Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 03:48:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Non-Fungible Tokens  (Read 178 times)
theghostok (OP)

Activity: 59
Merit: 5

View Profile
January 16, 2020, 02:44:33 PM

Hi! After a quick search I realized there's no thread yet to discuss NFT, or non-fungible tokens.

A non-fungible token is a digital asset that has some attributes that makes them unique (in the case of ERC-721 tokens), or at least limited (ERC-1155). What does it means it that, for example, you can create a unique token that depicts an art piece, or a digital pet (imagine a Pokémon with unique attributes), or a limited-edition of, let's say, 10 rare pets that share the same attributes (those pets will be fungible, but still rare).

A good example is the ENS, or Ethereum Name System (sort of a DNS for Ethereum addresses). You cannot buy 10000 ENS at once as you can with BTC; instead, you buy one at a time, and depending on the availability, you can end up owning twitterbot.eth, cocacola.eth, or some random garbage like fbnjshfjsahfsf742.eth. As with traditional domain names, each one is unique (you cannot have two copies of cocacola.eth), and each one has its own intrinsic market value. There's an additional value to ENS: you can use it as a name-resolver in Etherscan, Metamask, etc. For example, my ETH address is beckermatic.eth. You can use that right away in Etherscan, and it will resolve the “colloquial” ENS into my address.

There are other NFT that are somewhat fungible: limited-editions, like some weapons in decentralized games, can share the same attributes among a few amount (think about weapons in Diablo II: most of them are common, even crap, but some of them are rare, and even unique).

Now, you can still buy a NFT using crypto, but just one at a time, or a bundle at a time. Currently, the most-known “exchange” for NFT is OpenSea, where you can buy, sell, or even bid for any NFT in existence. There are also other marketplaces more specialized, like KnownOrigin (for crypto-art), as well as MakersPlace and others.

IMHO, there's a good market here waiting to be discovered. Right now it's still niche. What do you think about the subject?

ETH.Town was always a scam, I alerted you, you didn't listen.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: