Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 04:23:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ethereum scientist Virgil Griffith got arrested!  (Read 112 times)
cheezcarls (OP)

Activity: 2254
Merit: 658

Revolutionized copy gaming platform

View Profile
November 30, 2019, 03:03:51 AM
Last edit: November 30, 2019, 03:24:09 AM by cheezcarls
Merited by mprep (1)

According to a press release from the Department of Justice on November 29, 2019, Virgil Griffith, resident of Singapore and U.S. citizen, was arrested for a criminal complaint where he was charged with violating, “…the International Emergency Economic Powers Act (“IEEPA”) by traveling to the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (“DPRK” or “North Korea”) in order deliver a presentation and technical advice on using cryptocurrency and blockchain technology to evade sanctions.

Read more here

Until now, I still cannot believe what just happened to Virgil Griffith. My close friend even had a relationship with him during the early days. I met this guy in person at the Boracay Blockchain Summit last January representing the Ethereum Foundation along with Chih Cheng. He was funny sometimes.

But man! Your recent actions isn't funny at all! Because you already aware about the sanctions, you still managed to travel to North Korea despite that you don't have the permission to doing so.

Sorry man, but you have to face the consequences.

P.S. Forbes was stupid enough not adding "In North Korea" to their headline. It would make others from the rest of the world thinking that teaching crypto and blockchain is illegal. Only in North Korea is illegal for now, but for other countries who banner Bitcoin, well, I'm not sure yet.

Pla
                             ▄██████████▌
████             ▐███████████▌
  ████         ▐████    ███
   ▐████     ▐████     ███       ███      ▂▃▅
     ████    ████        ███      ███████
        ███    ████        ███      ███████
         ▐██    ████        ███      ███          
                 █████         ███      ███
              █████▌         ███      ███
           █████▌            ███      ███
     ██████▌
███████
ade.win
██            ██
██            ██
██            ██
██         ██
  ▌         ██
  ▌   ██    ██
        ██    ██
        ██      ▌
        ██      ▌
        ██
        ██
.R E V O L U T I O N A R Y   C O P Y   G A M I N G   P L A T F O R M  .
██            ██
██            ██
██            ██
██         ██ 
  ▌         ██
  ▌   ██    ██
        ██    ██
        ██      ▌
        ██      ▌
        ██
        ██
█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
█ ████▀▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀████ █
█ █████▄  █ ████▀  ▄█████ █
█ ██████▄  █ █▀  ▄███████ █
█ ███████▄  █  ▄█████████ █
█ ████████▄  █ ██████████ █
█ ██████▀  ▄█▄ █ ████████ █
█ ████▀  ▄███▄  █ ███████ █
█ ██▀   ██████▄  █ ██████ █
█ ██▄▄▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█████ █
█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█
Play Smart Win Big!
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bitsurfer2014

Activity: 924
Merit: 520

View Profile
November 30, 2019, 05:34:56 AM

Its very unfortunate of him getting arrested but at least he should have known already that North Korea is being sanctioned by the U.S. by initiating  economic and trade embargoes, including the transfer of technologies with the U.S. prior approval. Its like helping an enemy of USA that anyone doing that could be easily branded as a traitor and could face severe penalties if found guilty.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: