Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 09:47:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I was interviewed about Bitcoin on more than 100 Radio stations! ~100K Listeners  (Read 10863 times)
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2011, 05:42:57 PM
Last edit: November 18, 2011, 05:55:49 PM by BadBear

7. We hope, They will end the government's control of the money supply.
In the future, this may be able to limit the government's control of the money supply.

FTFY.

I like it.  I hope he listens to the good advice in this thread, promoting the illegal things you can do just perpetuates to a bad image some may have about bitcoin already.  Don't appeal to just Libertarians, go for a wider audience.  Besides, this forum could use a more diverse political population.    Wink

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
btc_artist

Activity: 154
Merit: 101

Bitcoin!

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2011, 05:44:24 PM

@BadBear - I agree 100%.

BTC: 1CDCLDBHbAzHyYUkk1wYHPYmrtDZNhk8zf
LTC: LMS7SqZJnqzxo76iDSEua33WCyYZdjaQoE
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 18, 2011, 05:55:20 PM

I would downplay the whole IRS thing.  Just tell the listeners that Bitcoin, if set up properly, can provide financial privacy.  If the listeners are liberty advocates, they will understand the implications.

+1 this.  I hope the OP catches this suggestion and uses it.

Use more generalized terms like "financial privacy", "assets immune to seizure", "can't be manipulated by central banks to steal your wealth through inflation".

The listener will frame the talking points to their own situation.

If someone wants to cheat the IRS, buy illegal drugs, move money offshore, hide their activity from govt scrutiny, etc will be "read into" those open ended statements. 

You get the same effect without directly advocating tax fraud as an advantage to a national audience.  "Bitcoin is the best way to commit felonies" is not a good marketing strategy.  It attracts all the wrong attention and may turn off people who have no interest in buying drugs or cheating on their taxes but otherwise may be reception to Bitcoin.

cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 18, 2011, 05:57:14 PM

Even though it's true, I don't much like the idea of emphasizing the "shady" properties of bitcoin (tax dodging, money laundering, purchasing illegal drugs, etc.)

Doing so just seems like it would just invite the wrong kind of attention from the government, and gives them fuel with which to go after bitcoin.  Not that there's much interest from political types at this point, but I could see them a few years down the road pointing to this interview and saying "see, it's a tool for tax dodgers and criminals, even it's proponents admit it!"

Seems bitcoin has enough other positive properties (non-reversible, anonymous, worldwide, etc.) that emphasizing the illegal uses isn't really necessary.

+1
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2011, 05:58:45 PM

Someone who wants to cheat the IRS will instantly identify a personal meaning for "financial privacy" and "immune to seizure" however it is much better if the OP isn't the one advocating it (even indirectly).

Exactly, and people who don't want to cheat will avoid it because it of the stigma created.  Just get the information out there about what it is, and leave it up to the people to decide their use for it.  

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
November 18, 2011, 06:14:28 PM

I have been studying the mobile payment systems that are currently being introduced and are on the horizon for a few weeks now.

what painfully becomes obvious within a few minutes of looking at this issue is how every Tom, Dick, and Harry middleman is racing to get in btwn the payer and seller while at the same time introducing their "fee" into the tx.  you name the system; NFC, Square, Paypal, Starbucks in house system, whatever, you'll find a credit card company, a POS vendor, a bank, a telecom trying to insert themselves into the system.

we all know mobile payments is the wave of the future.  Bitcoin can clearly offer far superior services and lower fees, not to mention simplicity, to all digital mobile tx's.
teukon
Legendary

Activity: 1246

View Profile
November 18, 2011, 06:48:36 PM

Less is more.  I might start with:

Bitcoin is like gold but that you can send though the internet.  If you are careful, no-one can know about your bitcoins but you.

In expanding on Bitcoin's qualities I would focus on the properties that would appeal to your audience but in a subtle way.  Try to appear almost naive to the tremendous power that Bitcoin promises mankind while being clear and accurate about its positive qualities.  This way many of the listeners will naturally realise the true potential of Bitcoin on their own and hence be more motivated to get involved themselves.
istar

Activity: 523
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 18, 2011, 06:54:40 PM

Bitcoin is not company owned, its not owned by any government, its owned by me you and everyone.
This means there is noone who can or will collect your shopping information.
Which both VISA and Mastercard recently was revealed to do.

Bitcoin is freedom.

When paypal froze Occupy Wallstreet, they used bitcoin.
Paypal froze diaspora the free facebook alternative.
They now have bitcoin.

Also mention its spreading all over the world. That china have two exchanges.

Bitcoins - Because we should not pay to use our money
Gavin Andresen
Legendary

Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2011, 07:01:41 PM

The hosts of Free Talk Live know quite a lot about Bitcoin-- I had lunch with them last year (there's a thread in here somewhere about that....).

RE: "don't emphasize the potential illegal uses" -- mmmm.  Last I heard, Ian was enthusiastic about the Silk Road, so I'd expect it to be part of the conversation.

And I think one of the people associated with the show (I'm being vague because I don't want to reveal something they don't want revealed) lost some bitcoins when MyBitcoin went away, so I'd expect security/trust issues to be raised, too.

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
November 18, 2011, 07:15:17 PM

The hosts of Free Talk Live know quite a lot about Bitcoin-- I had lunch with them last year (there's a thread in here somewhere about that....).

RE: "don't emphasize the potential illegal uses" -- mmmm.  Last I heard, Ian was enthusiastic about the Silk Road, so I'd expect it to be part of the conversation.

And I think one of the people associated with the show (I'm being vague because I don't want to reveal something they don't want revealed) lost some bitcoins when MyBitcoin went away, so I'd expect security/trust issues to be raised, too.

Oh god. Is Bruce Wagner there too?

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 18, 2011, 08:59:44 PM

Might be a good idea for OP to ready to field those kinds of questions.  I would bring up things like multi-signature contract, wallets like Strongcoin where the operator never has the private key. 

Bring every question back to Bitcoin = digital cash and needs to be treated as such.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2011, 09:47:46 PM

I love how this thread is progressing. Let's keep it up, folks, hoping Roger with MD soaks it all in and gives one hell of an interview.

I have one comment on the quote below which is not The Interview related (ref. in bold):

Government would still be able to collect as much revenue through taxes as before, if bitcoin was the only currency in use. Basically they would just have to utilize only VAT tax and land tax for all of their tax revenue, by adjusting these two taxes (that are close to impossible to dodge) tax revenues could end up being exactly the same as before.

The only reason why government wouldn't like this kind tax system is because, as mentioned, tax dodging would be difficult no matter who you are, so oligarchic and corporate interest groups would suddenly have to follow the same rules as everyone else.

No matter how a countries tax revenue is structured, it's safe to say that the net/gross intake will not stay the same as years past.
Steve

Activity: 868
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2011, 10:03:12 PM

Mention that "bitcoin is the most powerful computational system ever organized by mankind for a common purpose."  In one sense, the internet itself is the most powerful computational system ever organized, but it's not for a common purpose.  I think many people, upon hearing that, would  think that there must certainly be a powerful idea behind this if that many people are devoting that many resources toward this common purpose.  You could get into the geeky stats (i.e. more powerful than the top 500 super computers combined), but I think that actually takes away from the message.  People start thinking more about the numbers and less about the bigger picture.

(gasteve on IRC) Does your website accept cash? https://bitpay.com
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
November 18, 2011, 10:12:24 PM

I would make a grocery list of all the known features and benefits of Bitcoin. There are as yet unknown business opportunities that have yet to be explored. If the reporter tries to steer you into "gotcha" questions, bring up something "you just thought of" that changes the conversation. In other words keep the focus on the frontier spirit of this technology.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2011, 12:15:58 AM

I would make a grocery list of all the known features and benefits of Bitcoin. There are as yet unknown business opportunities that have yet to be explored. If the reporter tries to steer you into "gotcha" questions, bring up something "you just thought of" that changes the conversation. In other words keep the focus on the frontier spirit of this technology.

And, by no means let this happen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6UpGrgbdnU
Xenland
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1003

I'm not just any shaman, I'm a Sha256man

View Profile
November 19, 2011, 12:57:35 AM

Its a good thing I waited before investing into the a radio spots on freetalklive
MemoryDealers (OP)
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1052
Merit: 1105

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2011, 03:24:11 AM

Everyone,

Thank you for your input.

For those concerned about the illegal aspects of Bitcoin,  I they will surely come up durring the interview.
The main host openly admits that he refuses to pay federal income taxes because he doesn't support the things the federal government does.
He spoke of the silk road way back in 2010 as the potential "killer app" for bitcoins.

I understand that many people have very different political views,  but please keep in mind that the majority of the listeners to this radio show
think:

1.Taxation is the moral equivalent of theft.
2. The draft is the moral equivalent of kidnapping and slavery.
3. The government is the most successful organized criminal gang in a particular area.
4. Because of the first three items,  they want nothing to do with the state.

I understand that most people do not agree with the above,  but because most listeners of this show do,  I think they will be interested in my original points.
If I was going on the Oprah Winfrey show,  I should certainly use a different list of talking points.

I will continue to monitor this thread for about the next 10 hours.
I will post the interview on youtube as soon as it is available.

Thank you all for your advice.
I am taking all of it into consideration.

cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
November 19, 2011, 03:29:57 AM

we trust your judgment and understanding of Bitcoin, Roger.  go get 'em!
nmat

Activity: 602
Merit: 501

View Profile
November 19, 2011, 03:31:05 AM

If I was going on the Oprah Winfrey show

Now this would be something. Cool
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2011, 03:44:48 AM

Everyone,

Thank you for your input.

For those concerned about the illegal aspects of Bitcoin,  I they will surely come up durring the interview.
The main host openly admits that he refuses to pay federal income taxes because he doesn't support the things the federal government does.
He spoke of the silk road way back in 2010 as the potential "killer app" for bitcoins.

I understand that many people have very different political views,  but please keep in mind that the majority of the listeners to this radio show
think:

1.Taxation is the moral equivalent of theft.
2. The draft is the moral equivalent of kidnapping and slavery.
3. The government is the most successful organized criminal gang in a particular area.
4. Because of the first three items,  they want nothing to do with the state.

I understand that most people do not agree with the above,  but because most listeners of this show do,  I think they will be interested in my original points.
If I was going on the Oprah Winfrey show,  I should certainly use a different list of talking points.

I will continue to monitor this thread for about the next 10 hours.
I will post the interview on youtube as soon as it is available.

Thank you all for your advice.
I am taking all of it into consideration.

Excellent insight on freetalklive's listener base but remember, somewhere down the road another interview may take place with a different type of audience, as you mentioned, and taboo talking points could easily come back to haunt us.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: