Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 02:38:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin 0.9.0 FINAL is available [Changelog] [Download]  (Read 38263 times)
dave3

Activity: 344
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 02:13:51 PM

File --> Sending Addresses...
File --> Receiving Addresses...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rallasnackbar

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 02:18:14 PM

File --> Sending Addresses...
File --> Receiving Addresses...

Too late, already uninstalled that crap, and back to 0.8.6

Why the hell do devs have to change something that is fine.
Scarecrow

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 02:30:59 PM

Dont download this, the receive bitcoin address list is missing. And you have to start over.

I was just about to do this upgrade, what exactly is the problem you're referring to?
rallasnackbar

Activity: 196

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 02:37:14 PM

Dont download this, the receive bitcoin address list is missing. And you have to start over.

I was just about to do this upgrade, what exactly is the problem you're referring to?

The receive list as we know it is fucked. This is what it used to look like https://bitbargain.co.uk/s/img/sign_message.png

The new one looks like you have to fill out a note from grandma evertime you want to receive coins,.
Scarecrow

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 02:42:19 PM

Thanks for the heads up.

I'll hold back and await further developments.
CaptEmulation

Activity: 134

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 02:44:59 PM

Great release!  I've been using the RC and appreciate the features separating the wallet from the server (network).  Send TX new UI was also needed.  Also getbestblockhash is a small time saver.

Edit: Well as pointed above, some problems with UI.  I was mostly focusing on bitcoind in my evaluation.

GrapeApe

Activity: 476

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 03:00:48 PM

what is the easiest way to upgrade bitcoin-qt on ubuntu to this version?

I'm on Mint but expect it's the same for you. I couldn't just double run the bitcoin-qt as I coudl with 0.8.6 but it runs when started from the command line.
So, cd ~/bitcoin-0.9.0-linux/bin/32 and ./bitcoin-qt &

Wow thanks I have been pulling my hair out here. To think that simple solution was probably there for me the whole time. Why is my Ubuntu 12.04 trying to use gedit to open the executable? The icons for them is the paper one and gedit is set as default to open them. What is different to make Ubuntu not recognize them as executables?
alexeft
Legendary

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

I'm on Mint but expect it's the same for you. I couldn't just double run the bitcoin-qt as I coudl with 0.8.6 but it runs when started from the command line.

Wow thanks I have been pulling my hair out here. To think that simple solution was probably there for me the whole time. Why is my Ubuntu 12.04 trying to use gedit to open the executable? The icons for them is the paper one and gedit is set as default to open them. What is different to make Ubuntu not recognize them as executables?

The file does not have the "executable" permission probably. Right click on it and add the permission.
crazy987

Activity: 252

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 03:34:24 PM

Great!
Serge
Legendary

Activity: 1050

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 03:36:30 PM

are there any no longer used data files at %appdata%/bitcoin that are safe to get rid off for the sake of extra disk space?  

i think i'm seeing 2 blockchains in mine, one in folder 'blocks' that is current and an older chain at the root of %appdata%/bitcoin that stopped updating over a year ago, around 6 gigs. is it safe to dump it?
Yes, you can get rid of that one, but it's just a hard link to a file in the blocks folder, so deleting it doesn't actually free up any space.

thanks. although i'm not sure that's the case with hard linking.
split files in blocks folder are 131MB  while at the root only one of them 131MB and other 4 files vary between 1-2gigs

i think that's the old chain format back from 2011-12 that isn't being used as back few client version updates the blockchain i believe was rebuilt to a new format
alphateam

Activity: 1036
Merit: 531

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 03:43:54 PM

it seems that the new wallet not like folder with é or è  Sad
I have an é in my folder name, and unable to install the file of the first launch on it. Other folders no problem
GrapeApe

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 03:55:58 PM

The file does not have the "executable" permission probably. Right click on it and add the permission.

Uuhh yeah thanks... It's checked, but for some reason gedit is set as default application to open it with and if I remove it as default app Ubuntu doesn’t know what to do with it. It's no big deal I was just curious why Ubuntu isn't recognizing it as an executable. All of the binaries in the bin directory are doing this...
wumpus

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 03:58:50 PM

Uuhh yeah thanks... It's checked, but for some reason gedit is set as default application to open it with and if I remove it as default app Ubuntu doesn’t know what to do with it. It's no big deal I was just curious why Ubuntu isn't recognizing it as an executable. All of the binaries in the bin directory are doing this...
It's because we are compiling/linking with -pie. This adds address space randomization, which is a security/hardening feature that makes exploits more difficult. But it means that the executable is seen as a shared library by naive tools such as "file" and seemingly the Gnome file manager.

I have an é in my folder name, and unable to install the file of the first launch on it. Other folders no problem
Seems a problem with UTF8 in file names. Strange. What OS?

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
GrapeApe

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 04:02:53 PM

It's because we are compiling/linking with -pie. This adds address space randomization, which is a security/hardening feature that makes exploits more difficult. But it means that the executable is seen as a shared library by naive tools such as "file" and seemingly the Gnome file manager.

Yep that explains it perfectly. Thanks to all that responded and a Big Thanks to the devs.

Edit: And yes I am using the Gnome file manager.....
alphateam

Activity: 1036
Merit: 531

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 04:30:53 PM

Win 8.1 64bits
wumpus

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 04:41:54 PM

Win 8.1 64bits
OK created an issue
https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/3916

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
C. Bergmann

Activity: 803
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 04:46:54 PM

Some stupid questions.
How to uninstall the old client? Just delete the folder and the appdata? Do I have to delete the blocks also?
(btw.: I redirected the block-directory, can someone tell me the command line again?)

▄▄████▄▄
▄████████████▄
▄▄█████▀▀    ▀▀█████▄▄
▄█████▀▀            ▀▀█████▄
▄███▀       ▄████▄       ▀███▄
███      ▄██████████▄      ███
███    ▄██████████████▄    ███
███    ████████████████    ███
███    ▀██████████████▀    ███
███      ▀██████████▀      ███
▀███▄       ▀████▀       ▄███▀
▀█████▄▄            ▄▄█████▀
▀▀█████▄▄    ▄▄█████▀▀
▀████████████▀
▀▀████▀▀
Gabro███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
WHITEPAPER
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
TOKEN SALES
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
mmeijeri

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

Martijn Meijering

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 04:49:20 PM

Don't delete the data folder (answered earlier in this thread). Especially not your wallet.dat!!! Well, at least not until you're 100% sure you've backed up the latest version properly.

ROI is not a verb, the term you're looking for is 'to break even'.
wumpus

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 04:50:00 PM

How to uninstall the old client? Just delete the folder and the appdata? Do I have to delete the blocks also?
Run the uninstaller. If you never ran an installer, you don't need to do anything and you can just remove the old .exe.

Do not remove the data! (blocks and/or wallet) Do make sure that you back up your wallet before upgrading. Although the uninstaller doesn't touch the data, it doesn't hurt to be careful.

Newar
Legendary

Activity: 1358

https://gliph.me/hUF

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 05:02:39 PM

Yep that explains it perfectly. Thanks to all that responded and a Big Thanks to the devs.

Edit: And yes I am using the Gnome file manager.....

It explains it, but how do you execute it? Stumped.

OTC rating | GPG keyid 1DC91318EE785FDE | Gliph: lightning bicycle tree music | Mycelium, a swift & secure Bitcoin client for Android | LocalBitcoins
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: