Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 12:55:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitaddress.org wallet details section  (Read 167 times)
Aygooz (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 15, 2020, 07:08:21 PM

Hi guys, so i saved the site and ran it offline, my first question is when i create a paper wallet with BIP 38 encryption, if i enter the private key in the wallet details section of the site to check if i entered the password correctly, does the wallets private key get compromised because i entered them in the wallet details section?, i know it may be a stupid question because i ran the site offline but just want to make sure.
My second question is this: after creating the paper wallet offline, do the created private keys and private keys that i entered in the wallet details section get saved in the bitaddress file that i ran offline and therefore accessible or not?, thanks for your time.
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
o_e_l_e_o
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 18510

View Profile
January 15, 2020, 08:39:41 PM
Merited by pooya87 (1)

does the wallets private key get compromised because i entered them in the wallet details section?
and therefore accessible or not?
The answer to both questions should be no, but could very well be yes.

Firstly, the bitaddress file that you downloaded will not save the private key. However, you could very well have any number of malicious programs or malware on your device which will save your private key, and could transmit it to an attacker once you re-establish internet connectivity.

Ideally, you should be running bitaddress on a permanently air gapped device - that is, one which will never have an internet connection again. If it unfeasible for you to use a permanently air gapped machine, then you should be booting in to a completely clean install of a live OS from a USB drive while your computer is offline, and running bitaddress on that.
BitMaxz
Legendary

Activity: 3248
Merit: 2965

Block halving is coming.

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2020, 09:00:25 PM
Merited by Baofeng (1)

does the wallets private key get compromised because i entered them in the wallet details section?
If you run it offline then you are safe.

My second question is this: after creating the paper wallet offline, do the created private keys and private keys that i entered in the wallet details section get saved in the bitaddress file that i ran offline and therefore accessible or not?,

No, they won't since you run bitaddress website as offline it should be only generated from your PC and it won't send any keys from your PC to Bitaddress online.

Just be careful to any phishing websites from this list {Warning}: Bitaddress.org Phishing websites

Or better use the opensource one from here https://github.com/bitaddress/bitaddress.org

and Like the o_e_l_e_o  said always make sure that your device is clean before you generate private key offline because there is a chance that they can get your private key from offline so once you go online again it will send automatically to unknown/hacker and stole your wallet.

Anyway, can you access the bitaddress.org?
I can't access the website right now it seems they are under DDOS attack?

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████