Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 06:03:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: "Game over" scenario for Bitcoin  (Read 5749 times)
dannyjpw

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 22, 2011, 09:59:48 AM

It is conceivable that consortium of powerful banks and hedge funds who are not beholden to the current oligarchical monetary system, probably not mega-banks but mid-level up and coming like Saxobank, etc, start up something like bitcoin. They are just as sick of swallowing the costs of bailing out their bigger competiton and playing byu the shit rules coming down from on top.

I don't think that is very likely. The problem with bitcoins is that they are not scarce in the limit condition, since while the number of coins per blockchain might be limited, the number of potential block chains is essentially infinite.

IMO to make bitcoin valuable there needs to be some important service or obligation that can only be obtained or settled with bitcoins. Governments use tax and legal tender laws to establish this tension of demand. While you may or may not find such a binding-of-demand morally deplorable, it is necessary for  the creation of a successful currency, whether fiat or metal or crypto.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
February 22, 2011, 10:10:25 AM

IMO to make bitcoin valuable there needs to be some important service or obligation that can only be obtained or settled with bitcoins.

Well there is, or why do you think we are all here, because we like to play with make-believe tokens?

The security and anonymity afforded by the substantial computational power, and electricity, that goes into maintaining the network integrity provides precisely that value.

If another P2P, or other network, could put up the same hardware and energy for secure, anonymous transactions then their digital units may have similar value.

dannyjpw

View Profile
February 22, 2011, 10:14:05 AM

If another P2P, or other network, could put up the same hardware and energy for secure, anonymous transactions then their digital units may have similar value.

agreed, but the similar value in question may be zero, or any other number on the 'value line'.

security is a 'necessary but not sufficient' condition for establishing currency value.

demand-binding is also a necessary but not sufficient condition.

likewise, scarcity.
no to the gold cult

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 22, 2011, 10:31:00 AM

agreed, but the similar value in question may be zero, or any other number on the 'value line'.

security is a 'necessary but not sufficient' condition for establishing currency value.

demand-binding is also a necessary but not sufficient condition.

likewise, scarcity.

I guess that's another reason to get people using btc for g&s on the internet, especially for net-based services to which btc are particularly suited.
dannyjpw

View Profile
February 22, 2011, 10:37:45 AM

I guess that's another reason to get people using btc for g&s on the internet, especially for net-based services to which btc are particularly suited.

yes, but what would make bitcoin fly is a highly valuable service that ONLY accepts bitcoins as payment.

ideally that service would be something generated by and for the community.

a simple marketplace doesn't count because there is nothing to stop two parties, having established a co-incidence of wants, to just use dollars to settle, or another cryptocurrency for that matter.
no to the gold cult

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 22, 2011, 10:47:28 AM

yes, but what would make bitcoin fly is a highly valuable service that ONLY accepts bitcoins as payment.

ideally that service would be something generated by and for the community.

a simple marketplace doesn't count because there is nothing to stop two parties, having established a co-incidence of wants, to just use dollars to settle, or another cryptocurrency for that matter.

How about that 'bitDNS' project... p2p dns should really be free though.
nounderscores

View Profile
February 22, 2011, 11:20:40 AM

dannyjpw, I've been spending a lot of time at witcoin.com.

I pays my bitcoins to vote and post, and the content is usually fun.

dannyjpw

View Profile
February 22, 2011, 11:49:31 AM

dannyjpw, I've been spending a lot of time at witcoin.com.

I pays my bitcoins to vote and post, and the content is usually fun.

that's pretty cool !
toasterthegamer

Activity: 8

View Profile
December 04, 2019, 08:32:48 AM

I doubt I could even get to the payout min of .001 btc. Also I never seem to have any shares accepted I think it's due to the network difficulty being too high maybe.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: