Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 03:39:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Cryptocurrency' a misnomer for Bitcoin?  (Read 285 times)
Darooghe

Activity: 1120
Merit: 255

View Profile
December 09, 2019, 12:02:54 PM

In my opinion, money can mean many different things colloquially, but the economics something is called money if it satisfies three properties: unit of account, medium of exchange and store of value. But currencies are specific forms of money, usually printed and maintained by a government. So money is an abstract definition, but currencies like the US dollar, are money that we use in our day-to-day transactions.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
squatter
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1196

STOP SNITCHIN'

View Profile
December 09, 2019, 06:24:26 PM

And what will be the most approximate name for bitcoin? Digital currency?

According to the OP:

All-in-all I think it is incorrect to call Bitcoin 'cryptocurrency', it should be 'cyptomoney'.

And in a technical sense, he might be correct that "cyptomoney" is more accurate, but it just sounds terrible. It'll never catch on.

darkangel11
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 1337

Defend Bitcoin and its PoW: bitcoincleanup.com

View Profile
December 09, 2019, 06:26:57 PM

We can argue about cryptocurrency. Some will say the term is fine some will not because it should be crypto money, but you have to agree that crypto money sounds a bit choppy. I prefer cryptocurrency even if it's not accurate. The term is used more for altcoins than Bitcoin so I don't have a problem with it.
What I have a problem with is the term virtual money. It feels to me like a mockery, like we're talking about fake money.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
heidikim

Activity: 602
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 09, 2019, 10:17:51 PM

Bitcoin's name has now become an icon. The best advertising face of the new economic model. It's an encrypted system. A high security currency. Bitcoin arouses interest in people. People who like privacy. New names may arise. But I think bitcoin will always exist.
HarmonyA

Activity: 602
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 13, 2020, 11:59:34 PM

I've been annoyed by the application of the term 'cryptocurrency' to Bitcoin.

There is a distinct difference between Currency and Money and these terms are not interchangeable:

Currencies do not have intrinsic value (i.e. fiat paper money, promissory notes) and by extension, are poor stores of value.  There have been thousands of currencies in existance, all have become worthless because there is no intrinsic value to support the price, instead currencies rely on its users to give it value.  As a consequence many currencies may have fallen with their empires succumbing to regulatory bans, some have died simply because its users did not deem it worthwhile to use and I have no doubt a significant portion are hyperinfalted by their central authorities out of existance.

Money on the other hand has intrinsic value (i.e. gold and silver coins), a gold coin from ancient Eygpt still retains the same purchasing power today.

Bitcoin falls into the category of money, its intrinsic value is supported by its scarcity, verifiability, fungibility, portability, durability and divisbility.  While it might not be 'tangible' and useful for physical use cases like jewerly, it also has benefits Gold does not offer, for example, instant settlement of any amount of 'money' over long distances. Further, no central authority can print bitcoins into existance.  Bitcoin has also become a legitimate store-of-value which can be attributed to its supply cap and emission schedule, its been profitable for 94% of its existance and has not lost its purchasing power which would be consistent with the traditional definition of 'money'.

All-in-all I think it is incorrect to call Bitcoin 'cryptocurrency', it should be 'cyptomoney'.

Thoughts?
For a currency to have a steady worth, it must be a viable facilitator of exchanges. For a money to be that, it must be omnipresent. The universality of a cash, and the expansion of significant worth that accompanies it, is alluded to as the system impact. The more broadly a money is utilized, the greater adaptability that cash needs to encourage exchanges, which balances out its worth, in light of the fact that basically, the more individuals acknowledge it as a substantial type of installment, the more individuals will utilize it as a type of installment. What's more, as a cash's universality rises, so too does its worth.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: