Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 08:00:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Were there attempts to create a thing like Bitcoin before Satoshi Nakamoto?  (Read 207 times)
Baofeng
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 1655

View Profile
December 06, 2019, 09:56:04 AM
Last edit: December 07, 2019, 01:33:48 AM by Baofeng

A good place to start is the citation Satoshi added to his paper for bitcoin:
https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
To quote it:
[1] W. Dai, "b-money," http://www.weidai.com/bmoney.txt, 1998.
[.. snip ..]

^^ This one, specially Wei Dai's b-money.

You can also read email correspondence between the two here, Wei Dai/Satoshi Nakamoto 2009 Bitcoin emails.

So obviously, Satoshi just take it to the next level and was very successful as compare to its predecessors.
Mr. Dai is one of the most mysterious people behind Bitcoin. His lack of public appearances has lead some to speculate he might actually be (maybe part of) the personality behind satoshi.

His Wikipedia article reveals he's a bachelor of Science degree from the University of Washington in computer science, with a minor in mathematics. while from there we can see he was also quoted saying when asked about b-money's connection with bitcoin. :
...my understanding is that the creator of Bitcoin, who goes by the name Satoshi Nakamoto, didn't even read my article before reinventing the idea himself. He learned about it afterward and credited me in his paper. So my connection with the project is quite limited.
(Source)

It just fascinates me how this person fell out of the spotlight so much while others that received a mention by satoshi are taking advantage of titles like "founding fathers of bitcoin". And I'm not trying to discredit anyone, their work is of the utmost excellence, but to contrast the difference:

Adam Back is the founder and CEO of blockcstream, being a keynote speaker at conferences and promoting products and services from his company.
Scott Stornetta appears in crypto-related conferences representing Yugen Partners
Stuart Haber is still involved with developing and promoting commercial solutions related to blockchain after the blockchain boom.
Honorable mention although not mentioned in bitcoin's whitepaper, David Chaum, often referred to as the inventor of of e-cash, has made a comeback to crypto with his new venture: Praxxis.

[.. snip .. ]

https://steemkr.com/cryptocurrency/@satoshi-nakamoto/b-money-by-wei-dai

I'm not really sure if that is Mr. Dai himself, interesting to note that that the author uses the name Satoshi Nakamoto. He just disappear, or just wanted to remain out of the spotlight. But yes, he should be given credit as a precursor to bitcoin. There is a interesting interview with him in 2014,

https://www.lesswrong.com/posts/YdfpDyRpNyypivgdu/aalwa-ask-any-lesswronger-anything#TLvSTxuypiHBuoCLM

███████████████████████
████████████████████
██████████████████
████████████████████
███▀▀▀█████████████████
███▄▄▄█████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████
████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████▀▀██▀██▀▀█████████
█████████████▄█████████████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████▄█▄█████████
████████▀▀███████████
██████████████████
▀███████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
█████████████████████████
O F F I C I A L   P A R T N E R S
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
ASTON VILLA FC
BURNLEY FC
BK8?.
..PLAY NOW..

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
s92225

Activity: 105
Merit: 1

View Profile
December 06, 2019, 10:13:32 AM

Aliens gave this technology to us! ask Satoshi Nakamoto, he will know.
airdnasxela

Activity: 728
Merit: 254

View Profile
December 06, 2019, 10:45:18 AM

As far as I know, bitcoin wasn't the first and there were other cryptocurrencies before bitcoin. But it was bitcoin who became so successful that make way for other cryptocurrency to pop up. After bitcoin become successful, other cryptocurrency that emerged followed the path of bitcoin. Since more people started to discover crypto, altcoins become successful as well. Right now, we have a lot of coins yet bitcoin still remain domaining the market.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: