄███▄███▀██████
████████████████▀▀███████
███████████▀▀▀███████████
▀█████▀▀████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████████▀▀
Peach
BTC bitcoin
Buy and Sell
Bitcoin P2P
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████████
██████▄
▄██
█████████████████▄
▄███████
██████████████▄
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
▀███████████████████████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀

▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀
Available in
EUROPE | AFRICA
LATIN AMERICA
▄▀▀▀

▀▄▄▄

███████▄█
███████▀
██▄▄▄▄▄░▄▄▄▄▄
████████████▀
▐███████████▌
▐███████████▌
████████████▄
██████████████
███▀███▀▀███▀
Download on the
App Store
▀▀▀▄

▄▄▄▀
▄▀▀▀

▀▄▄▄

▄██▄
██████▄
█████████▄
████████████▄
███████████████
████████████▀
█████████▀
██████▀
▀██▀
GET IT ON
Google Play
▀▀▀▄

▄▄▄▀
tenakha

Activity: 1470
Merit: 509

View Profile
November 06, 2019, 09:34:17 PM

No, CMC is almost most popular one. Less tokens/coins are listed on CMC because the conditions are a bit heavier. Look at the listing criteria of CMC: https://support.coinmarketcap.com/hc/en-us/articles/360034124351-Listings-Criteria

It will be more useful to use both. There are shortcomings, such as false volumes or listing scam projects, but this may not sometimes be caused by themselves.
xiboothrezi

Activity: 1246
Merit: 285

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2019, 09:51:53 PM

You are right. CMC and Coingecko are very useful and have their respective advantages that stand out. Where we know indeed to be registered in CMC, must meet the terms and conditions set, you can see it in detail here. CMC shows the price movements accurately, precisely, and completely from all over the world, we can also compare the exchange rates of various exchanges of a coin or token to determine trading strategies. Because of its consistency and popularity as well as its accuracy, many make CMC an indicator of the success of a project if it is already registered there.

▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄               ▄▄▀█
    ▄█        ▀▄         ▄▄▀▀   █
  ▄▀ ▐▌         █    ▄▄▀▀    ▄▄█
▄▀▀▀ █           █▄▀▀    ▄▄▀▀  █
▀▀▄█▌▌       ▄▄▀▀    ▄▄▀▀    ▄▄▀
   ▀▄█    ▄▀▀    ▄▄▀▀    ▄▄▀▀
     █   █                      ▄▄▄
      █ ▐▌            ▄▄       █   █▄
       █▀█         ▄▀▀ █        ▀▄ ▀██
       █  ▀▄     ▄▀   ▄ █         █
       █  ▄ ▀▄  █    █   ▀▀▀▄   █▀▀
      █  ▄▀  ▐▌█      █  ▄▀  █ ▐▌
  ▄███▄▄▀  ▄██▄█  ▄███▄▄▀  ▄█▄▄▄█
TFSM o v e   Y o u r   G a m e
T o   T h e   N e x t   L e v e l
|||████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████████
JOIN NOW
████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████████
deadsilent

Activity: 1148
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 06, 2019, 10:07:52 PM

Because they don't have the same standard. Coinmarketcap is the oldest cryptocurrency encyclopedia. And I think it's more credible than coingecko. Coinmarketcap has a higher standard like the altcoins must be on at least 4-5 Exchanges in able to list them on the platform. They only list good altcoins and they make sure that the  altcoin they list is trustable. Coingecko can be paid by the I think.
Pearls Before Swine

Activity: 1190
Merit: 306

View Profile
November 06, 2019, 10:17:33 PM

Both are useful tools but CMC is more popular than Coingecko!
That has been my experience as well, tho I do use both sites for information. 

Because they don't have the same standard.
That's probably the best answer to op's question.  One might ask why Binance is so much easier to use than an exchange with an awful gui like southxchange...and the answer is that some people know what they're doing and how to make a better website than other people.  It's a difference of standards, interest, talent, and probably a whole host of other factors. 

And honestly if coingecko disappeared overnight, I'd be completely fine just using coinmarketcap from then on.  Their site has pretty much all the info I usually look for.
Lagduf

Activity: 1162
Merit: 260

View Profile
November 06, 2019, 10:17:51 PM

It is always the most popular ones which has to be the harder to get into. It is not that coingecko is more popular than CMC it is just to be listed in CMC  you need to meet some criteria.
It is unlike in the past where being listed in CMC is an ordinary thing right now everytime I see new projects being listed on CMC they are celebrating it like how they celebrate if their project can get listed by popular exchange. However CMC and coingecko is just equally good in my opinion.

▄████████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 ████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████▄▄
█████                 ▀▀███▄
█████▄                   ▀██▄
███▀███▄                  ███
███  ▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄       ███
███     ▀▀▀▀▀███████████▄▄██▀
███                   ▀▀████
███      ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▄█▄
███   ▄███████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▀██
███ ▄██▀▀                  ██
██████                    ██▀