Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 12:05:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Import BitGo-Wallet into Electrum?  (Read 198 times)
MM_Group_ (OP)

Activity: 72
Merit: 12

View Profile
May 21, 2020, 06:32:56 AM
Merited by o_e_l_e_o (1)

Hello,
I am using an online service which uses BitGo as a Wallet-Provider. I got two Privat Keys / Seeds and one public-key. Is there any way to import those keys into electrum?
BitGo uses a 2 of 3 scheme. When I import a 2 of 3 scheme into electrum and input my keys it returns a wallet, but the address is different from that I get online and there is no transactionhistorie. As I already send and recieved through that wallet there should be a history.

Any clues?
Thanks!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
o_e_l_e_o
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 18504

View Profile
May 21, 2020, 08:26:14 AM

If you want to use Electrum instead of BitGo, then you would be better off generating a new Electrum wallet from scratch and sending your funds from BitGo to it. Having a 2-of-3 multisig wallet in Electrum where you hold 2 of the keys will only cause headaches down the line. Better to just have a standard wallet and send all your coins to it.

If you've lost access to your BitGo account, then try going through their recovery procedures - https://app.bitgo.com/login/forgot-password. They also have a wallet recovery wizard here (https://github.com/BitGo/wallet-recovery-wizard) which would help you recover your wallet so you could then send the coins elsewhere.

Are you sure the keys you are holding are correct? Your "active" private key and back up key, and the public key which corresponds to the private key which BitGo hold on your behalf? This reddit post says the the keys BitGo emails you to store are encrypted with your wallet password. Is this the case with your keys?
MM_Group_ (OP)

View Profile
May 21, 2020, 08:55:37 AM
Last edit: May 21, 2020, 09:20:38 AM by MM_Group_

Hello, thx for your answer.

I just confirmed the pub again as show in the online wallet and it matches. I got the two seeds and both are the ones I wrote down initially. So from my point of view it should be fine but electrum always gives me a different dress than the one online.

The recovery wizard is working and seems to decode normally, but as I am only testing the address is close to empty. That being say  bingo or their providers seem to charge a fee on recovery and that fee is higher than the balance.

Still strange, that electrum gives another address back. Seems unlikely but it does. I don't get what I am doing wrong...as I got two correct seeds + 2 xpub it should be fine for a 2 of 3 setup imo.
o_e_l_e_o
In memoriam
Legendary

View Profile
May 21, 2020, 09:15:15 AM
Last edit: May 21, 2020, 11:30:13 AM by o_e_l_e_o

Seems unlikely but it does. I don't get what I am doing wrong...as I got two correct seeds + 2 pub it should be fine for a 2 of 3 setup imo.
Wait, so you have two seeds and two public keys? You said in your initial post you had two seeds and one public key? The seeds are both 12 words long? They are BIP39 seeds, and you are selecting the "BIP39" option when importing them to to Electrum? What letters does the public key (or keys) begin with? "xpub", "Ypub", or "Zpub"?

Does your BitGo address begin with the character "1", "3", or "bc1"? What about the incorrect address you generate in Electrum?
MM_Group_ (OP)

View Profile
May 21, 2020, 09:20:21 AM

Oh did I write two xpub? Sorry!

I have got: 2x 12 Word bip39 seed and ONE xpub key

The adresses generated by the service using the bingo wallet are starting with bc1 so they are segwit. Still the electrum dresses start with 3 (legacy Multisig)
Still it should show a balance even if one is segwit and one not right? I am a bit confused right now...
o_e_l_e_o
In memoriam
Legendary

View Profile
May 21, 2020, 09:42:03 AM
Last edit: May 21, 2020, 11:30:23 AM by o_e_l_e_o

Still it should show a balance even if one is segwit and one not right?
No, it won't. The different address types are totally separate. Any balances on one won't show up on the other.

If you have an xpub, you will only be able to generate legacy multi-sig addresses in Electrum. If the BitGo wallet is showing you a "bc1" address, then you need a Zpub from BitGo to generate that address in Electrum.
MM_Group_ (OP)

View Profile
May 21, 2020, 10:03:28 AM

Ah ok. I thought it would show either way. Good to know!

I will ask BitGo / Bitwala for my pub key then. Thank you very much!! Great help!

Edit: Can I simply use this service to get my zpub? https://jlopp.github.io/xpub-converter/
blue Snow
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1022

#SWGT CERTIK Audited

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2020, 10:51:34 AM

Edit: Can I simply use this service to get my zpub? https://jlopp.github.io/xpub-converter/
different way is https://casa.github.io/xpub-converter/ or here converting xpub to the p2wpkh-p2sh format: https://github.com/AbdussamadA/electrum-convert-key

MM_Group_ (OP)

View Profile
May 21, 2020, 11:09:06 AM
Last edit: May 21, 2020, 11:21:50 AM by MM_Group_

Well the Casa one is the same as I already got Grin

So when I put my pub there and get my zpub and I import it along site my seeds into an 2 of 3 electrum Multisig wallet with P2WSH it still does not show anything...
I don't know what is wrong. I got the two correct seed and now even the zpub. Still nothing...

Derivation path is: m/48'/0'/0'/2'
o_e_l_e_o
In memoriam
Legendary

View Profile
May 21, 2020, 11:50:21 AM

Can I simply use this service to get my zpub? https://jlopp.github.io/xpub-converter/
It's not going to be as easy as that, unfortunately. The xpub public key you have from BitGo will be the public key for the specific derivation path that they use. If you turn it in to the Zpub, then you will end up with the Zpub specific for the same derivation path. There's also no guarantee that the Zpub equivalent of the xpub you have is the correct one for your addresses.

Having a look through their documentation did reveal the following:
BitGo wallets currently are hard-coded with their root at m/0/0 across all 3 keychains

Given that, you could try creating a multisig wallet in Electrum, on the page that follows after entering both seeds select "native segwit multisig" and then change the suggested derivation path to m/0/0, and for the third key enter the Zpub you obtained from the tool you linked.

If that doesn't work (and I'm not hopeful it will), then you'll need to contact BitGo.
MM_Group_ (OP)

View Profile
May 21, 2020, 12:03:58 PM

Thanks for all the advise.
I tried with the m/0/0 thing but it did not work. I guess I will have to contact BitGo and get the right zpub-key.
Looking forward to their answer Grin

Thanks so far!
blue Snow
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1022

#SWGT CERTIK Audited

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2020, 12:04:13 PM

Derivation path is: m/48'/0'/0'/2'
I read your address begin bc1, your derivation path is wrong as native format, true is m/84'/0'/0'/0 not 48

MM_Group_ (OP)

View Profile
May 21, 2020, 12:17:39 PM

Well with the 84 one I also get bc1 Adresses but again no balance...

Hello,

Unfortunately, this is not a function that we support or can provide guidance on. We also cannot provide you with a zpub key as requested, in fact, we do not generally release xpub information either. That being the case, we regret to inform you that we have no means of assisting you with your request.

Best Regards,

Justin S.
BitGo Customer Support
o_e_l_e_o
In memoriam
Legendary

View Profile
May 21, 2020, 12:22:50 PM
Merited by blue Snow (1)

I read your address begin bc1, your derivation path is wrong as native format, true is m/84'/0'/0'/0 not 48
m/48'/0'/0'/2' is the correct default derivation path for multi-sig native segwit in Electrum. m/84'/0'/0' is for standard (non-multi-sig) wallets.

-snip-
That response is very unhelpful. At this point I would just use their wallet recovery tool and sweep all the funds to a normal Electrum wallet.
MM_Group_ (OP)

View Profile
May 21, 2020, 12:33:04 PM

I would totally do that but the "problem" is that I want to use Bitwala to buy my BTC but I wanted to set the network fee to e.g. 1 sat/byte when sending to my cold-storage. Bitwala / BitGo are only offering a little slider but not enough manual input. Thats why I "have to" use this shit wallet even further but as it seems I cannot recommend BitGo Wallets for anyone!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: