Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 11:12:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: If Satoshi was a "genius", then why do BTC transactions take so long?  (Read 7530 times)
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 09:27:51 PM

Also, even a 1 minute delay would be too long to wait in many situations. Especially as that would be the average and some confirmations would take longer. When I'm paying by credit card at a supermarket, if it takes as much as 10 seconds it annoys me. When I've finished and paid I don't want to hang around, waiting. So faster confirmation times don't really help unless they are a lot faster, like 50 times faster.

(I don't know whether Satoshi made this point, and don't much care.)

i agree. why we stay with a bitcoin if other coins are quicker and even safer. Nextcoin is faster than Litecoin. pos coins , they seem more eficient to me.

Good luck with that.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Brangdon

Activity: 365
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 10:43:11 PM

Also, even a 1 minute delay would be too long to wait in many situations. Especially as that would be the average and some confirmations would take longer. When I'm paying by credit card at a supermarket, if it takes as much as 10 seconds it annoys me. When I've finished and paid I don't want to hang around, waiting. So faster confirmation times don't really help unless they are a lot faster, like 50 times faster.

i agree. why we stay with a bitcoin if other coins are quicker and even safer.
You aren't agreeing with me. I was arguing against faster confirmations, because even if they are 10 times quicker they still won't be quick enough. They'd have to be 50 times quicker; but then the cost of orphaned blocks (as described in the post before mine) would be prohibitive.

The way to get fast enough for the supermarket scenario is to accept transactions with zero confirmations. Then you only have to wait a few seconds. With that in place, the block time becomes almost irrelevant.

Bitcoin: 1BrangfWu2YGJ8W6xNM7u66K4YNj2mie3t Nxt: NXT-XZQ9-GRW7-7STD-ES4DB
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 10:52:23 PM

Conclusion:  the whole "we need a fast altcoin" argument is bunk.

curt.rowland

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 11:00:04 PM

If Bit_Happy was a 490 activity user then why hasn't he seen the endless topics and pages written on this? Especially a LTC user... why the sudden curiosity i wonder...

Cuz forums get cluttered with fucks like you who feel a need to show everyone how much smarter you are than everyone.
FeedbackLoop

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 11:54:02 PM
Last edit: March 22, 2014, 12:10:44 AM by FeedbackLoop

If Bit_Happy was a 490 activity user then why hasn't he seen the endless topics and pages written on this? Especially a LTC user... why the sudden curiosity i wonder...

Cuz forums get cluttered with fucks like you who feel a need to show everyone how much smarter you are than everyone.

Or maybe "cuz" the only usage "advantage" of LTC is that it has faster block times and LTC just went through a massive pump and dump with the introduction in chinese exchanges leaving lots of LTC bagholders all around the forum asking why is "Bitcoin so slow".

And maybe that contributes to forums getting cluttered with the same thing over and over... OP has a LTC and Bitcoin signature and near 500 activity. Even if he doesn't know the main differences between the altcoin he favors and Bitcoin, and even if he was being naive, he would certainly know about cluttering and searching topics.

But maybe "fucks like you" don't get it and "feel a need to show everyone how much" dumber you are than everyone.

The thread ended up being relatively OK with some good information repeated. In a week it will be feathercoin being dumped and yet another seemingly naive OP will show up asking why are LTC and Bitcoin so slow, leading to a shittier thread and clogging up the searches of a genuine newbie.

bananas

Activity: 364
Merit: 257

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 11:54:47 PM

if you take the risk of acccepting 1 confirmation or noen at all it is fast...
mobile4ever

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 12:40:07 AM

It is lot faster than some bank transactions. Three days for a cheque to clear? The world was waiting for something like Bitcoin.
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2014, 02:36:43 AM

Because Satoshi is almost as intelligent as you are unintelligent, OP.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
bananas

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 08:31:15 PM

Retailers get risks in all payment forms.

Bitcoin is slow if risk is 0, and so are other payment forms. Actually bitcoin is better to handle risk and processing time.
The retailer can do something like this in his Point of Sale system :

if value < $30 , conf = 0
if value  > $30  conf = 1
if value > $100 , conf = 3
if value > $400 , conf = 6
merockstar

Activity: 203
Merit: 100

BTS: merockstar420

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 10:18:13 PM

Bitcoin is slow if risk is 0, and so are other payment forms. Actually bitcoin is better to handle risk and processing time.

Or it could be worked around.

Planning to spend alot on groceries? Send a thousands worth of bitcoin before shopping, do your shopping, then by the time you're done your coin is confirmed. Get your change back in btc, or as a shopping voucher
irrational

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 10:54:39 PM

If you're willing to accept purchase with 0 confirmations, then we should hook up... I have a lot of micro-purchases I'd like to conduct with you.
podyx
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 1035

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 11:17:38 PM

i'm curious to how easy it is to double spends. is it something average joes can learn to do or does it take some college kid genius with glasses and shit to do it?

would it be safe to accept with 0 confirms with, lets say a $10k purschase as a company?
irrational

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 11:19:59 PM

If you're willing to accept purchase with 0 confirmations, then we should hook up... I have a lot of micro-purchases I'd like to conduct with you.

Sure, just don't forget to smile for the camera as you check out, we already have your license plate since you parked in our parking lot.

This not-so-serious post is just one example of ways B&M merchants can feel confident selling goods for 0 confirmations. They could even require you to show them your ID unless you wanted to wait for a confirmation.

There are other ways as well. You could make a transfer to the store upon entrance, and you get confirmations while you shop. Upon check out, the merchant adds up your total and subtracts it from your deposit, sending you the change.

There are reasons most merchants stopped taking personal checks, and this is one of them. The merchant would rather eat a 2.9-3.9% CC fee and process a transaction with little risk, than have to fight dead beat check writers in court. Despite the law being on the merchant's side, it usually turned out to be a losing proposition due to having to track them down, file court documents, and appear in court.

I, personally, view Bitcoin as a better ACH, but it's just ripe for someone to build a credit card network on top of it.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 11:22:17 PM

i'm curious to how easy it is to double spends. is it something average joes can learn to do or does it take some college kid genius with glasses and shit to do it?

would it be safe to accept with 0 confirms with, lets say a $10k purschase as a company?

Good question, because everyone knows that a college kid genius without glasses is in fact no genius at all!

bananas

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 11:30:42 PM

It will be a pleasure if you already signed up to our preferential customer program which is free of costs.
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 06:03:13 PM

It's not easy.  In fact, it's never been provabley be done in the wild.  It's entirely theoretical.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 06:13:22 PM

It's not easy.  In fact, it's never been provabley be done in the wild.  It's entirely theoretical.

A better question is:  If you had a really good coder build you a wallet client that was specifically designed to do double spending,
what percentage of the time would it work to create a zero confirmation transaction, without any "outside assistance" (other nodes coordinating in the attack etc)

RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 06:16:35 PM

Listen to lord MoonShadow.  Smiley
If you read the news you would think bitcoin is "hacked" all the time. In fact it is trusting others that leads to theft by hacking. The protocol is very safe, unlike your credit card.

P.S. I would wait for some confirmations if it was $10K.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
cambda

Activity: 759
Merit: 502

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 06:27:09 PM

It depends on attacker hashing speed how likely a double spend can be done. Also it matter only if the company cannot simply cancel the order/purchase after doublespend happens (this is know within one hour)
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 08:22:17 PM

A better question is:  If you had a really good coder build you a wallet client that was specifically designed to do double spending,
what percentage of the time would it work to create a zero confirmation transaction, without any "outside assistance" (other nodes coordinating in the attack etc)

This is unknowable, but considering that the issue about acceptance of zero confirm transactions is a meatspace issue primarily, it'd still be quite a trick for a hacked android client to produce two competing transactions at the exact same moment without Wal-Mart's bitcoin service noticing and denying the transaction.  Theoretically, the best chance you can have with a double spend attack is 50%, but that assmues that both the attacker and the vendor have equal access to the p2p network (which is unlikely in any event) and that the vendor hasn't taken steps to reduce his exposure (which is possible today, but would become as rare as hen's teeth a week after the public finds out that a true double spend attack was accoplished against a vendor).

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: