Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 11:43:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why CPU, not GPU?  (Read 164 times)
dogecoiner (OP)

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2020, 12:35:47 PM

Some keep asking me, why does it more valuable to use CPU and not a graphics processor? Will it ever be possible to use GPU for mining in my browser?

The primary function of any browser is to surf and search the web. The mining feature is important, but still secondary in comparison to browsing itself. We don't want mining to interfere with users' daily activities. And the balance between fast mining and comfortable browsing is not achievable while using GPU.

Powerful video card owners make up only a small percentage of my users. And my goal is to make mining available to the maximum number of users, regardless of the power of their computers and smartphones. That's why I use CPU instead of GPU.

There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 1708

View Profile
May 26, 2020, 04:03:20 PM

Some keep asking me, why does it more valuable to use CPU and not a graphics processor? Will it ever be possible to use GPU for mining in my browser?

The primary function of any browser is to surf and search the web. The mining feature is important, but still secondary in comparison to browsing itself. We don't want mining to interfere with users' daily activities. And the balance between fast mining and comfortable browsing is not achievable while using GPU.

Powerful video card owners make up only a small percentage of my users. And my goal is to make mining available to the maximum number of users, regardless of the power of their computers and smartphones. That's why I use CPU instead of GPU.

When someone goes on Netflix and watches shows, it uses the GPU rendering. So its possible to use GPU for browser mining however nobody does it for many reasons.

First reason why is because its not efficient because it needs to go thru the browser, if the browser is not optimized the hashing speed will be slow. Most people downloaded a dedicated miner like Claymore and just use that. Its a low resource piece of software which maximises the hashing speed for GPUs.

Same why the original bitcoin wallet which had built in mining function however it wasn't optimized and shortly after everybody used a standalone CPU miner to mine BTC.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
MinerPath

Activity: 76
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2020, 04:42:04 PM

There are browsers that can utilize GPU well, still, if you want to mine you best use a dedicated peace of software and turn off everything else.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: