Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 09:11:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Gangs of BitcoinTalk :)  (Read 7460 times)
nullius
Copper Member

Activity: 630
Merit: 2610

If you don’t do PGP, you don’t do crypto!

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2020, 07:29:30 PM
Merited by Foxpup (6), TwitchySeal (5)

Sounds like a pussy alt gang.

I'm no expert on the topic but I believe some of the gangs are forked from others.

Although alia turned out to be only the “pussy alt” of a scammer, her attempt to screw over the Supreme Leader of the sexiest ungang, inter alia, resulted in her getting hardforked without consensus.*

I’m an expert on the topic.

xD

Please spank me tbh, craving that rn

(* Actually, temp-banned for doxing, threatening, and extorting somebody other than me—and then, permabanned for ban evasion.  But who’s counting?)

Eh, when will fools learn to stop trying to mess with me?

* nullius shrugs.

Uh-oh, the NSA found me.
Loading image...

Quote from: Nietzsche
Zweierlei will der ächte Mann: Gefahr und Spiel.  Desshalb will er das Weib, als das gefährlichste Spielzeug.

Is there a requirement for initiation to join a gang? I found this on the web, I listed some of it below.
  • Initiation by cop
  • Being jumped in or beat in
  • Sexed in
  • Jacked In
My gang has become somewhat infamous for its use of the third method. It's not strictly a requirement, but it certainly helps, and in any case I've yet to hear any complaints. Grin

For what position (so to speak) do you suppose that I was preparing alia?

You want in?  You wish.
Loading image...

Most importantly, as a cult leader, I have the prerogative of taking advantage of... attractive female followers in other ways

Such “other ways” need not be only for my personal gratification.  I will observe that though in the same breath I essentially reserved the right to make my followers give me all they have and more, what I have actually done is a most excellent job of being one of these:

not getting paid shit for their shit.

An alia would be useful for a cult that has entry requirements, as a prophylactic to prevent penetration of the Nullian ungang by NSA honeypots.  I run tight opsec.  And I have standards:  Initiation requires seminal work.

This gang even demands wetwork:  Oaths of fire and water sealed in the font of a counterintelligence agent disguised as an innocent camgirl.  Would you join me?  Your passion will be put to the test.  Bring me a sword.

where there is Gang there also must be a Bang. Gang-Bang.

I remember Jet Cash had a similar thought, so there is hope:

I don't seem to be in any gangs. I was going to say that if there is a gang bang, please can I join in, but I'm not sure that we have any girls here any more.

Abandon hope, all ye who enter her.  For this observation by one of my chief competitors is true enough:

No, you cannot get out of it.  Cults are enter only.

Loading image...
The actual fence is much higher,
and it works both ways.

And though my thus effort with alia was mislaid in the sense of the best-laid plans of mice and men, I turn lemons into lemonade:  I accidentally became the subject of the forum’s most famous sex scandal!  Two years later, people are still discussing it, and personally inquiring for the details.  —Mostly just from curiosity, or to tease me.  Mostly.

So as for cats and lone wolves.  I expect for my next post on this thread to be more popular. :-)

Of course, that meant that my planned next post was about alia.  Unfortunately, it is not yet complete; thus, this hereby is only a teaser of a teaser.  The prospective title:  Nullius in alia, Nullius aliorum aliorsum:  Cum errore inter alia, contra artem amatoriam, pane crisandi, circensibus irrumationis.  That title is not expected to be popular—but the (English) content will be, because it’s about a sex scandal!

Sex scandals are always popular, in the sense of “panem et circenses”; and my dubious distinction as the subject of the forum’s most famous sex scandal has, after all, become a part of my reputational panache.  Far be it from me to be unpopular!

Those who are uninterested in sex scandals may attempt puzzling out the title, laugh at me if I erred in my such subtle exploitation of Latin grammar, and/or appreciate the history, philosophy, and social commentary which, to meet the standards of a “nullius post”, I must perforce cryptically hash into the story of a sex scandal.

Oh, and I do not actually know Latin.  The foregoing onion-layered ball of puns was produced using magic.  Cult leader, etc.

A Salutary Lesson from the
Gang of Philological Pedants

Membership: 1

Nor you knew Latin (I suppose).

Though you were not addressing me, I should point out that, although I just said that I do not know Latin (according to my own standards, or any reasonable standards of scholarship), I may damn myself with faint praise by observing that I know more Latin than some do.

That is worse than dog Latin:  It is bitch Latin.  It exemplifies the folly of mashing together words found in an English-Latin dictionary, without having even the slightest clue about Latin grammar.

testimoniumnominative, accusative, or vocative singular of second declension neuter noun testimonium.
libertatumgenitive plural of third declension feminine noun libertas.  No other options than “of liberties” or “liberties’”.
iustitianominative, ablative, or vocative singular of first declension feminine noun iustitia.  Well, I suppose that I could perhaps imagine a way that maybe the ablative could be applied in its instrumental sense to make the whole phrase just a tiny bit less asinine.  (For the beavises and buttheads in the audience, I must clarify that “asinine” evokes an ass in the sense of a donkey, not in the American sense of an arse.)

LOL.  Of course, he also does not know the meaning of either of the respective words “objective” and “standards”.

And of course, I did a brief search to see if he was drawing some stock phrase or motto from speakers of barbarous Latin, or perhaps the worst vulgar Latin of the Dark Ages.  If he was, I could not find it—and anyway, it would only mean he was such as fool as the blind following the blind.

Not that I would expect any better from the same fool whose very name mutilates the Latin digraph representing X/χ (chi) from τέχνη.  Spelling “tech” as “tec” is as stupid as would be, mutatis mutandis, abbreviating “philosophiae doctor” as “P.D.” instead of “Ph.D.”, thus breaking the digraph for Greek Φ/φ (phi).  Cf. [confer, ‘compare’] Ψ/ψ (psi), as seen in English pseudonym (< ψευδώνυμoς).

* nullius condemns and contemns the award of so-called “Ph.D.” degrees to anybody who cannot spell philosophiae doctor without looking it up in a dictionary—or who cannot readily explain the origins and meaning of the term.

Techies who are sufficiently old-school may be perhaps familiar with Prof. Knuth’s TeX (Tεχ), and with arχiv.org (formerly known as xxx.lanl.gov, LOL).  Those are enough of a botch:  Latin X is far away from Greek X.  However, at least the progenitors thereof were sufficiently knowledgeable to squeeze away the CH digraph in a way that makes sense!

As for TE**SHARE’s bitch-Latin, it would indeed look more intelligent to say, exempli gratia, “Techsharius trollus stupidius est”:  That is obviously a joke, and not the empty posturing of a pretentious retard who is obsessed with Arguing On The Internet.

TECSHARE “winning”

But if he really wants to dress to impress, I suggest styling it as such:

TESTIMONIVM·LIBERTATVM·IVSTITIA

* nullius illum miseret

+5 to the first adequately to explain the pun that I just made.  This offer is time-limited to 24 hours from the posting hereof.

“Oile nu pot fi învățate să gândească, precum câinii nu pot fi dresați să cânte fragmente de operă.” — nullius

Das will spielen.

"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
fillippone
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 15185

Fully fledged Merit Cycler - Golden Feather 22-23

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2020, 09:06:09 PM
Last edit: February 24, 2020, 09:43:24 PM by fillippone
Merited by nullius (1)

* nullius illum miseret

+5 to the first adequately to explain the pun that I just made.  This offer is time-limited to 24 hours from the posting hereof.

Ph.D is a term used in the Anglophone world as shorthand for Philosopiae doctor, or doctor in philosophy.
The term Philosophy comes from the Latin word “philosophĭa”, which is derived from the Greek word ϕιλoσoϕία, whose roots are φιλεῖν (phileîn- to love) and «σoϕία» (sophia-knowledge).
So the first and most ethanol ogi al correct meaning of philosopher is “knowledge lover”. Definitely someone who shouldn’t need to lookup in a dictionary how to spell his title.
Nullius illum miseret, si scribere 'Philosophiæ’ non scit

..JAMBLER.io..Create Your Bitcoin Mixing
Business Now for   F R E E 
▄█████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████▀████████████████████
███▀█████▄█▀███▀▀▀██████
██▀█████▄█▄██████████████
██▄▄████▀▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄██████
█████▄▄▄██████████▀▄████
█████▀▄█▄██████▀█▄█████
███████▀▄█▀█▄██▀█▄███████
█████████▄█▀▄█▀▄█████████
▀█████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████
      OUR      
PARTNERS

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
████████▀▀█████▀▀████████
█████▀█████████████▀█████
████████████████████████
███████████████▄█████████
███████████████▀█████████
████████████████████████
█████▄█████████████▄█████
████████▄▄█████▄▄████████
   INVEST   
BITCOIN

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
xtraelv
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1924

฿ear ride on the rainbow slide

View Profile
February 25, 2020, 03:48:00 AM
Merited by nullius (1)

“Oile nu pot fi învățate să gândească, precum câinii nu pot fi dresați să cânte fragmente de operă.” — nullius

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3Tcd1jdW74

We are surrounded by legends on this forum. Phenomenal successes and catastrophic failures. Then there are the scams. This forum is a digital museum.  
* The most iconic historic bitcointalk threads.* Satoshi * Cypherpunks*MtGox*Bitcointalk hacks*pHiShInG* Silk Road*Pirateat40*Knightmb*Miner shams*Forum scandals*BBCode*
Troll spotting*Thank you to madnessteat for my custom avatar hat.
El duderino_
Legendary

Activity: 2464
Merit: 11778

BTC + Crossfit, living life.

View Profile
February 25, 2020, 09:46:01 AM
Merited by xtraelv (1)

If you do not HAT, then you do not GANG!!!    Kiss

XhomerX10 designed my nice avatar HATs!!!!!  Thanks Bro
cabalism13
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1165

🤩Finally Married🤩

View Profile
February 25, 2020, 10:43:12 AM
Merited by Lauda (1)

The Queen of Cats guides us. The Queen of Cats teaches us. The Queen of Cats protects us. In your light we thrive. In your mercy we are sheltered. In your wisdom we are humbled. We live only to serve. Our lives are yours.

In our Cats, we serve.

Meowlism13
GazetaBitcoin (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 6312

Fully-fledged Merit Cycler|Spambuster'23|Pie Baker

View Profile
February 26, 2020, 10:06:09 AM
Merited by Lauda (1)

Latest update: I added two emblems for Cult of Lauda, as requested.

The Queen of Cats guides us. The Queen of Cats teaches us. The Queen of Cats protects us. In your light we thrive. In your mercy we are sheltered. In your wisdom we are humbled. We live only to serve. Our lives are yours.

I bow down in front of the Supreme Leader!

███▀█████▄█▀███▀▀▀██████
█████▄▄▄██████████▀▄████
█████▀▄█▄██████▀█▄█████
      OUR      
PARTNERS

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
████████████████████████
████████████████████████
   INVEST   
BITCOIN

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
nullius
Copper Member

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2020, 03:00:11 PM
Merited by fillippone (1)

Ante litteras:  Populo et popularitate panis et picturae sunt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3Tcd1jdW74

I literally lolled!  By that, I mean:  I lazily, oafishly laid about without bothering to wheel out youtube-dl so that I could—say what!?  How do you find these things?  Thank you, xtraelv. :-)

As for the pic, LOL.

Anyway, if I were American, I’d take Tweedledum.  No, wait—Tweedledee.  No—  I can’t decide!

I think the correct choice is neither.

Loading image of Tweedledum and Tweedledee...

This is why I say:  Don’t vote.  By voting, you grant your moral and practical political endorsements to a corrupt system:  An ochlocracy manipulated by a plutocracy.  The result is kakocracy:  Rule of the worst.

If you vote, then you are part of the problem.

Man and Technics

I believe nullius has a more optimistic view of the future than I do.  Smiley

“Optimism is cowardice.” — Spengler (writing most of a hundred years ago)

GazetaBitcoin’s well-researched OP led me to many interesting posts that I had not seen, e.g.:

~snip~
I should point out that I'm one of the six people in the known universe who hasn't actually watched Game of Thrones
~snip~
Make it Seven :-P
I have no idea what the hack is this Game of Thrones all about? :-)

I don’t have a television... or a smartphone.

Keeping up with the theme:

Quote from: Nietzsche
Zarathustra answered:  “I love mankind.”

“Why,” said the saint, ”did I go into the forest and the desert?  Was it not because I loved men far too well?

Now I love God: men, I do not love.  Man is a thing too imperfect for me.  Love to man would be fatal to me.”

Zarathustra answered:  “What spake I of love!  I am bringing gifts unto men.”

Bellae litterae τῆς φιλoλoγίας

* nullius illum miseret

+5 to the first adequately to explain the pun that I just made.  This offer is time-limited to 24 hours from the posting hereof.

Ph.D is a term used in the Anglophone world as shorthand for Philosopiae doctor, or doctor in philosophy.
The term Philosophy comes from the Latin word “philosophĭa”, which is derived from the Greek word ϕιλoσoϕία, whose roots are φιλεῖν (phileîn- to love) and «σoϕία» (sophia-knowledge).
So the first and most ethanol ogi al correct meaning of philosopher is “knowledge lover”. Definitely someone who shouldn’t need to lookup in a dictionary how to spell his title.

+1 for thinking it through from abstract first principles, and for the correct etymology τῆς φῐλoσoφῐᾱς—to which I will add that in Latin, doctor means ‘teacher’:  Thus, one entitled philosophiae doctor is not only a lover of wisdom, but a teacher of the love of wisdom,  It is (or ought be) a degree only for those rare minds and rarefied souls who truly advance the state of the arts.

Whereas my point here was more as to the historical implications:

* nullius condemns and contemns the award of so-called “Ph.D.” degrees to anybody who cannot spell philosophiae doctor without looking it up in a dictionary—or who cannot readily explain the origins and meaning of the term.

From the Renaissance until the early Twentieth Century, a university education meant a liberal education (in the now-archaic sense of that word!), id est scholarship humanitatis (iterum dico!), that had as a basic undergraduate requirement of facility in the Graeco-Roman classics, and especially a consummate mastery of Latin.

Never mind a Ph.D.:  No sheepskin at all for you, unless you know Latin far better than I do!

Observe that the scientific, medical, and other scholarly jargons are loaded with Latin and Greek words.  Who nowadays pauses to ask why, as did I when I was yet young?  The men who originated these words were not pretentious dolts kludging up fancy-looking stuff from the dictionary just to show off:  They actually knew Latin and Greek; and they naturally identified new concepts in the languages of the educated classes.  Indeed, if you wish to study the history of early modern science from primary sources, then you must prepare to encounter whole scientific treatises written from cover to cover in a fluent neoclassical Latin.

Anyway, none of this was relevant to the pun for which I offered +5:

Nullius illum miseret, si scribere 'Philosophiæ’ non scit

I would add that to my forum signature, if but only it had the spare space!

Of course, the pun is that I made it look to the naïve reader as if I had said, “Nullius pities him”—whereas in a post wherein I had alluded to stock phrases, I used a handy stock phrase meaning, “He pities nobody.”

* nullius illum miseret

nullius illum miseret

Nullius: nullius illum miseret!

I have had a miserable time struggling to grasp the proper use of the word miseret.  A classicist could help; but alas, I am only a classist, not a classicist.

nullius is genitive, and illum is accusative—and miseret is an irregular verb with no conjugations outside the third person (plus infinitives, etc.).  Also n.b. that in classical Latin, nullius is an adjective, not a substantive.  I will presently clarify my use thereof.

Untangling that is left as an exercise to the reader.

* nullius wavius handius ;-)

Official Cases of “Nullius”

In classical Latin, as aforesaid, “nullius” is used as an adjective, not a noun.  However, it can be properly construed and inflected as a noun.  By analogy to the inspiration of my nomen, Octavius (later known as Imperator Caesar Divi f. Augustus), here are the official cases of my name in the second declension:

NominativeNullius
GenitiveNullii
DativeNullo
AccusativeNullium
AblativeNullio
VocativeNulli

Macrons are omitted, for I am lolling about lazily—and my Xorg keyboard layout (—for all its “fancy” Unicode®—) seems to have been designed by somebody with no use for the macron.

Hmmm.  Laura has been addressing me as “Nully”, which seems quite close to the grammatically correct Latin vocative.  Does the cat speak enciphered Latin?

Whilst travelling on business in Carpathia,
I doxed Lauda:

Lauda: ACTUAL PHOTOGRAPH

Nullian Senior Laurel Wreath with Four Coins

And thus, with my first bump in Activity Period 1308, I hereby shall be wreathed with the rank of Senior Member as soon as the activity system updates.

Cheers.

Zu lange wohl lebte ich im Gebirge, zu viel horchte ich auf Bäche und Bäume: nun rede ich ihnen gleich den Ziegenhirten.

Unbewegt ist meine Seele und hell wie das Gebirge am Vormittag.  Aber sie meinen, ich sei kalt und ein Spötter in furchtbaren Spässen.

Und nun blicken sie mich an und lachen: und indem sie lachen, hassen sie mich noch.  Es ist Eis in ihrem Lachen.

GazetaBitcoin (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 26, 2020, 03:32:05 PM

And thus, with my first bump in Activity Period 1308, I hereby shall be wreathed with the rank of Senior Member as soon as the activity system updates.

The system updated! I hope I'm the first one congratulating you, nullius! (Or at least among first ones Smiley )
A well deserved rank up!

███▀█████▄█▀███▀▀▀██████
█████▄▄▄██████████▀▄████
█████▀▄█▄██████▀█▄█████
      OUR      
PARTNERS

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
████████████████████████
████████████████████████
   INVEST   
BITCOIN

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
nullius
Copper Member

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2020, 03:47:46 PM

I hope I'm the first one congratulating you, nullius!

You are indeed the first; and I am pleased to have marked on your thread a moment that would have occurred on 2018-07-17 (Activity Period 1265), had I not slept awhile.

As a practical matter, the Supreme Leader of the Nullian Un-Gang can now use <size> in his signature. ;-)

xtraelv
Legendary

View Profile
February 27, 2020, 08:17:55 AM

~snip~
I should point out that I'm one of the six people in the known universe who hasn't actually watched Game of Thrones
~snip~
Make it Seven :-P
I have no idea what the hack is this Game of Thrones all about? :-)

I don’t have a television... or a smartphone.

No TV is needed to watch Game of Thrones - only a computer. Since you haven't seen game of thrones I will just baffle you with an obscure Game of Thrones reference that you won't understand.

We are surrounded by legends on this forum. Phenomenal successes and catastrophic failures. Then there are the scams. This forum is a digital museum.  
* The most iconic historic bitcointalk threads.* Satoshi * Cypherpunks*MtGox*Bitcointalk hacks*pHiShInG* Silk Road*Pirateat40*Knightmb*Miner shams*Forum scandals*BBCode*
Last of the V8s
Legendary

Merit: 4392

Be a bank

View Profile
February 27, 2020, 10:10:24 AM

nullius is genitive

* nullius wavius handius ;-)

NominativeNullius
GenitiveNullii
DativeNullo
AccusativeNullium
AblativeNullio
VocativeNulli

Probably I snipped the bit where you explain how nullius is genitive one minute but nominative the next, but possibly this cunningly concealed error is actually designed to make us humans think nullius is also human lol.

Did Latin have diacritics? That pictured thing is just for stress and a bit of a nonsense, no?

That phrase, nullius illum miseret, (and nullius ille miseretur) is very hard, and I wonder where it comes from, it just seems to have ossified as a phrase in Gouldman and then Robertson. Someone please correct us here. If Classics Twitter wasn't rife with liberals I'd get the question posed there but it is so I won't and will live on in ignorance.

nullius
Copper Member

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2020, 04:29:45 PM

A Salutary Lesson from the
Gang of Philological Pedants

Membership: 1

V8s, fillippone, mayhap I counted too soon?

I propose a new gang, which I will call the Latin Kings in honour of Aeneas.

V8s:  You did snip the part whereby I sensibly distinguished the adjectival versus substantive uses of “nullius”, which would be declined differently; and a professor somewhere would probably yell at me for ignoring the modern form of the apex.  That is the “TL;DW” of what will anyway be “TL;DR” for but the few.  “...das will spielen”, so let’s keep this fun! :-)

If Classics Twitter wasn't rife with liberals I'd get the question posed there but it is so I won't and will live on in ignorance.

With due apologies, my good gentleman, I had two reactions to this:

• Please excuse me whilst I vomit at seeing the words “Classics” and “Twitter” mashed together into a phrase. pls dont say that, 🤮 its bad so sad, 😭 i h8 twittr killin litarecy, u get me? 😕 😿 😡 #IlliterateTwits CAN I HAZ WORDS PLS?? kthxbye

But it has a blue checkmark!
    I TEACH U CLASSICS IN 140 CHARS #TWEET #TWEET

* nullius has heard many fine academic jokes that end with the words, “standards are falling”.  Hah, hah—only serious!

• What, you would trust the just-so stories of libtwits as to the classics, of all things?

Nullian Rule:  Modern so-called “liberals” are past masters of cultural misappropriation.

I would expect for twitlibs to know about as much about the classics as Margaret Mead actually knew about Samoans, or cared to.

Let’s see:  How fast would the people of great Graeco-Roman antiquity meet a fearsome brigade of shrill tweets from the libtwits of “Classics Twitter (!)”?

Rome was a strictly class-based society more or less ruled by the patricians, with family units run as miniature dictatorships under the authoritarian rule of the paterfamilias.  Patron:  Mars ♂, the god of war—whom the Romans also nominated as the god of agriculture, what with farmers being notoriously liberal throughout the ages.  (Damn kulaks.)

Because the Romans were men in their more or less natural state, and not reactionary manosphere twits with feminist-mommy issues, they were honoured to also claim descent from Aeneas—the mortal son of Venus ♀, the goddess of sex and fertility, who was born because a woman (or even a goddess) can’t have a casual fling without getting pregnant and having a baby.

* My dick is bigger than a twitlib’s—where “dick” has a subtextual meaning of “supreme mastery of hermeneutics”, and its size is an allegory for my powers of mythological interpretation.

Aeneas, a Trojan, had to flee his native land—because the Greeks were so liberal that they totally annihilated Troy, and exterminated or enslaved the Trojan people, all for revenge against the dishonour of a Trojan prince fucking some Greek dude’s wife.  Upon his arrival in Latium, Aeneas, blessed for victory by his goddess-of-sex mother, won himself a wife the old-fashioned way:  Killing his rival.  He then became the Latin king.

Protip:  When a nice guy wants a princess, he buys her diamonds
#ToxicMasculinity ♂ #MakeLoveNotWar ♂ #CodeOfConduct

(Image: Aeneas kills Turnus)

Nietzsche was a doctor of philology—indeed, before he took up demolishing philosophers philosophasters, Herr Professor Dr. Nietzsche was the youngest-ever chair of the department of Classical Philology at Universität Basel.  Unlike me, he was a real classicist.  I hear the echoes of Vergil’s Aeneid when I read, “Man shall be trained for war, and woman for the recreation of the warrior: all else is folly.”

(To avoid unduly discomfiting tender-minded liberals, I will avoid mentioning the later Rape of the Sabines—or the etymology of the word “rape”.)

The Romans were, of course, strictly honourable men; and I am reluctant to discuss too much such things in the presence of hoi polloi, given that I have seen aforesaid reactionary twits twist Roman culture just as badly as the libtwits do—but for the purpose of portraying the Romans as a bunch of wifebeating whackjobs, for to support their own embrace of the feminist false caricature of manhood.

Nevertheless, the point stands:  I would not trust the instruction of twitlibs on the subject of classical antiquity—or, for that matter, on any other subject.

I invite libtwits to explain away the foregoing in 140 characters or less. ;-)

Compare my recent remarks obiter dictum in another thread:

in the spirit of Ancient Rome, what has been democratically decided

A small historical aside:  Rome was never a democracy.  In the era of the Republic (including the time of the Punic Wars between Rome and Carthage), it was a society divided into rigid social classes, with most of the power held by patricians as a sort of a large, hereditary quasi-aristocracy.  In the time of the Empire, obviously, Rome was a dictatorship—literally, a dictatorship, starting with the Senate’s grant to Julius Caesar of a lifetime title* of dictator perpetuo.  That was whilst he was alive; after he was dead, they passed a law declaring him to be a god, and the name “Caesar” became a title forever synonymous with “Emperor; lifetime dictator” not only in Latin, but also in German (Kaiser), Russian (Czar), and other languages.

(* In Roman law, the position of dictator had previously a short-term position of emergency power for leadership in times of existential threat to Rome; cf. Cincinnatus, who was glorified for voluntarily renouncing his absolute power of dictatorship as soon as the crisis was resolved—15 days into his six-month legal term as dictator.)

Athens had a bout with democracy.  The right to vote was reserved to free adult male citizens, thus excluding women, metics (legal resident aliens), and a massive slave population—only about 10% of the population had the vote.  The system was still so unstable and prone to corruption that it lasted for less than a century in truly democratic form.

Worst moment of Athenian democracy:  The vote to kill Socrates.  Best moment of Athenian democracy:  The rise of a strongman populist leader, Pericles, whose very name grew to symbolize the glory of Athens at its height.

* nullius doubts that this “democracy” thing ever really worked as advertised, or ever will.

xtraelv
Legendary

View Profile
February 28, 2020, 11:44:33 PM
Last edit: February 29, 2020, 04:13:47 AM by xtraelv

* nullius doubts that this “democracy” thing ever really worked as advertised, or ever will.

Name one true democracy. There have been compromised attempts but it has always been a compromise.

Norway, Iceland, Sweden and New Zealand are the closest but still are not "full democracies".

Only Swedish police routinely carry firearms.

Norwegian, Icelandic and New Zealand police generally only have firearms in their vehicles.

Interesting also that both Norway and New Zealand had supremacist attacks which have affected freedoms.

I invite libtwits to explain away the foregoing in 140 characters or less. ;-)

A contweet would be easier. Grin

GazetaBitcoin (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 29, 2020, 06:12:11 AM

Latest edit (February 29th, 2020): I updated the description of The Flat Earth Believers, after the recent tragedy from February 26th, 2020:

5. Flat Earth Believers - an inoffensive gang of people with a bizarre belief. They worst way they can harm you is by negative trust; if you don't care about that, you may try to have a beef with them. Edit: as of February 26, 2020, notbatman - the Supreme Leader of this gang - closed the gates of his Church, without any explanation, leaving the believers lost under the (flat?) Sun. The terrible news were brought by suchmoon: "Unfortunately Bitcointalk's most famous flatearther locked his thread after merely ~800 pages without conclusively proving whether the Earth is flat or not". After almost 5 years of hard, scientific debates, everything appears to be lost. Not entirelly though, thanks to suchmoon, which although declined his competences on this delicate matter, he generously offered a shelter for these poor people who lost their leader, but hopefully, not their faith. Thus, with his help, maybe the remains of what was once a prosperous gang, will raise again!

Maybe this post will also help some of these believers to find their path to the new shelter, in case they missed suchmoon's announcement.

███▀█████▄█▀███▀▀▀██████
█████▄▄▄██████████▀▄████
█████▀▄█▄██████▀█▄█████
      OUR      
PARTNERS

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
████████████████████████
████████████████████████
   INVEST   
BITCOIN

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3262
Merit: 16322

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
February 29, 2020, 08:03:17 AM

Name one true democracy.
Switzerland Cheesy

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
fillippone
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 15185

Fully fledged Merit Cycler - Golden Feather 22-23

View Profile WWW
February 29, 2020, 01:57:42 PM

Name one true democracy.
Switzerland Cheesy
Too easy to smothlessly run a State when you made up your fortune hosting (and eventually robbing) finances from everyone in the world, no question asked, helping recycle huge amounts of money before it was cool.

Aside from that, living in Switzerland can be tough at times.

TRUE STORY.
A nice Italian family moves  to a very tidy and polite city suburb in the German speaking Switzerland.
They decided to grow an house warming party. Sunday afternoon they called everyone and organised a barbecue with the neighbourhood.
Very nice party, everyone very kind and polite, meeting new friends across the road and feeling part of the community.

It’s 5:00 PM, the party is fading out, the last guests are still at the party.
Bell rings.
Police shows up: “Turn down the music, you are harassing your neighbours who complained about the loud noises coming from your property”.
Those nice blokes called the police just after leaving the party.
That was a true “Welcome to Switzerland!” moment.

███▀█████▄█▀███▀▀▀██████
█████▄▄▄██████████▀▄████
█████▀▄█▄██████▀█▄█████
      OUR      
PARTNERS

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
████████████████████████
████████████████████████
   INVEST   
BITCOIN

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
tmfp
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 1737

"Common rogue from Russia with a bare ass."

View Profile
February 29, 2020, 02:15:52 PM
Last edit: March 02, 2020, 12:30:07 PM by tmfp

doubts that this “democracy” thing ever really worked as advertised,

What does? Bleach, maybe.

Name one true democracy.

Define "true democracy".

In the vague spirit of the thread (and the gangs?), I offer Ovid and his Exitus Acta Probat. 

Extraordinary Claims require Extraordinary Evidence
actmyname
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 2504

Spear the bees

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2020, 04:53:45 AM

Name one true democracy. There have been compromised attempts but it has always been a compromise.
My room is a democracy in which the inhabitants vote on the next action to take. Sometimes guests even come in and vote on nocturnal activities, but those are confidential tales. Smiley
Gosh, I hope that participation in multiple gangs will keep my values consistent. I'd hate to be in superposition of valuing a Kialara piece over the cat's commands and being ordered with absolute authority to melt down my 3d-printed kill FFrankie coins!

Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 3010

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2020, 04:55:57 AM
Merited by nullius (1)

Define "true democracy".

Two lions and a lamb deciding what's for dinner.

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!

OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
Timelord2o67

Activity: 372
Merit: 39

Ditty! £ $ ₹ € ¥ ¢ ≠ ÷ ™

View Profile
March 06, 2020, 05:38:26 AM

Define "true democracy".

Two lions and a lamb deciding what's for dinner.

When I'm driving, it's not a democracy...

.★☆★ UNPAID ADVERTISEMENTS: ★☆★ ❖ Get Paid in BitCoin .
.CoinPlaza Exchange (IT)  ★☆★ .
.❖ Win Free Bitcoins every hour! - www.freebitco.in   .
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: