Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 09:14:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Possible restrictions on newbie accounts.  (Read 449 times)
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3262
Merit: 4110

View Profile
March 11, 2020, 10:57:48 AM

I think almost everyone is against a complete restriction like newbie jail again, however I do think the newbie jail had some benefits to it, but simply put the cons outweighed the pros. In reality all the newbie jail did was put off the users which are completely effortlessly trying to earn money, but usually spammers are willing to put in the work initially if they can get whitelisted within 4 hours or whatever it was back when newbie jail was around. So, essentially all we did was delay the fact these low quality users could roam the forum, and post wherever they like.   

I have an alternative idea, signature is automatically disabled on thread if the OP is newbie. That way, we don't need to restrict newbie account in any way.
If it's genuine question, OP is more likely to get helpful answer since spammer aren't interested on thread where it's signature is disabled.

This, and allowing users to determine whether they want to include signatures on their thread upon opening are probably the best options I've seen proposed so far. Although, this only counteracts the signature spammers, and doesn't prevent users from farming their accounts. Unfortunately, due to the nature of the issue we will always have some sort of issue with low quality users, and those low quality users are going to be more frequent the more popular Bitcoin, and other cryptocurrencies get. We could put all the restrictions in place, and they will find a way around it.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
nhingjhun

Activity: 93
Merit: 1

https://t.me/shipchainunofficial

View Profile
March 11, 2020, 12:37:12 PM

Why not just lock the main sections for posting from the newbies to avoid spam and only "beginners and help" and "off topic" section are allowed for them. In that case the spam in every sections would be lesser or gone and they would be taken care of by their tutors. And they could only unlock the sections if they gain a Merit or their activity increases to 100. What do you think ?
Also some newbies were only created to introduce a project from the altcoins section. I think its better if the mods put a payment for unlocking the altcoins section, and in that way the forum can control of ICO scams and it's their way to show their legitimacy.
Ryzenus

Activity: 34
Merit: 2

View Profile
March 11, 2020, 01:22:52 PM
Merited by Lucius (1)

Why not just lock the main sections for posting from the newbies to avoid spam and only "beginners and help" and "off topic" section are allowed for them. In that case the spam in every sections would be lesser or gone and they would be taken care of by their tutors. And they could only unlock the sections if they gain a Merit or their activity increases to 100. What do you think ?
Also some newbies were only created to introduce a project from the altcoins section. I think its better if the mods put a payment for unlocking the altcoins section, and in that way the forum can control of ICO scams and it's their way to show their legitimacy.
I will agree on this one and I think this is the most suitable way to filter legit newbies that who wants to learn in the crypto world. But limiting to "beginners and help" and "off topic" only could restrain from gaining additional knowledge, maybe consider some sections that is good that cannot be abused. I was kinda disgusted in some newbies that they are here just to earn cryptos and not to gain knowledge more likely staying in "surface knowledge". Locked sections could be the best way for legit learning newbies that could give them ethusiasm and curiosity after they gain such knowledge.

Even this could be considered as a "noob jail" as mentioned earlier it could be a thing to help the forum grow more. I am willing to help fellow newbies who are willing to learn and when the right time comes I'll help them earn. I am also willing to volunteer as an "overseer newbie" or a "pseudo-mod" that reports or warns a newbie that never changes their ulterior motives like spamming or repeating itself.
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3262
Merit: 4110

View Profile
March 12, 2020, 03:36:07 PM

My idea is only to prevent signature spammer. We only can hope member and merit source be careful when sending merit to thread whose created by newbie so those farmed account rank remain newbie and not too beneficial for the farmer.

This has been discussed many times before, but also tackling it from a campaign manager point of view also. Possibly, being a little more strict, and banning campaigns if they prove the be problematic. I believe theymos is overwhelmingly against removing signature campaigns all together, but I wouldn't be surprised if it continues the way it is he will eventually lose his patience. This is just speculation on my end, but I imagine a few things will be reintroduced to try, and prevent removing it altogether, especially the way that altcoin related signature campaigns are operating right now.
madnessteat
Legendary

Activity: 2240
Merit: 1996

View Profile
March 12, 2020, 05:17:26 PM

The number of newcomers to the forum is getting smaller every day. Introducing new restrictions in the fight against users abusing the rules of the forum and normal human behavior in order to earn money, we will infringe the rights of real beginners.

In my opinion, it is very unreasonable to think that if we restrict the newcomers to two sections, we will be able to achieve some success in the fight against abuse. Each of us knows that there are still abuses of the merit system that cannot be proven and therefore cannot be influenced.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
▄▄█▄▄░░▄▄█▄▄░░▄▄█▄▄
███░░░░███░░░░███
░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░
▀██████████
░░░░░███░░░░
░░░░░███▄█░░░
░░██▌░░███░▀░░██▌
█░██░░███░░░██
█▀▀▀█▌░███░░█▀▀▀█▌
▄█▄░░░██▄███▄█▄░░▄██▄
▄███▄
░░░░▀██▄▀
REGIONAL
SPONSOR
███▀██▀███▀█▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀██
██░▀░██░█░███░▀██░███▄█
█▄███▄██▄████▄████▄▄▄██
██▀ ▀███▀▀░▀██▀▀▀██████
███▄███░▄▀██████▀█▀█▀▀█
████▀▀██▄▀█████▄█▀███▄█
███▄▄▄████████▄█▄▀█████
███▀▀▀████████████▄▀███
███▄░▄█▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▄███
███████▄██▄▌████▀▀█████
▀██▄█████▄█▄▄▄██▄████▀
▀▀██████████▄▄███▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
EUROPEAN
BETTING
PARTNER
20kevin20
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1597

View Profile
March 12, 2020, 05:46:02 PM

I understand the main purpose of this thread - I've seen way too many Newbie accounts creating threads and never coming back. It looks to me like they're creating new threads using alts whenever their main (or alternative) accounts are out of threads to reply to. But I don't think there is much to be done about it.

First of all, Newbie jails shouldn't be a thing - I disagree with that 100%. Newbies being jailed inside a single board strictly for Newbies will lead to a board full of crap where everyone will shitpost and burstpost until they're free on the forum.

If a member wants to shitpost and only boost their account's rank in order to become sig campaign-eligible, they will provide high quality posts until they'll be eligible for campaigns after which their accounts will turn into shitposters. We can take the strictest measures out there - if that's my intention, I'm going to be willing to find any way to get through the ranks until I'll reach my goal.

The number of newcomers to the forum is getting smaller every day. Introducing new restrictions in the fight against users abusing the rules of the forum and normal human behavior in order to earn money, we will infringe the rights of real beginners.
~
Very wrong way of seeing this forum. Yes, there could be from time to time a subconscious "oh, I must do this to get $" thought but let's face reality. This forum isn't a job and whenever someone tries to go only for the money, it turns pretty bad for the respective member. It's quite easy to differentiate a member who works hard on the forum from a member who is here just to shitpost for the BTC they can earn.
madnessteat
Legendary

Activity: 2240
Merit: 1996

View Profile
March 12, 2020, 06:41:13 PM

~
Very wrong way of seeing this forum. Yes, there could be from time to time a subconscious "oh, I must do this to get $" thought but let's face reality. This forum isn't a job and whenever someone tries to go only for the money, it turns pretty bad for the respective member. It's quite easy to differentiate a member who works hard on the forum from a member who is here just to shitpost for the BTC they can earn.

If we want to face the truth, we can read the forum without registering at all. If you refuse signature campaigns, the whole shitposting will simply disappear as it is signature campaigns that are a sort of shitposting aggregator.

If you conducted several investigations of forum abuse, you would realize that it is unrealistic to prove the abuse of the merit system if users do not participate in signature and bounty campaigns. And most abuses can only be proven because of their stupidity.

███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███