Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 08:46:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining in layman terms *how you can join it with mathematics*  (Read 144 times)
fiulpro (OP)

Activity: 1862
Merit: 830

View Profile
May 20, 2020, 08:22:34 PM
Last edit: May 21, 2020, 04:35:01 AM by fiulpro

let us examine the concept of mining in more detail. We are not talking about the labourers going with their tools in the forest for a potential precious stone or metal , we are talking about the mining which with the help of mathematics have generated the most talked about cryptocurrency – Bitcoins.
The people who are involved in mining , they might not be amazing mathematicians , nor do they need a degree , they do need an amazing machine which is able to solve that complex problem whose chances of being solved is 1in 13 Trillion .
Mining have dual benefits , first it gives the miner a reward which is worth all the trouble , secondly generating the hexadecimal number makes sure the hash rate remains high for the network security , miners have to ensure ,or more accurately the software has to ensure that the bitcoins is not duplicated and all the transactions proceeds safely.
Mining is a more elaborated version of computational mathematics , the miners have to guess the 64 digit hash correctly before anyone else gets lucky , which would need a very good software plus LUCK.
One would have to use permutation and combination to solve the problem on paper and trust me it is really hard .
Only a 4 digit number you have 10,000 possible combinations and for the 64 digits I don’t think I should even start writing it .
For example if you are solving a problem which would need a random 4 digit number and you can repeat then , you have 10 choices for all the digits , 10*10*10*10 , really hard to express but yeah , its really a hard job to do .

P.S. I wrote this article because apparently my dad told me I should start solving the mining problem and earn some Bitcoins , he was considering making me solve it with a pen and paper because apparently our news channels don't do a good job explaining anything .  Grin

▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄█████████████████▄▄
▄██
█████████▀██▀████████
████████▀
░░░░▀░░██████████
███████████▌░░▄▄▄░░░▀████████
███████
█████░░░███▌░░░█████████
███
████████░░░░░░░░░░▄█████████
█████████▀░░░▄████░░░░█████████
███
████▄▄░░░░▀▀▀░░░░▄████████
█████
███▌▄█░░▄▄▄▄█████████
▀████
██████▄██
██████████▀
▀▀█████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀███████▀▀
.BitcoinCleanUp.com.

.     Debunking Bitcoin's Energy Use     .
███████████████████████████████
███████▀█████████▀▀▀▀█▀████████
███████▌░▀▀████▀░░░░░░░▄███████
███████▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▐████████
████████▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████████
████████▄░░░░░░░░░░░▄██████████
███████▀▀▀░░░░░░░▄▄████████████
█████████▄▄▄▄▄▄████████████████
...#EndTheFUD...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
hatshepsut93
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 2145

View Profile
May 20, 2020, 10:08:19 PM

Why are you writing your "article" if you clearly don't have a good understanding of what is mining and how it works?

The people who are involved in mining , they might not be amazing mathematicians , nor do they need a degree , they do need an amazing computer software machine which is able to solve that complex problem whose chances of being solved is 1in 13 Trillion .

The chance to find the solution is not some fixed value, the difficulty changes every 2016 blocks (approx. 2 weeks) depending on how fast those 2016 blocks were solved.

Mining is a more elaborated version of computational mathematics , the miners have to guess the 64 digit hash correctly before anyone else gets lucky , which would need a very good software plus LUCK.

It's not exactly mathematics, it's just calculating the result of cryptographic hash function. And they don't guess the full hash (which is by the way isn't "64 digits", but simply 256 bits, which are often represented as 64 hexadecimal characters, but this is simply an encoding), they only need to find a hash with certain amount of zeros at the start, this amount is actually the difficulty of mining.

And you don't need some secret software for it, software is available for free, what you need is specialized hardware. Also, luck - this thing doesn't exist. Miners don't rely on luck, they join their forces together and share the reward between themselves proportionally to their contribution.

One would have to use permutation and combination to solve the problem on paper and trust me it is really hard .
Only a 4 digit number you have 10,000 possible combinations and for the 64 digits I don’t think I should even start writing it .
For example if you are solving a problem which would need a random 4 digit number and you can repeat then , you have 10 choices for all the digits , 10*10*10*10 , really hard to express but yeah , its really a hard job to do .

Miners don't use "permutation and combination", they just feed the block data and nonce to the SHA-256 function, and they chance nonce until they get a hash value with the needed amount of leading zeros.

.BEST.CHANGE..███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
fiulpro (OP)

Activity: 1862
Merit: 830

View Profile
May 21, 2020, 04:20:52 AM
Last edit: May 21, 2020, 04:41:34 AM by fiulpro

Why are you writing your "article" if you clearly don't have a good understanding of what is mining and how it works?

The people who are involved in mining , they might not be amazing mathematicians , nor do they need a degree , they do need an amazing computer software machine which is able to solve that complex problem whose chances of being solved is 1in 13 Trillion .

The chance to find the solution is not some fixed value, the difficulty changes every 2016 blocks (approx. 2 weeks) depending on how fast those 2016 blocks were solved.

It's not exactly mathematics, it's just calculating the result of cryptographic hash function. And they don't guess the full hash (which is by the way isn't "64 digits", but simply 256 bits, which are often represented as 64 hexadecimal characters, but this is simply an encoding), they only need to find a hash with certain amount of zeros at the start, this amount is actually the difficulty of mining.

And you don't need some secret software for it, software is available for free, what you need is specialized hardware. Also, luck - this thing doesn't exist. Miners don't rely on luck, they join their forces together and share the reward between themselves proportionally to their contribution.

Miners don't use "permutation and combination", they just feed the block data and nonce to the SHA-256 function, and they chance nonce until they get a hash value with the needed amount of leading zeros.

1. You do agree that it is represented as a hexadecimal number so do not argue about that , I am quite Familiar with the facts you stated but my main idea was to give a mathematical side to the problem . Which could have been done only by hexadecimal digit consideration , which is VALID.
2. They need leading zeroes because the repetitions are allowed , practically needing any value in between 0-9 is actually valid .
3.Plus the difficulty changes to maintain the neutrality of the situation ' if there are many people struggling to get the number it will become more and more difficult with time therefore they have to adjust it every 2 weeks.
4. Plus read before answering * I specifically wrote , one would need permutation and combination if they try and solve it on paper*

If you would have read the paragraph you would have realized that whole idea was to break it down in terms of permutation and combinations which is the main ancestors of the function they use today .
I do think I stated amazing *computer software machine* I was wrong in the sense I did not know you would try and run the heavy hardware with a lame software. I do believe that they need to have all things considered and equipped .

Plus if you are using any free software from the web I do think you realize that most of them come with a lot of viruses therefore I do believe that they also need a good software with a good machinery and computer.

Hope that answers your accusations.
Have a nice day Cheesy

▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄█████████████████▄▄
▄██
█████████▀██▀████████
████████▀
░░░░▀░░██████████
███████████▌░░▄▄▄░░░▀████████
███████
█████░░░███▌░░░█████████
███
████████░░░░░░░░░░▄█████████
█████████▀░░░▄████░░░░█████████
███
████▄▄░░░░▀▀▀░░░░▄████████
█████
███▌▄█░░▄▄▄▄█████████
▀████
██████▄██
██████████▀
▀▀█████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀███████▀▀
.BitcoinCleanUp.com.

.     Debunking Bitcoin's Energy Use     .
███████▀█████████▀▀▀▀█▀████████
███████▌░▀▀████▀░░░░░░░▄███████
███████▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▐████████
████████▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████████
████████▄░░░░░░░░░░░▄██████████
███████▀▀▀░░░░░░░▄▄████████████
█████████▄▄▄▄▄▄████████████████