Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 08:00:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: #DeGoogle - Take back control of your privacy  (Read 403 times)
20kevin20
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1597

View Profile
May 24, 2020, 03:46:58 PM

Does the Playstore have access to your location?

I don't have an android phone, but I thought you can give each app permissions?
I would personally not rely on those little switches in our phone settings. I'm very suspicious when it comes to them - as they are not physical switches, a little coding backdoor could give you only the impression that you've turned the permissions on. And honestly, I believe Google has control over your phone at any time.

We have some news now:

Apple has launched a software update for iOS which includes the basic stuff needed for contact tracing apps. In other words... this thread now has even more substance.

The problem is that, while iOS has an optional software update, Google introduced the basic stuff needed for contact tracing without asking you for your permission. If your phone has had Google Play Services updated recently (and I believe it's done automatically), you most likely have the contact tracing stuff in your phone already.

To check if you do, you only need to do 3 steps:
 1. Open your phone's Settings
 2. Look for the "Google" settings, open them
 3. If the opening window shows some COVID-19 exposure settings, you have the update in your phone.

One more reason to forever and completely abandon Google. No offense but fuck them. Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
xxjumperxx (OP)

Activity: 504
Merit: 268

Buy Bitcoin!

View Profile
May 25, 2020, 05:34:30 AM

-snip-
I would personally not rely on those little switches in our phone settings. I'm very suspicious when it comes to them - as they are not physical switches, a little coding backdoor could give you only the impression that you've turned the permissions on. And honestly, I believe Google has control over your phone at any time.

True to that. I dont trust Google at all.

We have some news now:

Apple has launched a software update for iOS which includes the basic stuff needed for contact tracing apps. In other words... this thread now has even more substance.

The problem is that, while iOS has an optional software update, Google introduced the basic stuff needed for contact tracing without asking you for your permission. If your phone has had Google Play Services updated recently (and I believe it's done automatically), you most likely have the contact tracing stuff in your phone already.

To check if you do, you only need to do 3 steps:
 1. Open your phone's Settings
 2. Look for the "Google" settings, open them
 3. If the opening window shows some COVID-19 exposure settings, you have the update in your phone.

One more reason to forever and completely abandon Google. No offense but fuck them. Smiley

I can confirm the iOS Portion of the statement.
My iPhone has been updated and just searching through the settings for Covid found that option
It was installed during the last update.
Yes it was added, but the it was disabled.
So thats a nice thing to see of Apple, offer it but don't enable it by default and force it onto its users.
20kevin20
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1597

View Profile
May 25, 2020, 12:16:37 PM

So thats a nice thing to see of Apple, offer it but don't enable it by default and force it onto its users.
It's partially forced from Apple too, as you will probably never be able to update your device again to a newer, better-looking and more secure OS without having to also get the COVID update.

Google's update might actually be easier to back out from as it only requires the Services update reversal (although IIRC, you some apps become obsolete without the latest version of Google Services).

What annoys me is the fact that they add these things without ever letting you know that "hey, this is something new we added inside your device!". I, for one, don't agree with contact tracing be it anonymous or not, so I would never want to have even the basic stuff of it inside my phone.
xxjumperxx (OP)

Buy Bitcoin!

View Profile
May 25, 2020, 01:33:16 PM

It's partially forced from Apple too, as you will probably never be able to update your device again to a newer, better-looking and more secure OS without having to also get the COVID update.

Google's update might actually be easier to back out from as it only requires the Services update reversal (although IIRC, you some apps become obsolete without the latest version of Google Services).

What annoys me is the fact that they add these things without ever letting you know that "hey, this is something new we added inside your device!". I, for one, don't agree with contact tracing be it anonymous or not, so I would never want to have even the basic stuff of it inside my phone.

Apple will always be watched closely...
I mean if it gets updated and stays disabled and will only be active when activated I am fine with that.

If its off and still sends data and one expert finds out, it will be Apple on a serving plate.
xxjumperxx (OP)

Buy Bitcoin!

View Profile
July 02, 2020, 11:32:32 AM

Just a warning I read about the DuckDuckGo Browser

DuckDuckGo browser seemingly sends domains a user visits to DDG servers

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=23708166

Supposedly not saving or using the personal information, but weird of them to even use the server based method of getting a favicon...

Someone concerned about privacy should maybe consider using a different browser for now...
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: