Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:15:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How can a small shop survive in Manhattan,NY with a rent of 5k per month ?  (Read 337 times)
spy100 (OP)

Activity: 658
Merit: 257

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2020, 03:49:33 PM
Merited by The Sceptical Chymist (1)

How can a small shop survive in Manhattan,NY with a rent of  min 5k per month ? i just can't figure it out ...

Let's take this example, 2 fast foods next to each other

Both sell similar products at avg product price of 5 usd

Both pay rent 5000 usd month

5000 / 5 = 1000 customers monthly needed just to pay rent ,not including utilities ,salaries,stock ,advertising etc ...How do you think they survive and make a profit ?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
exstasie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1521

View Profile
May 11, 2020, 10:35:40 PM

It's one of the largest and densest cities in the world. The obvious answer is they have incredibly high transaction volume. The fast food restaurants you're looking at probably deal with several hundred customers a day, or at least they did before the pandemic.

High overheads like rent are also factored into the prices. A burger that costs you $3 out in the suburbs could cost you $8 in Manhattan. Everything costs more in the city.

Ucy

Activity: 2576
Merit: 401

View Profile
May 12, 2020, 11:15:28 AM

It's one of the largest and densest cities in the world. The obvious answer is they have incredibly high transaction volume. The fast food restaurants you're looking at probably deal with several hundred customers a day, or at least they did before the pandemic.

High overheads like rent are also factored into the prices. A burger that costs you $3 out in the suburbs could cost you $8 in Manhattan. Everything costs more in the city.
In some places, some will use the relatively expensive foods or things as an opportunity to get the cheap ones down to the location and sell on things like "motorized hawkers" or cheap stores (probably in special places reserved for them). I guess an expensive city will make provision for stuff like that for people who wish to eat/drink cheap.
. I usually get surprised when I find cheap regular food being sold so expensive in a city. I hardly buy them especially if they are of thesame quality or size. I look for the cheap ones
avikz
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1497

View Profile
May 12, 2020, 12:17:08 PM

Bro, the reason is very simple! The businesses are getting enough number of customers which make it up for them. Every new business starts with a target customer base and if they can successfully attract the targeted customer base to their business, they sustain or otherwise they stop operating. It's simple!

From you example, I will remove Subway because they are a global brand and then don't operate as per a stand alone business. Subway usually operates state wise and look at the profitability accordingly, unlike standalone shops. But if you see that standalone shops are surviving with 5k rent, they definitely get such volume to sustain.

Upgrade00
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 2147

Professional Community manager

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2020, 12:48:43 PM
Merited by The Sceptical Chymist (2)

Both sell similar products at avg product price of 5 usd
If the location is a densely populated area with lots of customers eating out then both businesses can survive, but if not, one may have to diversify or improve. Selling the exact same product with a neighboring store means competition.

•Rebranding your store: improving customer service, reaching out to a new customer base (such as accepting Bitcoin payments to attract crypto enthusiasts)
•Introducing new products: upgrading your recipe or introducing new items
•Leveraging on the internet to attract more customers: rather than waiting for customers to come to you, you can take your business to them, using; SEM and SEO tools.
These are just some of the ways one can keep such a business thriving.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
sheenshane
Legendary

Activity: 2366
Merit: 1206

🔰Buy/Sell Cryptocurrencies🔰

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2020, 01:23:17 PM

snipped-
•Rebranding your store: improving customer service, reaching out to a new customer base (such as accepting Bitcoin payments to attract crypto enthusiasts)
•Introducing new products: upgrading your recipe or introducing new items
•Leveraging on the internet to attract more customers: rather than waiting for customers to come to you, you can take your business to them, using; SEM and SEO tools.
These are just some of the ways one can keep such a business thriving.
Perfect suggestions, businesses are like a gamble where there is a possibility of winning but also a chance of losing. However, it is a risk that every business person takes for him to gain profit. Even top companies they experience the same as a matter of fact, small businesses may find it more difficult on how to gain profit out of the expenses.

The first thing that a business person would do before putting up a business in a certain location is conducting an ocular and checking the marketability of the area for their product before pushing with the plan aside for other promotion and marketing strategies that are already waiting to be executed.

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
The Sceptical Chymist
Legendary

Activity: 3290
Merit: 6758

Proudly Cycling Merits for Foxpup

View Profile
May 12, 2020, 01:37:24 PM

It's one of the largest and densest cities in the world. The obvious answer is they have incredibly high transaction volume.
That's definitely part of it.  And I would assume for small business owners, they rely a lot on business loans in addition to cash flow.  

I haven't been to NYC in quite a few years, but I recall being amazed at how many little mom-and-pop stores there were, selling everything from music to antiques to any number of things.  My guess is that those kinds of shops also have some kind of online presence and don't rely exclusively on foot traffic sales.

There was a member who was going to start up some kind of crypto arcade/coffee shop thing in NYC a few months ago.  I wonder what happened to him and his idea?

Edit:  OP gets 1 merit for showing a pic of the city, which makes me want to take a trip back there one of these days.

..JAMBLER.io..Create Your Bitcoin Mixing
Business Now for   F R E E 
▄█████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████▀████████████████████
███▀█████▄█▀███▀▀▀██████
██▀█████▄█▄██████████████
██▄▄████▀▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄██████
█████▄▄▄██████████▀▄████
█████▀▄█▄██████▀█▄█████
███████▀▄█▀█▄██▀█▄███████
█████████▄█▀▄█▀▄█████████
▀█████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████
      OUR      
PARTNERS

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
████████▀▀█████▀▀████████
█████▀█████████████▀█████
████████████████████████
███████████████▄█████████
███████████████▀█████████
████████████████████████
█████▄█████████████▄█████
████████▄▄█████▄▄████████
   INVEST   
BITCOIN

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
crwth
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2716
Merit: 1247

Try Gunbot for a month go to -> https://gunbot.ph

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2020, 01:46:14 PM

I don't think it's right to underestimate the capacity of that "small shop" you are talking about. If it stays in that rented space for a long time surely means it's profitable. No one is stupid enough to continually invest in something that loses in the long term, that's just outrageous.

There was a member who was going to start up some kind of crypto arcade/coffee shop thing in NYC a few months ago.  I wonder what happened to him and his idea?
Being in a coffee shop or arcade place that is crypto themed would be fun. Not a bad venture, I guess?

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
stompix
Legendary

Activity: 2842
Merit: 6156

Jambler.io

View Profile
May 12, 2020, 01:58:07 PM

5000 / 5 = 1000 customers monthly needed just to pay rent ,not including utilities ,salaries,stock ,advertising etc ...How do you think they survive and make a profit ?

You make it sound like a lot when in fact it's pretty low

1000 customers a month means 33 customers per day or two customers per hour or one customer every 30 minutes. For example, the largest McDonalds here has on average 2k customers a day, with the smallest one only 600, multiply this by the 4-5 euro average order and you're going to realize 5k is nothing.

BTC
BTC
 BTC
BTC
..JAMBLER.io..
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██

██

██

██
YOUR OPPORTUNITY TO
HAVE BITCOIN BUSINESS

██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██

██

██

██
  BTC
. BTC

BTC
  BTC
Snappycoco

Activity: 534
Merit: 19

View Profile
May 12, 2020, 02:27:03 PM

The demand is too high I guess. They wouldn't last for a year if they cant get much in return. The rent was high due to the location and probably they are selling much more than $10K a month.
plvbob0070
Copper Member

Activity: 658
Merit: 402

View Profile
May 12, 2020, 02:56:13 PM

Starting a business requires a good location. A place with expensive rent means that the location is good enough for a business. Do you think shop owners would agree to pay expensive rent if they are not earning enough?

I may not be familiar with the place and the shops in that place, but maybe there's quite a lot of various shops there where people love to go shopping.  They won't stay there if they are not earning there. It only means that their revenues can handle all of their expenses (rent, utilities, and salaries). And that's how business works. The more people go to that place, the higher its demand for business renting. So, of course, the owner can increase the price of renting there.

I don't think I need to do math or any computations but that's how it works. Even in malls, rent expense there is expensive because it's a good place where people go to spend their money. Same thing for this place.
suchmoon
Legendary

Activity: 3640
Merit: 8906

https://bpip.org

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2020, 03:09:23 PM

Does that particular place really cost $5k a month? Seems excessive for 125th Ave (Harlem?).

Having said that, two locations a block away from each other can have vastly different costs. It's all about foot traffic. If the rent is $5k then it means there's a demand for it and it's worth that much for the business occupying it.
Lucius
Legendary

Activity: 3192
Merit: 5543

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat⚔️

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2020, 03:17:16 PM

Edit:  OP gets 1 merit for showing a pic of the city, which makes me want to take a trip back there one of these days.

I don't know when this picture was taken, but I'm honestly amazed by the amount of garbage visible on the sidewalk and the road, maybe the city's cleanup services were on strike or is that something normal for NY? To me personally this does not look touristically attractive...

How can a small shop survive in Manhattan,NY with a rent of  min 5k per month ? i just can't figure it out ...

You have already received your answer, but I would add that many such shops actually serve as a screen for some other illegal business. It's about the USA after all, watch a mafia movie and it will be clearer to you Wink

..JAMBLER.io..Create Your Bitcoin Mixing
Business Now for   F R E E 
████▀████████████████████
███▀█████▄█▀███▀▀▀██████
██▀█████▄█▄██████████████
██▄▄████▀▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄██████
█████▄▄▄██████████▀▄████
█████▀▄█▄██████▀█▄█████
███████▀▄█▀█▄██▀█▄███████
█████████▄█▀▄█▀▄█████████
      OUR      
PARTNERS

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
████████▀▀█████▀▀████████
█████▀█████████████▀█████
████████████████████████
███████████████▄█████████
███████████████▀█████████
████████████████████████
█████▄█████████████▄█████
████████▄▄█████▄▄████████
   INVEST   
BITCOIN

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
davinchi
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1058

View Profile
May 12, 2020, 03:31:18 PM

Well, there is two reasons why they can, the average price could be 5 dollars, but they usually sell extra that would help them.

For example a burger could be 5 bucks, there are some people who will get chips with it, and get drinks with it, and there will even be people who will get other stuff as well (nuggets and so forth) which means that place will not need remotely to 1000 number at all.

That is what I imagined before I talked with a person who owned a mcdonalds at a place there was basically nothing around, not really many people even went there at all neither, so why would people pay 10 million dollars for a mcdonalds franchise when there are 10 people who go there per day? Well they do house calls as well, so people call that mcdonalds and ask for stuff.

Basically all of these places make money from the extra and not just the fast food main item.
DaveF
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 6129

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2020, 03:38:43 PM

Very easily (well till now).
It's all about the numbers. There are 1.6 million people living in 23 Square miles. More once you factor in the people who commute to work there.

There are a dozen+ STATES that do not have that many people. The question really is how do stores in those unpopulated places survive.
How about this fun (pre covid) statistic...

Penn Station the main train station in NYC has (had...) over 650,000 people going through it per day.

That is more then the population of Wyoming or Vermont. How much would you pay to have that many eyes on your store per day? And why would you want to open up a store in a place like Wyoming when nobody is around to shop there.

-Dave

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
suchmoon
Legendary

Activity: 3640
Merit: 8906

https://bpip.org

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2020, 03:47:30 PM

I don't know when this picture was taken, but I'm honestly amazed by the amount of garbage visible on the sidewalk and the road, maybe the city's cleanup services were on strike or is that something normal for NY? To me personally this does not look touristically attractive...

You can look it up on Google street view - November 2019.

I don't think many tourists are visiting that particular location and in general people don't go to NYC to admire clean streets. You can't see the trash from the top of Empire State Building.
HeRetiK
Legendary

Activity: 2884
Merit: 2061

View Profile
May 12, 2020, 04:35:28 PM
Last edit: May 12, 2020, 04:46:14 PM by HeRetiK
Merited by suchmoon (7)

How can a small shop survive in Manhattan,NY with a rent of  min 5k per month ? i just can't figure it out ...

Apart from all the reasons mentioned above on how a small shop can survive with this kind of rent I feel there has been one thing left out:

Many shops don't.

Maybe it has always been that way but I feel that especially in the last few years there have been many articles and opinion pieces on this matter:
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/dec/24/new-york-retail-shops-amazon-rent
https://www.citylab.com/life/2019/08/vacant-storefront-tracker-law-nyc-retail-rent-control/595294/
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2018/10/new-york-retail-vacancy/572911/

Additionally, just because you see a store renting a place doesn't mean they are doing well. Maybe next year they'll be gone again. There's a bit of survivorship bias going on in that you'll mostly remember stores that stick around, not the ones that have to close after a short run.

Edit: While the stores in OP's screenshot have stuck around for the full available Streetview timeline (2009 - 2019) you can see a bit of fluctuation on the opposite side of the street (Referring to the locations of the curry place and the deli right next to it, also the nail saloon or whatever that was being replaced by Chase some time after 2013).
eaLiTy

Activity: 2814
Merit: 911

Have Fun )@@( Stay Safe

View Profile
May 12, 2020, 04:57:49 PM
Last edit: May 12, 2020, 05:25:52 PM by eaLiTy

From you example, I will remove Subway because they are a global brand and then don't operate as per a stand alone business. Subway usually operates state wise and look at the profitability accordingly, unlike standalone shops. But if you see that standalone shops are surviving with 5k rent, they definitely get such volume to sustain.
Even if it is a global brand people purchase the franchise and run the business, they need to set up everything and if they are under loss they will be forced to shut down.

@OP In a normal situation all these shops are able to survive but the lock down and the Corona scare will force many business to close down as when can we expect people going out in groups and dinning, it might take several months and it is impossible for everyone to sustain in a situation like this.

If they get orders for home delivery they can survive if they are getting the sufficient orders to sustain and hopefully the government will intervene in helping these small businesses to survive.
exstasie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1521

View Profile
May 12, 2020, 07:28:24 PM

There was a member who was going to start up some kind of crypto arcade/coffee shop thing in NYC a few months ago.  I wonder what happened to him and his idea?

Pipdips? https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5185072

Something tells me it never got off the ground. Cheesy

From you example, I will remove Subway because they are a global brand and then don't operate as per a stand alone business.

They operate under a franchise model. Each shop does operate as a standalone business because they are independently owned by a franchisee. It's a struggling brand too. I wouldn't want to be slinging deli meat in today's restaurant market.

dothebeats
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 1352

Excel is fun

View Profile
May 12, 2020, 08:55:55 PM

You underestimate the affinity of the people in dense cities to flock to these shops out of habit and/or curiosity on what's new on their offerings.

It's mostly consumer psychology that drives these owners to set up shop on small spaces albeit the ridiculous prices for rent. Also, property owners would not make the prices of the rent high if there isn't enough foot traffic/public activity going on around those areas. And I'm pretty sure the owners of these small shops had their risks assessed thoroughly before releasing the moolah on this gamble which we call business.

The fact remains the same though, a huge portion of these shops/businesses are set to fail even if they got off the ground pretty quickly. The remaining ones that you see either got that great formula of businesses and consumer wants/needs plus good management on their stores/business.

▄▄███████▄▄
▄██████████████▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████████▄█▀████▄
███████████▄███████████
██████████▄█▀███████████
██████████▀████████████
▀█████▄█▀█████████████▀
▀████▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀