Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 09:12:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Occupy Wall Street and BTC Prices  (Read 3042 times)
bittenbob (OP)

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 20, 2011, 09:10:01 PM

It seems to me that many of the people who are from the OWS movement would be supporters of the BTC movement. Given that so many of them are camping out in various occupy protests around the world I can't help but think that this is affecting current BTC prices through non activity/involvement from them. Just opening the door to a conversation here but I think this may have prices temporarily lower than they should be.

you need a computer, not a tent in central park to be able to use bitcoin...

nah all you need is an android phone Smiley

If those OWS a-holes have android phones, I'll punch them myself.  WTF are they spending money on an android phone if they are worried about paying for s**t they "need." 

I don't own an android phone, and I seem to get along just fine.  Maybe that will help them balance their checkbook...

I dont own a cell phone but an android phone is sure as heck a lot better than an apple phone. Android is based on Linux which is freeware software while apple is extremely propriatary.

Android is much more appropriate than iOS which can also be used.
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2011, 09:12:32 PM

If those OWS a-holes have android phones, I'll punch them myself.  WTF are they spending money on an android phone if they are worried about paying for s**t they "need." 

I don't own an android phone, and I seem to get along just fine.  Maybe that will help them balance their checkbook...

They even have cars and microwaves, and internet!  Fucking poors.   

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
bittenbob (OP)

View Profile
November 20, 2011, 09:17:09 PM

And I suppose you would only be happy if they couldnt even afford toilet paper? Doesnt say what kind of car but people need to get places. There are a lot of working poor out there. Also in the US I believe there are cell phones that are specifically subsidized for poor people.

Incidentally I dont own a car (anymore), cell phone, garbage disposal, satellite tv, washing machine or dryer. I guess I must be poor. I sure as heck feel like it though. So much for bettering your life through post secondary education.
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
November 20, 2011, 09:31:07 PM

If those OWS a-holes have android phones, I'll punch them myself.  WTF are they spending money on an android phone if they are worried about paying for s**t they "need."  

I don't own an android phone, and I seem to get along just fine.  Maybe that will help them balance their checkbook...

They even have cars and microwaves, and internet!  Fucking poors.  

And I suppose you would only be happy if they couldnt even afford toilet paper? Doesnt say what kind of car but people need to get places. There are a lot of working poor out there. Also in the US I believe there are cell phones that are specifically subsidized for poor people.

Incidentally I dont own a car (anymore), cell phone, garbage disposal, satellite tv, washing machine or dryer. I guess I must be poor. I sure as heck feel like it though. So much for bettering your life through post secondary education.

Hear hear. I blew through $200k in California, then $300k in Korea and now I'm a minimalist. I don't even want to touch a car ever again.

kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2011, 04:48:07 AM

Who promised secondary education would better your life?  Hard work and frugal lifestyles lead to success...  Secondary education is only one tool to help open the doors.  You have to get yourself through them.

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
bittenbob (OP)

View Profile
November 21, 2011, 05:07:59 AM

Who promised secondary education would better your life?  Hard work and frugal lifestyles lead to success...  Secondary education is only one tool to help open the doors.  You have to get yourself through them.

I have been very frugal and have worked very hard but I have only been marginalized at every opportunity. Hard work has nothing to do with it and who you know has everything to do with it. Companies are under the impression you must have a masters degree in order to do anything (even menial tasks) in companies anymore. I have made 30ik per month PROFT for my company and they still saw it fit to keep my wages on the margins of society claiming the economy. I used to believe hard work and proving yourself meant something but they simply do not.

As for who told me post secondary education would get me somewhere in life where do I start? Teachers, the government, companies, television, news, etc. It is all a big lie and sadly people are getting into massive debt for school that just wont pay off. This is coming from someone who was an executive in student council at my school and worked for my teachers there as well so i have a good view on the inside of the education system. Schools are a business but are propped up by government advertising and the like.

Corporations have sadly bought into it and want you to have a masters degree in order to even do menial tasks. Maybe 10 years ago a bachelors degree meant something but today it will only get you a job at mcdonalds for 100K debt (and Im not talking about arts studies). I am very fed up with this myself and am trying to start a trade because I see now that I can have a much larger impact on society than any corporation will let me have and my pay will be a lot better than if I left it up to the greedy corporations alone.
Vandroiy
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 22, 2011, 02:48:36 PM

18% internet access? Oh wow, okay, that's really bad.

But 73% has a.. car? I don't have a car! 97% television? Priorities? Huh More people have TWO televisions than have a PC?

Okay, I admit I am astonished by this graph. I knew it was bad, but I didn't know it was that bad.

@bittenbob:

I generally agree, the schools I was in mostly wasted my time. I sometimes do coaching in math and physics, and often shake my head at how badly students are taught at school. However, I want to firmly defend the faculties of physics I've seen so far. Even though I was with them half-heartedly at most times and got a few bad grades in return, it was an awakening compared to what I'd seen before. They require of their students to think on different approaches, to be precise, efficient, and also to judge their own statements. Sure, it's still far from perfection. But the graduates I know perform very well on a vast variety of mental tasks, even outside sciences.

The situation about the jobs and bad wages... well, duh, the labor market has been kicked out of equilibrium and nobody fixes it! The correct solution is to go the OPPOSITE direction first: facilitate for companies to create jobs at massive profit margins, then let the market compete for the workers to bring wages back up.

There you have it, a solution to an enormous global problem, and everybody ignores it. Might be due to the bad education.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 22, 2011, 02:51:02 PM

You think they don't have smartphones?  LOLZ.  These are hipsters not hippies. 
Vandroiy
Legendary

View Profile
November 22, 2011, 03:07:58 PM

Just a side note, I think an Android phone increases productivity. Access to information is important. There are people who don't need it, but many do, and I wouldn't condemn them for putting one on their "needs" list. The pricing is very reasonable these days, so amortization is fast. My favorite smartphone is still the Nexus One, these are available used on Ebay for less than 140€.

When buying massively expensive contracts and phones to get computing power and bandwidth for gaming, I agree priorities are off. But that's not what Android was about originally.
bb113

Activity: 728

View Profile
November 22, 2011, 04:00:19 PM

Look closely and you will realize that "own" is a politician-defined word. For example, could someone really be said to own their home if they are still paying off a mortgage?
farfiman
Legendary

Activity: 1449
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 22, 2011, 04:16:31 PM

18% internet access? Oh wow, okay, that's really bad.

But 73% has a.. car? I don't have a car! 97% television? Priorities? Huh More people have TWO televisions than have a PC?

Okay, I admit I am astonished by this graph. I knew it was bad, but I didn't know it was that bad.

It is very old statistics...  7 years ago most people didnt need internet...

"We are just fools. We insanely believe that we can replace one politician with another and something will really change. The ONLY possible way to achieve change is to change the very system of how government functions. Until we are prepared to do that, suck it up for your future belongs to the madness and corruption of politicians."
Martin Armstrong
Vandroiy
Legendary

View Profile
November 22, 2011, 04:18:35 PM

It is very old statistics...  7 years ago most people didnt need internet...

Oh, silly me. I should have read everything. Roll Eyes Thanks for clarifying.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
November 22, 2011, 04:29:39 PM

That's exactly what we need: An inflow of liberal blowhards with their hands out. Sounds awesome.

Us liberals are already here. Remember we built the Internet, with the help of Al Gore.  Kiss

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Jonathan Ryan Owens
Donator

Activity: 392
Merit: 252

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2011, 10:14:48 PM

That's exactly what we need: An inflow of liberal blowhards with their hands out. Sounds awesome.

Us liberals are already here. Remember we built the Internet, with the help of Al Gore.  Kiss

Oh you're a 1990s liberal. That's entirely different. Thanks for the internets!

tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
November 22, 2011, 11:02:20 PM

Ah yes, that old chestnut.

I actually looked that up when it was current many many years ago.  Gore clearly said that he was instrumental as a legislator in getting funding for the organizations involved in developing the Internet, but he choked on words very slightly.  This was actually quite true, and his legislative activities in this area were out in front of his peers and quite visionary.  People run with that basically non-issue to this day.

In the interest of fairness, Steven's 'bridge to nowhere' is pretty similar.  It is a bridge to Ketchican's airport which is the only fucking way to get into and out of that hell-hole much of the time (I've been there on a number of occasions.)  A big difference is that Stevens probably was tanking up on kickbacks whereas Gore was probably not (in the 'internet' case at least.)

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Brunic

Activity: 632

View Profile
November 22, 2011, 11:06:11 PM

It's not about what they own, it is about what they owe.

-You can get a cell phone for free (I got mine and they GAVE me 100$ with it), but you got this nice little contract after that..
-You can get a new car easily, with banks offering loans, company offering credit for it.
-Same thing with home furnitures. There's a shop around here who offer new furnitures with "nothing to pay in the first 12 months!".
-You can easily buy a 300$ TV with the Future Ship credit card where you pay nothing for the first 6 months.

Problem is, people have no financial knowledge. I've never been educated to that in school, even at university, it was almost barely teached. I've learned all by myself, thanks to the internetsz!

You don't borrow for something who lose value. The only things you can borrow for are:
-A house
-A business
-An education

And sadly, housing and education doesn't seem to even worth it. The 2008 crash was caused by poor housing management while universities produce students financially crippled.

Events like OWS occur when the average citizen is equally fucked as the low-quality citizen. If somebody decide to go to school, study something relevant (like Marketing), get his diploma and find his situation similar or worse than his lazy weed smoking neighbor, if that happens regularly to many good citizens of the state, you get OWS.
deltanine

Activity: 231
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 22, 2011, 11:14:27 PM

Ah yes, that old chestnut.

I actually looked that up when it was current many many years ago.  Gore clearly said that he was instrumental as a legislator in getting funding for the organizations involved in developing the Internet, but he choked on words very slightly.  This was actually quite true, and his legislative activities in this area were out in front of his peers and quite visionary.  People run with that basically non-issue to this day.

In the interest of fairness, Steven's 'bridge to nowhere' is pretty similar.  It is a bridge to Ketchican's airport which is the only fucking way to get into and out of that hell-hole much of the time (I've been there on a number of occasions.)  A big difference is that Stevens probably was tanking up on kickbacks whereas Gore was probably not (in the 'internet' case at least.)

This is quite the coincidence!  I was just reading an article in the NYT about the departed Stevens and the questionable prosecution against him.  That's nice you are being fair with him in regards to the bridge to nowhere but then not so nice to undercut that sentiment by being unfair about "kickbacks".
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/22/us/politics/no-charges-recommended-against-prosecutors-in-ted-stevens-case.html?_r=2&src=twr

But none of these false claims really make any difference as Stevens is dead and no one cares about Gore any more.

Freedom is a state of mind, and then Bitcoin comes along.....
-S4VV4S
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
November 22, 2011, 11:25:12 PM

This is quite the coincidence!  I was just reading an article in the NYT about the departed Stevens and the questionable prosecution against him.  That's nice you are being fair with him in regards to the bridge to nowhere but then not so nice to undercut that sentiment by being unfair about "kickbacks".
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/22/us/politics/no-charges-recommended-against-prosecutors-in-ted-stevens-case.html?_r=2&src=twr

But none of these false claims really make any difference as Stevens is dead and no one cares about Gore any more.

I said 'probably' because I don't know the details on that level but it was his normal mode of operation.  Most Alaskans knew all about it.  The funny thing was that they were somewhat mystified that corruption in this way was even considered wrong.  I've spent a fair amount of time up there over the years and it is one of the reasons why the Libertarian ideology leave a foul aftertaste in my mouth.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
bb113

Activity: 728

View Profile
November 23, 2011, 12:58:00 AM

Half-assed libertarianism is worse than half-assed statism. I'm not yet sure about full-assed though.
Jonathan Ryan Owens
Donator

Activity: 392
Merit: 252

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2011, 01:11:41 AM

Half-assed libertarianism is worse than half-assed statism. I'm not yet sure about full-assed though.

^ Truth. At least half assed statists contend with and accept the role of the box which we've all grown up in. The half baked libertarians are more theoretical and detached from reality, and desperately motivated to convert others with some questionable theories and systems of belief.

Thank you for being you, bitcoinbitcoin113. <3

-Jon

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: