Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 07:51:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why has Bitcoin been so stable in the last few weeks?  (Read 1945 times)
DrBitcoin (OP)

Activity: 350
Merit: 294

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 05:22:49 PM

Lately, Bitcoin has stabilized at about $610-615. I have buy orders at $599 and none of them triggered. Any idea what is causing this stabilization? Forget whether it is a good thing or not, what is causing it? Is it due to a change in volume? Less interest in Bitcoin in general? Any thoughts?
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Crindon

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 05:26:54 PM

Probably because of the news of Gox and the waves of people hoping for a low price of Bitcoin buying in, thereby cancelling each other out.

Still, it feels like the calm before the storm or bull rush.
TTM

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 05:33:44 PM

if you look at all-time history of bitcoin, this is not first time the price appear to be stable.

But you are Dr. Bitcoin ! You have a lot of knowledge about Bitcoin ! You should give us advices instead of seeking answers from us  Huh

amspir

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 05:39:56 PM
Last edit: March 19, 2014, 07:03:43 PM by amspir

Lately, Bitcoin has stabilized at about $610-615. I have buy orders at $599 and none of them triggered. Any idea what is causing this stabilization? Forget whether it is a good thing or not, what is causing it? Is it due to a change in volume? Less interest in Bitcoin in general? Any thoughts?

I'm under the impression that there are large scale investors that can knock the market around quite a bit when they are changing positions.   Until there is more inertia, it's going to be like that for a while.   I think the last estimate I saw was that 80% is held for investment, while 20% is in use as a transaction medium.

HorseCoin

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 05:43:08 PM

it's current value is infinity.  so treat it careful.   Tongue
virtuexru

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

litecoin!

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 05:46:10 PM

I'm under the impression that there are large scale investors that can mark the market around quite a bit when they are changing positions.   Until there is more inertia, it's going to be like that for a while.   I think the last estimate I saw was that 80% is held for investment, while 20% is in use as a transaction medium.

Probably the best answer in this thread thus far..
TKeenan

Activity: 874
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 07:01:28 PM

Isn't there something we can do about this?  We've got to find a way to destabilize the thing.  How are all the speculators going to make money if it just sits there?  This is a real disaster for bitcoin.  They should tweak with the protocol a little bit to cause better price swings.  Let's face it, nearly everyone here could give a rat's about building a great system, they just want 'zoom to da moon'.  Bitcoin is for speculators and quick money.  Stability is the enemy.
DrBitcoin (OP)

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 07:16:45 PM

Isn't there something we can do about this?  We've got to find a way to destabilize the thing.  How are all the speculators going to make money if it just sits there?  This is a real disaster for bitcoin.  They should tweak with the protocol a little bit to cause better price swings.  Let's face it, nearly everyone here could give a rat's about building a great system, they just want 'zoom to da moon'.  Bitcoin is for speculators and quick money.  Stability is the enemy.

I know you're being sarcastic, but if you read my original post, which is debatable, I am simply questioning why it has stabilized, not whether it is good or bad.
bananas

Activity: 364
Merit: 257

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 07:21:53 PM

Ii seems nobody wants to buy. No new money is coming and people already in it are getting away from exchanges not by selling but by withdrawal(see the low volume these days).
ljudotina
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1029

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 07:52:50 PM

All bad press caused by Gox and some others stopped new ppl from getting into BTC, so naturaly, price stabilized and is dropping only on ocasions when someone from one reason or other is getting out. As soon as news get little brighter, you can expect new ppl pouring in and price start jumping up and down.

Dalmar

Activity: 1092
Merit: 500

Life is short, practice empathy in your life

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 08:22:04 PM

The smart speculators realized that bitcoin was in a giant descending triangle and sold out long ago. They are waiting for the dumb money to realize this and panic at the bottom.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄
▄▄██████████████████████▄
 █████████████▀█████████████▄
▄█████████████▀ ▄█▀ ███████████
▄██████████      ▀▀  ████████████
▄█████████████   ▄▄▄   ▀▀██████████
█████████████▀   ████▄   ▀█████████▄
█████████████    ▀▀█▀▀   ▄██████████
████████████▀   ▄▄      ████████████
████████████   ▄████▄    ███████████
█████████      ██████    ██████████
█████████▄▄            ▄██████████
▀██████████  ██  ▄▄▄▄████████████
▀█████████▄▄█▄ ███████████████▀
▀██████████████████████████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀██████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

B i t c o i n t a l k   ▄▄▄▄▄

DONATION CAMPAIGN

▄
                                   ▄██
               ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄           ▄███
             ▄█████████▄        ████
▄▄▄         ▄████████████     ▄████▀
 ▀██▄▄      █████████████   ▄█████▀
  ▀█████▄   █████████████  ▄██████
    ▀█████▄  ███████████▀▄███████
     ▀██████▄▄▀▀██████▀ ████████▀
       ████████▄      ▄████████▀
        █████████▄  ▄██████████
         █████████████████████
          ████████████████████
          ███████████████████
          ███████████████████
          ██████████████▀▀▀
          ███████▀▀▀▀
          ▀▀▀▀

BE A HOPE
FOR A LIVABLE WORLD
▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄
▄▄███████████████████▄▄
▄▄█████████████████████████▄▄
▄███████████████████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀██████████
███████████▀       ▀█▀       ▀█████████
███████████▀                    █████████
███████████                     █████████
█████████████                   ███████████
██████████████▄               ▄████████████
████████████████▄▄▄         ▄█▀▀   ████████
███████████▀▀     ▀▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄██     ▄████████
██████▀█▄                ▀▀▀█▄ ▄█████████
██████▄ █▄          ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄███████████
██████▄ ▀█                ▄████████████
██████▄  ██████▄▄▄    ▄██████████████
▀██████▄██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████████████▀
▀▀█████████████████████████▀▀
▀▀███████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀

ONE

little

HELP CHANGES
EVERYTHING

..DONATE..
eiskalt

Activity: 336

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 08:26:09 PM

To me bitcoin is not looking stable, but weak.

So question should be: why is bitcoin so weak lately?

DrBitcoin (OP)

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 09:00:29 PM

I don't get this mentality. Why are you on this forum if you think this way? Is it that you are jealous that you are not one of the initial few who bought in early and made a fortune? Or is it that you are broke and can't afford to buy in now?

1BTC = $600. How is that weak? Something that basically didn't exist 4 years ago is now worth $600.
bitjoint

Activity: 333

Commander of the Hodl Legions

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 09:01:05 PM

The lullz before the storm...
eiskalt

Activity: 336

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 09:14:53 PM

I don't get this mentality. Why are you on this forum if you think this way?

The childboard is named "Speculation". Prices go up or down.

Is it that you are jealous that you are not one of the initial few who bought in early and made a fortune? Or is it that you are broke and can't afford to buy in now?

Projecting much?

1BTC = $600. How is that weak? Something that basically didn't exist 4 years ago is now worth $600.

Something lost around 50% of its value and has now no volume.
arepo

Activity: 448

this statement is false

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 09:28:10 PM

I don't get this mentality. Why are you on this forum if you think this way? Is it that you are jealous that you are not one of the initial few who bought in early and made a fortune? Or is it that you are broke and can't afford to buy in now?

this was a terribly aggressive response to one person's opinion about the market value...

are you afraid of bears? Grin

edit:
Is it that you are jealous that you are not one of the initial few who bought in early and made a fortune? Or is it that you are broke and can't afford to buy in now?

Projecting much?

+1

this sentence has fifteen words, seventy-four letters, four commas, one hyphen, and a period.
18N9md2G1oA89kdBuiyJFrtJShuL5iDWDz
DrBitcoin (OP)

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 10:34:20 PM

this was a terribly aggressive response to one person's opinion about the market value...

are you afraid of bears? Grin

edit:

Projecting much?

+1

Fortunately one of these two does not apply to me.
Wilhelm
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1265

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 11:04:17 PM

Maybe he is referring to weak as in low volume...

Bitcoin is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get !!
Ekaros

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 11:33:00 PM

600 seems overrated to me...

Maybe it's just current stability with holders, fresh coins and coins not in circulation... Could move downwards in future...

12pA5nZB5AoXZaaEeoxh5bNqUGXwUUp3Uv
http://firstbits.com/1qdiz
Feel free to help poor student!
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 11:56:28 PM

BTC is still a little baby.
Right now the baby is sleeping.