Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 05:27:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin upgrades and FATF (Travel Rule)  (Read 143 times)
Bttzed03 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1149

https://bitcoincleanup.com/

View Profile
January 28, 2020, 04:11:47 AM

Please check this topic first before reading mine - [D-8] Bitcoin is getting 3 major upgrades - Schnorr, Taproot and Tapscript

After reading the topic above and some of the comments there, I had this thought that exchanges might have another trouble/headache from regulators once Bitcoin's upcoming upgrades are implemented. It is said that these will not only improve scalability, they will also increase the privacy of bitcoin transactions.

~
The two things most of us want and which has been debated on a lot is scalability
and privacy. In my sinple language and understanding of the technical details of
Bitcoin both Schnorr and Taproot will add more "value" and "usability" and potentially
take back some of that from mixing services and privacy projects like Monero
and Zcash.

The idea of masking transactions is exciting, significant and a real game changer
in my opinion.

As such, Taproot offers all the benefits of MAST, while under normal
circumstances no one will ever know that a regular transaction was hiding
such a complex smart contract as a fallback.

When the FATF travel rule was released, some exchanges started delisting privacy coins like Monero (XMR), Zcash, Super bitcoin, Horizen, etc. in order to comply with the guidelines (I've written about it in this topic). Exchanges will find it hard to delist BTC and I doubt they will do so but I cannot tell for sure what will be the response of FATF to the increased privacy of Bitcoin. One thing is certain though, they cannot stop its development and they cannot stop people from using it.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
January 28, 2020, 06:35:36 AM

These upgrades would give Bitcoin users more privacy when making multisignature transactions. An exchange can still ask strange questions about the provenance of your bitcoins, or where you're sending them off to, and/or freeze/ban your account, and these upgrades won't change that, especially if the FATF travel rule ends up being enforced.

Signature space available for rent.
Bttzed03 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1149

https://bitcoincleanup.com/

View Profile
January 28, 2020, 08:46:39 AM

~
An exchange can still ask strange questions about the provenance of your bitcoins, or where you're sending them off to, and/or freeze/ban your account, and these upgrades won't change that, especially if the FATF travel rule ends up being enforced.
I agree that those upgrades won't change how exchanges will act. There are exchanges that are already asking for proof of funds but I have never heard of one asking where users send their funds to. That's probably what FATF will require exchanges to do once the travel rule becomes mandatory.

I won't be surprise if they force all exchanges to go 100% full KYC too. There will be no more minimum of xx amount of btc as an added measure.
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
January 28, 2020, 02:25:42 PM

but I have never heard of one asking where users send their funds to. That's probably what FATF will require exchanges to do once the travel rule becomes mandatory.

Binance Singapore made the news a couple weeks ago when they suspended a user's account just because he withdrew his coins to Wasabi.

I think Bitstamp was known for asking what a user intends to do with their coins, too.

Signature space available for rent.
Linkkoin

Activity: 476
Merit: 88

Online Cryptocurrency Exchange

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2020, 04:25:17 PM

In cases like that, the most likely solution would be that you may not be able to get your withdrawal accepted unless you can prove that you are the verified/registered owner of a wallet (supposedly from some sort of a white list accepted by authorities as meeting FATF standards).

Online cryptocurrency exchange - https://linkkoin.com
Buy BTC, ETH, XRP, BCH, EOS, LTC, XMR, REP, ETC, ZEC with credit/debit card
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071

View Profile
January 28, 2020, 04:26:43 PM

After reading the topic above and some of the comments there, I had this thought that exchanges might have another trouble/headache from regulators once Bitcoin's upcoming upgrades are implemented.

not really

hiding branches in a script isn't anything like the privacy offered by e.g. Monero. All that happens is the transaction doesn't need to write unused parts of the script to the blockchain, it's a waste of storage space. The part (i.e. branch) of the script that does get used in a transaction is still written to the blockchain, and any third party who takes an interest in a taproot transaction will therefore still know what happened, they just won't know what alternatives could have happened

These upgrades would give Bitcoin users more privacy when making multisignature transactions.

not quite.

a taproot address makes any script based spending conditions more private, not just multisignature conditions (multisignature is just one possible type of script)

Vires in numeris
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: