Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 04:29:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The truth is out: money is just an IOU, and the banks are rolling in it  (Read 3992 times)
alexeft
Legendary

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 08:45:07 AM

What's interesting is the article claims that candor from the BoE "throws the theoretical basis for austerity out the window". I draw the opposite conclusion. The Crown is not spending real money, only value stolen from people already holding pounds.

Money created from thin air is not wealth created from thin air. It is wealth stolen from the owners of devalued currency.

in germany banks are actually possessing only 2-3% of the money they gave out as credit. if 3 out of 100 bank customers decide to get their funds out the bank the institute will go belly up.
that is why merkel in 2008 after lehman brothers collapse went live on nationwide tv stating to the public that "all funds are safe, the german government is backing every account, stay calm"

it is really funny: for several hundred years people did not know if they should trust banks & governments about the money because they never knew for sure if there was enough gold/silver backing those strange pieces of paper they were given.

today we have a different problem. there is not even enough paper money around to back up all the money in account. let that sink.  Cheesy

Sometimes one wonders if there's even enough....paper!!!!!!  Cheesy

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
murraypaul

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 10:02:47 AM

The expert claims that in some cases banks have lent out TEN TIMES as much money as they actually have.

Yes.
Is that meant to be a surprise to anyone?

BTC: 16TgAGdiTSsTWSsBDphebNJCFr1NT78xFW
SRC: scefi1XMhq91n3oF5FrE3HqddVvvCZP9KB
herzmeister
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2014, 11:12:00 AM

Money doesn't have to be backed by material resources, like gold. If we're on an island that has no gold, should we suspend all trading and starve? Obviously not. The issue is, as with everything, about trust.

The problem is not that money is "just an IOU". Every LETS works like that.

The problem is who controls the issuance of those IOUs, and the rules that come with it, and the deliberate complexity and bureaucracy that allows parasites to suck off wealth on each level of the pyramid.

In a LETS, if I'm a plumber, I can trade one hour of my plumbing work against one hour of your plumbing work. In today's system, I pay the plumber 10 times more per hour than my own hourly wage. Go figure.

https://localbitcoins.com/?ch=80k | BTC: 1LJvmd1iLi199eY7EVKtNQRW3LqZi8ZmmB
murraypaul

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 11:15:00 AM

In a LETS, if I'm a plumber, I can trade one hour of my plumbing work against one hour of your plumbing work. In today's system, I pay the plumber 10 times more per hour than my own hourly wage. Go figure.

Shrug. Not all jobs are equally valuable.
If you have skills or knowledge other people don't, but that they require, you will be able to command a higher fee for your work.
If you don't, you won't.
I don't begrudge paying plumbers, electricians, etc... for their skills. They can do things I need, and can't do myself.

BTC: 16TgAGdiTSsTWSsBDphebNJCFr1NT78xFW
SRC: scefi1XMhq91n3oF5FrE3HqddVvvCZP9KB
herzmeister
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2014, 11:19:31 AM

This was a simplification, assuming both plumbers are equally valuable (but still I have to pay 10 times more in today's system). Many LETS in fact do accommodate for the fact that your work might be more valuable than mine.

https://localbitcoins.com/?ch=80k | BTC: 1LJvmd1iLi199eY7EVKtNQRW3LqZi8ZmmB
superresistant
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1120

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 11:20:14 AM

Shrug. Not all jobs are equally valuable.
If you have skills or knowledge other people don't, but that they require, you will be able to command a higher fee for your work.
If you don't, you won't.
I don't begrudge paying plumbers, electricians, etc... for their skills. They can do things I need, and can't do myself.

He's not talking about the value of jobs between them but the fact that most of the money you use is sucked out to the top of the pyramid.

The more money you have, the more money you get.

Having too few money is being a slave of the system.
sgbett
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1087

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 12:08:54 PM

The expert claims that in some cases banks have lent out TEN TIMES as much money as they actually have.

Yes.

Anyone here? Or anyone reasons the Sun?

"A purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash would allow online payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a financial institution" - Satoshi Nakamoto
*my posts are not investment advice*
sidhujag
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1005

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 02:41:01 PM

Yes.

Yup the law is that if you deposit $1 you can effectively lend $99 if the people you lend each $9 deposit back into a bank(which they always do)... that $99 is printed.
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 04:26:41 PM

Yes.

Yup the law is that if you deposit $1 you can effectively lend $99 if the people you lend each $9 deposit back into a bank(which they always do)... that $99 is printed.

iirc leverage is 10000 not 10.
sidhujag
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1005

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 05:43:50 AM

Yes.

iirc leverage is 10000 not 10.

Its 10:1 becoming 100:1 because of bank monopolies.

That number doesnt even make sense.
Zarathustra
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1004

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 06:51:03 AM

Money doesn't have to be backed by material resources, like gold. If we're on an island that has no gold, should we suspend all trading and starve? Obviously not. The issue is, as with everything, about trust.

The problem is not that money is "just an IOU". Every LETS works like that.

The problem is who controls the issuance of those IOUs, and the rules that come with it, and the deliberate complexity and bureaucracy that allows parasites to suck off wealth on each level of the pyramid.

Yes, money has never been something different than debt. Money is debt, gold is gold and cirarettes are cigarettes.
Wilhelm
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1265

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 08:34:05 AM

What I was told by the illuminati is that...

A bank only has to hold a small percentage of their capital so they can invest the larger percentage.
This way they can create more money by investing it in a diversified way. The results of the investment become profits and we customers receive a percentage on our money.
Every bank customer knows that their money is being invested unless they are ignorant Smiley

So yes it is true that a bank only holds a few percent of its total capital. If they would HODL you would have to pay yearly for storing your money in that bank.

If "a lot" of people want their money because the bank can not produce it since it is tied up in investments and retreiving it takes time. This can sometimes cause FUD and panic resulting in a cascading collapse of a good bank. For bad banks the retreiving time is infinity so they go belly up no matter what.

Technically money in the bank is an IOY of an IOY since fiat is an IOY already Smiley

There is only a problem if they lose money in investments and cover it up by acting like they have profits. Only this last point is a real problem since the money is non existent.
Usually a country has a central bank or reserve which is the only place money can be created. This should expose the bad banks quickly or allow a country to act accordingly without having FUD spread through the population. With the use of credit and debit cards I believe banks are capable of creating virtual money and that's a bad thing.

I also believe the banking system is rotten and I like bitcoin.

Disclaimer: I'm do not work for a bank or own one or have any good knowledge of them. Feel free to comment.

Bitcoin is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get !!
BitOnyx

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

Cryptocurrencies Exchange

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2014, 08:44:25 AM

Well this system should sink in 2008, sad thing is taxpayers must keep it alive now. System will collapse at some point, together with it fiat and London Club.

JimboToronto
Legendary

Activity: 4004
Merit: 4473

You're never too old to think young.

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 08:49:43 AM

Good thread. Too bad it'll probably get moved.
deepDown

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 09:26:08 AM

Has anyone of the macro-financial experts here even bothered to read the original article (and not just THE MONEY IS NOT REAL sensationalism from the OP link)?

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/publications/Documents/quarterlybulletin/2014/qb14q102.pdf

And if you can't read scientific articles - here is what is the main statement of this one:

As a by-product of QE, new central bank reserves are created. But these are not an important part of the transmission mechanism. This article explains how, just as in normal times, these reserves cannot be multiplied into more loans and deposits and how these reserves do not represent ‘free money’ for banks.

Wink
Ibian
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1278

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 01:27:05 PM

As a by-product of QE, new central bank reserves are created. But these are not an important part of the transmission mechanism. This article explains how, just as in normal times, these reserves cannot be multiplied into more loans and deposits
Does anyone really believe that? Even IF they can't touch the money in normal (that is, fraudulent) ways, without them they would not have money to lend out - or in some cases, a bank at all.

and how these reserves do not represent ‘free money’ for banks.
Which is it? Is it not money or is it not free?

Look inside yourself, and you will see that you are the bubble.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: