Bitcoin Forum
May 16, 2024, 08:05:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: addresses explanation  (Read 167 times)
pablow77 (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 12, 2019, 04:34:41 PM

Hello,
I am begginer in crypto but I got one question.

When i was receiving btc from my friend wallet, he wrote me that his wallet is X. When btc landed on my wallet, I saw that it came from wallet Y.
Now I have a question, how can I get know from who I had received btc.
For example:
to my wallet 10 ppl will send me btc, and write me only his address. THey wont say me the amount only i will know addresses, how can i find out which one is whose, etc.

Can you help me with this case? Cheesy
TryNinja
Legendary

Activity: 2842
Merit: 6991

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2019, 04:41:30 PM

The ideal would be to give each person a different address, so each one of them have an "payment address". If more than one user sent you the same amount to the same address, the only real way of making them prove is by asking them:

1. To sign a message from the address they sent the coins (what people usually do).
2. Or maybe to send a specific small amount to your address (just to prove they own the address).

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
pablow77 (OP)

View Profile
December 12, 2019, 04:47:07 PM

you mean this option, when i am sending btc and i can leave memo. But will I see this memo?
TryNinja
Legendary

Activity: 2842
Merit: 6991

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2019, 04:50:24 PM

you mean this option, when i am sending btc and i can leave memo. But will I see this memo?
What memo? If it's like a description, that's only client-side. Meaning that it's something that stays saved on the user's wallet.

There are some wallets where you (the receiver) can create payment requests (e.g in Electrum), which is a way of organizing who needs to pay you and who did that. But again, all of this is client-side.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
mk4
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 3838

Paldo.io 🤖

View Profile
December 12, 2019, 04:52:22 PM

It's not a memo. Signing a message from a certain address is pretty much just proving that a certain person owns a certain address. It's not like in the case of PayPal whereas you can leave a message everytime you send funds to a person.

Unfortunately, you being able to sign a message from an address depends on what wallet you're using; so I would prefer to use the option #2 from TryNinja's suggestion. You can simply just ask the person to send 1 satoshi to a certain address and it would suffice.

Topic: How to sign a message?! https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=990345.0

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
pablow77 (OP)

View Profile
December 12, 2019, 05:06:46 PM

Yeah, but sending 1 satoshi is quite expensive Cheesy as I remember.
So probably the best option will be to create for every client new wallet.
thank you for help
RapTarX

Activity: 1358
Merit: 850

View Profile
December 12, 2019, 05:25:14 PM

You can't send 1 satoshi, the minimum transaction is 546 satoshi (or around this amount, I can't remember the exact amount).
If you use Lightning Network, it's possible (may be) to send 1 satoshi but that will be offchain transaction & you won't find the transaction in the blockchain.

coupable

Activity: 2352
Merit: 757

View Profile
December 12, 2019, 05:51:08 PM

You can't send 1 satoshi, the minimum transaction is 546 satoshi (or around this amount, I can't remember the exact amount).
This is first time i know this information. Isn't possible to send 01 satoshi ? I thought that the minimum to send in 01 transaction is 01 satoshi + fee , and fee can also set at 01 satoshi as minimum required.
If tomorrow 1 btc becomes equal to 100 million dollars , then 1 satoshi equals to 1 usd , isn't possible to send 1 $ from a single address to another single address ?   If we can't , is this set by default in bitcoin code or can be adjusted later by a fork ?
RapTarX

View Profile
December 12, 2019, 05:57:44 PM

This is first time i know this information. Isn't possible to send 01 satoshi ? I thought that the minimum to send in 01 transaction is 01 satoshi + fee , and fee can also set at 01 satoshi as minimum required.
If tomorrow 1 btc becomes equal to 100 million dollars , then 1 satoshi equals to 1 usd , isn't possible to send 1 $ from a single address to another single address ?   If we can't , is this set by default in bitcoin code or can be adjusted later by a fork ?
You can't send less than 546 satoshis in one transaction. The minimum fee you have to pay for one transaction is ~170 satoshi; it depends on number of input & output.
About fee- https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5139978.0
About minimum amount to be sent- https://support.blockchain.com/hc/en-us/articles/210354003-What-is-the-minimum-amount-I-can-send-

ReiMomo

Activity: 2366
Merit: 305

Duelbits - $100k Bonus/week

View Profile
December 12, 2019, 06:09:54 PM

thank you for help
You can use this wallet, https://electrum.org. You can modify the transaction if what is the minimum satoshi or set your own amount in transaction fees. Tracing those addresses who send you bitcoin use this, https://www.blockchain.com/explorer. Just enter your Bitcoin address in the search engine box and you will know previous transactions you had. To verify the owner, do as suggested above to sign a message in Bitcoin address they use as proof of ownership. But I think that is not necessary.

Duelbits
█▀▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
TRY OUR
  NEW  UNIQUE
GAMES!
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
DICE 
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
███████████████████████████████
███▀▀                     ▀▀███
███    ▄▄▄▄         ▄▄▄▄    ███
███   ██████       ██████   ███
███   ▀████▀       ▀████▀   ███
███                         ███
███   ▄████▄       ▄████▄   ███
███    ▀▀▀▀         ▀▀▀▀    ███
███▄▄                     ▄▄███
MINES 
████████████████████████▄▀▄████
██████████████▀▄▄▄▀█████▄▀▄████
████████████▀ █████▄▀████ █████
██████████      █████▄▀▀▄██████
███████▀          ▀████████████
█████▀              ▀██████████
█████                ██████████
████▌                ▐█████████
██████▄            ▄███████████
████████▄▄      ▄▄█████████████
PLINKO 
█████████▀▀▀       ▀▀▀█████████
██████▀  ▄▄███ ███      ▀██████
█████  ▄▀▀                █████
████  ▀                    ████
████                       ████
█████                     █████
██████▄                 ▄██████
█████████▄▄▄       ▄▄▄█████████
10,000x
MULTIPLIER
▀▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄▄█
coupable

Activity: 2352
Merit: 757

View Profile
December 12, 2019, 06:33:09 PM

cut
546 Satoshis is the minimum required to broadcast a transaction from blockchain.com wallet. But in the bitcoin network , the minimum you can send is 0.00000001 btc as bitcoin is divisible to 8 units <decimals> . In real time, you need to be a miner to make this but it's also possible to broadcat a transaction which has inputs value equal to zero.
agentx44

Activity: 756
Merit: 268

View Profile
December 12, 2019, 06:49:06 PM

Hello,

When i was receiving btc from my friend wallet, he wrote me that his wallet is X. When btc landed on my wallet, I saw that it came from wallet Y.
Now I have a question, how can I get know from who I had received btc.
For example:
to my wallet 10 ppl will send me btc, and write me only his address. THey wont say me the amount only i will know addresses, how can i find out which one is whose, etc.

Can you help me with this case? Cheesy
There are cases where some wallets doesn't have a feature where the name is kept together with the address when sending so that may be the factor and the only way you may do to identify whose address it is through messaging those people who sent you money and check it is their ownership. Make sure also that the current wallet you are using is well secured and well trusted to avoid any unnecessary instances and be careful with scammer and always mind your wallet's safety to avoid the loss of lots of money that you worked hard for.
Krislaw

Activity: 1204
Merit: 388

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2019, 07:37:19 PM

Hello,

I think what really happened here is that your friend uses an online wallet and an online wallet isn't controlled by user, it's controlled by the main server. The wallet addresses are only assigned to each user as a unique payment ID but funds are always sent from the hot wallet when you make an outgoing transaction.
You can always add a memo as label to know what each transaction you make is for.
RapTarX

View Profile
December 13, 2019, 04:12:35 AM

546 Satoshis is the minimum required to broadcast a transaction from blockchain.com wallet. But in the bitcoin network , the minimum you can send is 0.00000001 btc as bitcoin is divisible to 8 units <decimals> . In real time, you need to be a miner to make this but it's also possible to broadcat a transaction which has inputs value equal to zero.
546 satoshi is the dust limit to avoid spam in the network. Miner will not accept transaction with lower than this amount even if you can broadcast; blockchain.com has that limit to reduce the spam or avoid complain from other people about their wallet.
Even if you are a miner, you are unlikely to get a block; without getting block, you can't confirm your 1 satoshi or below the dust limit transaction. Although technically you can send lower amount, you will never get that transaction confirmed. Paying a mining pool for confirming the transaction might work but I guess no one would do that since it will cost a lot.
In offchain transaction it's possible. For instance- coinbase to coinbase; you can send 1 satoshi as well.

You can get more info here- https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/9cdhz1/can_you_send_a_single_satoshi_to_another_address/e59vult?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x
&
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1644904.0

Legit_Alt+

Activity: 603
Merit: 7

View Profile
December 13, 2019, 10:57:19 AM

You can easily know who send btc to your by checking the agreed amount but if they are many person with the same amount you can send can reach of them to add a memo to the wallet when sending just like you said your friends has wallet x and you received from wallet y that means the received btc is from different person and to know the person you have to trace the transaction with the transaction hash on the payment received.....
OcTradism

Activity: 1750
Merit: 806

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2019, 01:46:30 PM

If you need your friend or anyone to prove that they own that address, let ask them to sign a message with the address will send coins to your wallets.

If you are only curious where the coins come from, just curious, and if between you and your friends don't have any deal that need to prove ownership of wallets (for later transactions, deals, ie.), the sign message is unnecessary.

There are some situations when senders use mixed services (from bitcoin mixer tumblers) to avoid their privacy leaks. They still send you coins but you won't know where the coins come from and who are real owners, from which wallets.

.Duelbits.
█▀▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄▄
TRY OUR
  NEW  UNIQUE
GAMES!
..DICE...
███▀▀                     ▀▀███
███    ▄▄▄▄         ▄▄▄▄    ███
███   ▀████▀       ▀████▀   ███
███   ▄████▄       ▄████▄   ███
███    ▀▀▀▀         ▀▀▀▀    ███
███▄▄                     ▄▄███
.MINES.
████████████████████████▄▀▄████
██████████████▀▄▄▄▀█████▄▀▄████
████████████▀ █████▄▀████ █████
██████████      █████▄▀▀▄██████
███████▀          ▀████████████
█████▀              ▀██████████
████▌                ▐█████████
██████▄            ▄███████████
████████▄▄      ▄▄█████████████
.PLINKO.
█████████▀▀▀       ▀▀▀█████████
██████▀  ▄▄███ ███      ▀██████
█████  ▄▀▀                █████
████  ▀                    ████
████                       ████
█████                     █████
██████▄                 ▄██████
█████████▄▄▄       ▄▄▄█████████
10,000x
MULTIPLIER
NEARLY UP TO
.50%. REWARDS
▀▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄▄█
bob123
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2019, 09:39:37 PM

You don't need to create a new wallet every time.
You just keep your wallet (the software or hardware which holds your private keys) and give each client a new address to send the BTC to.
All of these addresses will be part of your (one) wallet.

You can easily know who send btc to your by checking the agreed amount but if they are many person with the same amount you can send can reach of them to add a memo to the wallet when sending [...]

You can't add a 'memo' when sending a transaction.
Any kind of 'memo' is just client-sided inside of your wallet. This won't be transacted via the network and therefore the receipent will not see it in any way.

The best simply is to create a new address for each payment. And if its too late for that, to request a signed message proofing ownership.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: