Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 02:22:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Asic.to Firmware 17Series • Optimized efficiency/Performance •  (Read 8383 times)
danieleither

Activity: 191
Merit: 390

View Profile
July 17, 2020, 04:29:17 PM

I already informed taserz about this problem long ago, but it wasn't that noticable for me. Fee is 3% and danieleither is losing almost 14% of his hashrate (if he is saying truth as I do not see any pictures).

My difference is closer to 5-7% instead of 3% but that is only if I OC. As soon as I downclock, it's closer to 4-5% (which is still higher than 3%) but it's nowhere near the 14% that danieleither is saying.

I've no reason to lie about it. Which pool were you testing with?

Perhaps the difference varies with different settings, but there IS a difference and it's significant, which gives me trust issues. If the hashrate reported is inaccurate, how can I trust that the power consumption is accurate, or reported chip temperatures etc.

I'm not saying I'd never use this firmware, but for the 2 x units I tested on (which are perfectly healthy, albeit 9 months old) - I think stock firmware is best for now.

I may use this in future for underclocking, but I won't trust the figures in the GUI.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mikeywith
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 6316

be constructive or S.T.F.U

View Profile
July 17, 2020, 10:09:11 PM

I've no reason to lie about it. Which pool were you testing with?

I know you don't, I tend to trust your words but it's common sense that you should provide a proof to support such a serious claim, I have interacted with you a lot of times and as I said I do tend to believe you, but if people ask for a proof you shouldn't take it personal, it's normal, now back to the real subject:

I highly think that there is something techinally wrong here, there are a ton of reasons why would your mining gear report less hashrate on the pool than shows on the miner status page, in order for anyone including the firmware devs to troubleshoot the issue - a few informations are needed.

1- Ping stats to the pool.
2- Screenshot from the miner status page that shows everything from time-elapsed, hashrate, hardware errors, stale, rejected, and etc.
3- Screenshot from the pool status showing all hashrate related details.
4- The kernel log.

There is a good chance that your gears simply didn't like the firmware and they were mining with a ton of hardware errors, or during the test your connection to the pool got lousy and a good amount of shares got lost in the way, or the miner was tunning for a whole hour or so (not exactly hashing to the pool) and you took that time into considerations, I mean there is a lot of reasons that can cause a huge difference of 14%, one of them of course is the dishonesty of the dev-fees which i highly doubt in this given situation.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
favebook

Activity: 604
Merit: 416

View Profile
July 17, 2020, 10:17:54 PM
Last edit: July 18, 2020, 12:50:43 AM by frodocooper

[...]

I used slushpool.

Power consumption is an estimate and every unit draws different amount at same speed. Reported chip temperature SHOULD be valid as it's drawn from temp sensors same as in original Bitmain firmware. For underclocking it's great, for some overclocking results, I am not sure what is going on. We will have to wait for taserz to come and chime in.

Meanwhile, if you haven't reverted back yet, take some screenshots and copy/paste Kernel Log in .txt file so we can check what is going on.
JamesB88

Activity: 8
Merit: 5

View Profile
July 24, 2020, 08:38:22 PM

Hey guys, I see earlier in the thread there was mention of the asic.to firmware working with the S17e's? Is this correct? Don't see it on the website available for download, unless you just use the S17 version of the firmware.
favebook

View Profile
July 24, 2020, 09:25:28 PM

Hey guys, I see earlier in the thread there was mention of the asic.to firmware working with the S17e's? Is this correct? Don't see it on the website available for download, unless you just use the S17 version of the firmware.

No, there was no mention of asic.to firmware working with S17e or T17e. And no, that is not correct, it does not support it.

You can use it for T/S17 (Pro) and S17+.
taserz (OP)

Activity: 799
Merit: 293

Created AutoTune to saved the planet! ~USA

View Profile
September 02, 2020, 03:55:13 AM

Working on S17e and T17e. It's almost done

WhatsMiner firmware soon to come. Big clients feel free to reach out as big clients will get to demo it before the public to prevent WM from trying to patch it.

Autotune Firmware for S19 and S19j! Overclock, Underclock, AutoTuning. Asic.to The MOON Increased hashrate, improved power efficiency 30w/TH up to 85th/s!!Mining bitcoin since 2011 • Best nerd decision of my life
favebook

View Profile
September 02, 2020, 11:06:22 AM
Last edit: September 03, 2020, 02:40:00 AM by frodocooper
Merited by mikeywith (1)

mikeywith was interested in WhatsMiner firmware, not sure if he personally wanted it or not.

I guess since you mentioned that both the T17 and the T17e firmware are doing good then I suppose the T17+ should work just fine on a proper machine, it seems like thierry finally cracked the 17 series secret, I hope he and all the other firmware devs start looking into MicroBT gears, there is no custom firmware for all the MicroBT gears, although MicroBT has sold many more gears than Bitmain did for the past couple of months.
mikeywith
Legendary

View Profile
September 02, 2020, 06:06:34 PM
Last edit: September 03, 2020, 02:40:20 AM by frodocooper

I don't fit under the "big clients" category by any means  Grin, I also don't have that many MicroBT gears, although I plan to get rid of all Bitmain Asics and move to MicroBT, the recent price spike and the pandemic came in the way, my gears were supposed to be at least 30-40% MicroBT by now, but for now the numbers favor the fact that I don't sell/buy any gears and just mine on with what I have.

Having said that, once I migrate all the available power I have from Bitmain to MicroBT gears, I would love to try the custom firmware.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
taserz (OP)

View Profile
September 02, 2020, 07:28:22 PM
Last edit: September 03, 2020, 02:40:41 AM by frodocooper

Always have a special place in my heart xD

We can make it happen so you can try it out. There is a reason need to keep it private and it's because MicroBT doesn't like firmware and because they don't like firmware that means they are terrorists. THAT'S RIGHT I ACCUSED THEM

Autotune Firmware for S19 and S19j! Overclock, Underclock, AutoTuning. Asic.to The MOON Increased hashrate, improved power efficiency 30w/TH up to 85th/s!!Mining bitcoin since 2011 • Best nerd decision of my life
mikeywith
Legendary

View Profile
September 02, 2020, 10:19:13 PM
Last edit: September 03, 2020, 02:41:15 AM by frodocooper

Always have a special place in my heart xD

Thanks Marc, it's great to know that I am special and you trust me.  Roll Eyes

There is a reason need to keep it private and it's because MicroBT doesn't like firmware and because they don't like firmware that means they are terrorists. THAT'S RIGHT I ACCUSED THEM

If they don't want custom firmware on their mining gears they should at least develop one that works as people need it to work, the fact that people use custom firmware and pay fees on top of that is clear evidence that these stock firmware suck big time, if they want to kick you guys out of the market all they have to do is make a firmware that does it's job the way it is supposed to, but I don't see that happening any time soon.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
favebook

View Profile
September 02, 2020, 10:34:01 PM
Last edit: September 03, 2020, 02:41:41 AM by frodocooper
Merited by NotFuzzyWarm (2), mikeywith (1)

Imagine big companies like Bitmain and MicroBT buying out small developers like Taserz/Vnish/Thierry/Chipless, and instead of custom firmwares being made, they make awesome default firmwares which everyone would love!

Imagine that dream coming true... Dream on!
taserz (OP)

View Profile
September 02, 2020, 11:02:27 PM
Last edit: September 03, 2020, 02:42:03 AM by frodocooper

Funny enough... You know I will just wait on this one.

NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3584
Merit: 2482

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
September 03, 2020, 12:37:14 AM
Last edit: September 03, 2020, 02:43:01 AM by frodocooper

Imagine big companies like Bitmain and MicroBT buying out small developers like Taserz/Vnish/Thierry/Chipless, and instead of custom firmwares being made, they make awesome default firmwares which everyone would love!

Imagine that dream coming true... Dream on!

^^ So spot-on, one of the few times I quote in entirety. Merit given Cheesy

Or... Talk to Steve the Global Marketing Director (afaik) at Canaan and strike up a deal. He's here in the Forum and quite approachable. Sounds like a perfect Marketing tool for them - out of the box tweakability. (like Avalons *used* to have...) Wink

Prior to their A10xx on up there was no real need for 3rd party FW because they implemented quite a sizeable laundry list of things you can tweak.

A10xx on up uses what they call FMS vs straight-up cgminer/BMminer and previous OpenWrT/LuCi. Not sure how much of the API is directly supported but - it still has exceedingly good hooks for gathering data and tweaking performance down to the chip level.

Problem is, while basics for setting freq, fan speed, Vcore and a few other bits of Kano's cgminer API is of course supported Canaan has been less than helpful giving us back our switches... Speaking of which, even Kano with his very good dev contacts at Canaan has not been able to get much out of them about what what all the API or lower-level FMS switches are. Think you folks could strike up a deal with them?

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
mikeywith
Legendary

View Profile
September 03, 2020, 01:26:50 AM

Well, that will be something, I already see a few issues beforehand from trust to money, will MicroBT pay these devs more money than what they already make? will they trust them not to release any parts of it? are the devs willing to go to China?  Roll Eyes

A couple more obstacles are ahead, the most important one is the financial incentives for MicroBT/Bitmain, what is the motive to hire and pay these devs when people are paying a premium for gears that are subject to ROI in well over 1.5 years and come with their shitty firmware? motives are close to zero, business is going fine the way it is now.

With that being said, and as we have discussed in the difficulty thread, the more we advance in this technology, chip size alone won't be the all and end all of it, getting the last bit of your gear out through the firmware will be everybody's interest, at one point in the future everyone will want to have a firmware that can tune their gears to get the max benefits be it more hashrate or more efficiency, when that time comes, I don't see why these giants manufuturer couldn't use the help of people like Tas and Thierry.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
favebook

View Profile
September 03, 2020, 10:39:20 AM

True true... But let's shatter my dream a bit with cold reality.

Why would Bitmain give such a good firmware to everyone? I mean, you are correct mikey, if people are already paying such premiums, why would they given anything in return? Maybe they could start selling firmwares as addition (+50$ cost or something like that) to miners, but that would probably be a hassle for them.

Also, one more reason they will *probably* never do something like that:
S17Pro

Just look at it, after newest firmware of S9 (which came with incremental speeds) this is the only miner that came with multiple speeds IIRC. What did it accomplish? Nothing... Turbo just made more gears break and even Normal wasn't stable on all of them.

Now imagine giving power of overclocking to newbie, who is rich AF and just bought 50k units and starts overclocking all of them to the roof because he has cheap electricity and he wants to fully use his gear. He is going to break at least 30% of his gear by overvolting. Be that PSU or burned hashboards due to high temps or whatever else that could happen. Now who is here to blame? Bitmain that supposedly gave people power of overclocking and also gave warranty with it (which they would never do - one more problem here. Give people power of overclocking but they break warranty if they do OC) or user who pushed his gear too far because he doesn't know anything about OC-ing.

Yes, a lot of us would be happy if Bitmain did include awesome new customizable firmware. But realistically, that is NEVER going to happen.

Now Cannan/MicroBT are different stories, they could do something like that and maybe even become bigger than Bitmain over years when people figure out how much better their firmware and machines are. But that is also a dream... A dream that will probably never come true as Bitmain is here to stay it seems. And stay AT TOP that is.
taserz (OP)

View Profile
September 06, 2020, 04:13:44 PM
Last edit: September 07, 2020, 12:00:51 AM by frodocooper

Prior to their A10xx on up there was no real need for 3rd party FW because they implemented quite a sizeable laundry list of things you can tweak.

What info do you have on that?

Also, let's just say I had some friends help get them to open the source code publicly.

There is a reason they don't want to give that out. Also, what does Kano know? I just had to patch a bug that has been in cgminer for god knows how long and it took a week to figure out where it was. (I am kidding Kano about what do you know trying to not trigger you).

Give people power of overclocking but they break warranty if they do OC) or user who pushed his gear too far because he doesn't know anything about OC-ing.

Yes, a lot of us would be happy if Bitmain did include awesome new customizable firmware. But realistically, that is NEVER going to happen.

Now Cannan/MicroBT are different stories, they could do something like that and maybe even become bigger than Bitmain over years when people figure out how much better their firmware and machines are. But that is also a dream... A dream that will probably never come true as Bitmain is here to stay it seems. And stay AT TOP that is.

Hey how do you know my pitch...

Also MicroBT does not like firmware. I have bitched at them back and forth for months and they patched every secuirty exploit they thought we were using. Luckily they are fucking horrible at security and there are so many flaws to get in... Stay tuned.

House Xylander

Activity: 97

View Profile
October 16, 2020, 09:46:03 PM

Which firmware is for the s17 Pro?

Just want to be sure before I go tinkering around.

Also how does this compare to vnish and brainsos+ firmwares out there?
mikeywith
Legendary

View Profile
October 16, 2020, 10:55:31 PM
Last edit: October 17, 2020, 11:59:51 PM by frodocooper

As far as I know, S17 Pro and S17 (non-pro) use the same exact firmware, so you can use the S17 version for your S17 Pro, I am 99.99% sure about this theory but to be 100% sure wait for Tazy to confirm it, you can also reach out to him on Telegram where he is most active.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
House Xylander

Activity: 97

View Profile
October 16, 2020, 11:50:57 PM
Last edit: October 18, 2020, 12:00:12 AM by frodocooper

Thank you, will do.
mikeywith
Legendary

View Profile
October 18, 2020, 09:14:17 PM

Thank you, will do.

I confirmed from Taserz that my previous reply is accurate, for your S17 pro you should indeed use the S17 version.

Good luck.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀