Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 05:34:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What is "COINBASE (Newly Generated Coins)" in all blocks  (Read 206 times)
RapTarX (OP)

Activity: 1358
Merit: 850

View Profile
December 18, 2019, 02:42:27 PM

I was checking all the latest blocks on blockchain.com for learning some stuff. When I clicked on the miner link, I see all the block rewards have the same message-"COINBASE (Newly Generated Coins)" as displayed in the image below.
What's that referring to? I guess all these mining pools are not controlled by Coinbase, nor mining pools are using Coinbase address. How Coinbase is connected here?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mocacinno
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4919

https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2019, 02:44:01 PM

it's the block reward. It has nothing to do with coinbase (the company).

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining#Reward

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
RapTarX (OP)

Activity: 1358
Merit: 850

View Profile
December 18, 2019, 02:46:02 PM

it's the block reward. It has nothing to do with coinbase (the company)
What's the name COINBASE is referring to? Not the company? Then what? I was thinking it has something to do with the exchange coinbase.com, no idea what other COINBASE is existed in the crypto world  Huh

It's just another name for the block reward... Sure, there is a company using the same name, but they are not related.
That makes sense. I was confused when I saw COINBASE everywhere.

Edit again- I know about block reward but never heard that it can also be defined as COINBASE. Thank you for the great explanation.

mocacinno
Legendary

Merit: 4919

https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2019, 02:48:54 PM
Merited by RapTarX (1)

What's the name COINBASE is referring to? Not the company? Then what? I was thinking it has something to do with the exchange coinbase.com, no idea what other COINBASE is existed in the crypto world  Huh

It's just another name for the block reward... Sure, there is a company using the same name, but they are not related.

Same goes for blockchain (the technology) and blockchain (the company).

I have to admit it can be confusing, but it's basically just a company that used a technical term as it's name. Don't overthink this one Wink

btw: i was still editing my previous post while you were replying... I added a link to more info in case you want to read up on block rewards.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Merit: 4615

View Profile
December 18, 2019, 02:53:18 PM

it's the block reward. It has nothing to do with coinbase (the company)

FIRST there was a concept of a "coinbase transaction" (It was the description for the type of transaction that pays the block reward to the miner).

Then, many years later, someone formed a company that was going to be an exchange for Bitcoin.  They decided that they wanted to name their company after this transaction type because it would be a familiar word to people that understood Bitcoin.

So, the name of the company is referring to the transaction type, not the other way around.

It's the same with "Blockchain".

FIRST there was the concept of a "blockchain" (It was a description for cryptographically linking blocks of data together).

Then, many years later, someone formed a company that was going to create a website that allowed users to see Bitcoin transactions.  They decided that they wanted to name their company after this concept of linking blocks of data together because it would be a familiar word to people that understood Bitcoin.

So, the company/website Blockchain.info is referring to the pre-existing concept, not the other way around.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: