Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 01:15:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Decentralized Law - How Do We Get There?  (Read 279 times)
DecentralizedLaw (OP)

Activity: 10
Merit: 3

View Profile
February 27, 2020, 11:12:42 AM

The question is can we really have a decentralized law, yes we can and this is because environment differs and our reaction and interaction is part of our realities and our systems, custom and traditions including norms and laws are a function of them. I think however that the laws don't differ from crimes like murder which is usually either life imprisonment or death sentence.

Law is about more than imprisonment and death sentences...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DecentralizedLaw (OP)

Activity: 10
Merit: 3

View Profile
February 27, 2020, 11:38:18 AM

Is arbitration really the way to go in settling disputes in the crypto industry? If we are talking about small cases then I think three parties can do it but if we are talking about big civil and criminal cases then I think  we need the judicial system to handle it for us. Settling disputes is something being already done now in our world and with the crypto industry I don't think it will work well. For on most cases we have are either from scams or stolen crypto both of which cannot be solved without seeking any help from the government. Think about a decentralized law helping us, do you think it would be any better on our part?
I support this opinion. Think of cryptocurrency not as a thing that is bigger than anything, it is still part of the cyberspace and saying that you should have a decentralized law which could be subjected to many reforms, plus a lot of things can happens while this is implemented, this law sounds like just a netiquette. If people are voting to pursue this, then governing bodies will have to agree on and your suggested rules and regulations will again be subjected to laws that will conform different country. On a side note, cryptocurrency is very hard to govern because this was its selling point from the very start, the anonymity it offers.

This process of interaction of decentralized law with national governments I have named Legal Reflexivity. I got this idea from George Soros. He applies it to finance, though. For example, most people base their valuation of a stock price on the fundamentals of a company. The amount of profit. Costs. Etc. But if a stock tanks, it might also affect the fundamentals of the company. Maybe a bank wants to see a higher interest rate on a loan, or suppliers start to charge differently. So not only do the fundamentals influence the stock price, the stock price also influences the fundamentals. Their relationship is reflexive.

The same can be seen in the legal systems. Judges and legislators don't live in a bubble, they are influenced by market practices, news and public opinions. If you can influence this, you influence the law (George Soros is, some might say unfortunately, very good at this). The process of law creation is not linear, and governments look at how things are done around the world. As such, private parties can massively influence law creation (in certain areas). Examples have been given above.

If crypto communities come up with their own rules and standards for cooperation that are fair and clear governments really don't have much to say about it. And maybe they might incorporate some ideas because why reinvent the wheel? Just look at what has happened with copyright licenses, for example. Non of this is new...

Thank you for introducing me to the concept of netiquette. I didn't know it.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: