Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 12:32:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BCH sent to BTC in Kraken  (Read 148 times)
bna1219 (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 22, 2020, 05:04:50 AM

Is there any chance of getting my BCH sent from Blockchain to a BTC address in Kraken.  It is a segwit address.  BTC.com is willing to help but needs the xpub key.  Is there a tool to retrieve the xpub key?

Thanks in advance

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Debonaire217

Activity: 644
Merit: 364

In Code We Trust

View Profile
February 22, 2020, 05:11:35 AM

As far as I know, even though the bitcoin cash is a fork from bitcoin itself, it is impossible to send bitcoin cash to bitcoin or vice versa. This is due to the fact that both of these have different protocols that transactions need to follow.

As a result, the bitcoin sent to bitcoin cash wallet will be lost if we try to execute this kind of transaction. It is the same procedures that we need to follow in terms of altcoins.
Baofeng
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1655

View Profile
February 22, 2020, 05:27:40 AM
Merited by o_e_l_e_o (1)

Is there any chance of getting my BCH sent from Blockchain to a BTC address in Kraken.  It is a segwit address.  BTC.com is willing to help but needs the xpub key.  Is there a tool to retrieve the xpub key?

Thanks in advance

You may want to open a ticket to Kraken here,

https://support.kraken.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

And see how it goes. I just hope that we are just talking about small amounts here, because Kraken has a history of not being cooperative.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CryptoCurrency/comments/7zfvbc/i_sent_21_bch_to_a_btc_address_on_kraken_they/

[1]BCH sent to BCT address- money now lost! Help!
[2]KRAKEN STOLE MY BITCOINS
[3]BTC send accidentally to BCH Address

███████████████████████
████████████████████
██████████████████
████████████████████
███▀▀▀█████████████████
███▄▄▄█████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████
████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████▀▀██▀██▀▀█████████
█████████████▄█████████████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████▄█▄█████████
████████▀▀███████████
██████████████████
▀███████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
█████████████████████████
O F F I C I A L   P A R T N E R S
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
ASTON VILLA FC
BURNLEY FC
BK8?.
..PLAY NOW..
o_e_l_e_o
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 18507

View Profile
February 22, 2020, 06:24:18 PM

As far as I know, even though the bitcoin cash is a fork from bitcoin itself, it is impossible to send bitcoin cash to bitcoin or vice versa.
Bitcoin and BCH (and BSV for that matter) share the same address format. See here for a randomly generated example of the same address appearing on all three chains: https://blockchair.com/search?q=1Ekt3ooP7gyXzd2aUXdkGrDs4taC342z79. You can quite easily send bitcoin to a BCH address or vice versa. The coins will be at the same address on the correct blockchain, so if you have access to the associated seed or private key, then you can recover them. For example, if I sent BCH to a bitcoin address in my own wallet by mistake, I could export the relevant private key and import it in to a BCH wallet to access the coins. But in situations like this when you have sent it to a service, since the service are the only ones who have access to the associate keys, they are the only ones who can recover the coins.

As Baofeng says, the only thing OP can do is contact Kraken and ask them to recover it. I'm not sure why BTC.com are asking for an xpub key, since if the coins have been sent to Kraken then only Kraken can recover them, and a public key wouldn't let you recover them anyway - you need a private key.
hugeblack
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 3611

Buy/Sell crypto at BestChange

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2020, 08:18:05 AM

Is there any chance of getting my BCH sent from Blockchain to a BTC address in Kraken.  It is a segwit address.  BTC.com is willing to help but needs the xpub key.  Is there a tool to retrieve the xpub key?
They may want the public key ( xpub key ) to know if your account is worthy of them contacting Kraken or not.
since that address is for Kraken, they are the only ones who can get your money back, but this process is slow and need a trusted person to do it, just as the error is by you, so you will need a lot of luck to convince the support team to return the money to you.

If the team is cooperating, they will refunded you from their own money and will withdraw those coins in the future.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██