Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 01:11:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How Many Bitcoin Forks Are There? You will be surprised!!!  (Read 2521 times)
hv_
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1055

Clean Code and Scale

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2020, 07:21:03 AM

hash algorithms are very important and they make a lot of difference. the problem is that majority of altcoins are focusing on changing a thing or two without innovating anything. if they just swap SHA2 with SHA3 (keccak) or double SHA256 in PoW with scrypt or total supply, block size, block reward, block interval,... to something else there is no innovation there which is why they fail to gain any kind of meaningful adoption outside of exchanges.

then you were misled by the litecoin pumpers.
there is a network called "Test Net" that is exactly the same as main network and the coins there have 0 value which is where developers and anybody else who wants to test things out goes to.

Different PoW algorithm isn't that unique, especially when both LTC and BTC can be mined with ASIC. I was talking about something that isn't exist on Bitcoin such as smart contract (such as ETH), privacy by default (such as XMR) and ProgPoW (which supposed make ASIC impossible or not efficient)

You also can use BTC Testnet to perform experiment without risking losing your money even the coin is lost/stolen.

@pooya87, you mentioned that there's no innovation if someone just fiddles with the mining algorithm or reward schedule. I wonder if you consider ETH as innovation. There're also newer stacks, EOS, Tron, Polkadot. These stacks are complete rebuild. Are they also not innovating?

yea go for -  ETH the innovation for scams

Carpe diem  -  understand the White Paper and mine honest.
Fix real world issues: Check out b-vote.com
The simple way is the genius way - Satoshi's Rules: humana veris _

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Abiky
Legendary

Activity: 3192
Merit: 1359

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
April 14, 2020, 06:52:58 PM

hash algorithms are very important and they make a lot of difference. the problem is that majority of altcoins are focusing on changing a thing or two without innovating anything. if they just swap SHA2 with SHA3 (keccak) or double SHA256 in PoW with scrypt or total supply, block size, block reward, block interval,... to something else there is no innovation there which is why they fail to gain any kind of meaningful adoption outside of exchanges.

That's certainly true, mate. There are so many altcoins out there with a few tweaks here and there, but almost identical to the original Bitcoin blockchain. This tells us that there's lack of innovation within the project itself. Most developers do this for making a quick buck than anything else. As long as this behavior continues, we'll continue to see failed projects with no real use cases for the mainstream world.

The "success" of the Bitcoin Cash hard fork, has been the main reason why there are so many Bitcoin-based forks out there. After all, people who hold coins on the original chain will receive the same amount on the forked chain. It's like getting free money for doing absolutely nothing. At the end of the day, what matters is development, innovation, and mainstream adoption. If Bitcoin-based forks are missing this, they'll die in the long run. No one will want to invest on a chain that's nearly identical to the original one. Forks like BCH and BSV are almost identical to Bitcoin except a few minor tweaks like an increased block size and an improved difficulty adjustment algorithm. However, their hashing algorithms are exactly the same. Not to mention, they carry the Bitcoin brand/name for marketing purposes.

There can be as many Bitcoin forks as far as the eye can see. But only one will remain as the dominant chain of the entire crypto/Blockchain space. And that is Bitcoin (BTC). No other cryptocurrency matches the original Bitcoin in terms of decentralization, security, and mainstream adoption. Other forks may try hard to take Bitcoin's place on the market by introducing new, but risky features into their Blockchain networks. But they'll never succeed as they're simply copies of the original chain. Let's what happens over time as the space becomes more regulated. Just my opinion Smiley

█████████████████████████
███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
2020VISION

Activity: 118
Merit: 2

The end approaches..What are you doing to prepare?

View Profile
April 16, 2020, 03:30:06 PM

===> B

===> T

===> I

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin + 40%

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>_>

https://freiexchange.com/market/BTI/BTC

Thank you for supporting freedom. A portion of the proceeds will go to those in need of funds during these troubled times. Help us make it count!!
perfect999

Activity: 1596
Merit: 299

View Profile
April 16, 2020, 06:34:34 PM

I have never heard of all these cryptocurrencies you have mentioned here, and it seems like they are all worthless, I can't even find any of them online (though I didn't search for all, but the ones I searched for never appeared).

Even If I did find any, I don't think I will ever be interested in investing in any of the coins that are listed. Just look at their names, anyone who is serious wouldn't be using dumb names like these, they all have dumb names, like what the hell is Bitcoin Boy and Pizza? Lol, these people are not serious. I guess this is part of the reasons why they failed, because they had no single vision, so they never knew what they were doing.
Abiky
Legendary

View Profile
April 16, 2020, 07:51:38 PM

I have never heard of all these cryptocurrencies you have mentioned here, and it seems like they are all worthless, I can't even find any of them online (though I didn't search for all, but the ones I searched for never appeared).

Even If I did find any, I don't think I will ever be interested in investing in any of the coins that are listed. Just look at their names, anyone who is serious wouldn't be using dumb names like these, they all have dumb names, like what the hell is Bitcoin Boy and Pizza? Lol, these people are not serious. I guess this is part of the reasons why they failed, because they had no single vision, so they never knew what they were doing.

Many of the Bitcoin forks that have come and gone, served as quick money grabs by developers. With silly names like Bitcoin God, Super Bitcoin, and Bitcoin Pizza, no one will take them seriously. Anyone can copy Bitcoin's source code to make a new coin, but what matters is constant development, innovation, and most of all, real use cases for the mainstream world. Most people are tired of hype and false promises provided by developers working on cloned Bitcoin projects. A cryptocurrency which is nearly identical to the original one, will not gather the attention of everyday people.

I'm surprised to see Bitcoin-based forks like Bitcoin Cash and Bitcoin SV still alive after a couple of years since inception. Maybe it's because they're being maintained by developers? If I were to compare both BCH and BSV, I'd say that BCH is the winner since it's constantly being developed with a great number of people supporting it. Some say that BSV is only backed and supported by Craig Wright and Calvin Ayre, bringing concerns over the project's level of centralization. But who cares? As long as the original Bitcoin (BTC) is still alive and running, there should be nothing to worry about. Alternative versions of Bitcoin will most likely fail in the long run due to their inability to provide use cases for the mainstream world. Not to mention, their focus is on convenience/ease of use rather than the security/reliability of the underlying Blockchain network.

In the end, the market will decide which coins will survive and which will die in the long run. I believe that the more Bitcoin forks there are, the better it'll be for the Blockchain ecosystem. Like it or not, this greatly contributes towards the development of Blockchain technology. Issues/flaws that are discovered on one chain, can be prevented on other chains. It's like a "ripple effect" if you ask me. No matter how many forks there are, there will always be one true Bitcoin whose path will be decided by people using/supporting it. Just my thoughts Grin

████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
2020VISION

Activity: 118
Merit: 2

The end approaches..What are you doing to prepare?

View Profile
April 16, 2020, 08:20:22 PM

BTI is the ORIGINAL fork .. we are based in Los Angeles / San Francisco

:-D

#EXPECTUS

===>

https://freiexchange.com/market/BTI/BTC

Thank you for supporting freedom. A portion of the proceeds will go to those in need of funds during these troubled times. Help us make it count!!
Mpamaegbu
Legendary

Activity: 2688
Merit: 1208

Once a man, twice a child!

View Profile
April 16, 2020, 08:28:27 PM

The first hard fork took place at block #478559 on 1 August 2017, which transformed into a Bitcoin Cash (BCH), that offers larger blocks (up to 8 megabytes at the start).
To be candid, the August 2017 Bitcoin fork was the one that held the highest uncertainty and apprehension in the crypto community. I was a noob then but I felt the tension in the market. It was as thick as a Russian snow. The market literarily paused and as soon as the fork successfully birthed BCH, everything went on a high drive and Bitcoin went on to record its ATH. Thank you OP for drawing our attention to this. Sincerely, I didn't know we had so many forks as listed.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
hv_
Legendary

Clean Code and Scale

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2020, 11:49:41 AM

The first hard fork took place at block #478559 on 1 August 2017, which transformed into a Bitcoin Cash (BCH), that offers larger blocks (up to 8 megabytes at the start).
To be candid, the August 2017 Bitcoin fork was the one that held the highest uncertainty and apprehension in the crypto community. I was a noob then but I felt the tension in the market. It was as thick as a Russian snow. The market literarily paused and as soon as the fork successfully birthed BCH, everything went on a high drive and Bitcoin went on to record its ATH. Thank you OP for drawing our attention to this. Sincerely, I didn't know we had so many forks as listed.

There is only: True original BitCoin (10+ years onchain tested)

and some protocol experiments / variations - incl segwit (just since that Aug 2017)

Tipstar

Activity: 1764
Merit: 280

Smart World Global Token

View Profile
April 17, 2020, 11:54:45 AM

Forking an open source project is generally a good thing as different team works differently on a fork of parent and contribute towards a wide variety of improvements which can be helpful to each other to improve the parent as well as other forks. But with bitcoin, most of the forks are for taking the credit, making themselves popular or even to pre mine before providing the resources to miner in order to gain profit.

.SWG.io.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄

▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄

▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█

``█████████████████▄▄
``````▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄
````````````````````▀██▄
```▀▀▀▀``▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄███
``````▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄``▄███
``▄▄▄▄▄▄▄```▄▄▄▄▄``▄███
``````````````````▄██▀
```````````████████████▄
````````````````````▀▀███
`````````▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄████
```▄▄▄``▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄`````███
`▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄``▄▄▄▄▄▄`````███
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀████
```````````````````▄▄████
``▀▀▀▀▀``▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████
██``███████████████▀▀

FIRST LISTING
CONFIRMED

hv_
Legendary

Clean Code and Scale

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2020, 12:38:33 PM

Forking an open source project is generally a good thing as different team works differently on a fork of parent and contribute towards a wide variety of improvements which can be helpful to each other to improve the parent as well as other forks. But with bitcoin, most of the forks are for taking the credit, making themselves popular or even to pre mine before providing the resources to miner in order to gain profit.

Partly,

you just cannot fork (and keep its brand...) a financial system / product where termsheets / legal conditions where defined BEFORE / at time it was  released  - that makes Bitcoin very unique

James1970

Activity: 68
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 17, 2020, 02:24:19 PM

How Many Bitcoin Forks? It does not matter. Majority of them are total shit
hv_
Legendary

Clean Code and Scale

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2020, 02:41:44 PM

true, 99.99% of all crypto are shit

wwzsocki (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2744
Merit: 1708

First 100% Liquid Stablecoin Backed by Gold

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2020, 03:06:55 PM
Last edit: April 17, 2020, 04:34:30 PM by wwzsocki

This is true and we all know about this, but the purpose of this thread was to show exactly: How many Bitcoin forks are there?, because many people don't have a clue that there are so many.

As you can see in the opening post, I haven't written there anything more about any of these forks on purpose and try to keep this thread clean and free of advertising any of them.

I am in crypto almost from the beginning and didn't know that there are so many forks of BTC, so I thought it would be great info to share and looking how this thread develops, I was right.

This is obvious that you haven't read the thread because there are such comments as yours and I answered them already a couple of times.

Abiky
Legendary

View Profile
April 20, 2020, 10:34:14 PM

It's no secret that some forks will die, while some will remain alive for a very long time. Every fork can contribute towards the development of Blockchain technology one way or another. Different crypto projects test different algorithms and solutions for scalability, privacy, and more. But only those that are capable of providing real use cases for the mainstream world, will survive in the long run. The efforts from developers working on Bitcoin forks will be extremely beneficial for the main Bitcoin blockchain. Features that work on other chains, can be easily implemented on the BTC blockchain if the need arises. It's like Bitcoin forks are experimental grounds for the development of Blockchain technology. By doing this, the ecosystem becomes stronger than ever.

No matter how many Bitcoin forks there are, only one chain will be the true winner. So far, Bitcoin is the leading cryptocurrency in the industry with a large number of developers, businesses, and individuals supporting it. I'd expect it to be that way for a very long time, because of its first-mover advantage on the market. Bitcoin forks will never be able to take Bitcoin's brand recognition within the mainstream world. They may copy Bitcoin's design and name, but they'll never be as "trusted" as Bitcoin is. Mainstream adoption matters above anything else. BCH, BSV and other Bitcoin forks are way behind Bitcoin in this regard. Ultimately, the market will decide which coin will remain as the "real Bitcoin" for the foreseeable future. Just my opinion Smiley

████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
tbct_mt2

Activity: 2324
Merit: 835

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2020, 03:18:27 AM

Descending Family Tree of Bitcoin
Árbol genealógico descendente del Bitcoin. (Spanish version).
Could you take a look at the descending family tree, please.
wwzsocki (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2744
Merit: 1708

First 100% Liquid Stablecoin Backed by Gold

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2020, 12:58:31 PM

Thanks for sharing, because it is good to have all these threads connected if somebody wants to do an in deep research for example.

This is just insane how many of these forks are there actually and that they are already totally forgotten, even services which are tracking BTC forks haven't mentioned many of them.

I see many additional BTC forks mentioned in this thread quoted above and despite I have done a lot of research before writing this article, I see them for the first time.

So many of them disappeared already and that is why it is great and important to have such resources, as here on the Bitcointalk to be able to track everything if needed.

tbct_mt2

Activity: 2324
Merit: 835

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2020, 02:11:30 PM

I see many additional BTC forks mentioned in this thread quoted above and despite I have done a lot of research before writing this article, I see them for the first time.
They are clones and they can have any names with the prefix Bitcoin to scam naive investors. For knowledgeable investors, there is no need to remember their names because they can quickly investigate and know those clones are scam coins.
So many of them disappeared already and that is why it is great and important to have such resources, as here on the Bitcointalk to be able to track everything if needed.
I don't say those clone coins dissapeared, they are more likely zombie coins after the FOMO phase went away.
Abiky
Legendary

View Profile
June 10, 2020, 08:12:21 PM

Thanks for sharing, because it is good to have all these threads connected if somebody wants to do an in deep research for example.

This is just insane how many of these forks are there actually and that they are already totally forgotten, even services which are tracking BTC forks haven't mentioned many of them.

There are so many Bitcoin forks that are not needed in the crypto/Blockchain space. Most of them are quick money grabs by their developers. After realizing people got free Bitcoin Cash by holding Bitcoin prior to the fork, most developers have started to create their own versions of Bitcoin with the intention of getting free money. But at the of the day, what matters is mainstream adoption above anything else. I guess that the only Bitcoin forks that will turn out to be widely successful in the future will be Bitcoin Cash and Bitcoin SV. The rest will simply go down the drain. With lack of interest into Bitcoin-based forks from people in the mainstream world, their underlying blockchain networks could be at risk of a 51% attack. For instance, Bitcoin Gold has suffered 51% attacks many times. That's largely because network hashrate is very low compared to bigger chains like Bitcoin and Ethereum. It's this reason why so many Bitcoin-based forks have failed in such a short amount of time.

Nonetheless, it's normal to see many forks out of Bitcoin due to its decentralized and open source design. The more forks there are, the more developers will be able to improve the Blockchain. We can learn from previous forks' mistakes in order to make Bitcoin a better cryptocurrency for the world. Bitcoin will ultimately prevail while its forks will fade into oblivion. Some altcoins like Ethereum, Litecoin, Monero, and a few of them which are not direct forks of Bitcoin will survive on the market. As long as you choose the right crypto projects, you'll be able to maintain your investment for the foreseeable future. Just my thoughts Cheesy

████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
hv_
Legendary

Clean Code and Scale

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2020, 06:11:59 AM

... and how many are - as a financial system - legally compliant ? If many at all ? Code - compliant are not many for sure

DoubleEdgeEX

Activity: 112
Merit: 17

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2020, 06:19:34 AM

Thanks for sharing. It´s actually pretty insane that there are so many using a system that is proven of not being the best out there.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: