Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:27:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Why would I want 10 Ferraris, when I can help my people'  (Read 253 times)
Cnut237
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1277

View Profile
January 15, 2020, 09:18:19 PM

I stand corrected in part. Here is the difficult part to consider correctly.

If the wealth of the 1% were distributed among the rest of the world, the wealthy would no longer have it. This is important because the fact that the wealthy have wealth is the reason other people "obey" them. If the wealthy didn't have the wealth, the whole world would change. Why? Lack of incentive to do things to improve, because the ability to become exceedingly wealthy would no longer be a "thing." If it were a thing, the wealth wouldn't have been distributed from the wealthy in the first place.

So, it isn't as simple to think about as might appear at first. Without the wealthy people, the whole structure of things would have to change, including the mindsets of the poor people. Are we smart enough to envision what the world would be like under those circumstances?

Cool

That's an interesting and valid point. I'm going to end up meriting every damn post in this thread.

I would argue that monetary wealth is only a barometer of success because consumerism is so embedded in our society. We are conditioned to believe that the accumulation of monetary wealth is the primary goal in life. Further I would argue that the people who currently pursue money as the ultimate aim are not really pursuing money at all, they are pursuing power... it's just that in our societies, money equates to power. We don't live in democracies, we live in plutocracies where money rules and is the ultimate arbiter of success. Money is not the goal though, it is the route to the goal, which is power. The word 'obey' in your post is correct and helps to reveal what lies beneath money.

There will probably always be people who want power and prestige, but money doesn't have to be the path that leads to it. I'm not suggesting some unworkable communist utopia, merely that money is only powerful because we give it power; it has no inherent power of its own. Realistically there has to be a degree of inequality in order to give people something to strive for, but the inequality doesn't have to be so huge, and it certainly doesn't have to manifest as money or as the means to actually be able to get food and shelter and medicine and to survive. We can and should move beyond that.

As to what an achievable alternative could be, who knows? It is difficult to envisage something different because the current system has become so entrenched. As you say, the whole structure of things would have to change, including mindsets. It may be difficult, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try.

If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BADecker
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 1365

View Profile
January 16, 2020, 12:04:45 AM

I stand corrected in part. Here is the difficult part to consider correctly.

If the wealth of the 1% were distributed among the rest of the world, the wealthy would no longer have it. This is important because the fact that the wealthy have wealth is the reason other people "obey" them. If the wealthy didn't have the wealth, the whole world would change. Why? Lack of incentive to do things to improve, because the ability to become exceedingly wealthy would no longer be a "thing." If it were a thing, the wealth wouldn't have been distributed from the wealthy in the first place.

So, it isn't as simple to think about as might appear at first. Without the wealthy people, the whole structure of things would have to change, including the mindsets of the poor people. Are we smart enough to envision what the world would be like under those circumstances?

Cool

That's an interesting and valid point. I'm going to end up meriting every damn post in this thread.

I would argue that monetary wealth is only a barometer of success because consumerism is so embedded in our society. We are conditioned to believe that the accumulation of monetary wealth is the primary goal in life. Further I would argue that the people who currently pursue money as the ultimate aim are not really pursuing money at all, they are pursuing power... it's just that in our societies, money equates to power. We don't live in democracies, we live in plutocracies where money rules and is the ultimate arbiter of success. Money is not the goal though, it is the route to the goal, which is power. The word 'obey' in your post is correct and helps to reveal what lies beneath money.

There will probably always be people who want power and prestige, but money doesn't have to be the path that leads to it. I'm not suggesting some unworkable communist utopia, merely that money is only powerful because we give it power; it has no inherent power of its own. Realistically there has to be a degree of inequality in order to give people something to strive for, but the inequality doesn't have to be so huge, and it certainly doesn't have to manifest as money or as the means to actually be able to get food and shelter and medicine and to survive. We can and should move beyond that.

As to what an achievable alternative could be, who knows? It is difficult to envisage something different because the current system has become so entrenched. As you say, the whole structure of things would have to change, including mindsets. It may be difficult, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try.

But the way isn't to take the wealth from the wealthy directly. The way is to become as shrewd (corrupt?) as they are and get the wealth back from them by outsmarting them. Why won't most of us do this? Because the wealthy aren't really all that happy. And often it is their wealth that makes their life miserable.

Relax. My dad used to say that he would rather be rich and miserable than poor and miserable. I wonder what he would have said if he was rich and miserable?

Cool

BUDESONIDE essentially cures Covid symptoms in one day to one week >>> https://budesonideworks.com/.
Hydroxychloroquine is being used against Covid with great success >>> https://altcensored.com/watch?v=otRN0X6F81c.
Masks are stupid. Watch the first 5 minutes >>> https://www.bitchute.com/video/rlWESmrijl8Q/.
Don't be afraid to donate Bitcoin. Thank you. >>> 1JDJotyxZLFF8akGCxHeqMkD4YrrTmEAwz
AbelBaricStevenson

Activity: 35
Merit: 5

View Profile
January 16, 2020, 12:22:14 AM

You could loan out 9 of the Ferrari's - for free - to 9 poor people so they have a way to get to work. Keep one for yourself so you have a way to work.

Cool

It is not the best way. Buy enzo or la Ferrari new. don't drive it much and don't lend to another.
Keep and they will go 5x in value in 10 yrs. Sell 2 and the poor can have the same. If the poor one need money quicker. Can get secured loan at low rate. Can get secured loan at 3percent. Then repeat with new rare model each release help more of poor ones like this.
countryfree
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
January 17, 2020, 12:52:29 AM

Hey, let's consider the huge amount of money paid in tax to buy and register 10 Ferrari sports cars.
A fleet of 10 cars is also expensive to insure and service.

You don't help anyone by keeping your money in a bank, but you do a lot if you spend it on cars. I know that very well, I've spent big money on cars...

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: