Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 02:07:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: KYC with Bitstamp!  (Read 3587 times)
MatTheCat (OP)

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 01:19:37 PM

WTF is this!?

Cheeky fucking bastards, seriously, this has just put me right off that fkn place.

"Dear Matthew,

We received your withdrawal request. As it met some of our volume and frequency thresholds we require that an additional KYC (know your customer) procedure is completed before we can proceed with the processing of your transfer.

We kindly ask you to answer the following KYC questionnaire:
1. How did you learn about Bitcoin?
2. The purpose of trading on Bitstamp? Please describe in as much detail as possible how you intend to use your trading account.
3. What is the origin of the so far deposited Bitcoins? If mining, please specify your hardware specifications and submit a receipt or an invoice for your mining equipment.
4. What are your future plans and activities planned on our exchange?
5. Do you plan more withdrawals in the future?
6. Which bank are you using? Please provide the complete address and SWIFT code.
7. Estimated amount that you would be depositing/withdrawing to/from your Bitstamp account per month (in USD and BTC)?
8. What is the source of the funds which you have so far deposited to your Bitstamp account? Please provide any financial documentation which can confirm how the funds sent to your Bitstamp account were acquired.

We kindly ask you to submit your answers and documents in a reply to this ticket.
"

Best regards,
Blaž Šteblaj

Kraken Account, Robbed/Emptied. Kraken say "Fuck you, its your loss": https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1559553.msg15656643#msg15656643

Bitfinex victims. DO NOT TOUCH THE BFX TOKEN! Start moving it around, or trading it, and you will be construed as having accepted it as an alternative means of payment to your USD, BTC, etc.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TTM

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 08:00:39 PM

Their questions are really stupid and make no sense. AML/KYC is good, but they have gone too far. Take out all your funds then find another exchange.

Just send them this thread. They are business, not FBI.
MatTheCat (OP)

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 01:37:53 PM

2 days later. Still nothing. My request needs to be further processed apparently. (I never provided them with documentary evidence of where I got my money from, that is none of these fkn jokers' business)

Bottom line is that I am paying out into the same bank account as I used to put funds into Bitstamp in the first place. They have all my personal details, passport, utility bills etc, So what here is the problem at their end? This is worse hassles than I would get with any bank.

I say there is a policy of delaying tactics at Bitstamp when any largish sum of money is involved. Isn't this not how Gox started off? Delaying, restricting, suspending currency withdrawals, shortly before admitting they were bankrupt?

Kraken Account, Robbed/Emptied. Kraken say "Fuck you, its your loss": https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1559553.msg15656643#msg15656643

Bitfinex victims. DO NOT TOUCH THE BFX TOKEN! Start moving it around, or trading it, and you will be construed as having accepted it as an alternative means of payment to your USD, BTC, etc.
Dr.Zaius

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 03:22:14 PM

Hello.

I am having a similar problem with Bitstamp. I was always wary of these exchanges and tended to stay away from them. After researching Bitstamp, I decided to give it a try. Buying and selling bitcoins was easy, the website loaded fast and support verified my account quite quickly. My first withdrawal for dollars(4digits), was processed quickly and I had funds within 5 days(international). So I decided to try a bit larger amount on March 16th. and support has messaged me with those exact questions. I answered all of them honestly, but they asked for some type of supporting financial document? I have never been asked for this by any traditional brokerage, nor bank. I am sure they are just trying to play it safe, but Mt. Gox also used a facade of AML/KYC compliance as an illusion to portray legitimacy. I have also asked them under what financial supervisory board/agency are they currently regulated under in UK or EU to collect this type of information. They said it was "internal procedures." I am a verified user with Bitstamp having both my passport and a copy of my bank statement, which I have used to withdraw.

My last contact with bitstamp support has been about 24hrs. I am sure they will take care of this as these small shops are usually swarmed with support requests. I have asked bitstamp to cancel my request, so I can simply withdraw via BTC and close my account. I am simply not going to put up with this type of nonsense out of a company that is not registered with any regulatory agency, yet is pretending to be at the forefront of regulation. We've seen this before.

I think what is most disturbing about these exchanges is how quick they are to accept deposits, but when it comes to withdraw suddenly there are all sorts of "compliance." Yet, no laws are ever cited by them. Why do they not ask this questionnaire during the account opening procedure? That is standard practice at most legitimate financial institutions when opening accounts.

Does bitstamp have anyone on this forum to PM to speed things up?

MatTheCat (OP)

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 03:42:50 PM

Hello.

I am having a similar problem with Bitstamp. I was always wary of these exchanges and tended to stay away from them. After researching Bitstamp, I decided to give it a try. Buying and selling bitcoins was easy, the website loaded fast and support verified my account quite quickly. My first withdrawal for dollars(4digits), was processed quickly and I had funds within 5 days(international). So I decided to try a bit larger amount on March 16th. and support has messaged me with those exact questions. I answered all of them honestly, but they asked for some type of supporting financial document? I have never been asked for this by any traditional brokerage, nor bank. I am sure they are just trying to play it safe, but Mt. Gox also used a facade of AML/KYC compliance as an illusion to portray legitimacy. I have also asked them under what financial supervisory board/agency are they currently regulated under in UK or EU to collect this type of information. They said it was "internal procedures." I am a verified user with Bitstamp having both my passport and a copy of my bank statement, which I have used to withdraw.

My last contact with bitstamp support has been about 24hrs. I am sure they will take care of this as these small shops are usually swarmed with support requests. I have asked bitstamp to cancel my request, so I can simply withdraw via BTC and close my account. I am simply not going to put up with this type of nonsense out of a company that is not registered with any regulatory agency, yet is pretending to be at the forefront of regulation. We've seen this before.

I think what is most disturbing about these exchanges is how quick they are to accept deposits, but when it comes to withdraw suddenly there are all sorts of "compliance." Yet, no laws are ever cited by them. Why do they not ask this questionnaire during the account opening procedure? That is standard practice at most legitimate financial institutions when opening accounts.

Does bitstamp have anyone on this forum to PM to speed things up?

Yep. There is no good reason for any of this. Never come across it before with any kind of online account I have ever held. They have my passport scan, proof of home address and the bank account I am paying out to is the same one I have paid thousands in from. There should be no problems with this but it seems that with Bitstamp, there is for some reason.

Dr.Zaius

Activity: 28

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 03:47:29 PM

Just an update.

Bitstamp cancelled my dollar withdrawal request and I was able to withdrawal bitcoins. I am going to end up closing my account with them.

I understand compliance and transparency, but it works both ways. If exchanges are expecting customers to be compliant with government regulations, then they themselves should obtain real licenses and be subject to supervision by the relevant authorities. I am not willing to submit loads of private information to a bucket shop, we've already seen how that ends up. Exchanges should also ask these compliance questions and inform potential customers in clear bold writing during the application process, instead of holding withdrawals hostage later on.

Good luck  

Sindelar1938

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 04:17:20 PM

Excellent points, drzaius

I concur completely. Arseholes.

MatTheCat (OP)

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 11:03:28 PM

Withdrawal request confirmed by Bitstamp 72 hours after making request.

Not the horror story I was fearing in the end but they are surely shooting themselves in the foot with these totally unnecessary and senseless measures.....just making people feel nervous about using the place.

juve4v

Activity: 505
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 09:32:59 AM

WTF is this!?

Cheeky fucking bastards, seriously, this has just put me right off that fkn place.

"Dear Matthew,

We received your withdrawal request. As it met some of our volume and frequency thresholds we require that an additional KYC (know your customer) procedure is completed before we can proceed with the processing of your transfer.

2. The purpose of trading on Bitstamp? Please describe in as much detail as possible how you intend to use your trading account.
3. What is the origin of the so far deposited Bitcoins? If mining, please specify your hardware specifications and submit a receipt or an invoice for your mining equipment.
6. Which bank are you using? Please provide the complete address and SWIFT code.
7. Estimated amount that you would be depositing/withdrawing to/from your Bitstamp account per month (in USD and BTC)?
8. What is the source of the funds which you have so far deposited to your Bitstamp account? Please provide any financial documentation which can confirm how the funds sent to your Bitstamp account were acquired.

We kindly ask you to submit your answers and documents in a reply to this ticket.
"

Best regards,
Blaž Šteblaj

This is outrageous! If they do this to me I would close my account next day! What another exchanger/trader  would  you use for EU?
Bonio

Activity: 127

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 12:33:35 PM

Just an update.

Bitstamp cancelled my dollar withdrawal request and I was able to withdrawal bitcoins. I am going to end up closing my account with them.

I understand compliance and transparency, but it works both ways. If exchanges are expecting customers to be compliant with government regulations, then they themselves should obtain real licenses and be subject to supervision by the relevant authorities. I am not willing to submit loads of private information to a bucket shop, we've already seen how that ends up. Exchanges should also ask these compliance questions and inform potential customers in clear bold writing during the application process, instead of holding withdrawals hostage later on.

Good luck  

I totally agree with this sentiment. Im not saying exchanges should be regulated but if they arent then neither should be the users.

OrphanedGland

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 13, 2014, 07:23:42 AM

I am having the same problem with Bitstamp.  I have made a sizable deposit which they have confirmed receiving, but will not give me access to it, and have started additional KYC even though I have already handed over personal details such as passport. 

I have now provided them evidence of where the money came from, although I don't think this should be required.  My funds still remain tied up, with support response times of longer than a day to each individual message.

Note that each additional reply made to a support message puts it at the end of the queue, so no proper dialogue with support is possible:

"Please note that if you reply to your own ticket this "bumps down" your ticket as our system is designed to give older tickets priority over the more recent ones.

Best regards,
Tomaž Bertoncelj"

The support team is severely understaffed, and no live chat support is in place.

I have now been waiting 4 days to get access to the funds since they were received by Bitstamp, even though I had already complied with KYC requirements.  I disagree with the level of questions asked, and the process should have started at the point the deposit is initiated, not received.  It smacks of a site that is simply trying to cover their own asses rather than serve their customers to the level deserved given the amount of money in question.

Let this be a warning to anyone considering using Bitstamp, I will personally be seeking out a more professional site, if one exists.
V.Kodoff

Activity: 195

The Skin GURU/We all love the abused trust system

View Profile
April 13, 2014, 03:33:18 PM

You can try to contact them via skype if they have one.
I guess searching it with their official email can give it try

Before you think anything bad agaisnt me based on the abused trust system,check out the link which will redirect you to the reasons why i have negative trust.
There is many proofs how the btctalk trust system is abused by trollers for no reason.
Hunyadi
Legendary

Activity: 1281

☑ ♟ ☐ ♚

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 04:37:41 PM

I have this problem too. Unbelievable stuff. I have deposited far more money in Bitstamp than I now try to withdrawal. They should know that after MtGox's funky business, bitcoin community is really sensitive to these kind of withdrawal problems.

▂▃▅▇█▓▒░B**-Cultist░▒▓█▇▅▃▂
coiner8

Activity: 65

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 09:03:45 PM

I am having the same problem with Bitstamp.  I have made a sizable deposit which they have confirmed receiving, but will not give me access to it, and have started additional KYC even though I have already handed over personal details such as passport. 

OrphanedGland and others, what type of amounts are we talking about here?  It would be good to give at least rough amounts that got flagged for additional KYC so that others will know if they are likely to face the same issues when they deposit.
RayG

Activity: 50

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 02:27:18 PM

Same problem here. I tried to withdraw $3500 and those clowns sent retarded questions instead of money. Next MtGox is inevitable.
troiste

Activity: 140

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 08:39:26 AM

Its called regulation folks, deal with it.

This is the so called regulations that governments want. If companies don't do this the exchanges can be shut down...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Know_your_customer
Nemo1024
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1014

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2014, 12:05:30 PM

Just got that message from them and provided the basic information, sans any attachments for question 6. That is strictly between myself and Norwegian tax authorities.

Strange that I get this now, after almost year of trading at Bitstamp and after both depositing and withdrawing far larger amounts multiple before.  Huh This time it was just $1600 of deposit that triggered it, and I sent the money a week ago!

Wonder if I should consider moving to https://justcoin.no/

“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”
“We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided.”
“It is important to fight and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated.”
Moedas :D igitais

Activity: 77

Want to mine coins? BTC, LTC, DOGE.

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2014, 03:33:34 PM

I guess its because they are based in the US, and the laws are getting stricter, therefore the extra KYC.
I personally use Kraken. Its seems more flexible on the verification process.
Up to 10K usd /month the verification is done solely online.
If you want more than that, then normal ID, proof of residence, etc.

Shame about their prices on the exchange tho... can't have it all...

Brut

Activity: 32

View Profile
May 06, 2014, 05:38:11 PM

Eventually when business reaches Bitstamp's scale, they have to deal with KYC policy. And those silly questions hadn't been created by Bitstamp, but by their processing bank or audit company. The question is if its time to switch to the other exchanges that are not as big as Bitstamp but could provide better service?
Nemo1024
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1014

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2014, 08:11:35 PM

I had to give in and provide a pay slip...  Undecided
But I'll be looking closer at https://justcoin.no/ just in case.

“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”
“We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided.”
“It is important to fight and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated.”
RiceXD

Activity: 1

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 07:50:42 AM

I have deposited a fairly large sum on bitstamp on 09 MAY but until now it is still not being credited yet, and it is extremely frustrating. They have also send me the same KYC questionaire and I do also think this goes too far. Undecided
OCG

Activity: 20

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 04:43:30 PM

I suggest to anyone from Bitstamp on this forum to put out a statement explaining why they are asking all these questions suddenly. It will seriously deter new customers I am sure. Does anyone know a Bitstamp member on this forum? Or any other way to contact them besides their support mail?

On the other hand, it's a great chance for other new exchanges to get a larger market share thanks to Bitstamp!  Wink
newIndia
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1049

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 04:55:58 PM

WTF is this!?

"Dear Matthew,

"

Best regards,
Blaž Šteblaj

They are fucking up their own business this way. As of yet there are not many good competitors. But by the end of 2015 we'll get a lot of good ones and then all this fucktards be thrown at dustbin... similar to Mt. Gox.

MrPiggles

Activity: 980
Merit: 256

Decentralized Ascending Auctions on Blockchain

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 03:01:36 PM

They did this to me and it took 6 months to get my funds out

▄▄████▄
          ██▀▀  ▀██▄
     ▄▄▄▄██▀      ██▄▄▄▄▄
   ▄██▀▀▀▀▀       ▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
   ██     ███▄▄▄▄██▀     ██
   ██      ▀▀▀██▀▀       ██
  ▄██                    ██▄
  ██▀       ██████       ▀██
  ██        ██  ██        ██
  ██       ███  ███       ██
 ███       ███  ███       ███
 ███       ███  ███       ███
 ██▀       ███  ███       ▀██
▄██        ████████        ██▄
███                        ███
 ███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███
  ▀████████████████████████▀

iBid

Decentralized Auctions
on Blockchain
  ▄██

▀██
██████████████████████████████████
▄ ▄▄
██▄▀██▄
████▄▀▀██▄
██████▄ ▀███▄▄
████████▄ ▀███▀ ▄
██████████▄ ▀ ▄████▄
██████████▀ ▄ ▀███▀▀
████████▀ ▄███▄ ▀
██████▀▄████▀▀
████▀▄███▀
██▀▄█▀▀
  ▀▀
GET IN ON
Google Play
██▄
  █
  █
  █
  █
  █
██▀
  ▄██

▀██
█████████████████████████████████
          ▄▄█
         ▄██▀
    ▄▄▄  ▀▀▄▄▄▄
 ▄███████████████
▄██████████████▀
███████████████
███████████████
▀███████████████▄
 ████████████████▀
  ▀█████████████▀
   ▀████▀▀▀███▀
Download on the
App Store
█████████████████████████████████
██▄
  █
  █
  █
  █
  █
██▀

About us
Telegram
██████████████      ██████████████
██████████████      ██████████████
███████████████    ███████████████
█████████████        █████████████
███████████            ███████████
████████████████  ████████████████
██████████              ██████████
██████████  ████  ████  ██████████
█████████    ██    ██    █████████
█████████    ██    ██    █████████

███ SIGN UP ███
██████████▀▀▀▀████████████████████
██████████▄▄    ▀▀▀███████████████
██████████  ▀▀ ▄▄  ▄██████████████
█████████        ▀████████████████
████████▀        █████████████████
██████▀▀▀▄▄     ██     ▀▀▀████████
██████▄     ▀▀▄▄███▄         ▀████
█████████▄▄▄   ███████▄▄       ███
███████████████████████████▄▄▄████
████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████████████████
███▀             ▀████████████████
███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████████████

All auctions start at $0
with no minimum reserve

AN  AUCTION
Pushtheghost

Activity: 169

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 06:48:32 AM

As a new player in this field I am troubled by the information needed to deal with a exchange and the fees that are associated with it.
The problem is the greed of the exchanges,its the only reason this is being passed on by all of them. If they said no dice and new exchanges kept popping up people
would get it. It would hurt short term but eventually it would win.

Reason I was interested in Bitcoin is it was going to screw the banks and their ever more tightening grip on our finances. What the hell do we have if this kind of B.S is allowed?

JMO
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: