Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 07:49:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Idea To Inform people of Bitcoins  (Read 1331 times)
7482 (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 17, 2011, 03:13:45 PM

So as most of us know Bitcoins have been deflating in price partly due to a lack of merchants excepting them and mainly people just not knowing what they are. And as most of us most likely know, Wikipedia is begging for money again. Why not help both causes? Get Jimmy to accept BTC and say so on the webpage. People are like.. WTF are BTC, proceed to wiki it..... Huh? Profit.

Anyway just an idea if anyone wants to go about it.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
November 17, 2011, 03:56:07 PM

It's been suggested, they declined to accept bitcoin, citing concerns with the Charities Commission. 

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=50158.msg614878

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
Bitman_Began

Activity: 41

View Profile
November 18, 2011, 01:45:00 AM

No, it's all the scams and the lack of trust in BTC that is letting the value of them down. We need more security, that's all...
Stn

Activity: 227
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 19, 2011, 02:51:37 PM

Security is not a major problem of Bitcoin. The lack of infrastructure is.
Flyers66

Activity: 20

View Profile
November 19, 2011, 03:59:41 PM

print out fliers  Grin
Tuxavant

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

Bitcoin Mayor of Las Vegas

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2011, 05:03:02 PM

Seriously guys... The properties of Bitcoin will sell itself... but people aren't going to learn about those properties by you sitting on your ass and not singing it from the mountain tops. Pass out fliers, talk to people, encourage your friends to use it by giving a few free micro bitcoins away.

If you believe in Bitcoin, it shouldn't be a chore. If you enjoy movies, you'll pay for the entertainment. If you enjoy everything that is Bitcoin, you can just as easily "pay for the entertainment" by sharing a little with someone else that might be interested too.

Edit: If you're already involved with Bitcoin, you've already made the leap of faith to purchase or trade something for them.. it is a hurdle for most new people to create an account, link a bank account, etc.. help them out, by offering a few to play with. wet their tastebuds so to speak... then they'll be more likely to walk a little further into the rabbit hole on their own. Then replace them and consider it an entertainment expense (or how ever you need to justify it in your own head). Would you buy your friend a coffee just for the experience of chatting with them for a few minutes? same thing can be done with Bitcoins.

Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
November 19, 2011, 06:36:29 PM

I didn't come to bitcoins because I "believed" in some left wing ridiculous libertarian ideals that the world will be turned upside down by a bunch of people hashing strings in their basement.

I came to bitcoin because I was looking for a payment solution as a social network developer.

Bitcoin is unique, that's for sure, but projects don't "sell themselves" no matter how unique they are. Proper presentation and access sells it. MyBitcoin was the best (and worst) thing that ever happened to bitcoin.

I understand that it's damaging to the libertarian extremists to sell bitcoin as an 'ordinary payment method' because BITCOIN! But bitcoin is only powerful when people use it, and people will only use it if it's easy. Fuck the PC client, fuck the exchanges, we need a paypal for bitcoin.

Everything else can function as a supporting underbelly. You don't 'reach' the masses by being as nerdy, cryptic and complicated as possible, or Microsoft and Apple would already be out of business.

casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2011, 07:51:13 PM

I didn't come to bitcoins because I "believed" in some left wing ridiculous libertarian ideals that the world will be turned upside down by a bunch of people hashing strings in their basement.

I came to bitcoin because I was looking for a payment solution as a social network developer.

Bitcoin is unique, that's for sure, but projects don't "sell themselves" no matter how unique they are. Proper presentation and access sells it. MyBitcoin was the best (and worst) thing that ever happened to bitcoin.

I understand that it's damaging to the libertarian extremists to sell bitcoin as an 'ordinary payment method' because BITCOIN! But bitcoin is only powerful when people use it, and people will only use it if it's easy. Fuck the PC client, fuck the exchanges, we need a paypal for bitcoin.

Everything else can function as a supporting underbelly. You don't 'reach' the masses by being as nerdy, cryptic and complicated as possible, or Microsoft and Apple would already be out of business.

This post is fucking brilliant to the point of being worthy of framing, and amazingly came from Matthew N. Wright.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2011, 08:22:00 PM

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
Tuxavant

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2011, 08:26:22 PM

and amazingly came from Matthew N. Wright.

Quoting is the only way I see his posts. And, yes, amazingly, I agree with this one sans the hyperbole.

Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
November 19, 2011, 08:27:35 PM

You are full of surprises.

Jonathan Ryan Owens
Donator

Activity: 392
Merit: 252

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2011, 09:49:54 PM

Where can I buy one of these for framing?

Valalvax

Activity: 437
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 19, 2011, 09:52:44 PM

Is that a shop or did you really get that etched into the table?
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2011, 09:57:05 PM

There is exactly one.  I'll offer it auction style, starting price 1 BTC in 1 BTC increments.  If only one person wants it, then it goes for 1 BTC.

Winning bid plus actual shipping cost gets it.  (Actual shipping is 2.5 BTC in the USA, 6 BTC outside the US, can combine with an order for physical bitcoins).

It is not etched into the table, it is etched into a rectangular piece of hardwood.  It weighs just under 1 lb.

Jonathan Ryan Owens
Donator

Activity: 392
Merit: 252

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2011, 10:00:15 PM

There is exactly one.  I'll offer it auction style, starting price 1 BTC in 1 BTC increments.  If only one person wants it, then it goes for 1 BTC.

Winning bid plus actual shipping cost gets it.  (Actual shipping is 2.5 BTC in the USA, 6 BTC outside the US, can combine with an order for physical bitcoins).

It is not etched into the table, it is etched into a rectangular piece of hardwood.  It weighs just under 1 lb.

Post the link to the auction once you've put it up. I'll open the bidding with 2 BTC

Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
November 19, 2011, 10:00:41 PM

Can I pay you to make another with your quote quoting me in double quote boxes as a come-back that you will pretend to be surprised by?

casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2011, 10:08:58 PM

The link:

https://www.biddingpond.com/item.php?id=1036&mode=1

casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2011, 10:11:42 PM

Can I pay you to make another with your quote quoting me in double quote boxes as a come-back that you will pretend to be surprised by?

If you win it, I will etch anything into the BACK of the piece that you want (which is currently blank).  This was a scrap piece of hardwood and I only had one piece to play with.

Tuxavant

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2011, 12:28:37 AM

You, sir, are a Bitcoin Whore. 8D

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: