Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 01:32:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Please help me understand MONERO  (Read 148 times)
LavenderUnicorn (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 15, 2020, 11:38:26 AM

Hey guys, thank u for reading this. 

I am writing guides for bitcoin and altcoins and I am now on the topic of Monero.

Monero is so much harder for me to understand compared to other cryptocurrencies. 

I read a lot about it, and I still do not understand how Monero cryptography works.

All the rings and stealth addresses are too confusing and technical.

Can someone please dumb it down and explain it to me.  I am a noob 

Please help!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Asimmo

Activity: 728
Merit: 251

View Profile
February 15, 2020, 12:16:10 PM

All I know that Monero has different type of privacy, way more un-tracable..
Also, most widespread privacy coin..
andulolika
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 1047

View Profile
February 15, 2020, 12:21:24 PM
Last edit: May 22, 2020, 11:00:06 AM by andulolika

I am writing guides for bitcoin and altcoins and I am now on the topic of Monero.

Monero is so much harder for me to understand compared to other cryptocurrencies.  

I read a lot about it, and I still do not understand how Monero cryptography works.

Can someone please dumb it down and explain it to me.  I am a noob  

Please help!
I think you have all the info you need on monero.org

Really no one realised i mentioned a bad site? had no idea, the correct one is getmonero.org.

🔥 🔥 🔥  Satochip - Secure the future  🔥 🔥 🔥
⭐️ Hardware wallet on a smartcard | Affordable and easy to use | Open source and community driven | BTC, LTC, BCH (SLP tokens), ETH (ERC-20 tokens)... ⭐️
──WebsiteShop  |  Bitcointalk  |  Twitter  |  Telegram  |  Github──
qwizzie
Legendary

Activity: 2548
Merit: 1245

View Profile
February 16, 2020, 12:23:26 PM

While on the topic of trying to understand Monero, anyone understand how their official website got compromised a few months ago ?

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/11/official-monero-website-is-hacked-to-deliver-currency-stealing-malware/

Learn from the past, set detailed and vivid goals for the future and live in the only moment of time over which you have any control : now
andulolika
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 1047

View Profile
February 16, 2020, 01:21:42 PM
Last edit: May 22, 2020, 11:01:14 AM by andulolika

While on the topic of trying to understand Monero, anyone understand how their official website got compromised a few months ago ?

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/11/official-monero-website-is-hacked-to-deliver-currency-stealing-malware/
That's fixed already, I'm well aware of the happening. It didn't last that long tho.

Edit: Having a XMR wallet is pretty much same, it is simple, XMR addresses are way bigger in size too.
Updated upper post too.

🔥 🔥 🔥  Satochip - Secure the future  🔥 🔥 🔥
⭐️ Hardware wallet on a smartcard | Affordable and easy to use | Open source and community driven | BTC, LTC, BCH (SLP tokens), ETH (ERC-20 tokens)... ⭐️
──WebsiteShop  |  Bitcointalk  |  Twitter  |  Telegram  |  Github──
Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
February 16, 2020, 05:22:39 PM

Please help!

Watch those videos, some are tiny bit behind with details since Monero develops so rapidly, but in general are right. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnjUpT9gGxyQ_lud7uKoTCg/videos

If you have more time and really want to learn you should read Mastering Monero written by sershack. There is free PDF, but you can buy it if you want https://masteringmonero.com/
qwizzie
Legendary

Activity: 2548
Merit: 1245

View Profile
February 16, 2020, 05:47:25 PM
Last edit: February 16, 2020, 06:02:51 PM by qwizzie

That's fixed already, I'm well aware of the happening. It didn't last that long tho.

I am not asking if its fixed, i am asking how their official website got compromised in the first place.
How did hackers managed to get into a closed off server box ? What happened with Fluffypony's investigation of that closed off server box ?
What are the results of that investigation ?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/dyou81/psa_weve_posted_an_announcement_regarding_the/

Without some satisfying answers on above questions, Monero remains very shady and should not be trusted with regards to the security of its own official website,
from which users download their wallet binaries.

Learn from the past, set detailed and vivid goals for the future and live in the only moment of time over which you have any control : now
aemma
Copper Member

Activity: 966
Merit: 14

View Profile
May 22, 2020, 10:00:46 AM

To the best of my knowledge, Monero is a privacy coin which has proven to be the best owing to its highly anonymous nature; when privacy matters Monero tends to be the best to be leveraged on. Also, although it is facing backlashes from exchanges which are delisting it there are still new exchanges which are listing it as well. In addition, there are many other privacy coins but till date Monero keeps leading. As for the technical aspects, I think it is better asking the team as they will always be in the best place to answer, therefore with the answer gotten you can research on it to understand it more better.
Byakuga

Activity: 518
Merit: 28

View Profile
May 22, 2020, 11:29:48 AM

Please help!
Monero is an old privacy coin just like how Bitcoin was the first, the rings and stealth you talking about are just the features of Monero, the things that makes it's Privacy works, you don't actually needs to worry much about it, every is in auto when sending Monero coins from your wallet to another

▬▬▬▬▬▬▌   Vulcan Forged    ▐▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▌    Telegram   ▌    Discord      ▌     Twitter      ▐▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   DISCOVER   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
justdimin

Activity: 2996
Merit: 670

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
May 22, 2020, 04:37:56 PM

You do not really need to be an expert about it to write about it in detail. I don't know how long your topic will be and how many words you would need to explain it to people. However, if you are explaining it to people who doesn't know anything about it at all like you do not, that means you could talk about it a bit shallowly and you would still get away with it.

It is a currency that has privacy as the centerfold of all their blockchain, there are those "rings" and "stealth addresses" that you talked about that allows people to basically move around without getting traced, so its a privacy oriented currency. It also is asic resistant which means there will never be any asics for monero since they would simply change stuff around to make sure no asic works. I heard some countries are working on banning monero for the reason unable to tracing transactions but not sure how much true that news was but nowadays there are other similar coins available to strongly compete against monero.

█████████████████████████
███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
█████████████████████████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
DarkDays
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1189

View Profile
May 22, 2020, 05:29:36 PM

First of all, I'm curious why you're writing articles on a complex topic when you don't even understand it yourself?

Are you trying to spread misinformation? I'd suggest staying away from the technical details if you don't understand them, as you will only confuse your readers.

With that said, if you're genuinely willing to learn, check out this StackExchange thread on how RingCT works;

https://monero.stackexchange.com/questions/880/eli5-how-does-ringct-work

Some of the respondents break it down nicely.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: