Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 06:48:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cleveland  (Read 1458 times)
kjlimo (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2011, 05:41:27 AM

So I really want to start approaching businesses in Cleveland to get them to use bitcoins.

However, I need to establish an understanding of how many people are in the state willing to spend bitcoins.

Please respond to this post and/or PM me if you are in Cleveland.

Please list businesses you would be willing to spend bitcoins at.  If I can get at least 10 people agree on one place they want to spend bitcoins, then I plan to approach the business.

I know https://bit-pay.com/ offers options and I may consider partnering with them to be taken seriously.

So I'll start: Vincenza's at 603 Prospect Ave. Cleveland, Ohio 44114

Would anyone else be willing to spend bitcoins at Vincenza's?  We probably need to keep it to one or two store businesses.  I doubt a chain would take me seriously or even have the option to adopt bitcoins at this point.

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1009

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
November 21, 2011, 05:57:21 AM

Way to take initiative!

Good luck!

PS. It's not Cleveland, but I would totally spend BTC at Cedar Point. =)

Manko

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 21, 2011, 01:43:21 PM

I'd be willing to buy from any major online shop, such as Amazon.
kjlimo (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2011, 02:21:50 PM

I think you're missing the point of my initiative....  I agree that if Amazon accepted bitcoin, that would be awesome.

I am focusing on brick & mortar stores in Cleveland.

I am going to target sole proprietorships because I doubt I can get a large company to listen to me yet.  I don't have enough gray hairs...

Cedar Point - would be tough, but if I had a list of 100 people, I might consider approaching them.  They have a lot of online sales as well, so that might have some possibilities of offering a great rate through bitcoin purchase.

Thanks, keep em coming!  I also kinda need to know how many people are in Cleveland with bitcoins to spend.  If I'm the only one, then merchants have no reason to deal specifically with me.  And that might mean that now is not the right time, or I should focus my efforts on another city like New York/ Chicago, etc.

That said, Cedar Point brings people from all over, so that means that I can include neighboring cities/states.  So please respond if you are interested in Cedar Point for bitcoins!

Fold for spending BTCs

Jonathan Ryan Owens
Donator

Activity: 392
Merit: 252

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2011, 05:49:41 AM

I think you're missing the point of my initiative....  I agree that if Amazon accepted bitcoin, that would be awesome.

I am going to target sole proprietorships because I doubt I can get a large company to listen to me yet.  I don't have enough gray hairs...

Cedar Point - would be tough, but if I had a list of 100 people, I might consider approaching them.  They have a lot of online sales as well, so that might have some possibilities of offering a great rate through bitcoin purchase.

Thanks, keep em coming!  I also kinda need to know how many people are in Cleveland with bitcoins to spend.  If I'm the only one, then merchants have no reason to deal specifically with me.  And that might mean that now is not the right time, or I should focus my efforts on another city like New York/ Chicago, etc.

That said, Cedar Point brings people from all over, so that means that I can include neighboring cities/states.  So please respond if you are interested in Cedar Point for bitcoins!

Are you planning on introducing them to bit-pay, which makes the barrier to entry much lower for them, or are you supposing that you'll give them all a tutorial on how to mitigate market exposure risks, set up accounts at tradehill and mtgox, etc?

I suggest the former Smiley

-Jonathan

kjlimo (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2011, 11:14:29 AM

Are you planning on introducing them to bit-pay, which makes the barrier to entry much lower for them, or are you supposing that you'll give them all a tutorial on how to mitigate market exposure risks, set up accounts at tradehill and mtgox, etc?

I suggest the former Smiley

-Jonathan

To answer your question, yes.  I will do one of those two approaches.  I'm not affiliated with bit-pay (yet) and I'm not going to make money from a tutorial (yet), so I don't care.  I just want them to use bitcoins, period.

I want to understand credit card fees.  If bit-pay has a compelling arguement, then I'll recommend that.  If these stores are willing to learn something else and/or hold on to bitcoins (possibly try to get their suppliers/employees to accept bitcoins as payment for their opperational expenses), it doesn't matter to me.

Bottom line is no one seems to be in Cleveland with bitcoins (yet) other than myself and my two friends, who obviously don't read these forums... 

Anyone in Cleveland???

Fold for spending BTCs

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
November 25, 2011, 11:24:27 PM

A tad off topic, but I'm about to head to Ohio tonight. Exit 91 off the toll road. Good luck with your attempt to getting users of Bitcoin and business attached in Cleveland. I have a little suggestion. Call it the Cleveland100. If I were in Ohio, I would commit. Since I'm in Illinois, I'll commit to anyone who wants to start and maintain the Chicago100. That said, although I haven't looked at a map lately, there's other cities here in the US, as well as around the globe, of which this idea would work.

Perth100
Bonn100
LA100
Paris100
Moscow100
London100
Pattaya100
Casablanca100
Dakar100

You get the idea. A kickstarter, to help get business keen on Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending.

EDIT: Hell! Just do it. Start a new thread calling it the Cleveland100, of which you organize and maintain. That is true with any other city. The thread title being just cityname100.

Atlas. What city you in? Start organizing and maintaining your city100 thread.

Matthew. What city in Korea? Start your city100 thread.

LET'S GET OFF OUR MOTHER FUCKIN' ASSES.

Continue the story... (Oops! Wrong Thread.)
kjlimo (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 27, 2011, 06:20:25 PM

Thanks for the suggestion.

I may do something like that in the future.  As for now, it doesn't seem like there's enough interest in Cleveland to make it worth it.

According to the meetup site, there are less than a handful of bitcoin users in Cleveland.

http://bitcoin.meetup.com/

I'm sure not everyone signs up for this site, but 2 people is not enough to inspire me.

Maybe I'll revisit this idea in 2012, but for now, I need to get back to real world issues for a while.

Fold for spending BTCs

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: