Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 09:02:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The new interface in Bitcoin 0.5.0 is BAD when compared to the 0.4.0 interface  (Read 5227 times)
Therilith

Activity: 62
Merit: 10

100X100111XX10

View Profile
November 22, 2011, 10:18:25 PM

OP is being just a little too nostalgic and afraid of change here.
As a general rule, accusing people of being "afraid of change" is an incredibly annoying and condescending way to dismiss their (potentially) valid concerns.

All of the minor details that OP lists should not be taken too seriously.
As defined by Thempsleighs Codified Rules of Applied Seriousness (Vol. 2).

Money is power. If you would like to transfer some of your power to me (making yourself weaker and me stronger), use the following address: 1PoFSpghmpsebfwZwnu5PPmmv2u9uYgJKo

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Shuai

Activity: 189
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 22, 2011, 10:31:03 PM

I think the new UI is great!

I do think that it would be nice with more numbers and text directly, rather than having to hover to get information.
freakfantom

Activity: 73
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 23, 2011, 05:57:22 AM

Bitcoin 0.5.0 is very good and what's more important for Bitcoin's growth, it has user friendly interface!
btc_artist

Activity: 154
Merit: 101

Bitcoin!

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2011, 03:52:00 PM

The switch to QT is the right decision. Does the UI need some (minor) improvements?  Yes.  Will we be seeing improvements?  I'm confident we will.

BTC: 1CDCLDBHbAzHyYUkk1wYHPYmrtDZNhk8zf
LTC: LMS7SqZJnqzxo76iDSEua33WCyYZdjaQoE
runeks
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
November 26, 2011, 01:05:17 AM

I like the new Qt client, but I have to agree that the splash screen is corny. In my opinion it would be a lot more elegant to integrate the "Loading..."-phase into the GUI of the client, so the actual GUI can be shown immediately.

Simply save the balances and recent transactions to a file on exit. When the program starts up, show the GUI immediately with the old balances/transactions in a "disabled" window (everything greyed out) with a big "Loading wallet information..." and an animated icon on top of this to show that the application is still running. Then when the block chain etc. is loaded, replace the old cached balance/transactions with the newly parsed stuff and remove the "Loading"-text/icon.
Deafboy

Activity: 482
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
November 26, 2011, 02:29:58 AM

I agree with some points in first post.
1) There is huge space waste in list of transactions and addresses. 2/3 of the line height would be fine.
2) I don't know about windows client, but on Ubuntu the sharp-edge boxes on overview page seems almost like a UI bug. (most visible using elementary gtk theme)
3) And I also don't like the splash screen.

Unfortunately I am not able to do anything about 1st and 2nd point, but here are some mockups of splash screen:
http://deafboy.cicolina.org/igelitka/btc-logo/

I was trying to find this topic yesterday without luck so I have posted it in older thread related to splash screen.
MysteryMiner (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1029

Show middle finger to system and then destroy it!

View Profile
November 26, 2011, 07:52:28 PM

Mmm... perfect software...

You notice how we aren't at Bitcoin version 1.0 yet?  That the version is "0.5 BETA" ?
Did You notice that DC++ is still 0.782 version? If it was made by Google or Symantec, the same DC++ will be version 10 or 12 major version. Numbering in general does not represent usability or buginness of software. You will not get cake when releasing 1.0 version, Mozilla did not get one for Firefox 8.0 Cheesy
the huge problem with the old GUI is we have no wxWidgets GUI programmers willing to support the old GUI.
Better to find new developer than use another GUI and screw the whole software up.
OP is being just a little too nostalgic and afraid of change here. 
Imagine, if You are a straight man and I will offer to sodomize You with big rubber dildo, I will tell that You are too nostalgic and afraid of change. This is not a valid argument at all. The software must be clean, fast, technical, easy to understand just by looking at it. It's like the MS Office 2000 compared to Office 2007 and Ribbon. Sure, both of them works, but my mother needed to completely relearn how to use office suite. I also had a trouble to find menu items for a first few days.
Bitcoin 0.5.0 is very good and what's more important for Bitcoin's growth, it has user friendly interface!
The 0.40 did not have? Can You tell why it did not have?

I was away and busy for few days so no mockups of improvements on 0.4.0 exist for now. And thank's to all who donated to both my public and private adresses, so I thin'k I'm not alone with such concerns about Bitcoin future. There is a few nostalgic, afraid of change people, who don't like childish interfaces.

bc1q59y5jp2rrwgxuekc8kjk6s8k2es73uawprre4j
Beroper

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 29, 2011, 05:54:33 PM

i am agree with the topic

the gui of new version 0.5 is suck.

address book + receive coins are useless. after received some coins, the address wont even be changed automatic.

user need to click on "receive coins", new,and copy. and there is no order in  "receive coins". it makes many address mix up,thats sucks.

overview is weak too, 0.4 is much better than this one.
Litt

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 29, 2011, 09:08:33 PM

Something I learned from GA at local occupy movement.

Unless you have a clear proposal that includes how you will make improvements on your complaints, your complaint will be ignored and not be presented to everyone for discussion.

So this thread is completely useless in that regard. Just complaining to complain hoping someone will care about your crying. Moving on.
Therilith

Activity: 62
Merit: 10

100X100111XX10

View Profile
December 03, 2011, 06:49:27 PM

Unless you have a clear proposal that includes how you will make improvements on your complaints, your complaint will be ignored and not be presented to everyone for discussion.

So this thread is completely useless in that regard. Just complaining to complain hoping someone will care about your crying. Moving on.

Wouldn't mentally changing the thread title from
"The new interface in Bitcoin 0.5.0 is BAD!"
to
"The new interface in Bitcoin 0.5.0 is BAD when compared to the 0.4.0 interface"
(which is pretty much implied already)
completely invalidate your criticism of their criticism?

Money is power. If you would like to transfer some of your power to me (making yourself weaker and me stronger), use the following address: 1PoFSpghmpsebfwZwnu5PPmmv2u9uYgJKo
MysteryMiner (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 04, 2011, 02:03:20 PM

Wouldn't mentally changing the thread title from
"The new interface in Bitcoin 0.5.0 is BAD!"
to
"The new interface in Bitcoin 0.5.0 is BAD when compared to the 0.4.0 interface"
(which is pretty much implied already)
completely invalidate your criticism of their criticism?
Ok, changed the topic title.
after received some coins, the address wont even be changed automatic.
Yes, I also seen that, but it's more to do with functionality than GUI. The Bitcoin is intended to use new adress for every recieved payment, so changing adress automatically is what Satoshi intended and implemented.

My sugesstion is abandon Qt version completely and stick to 0.4.0 and add interface elements to that, not rework it from scratch. Sorry, I still have not made the mockups of my vision on wxwidgets version, I'm busy right now and Bitcoin is no more on my priority list. The Gavin will not change his mind, and will continiue on what he intended.

Besides that, my bitcoin 0.5.0 crashed twice in last days when computer was idling. This never happened even once with previous versions in last 9 months. I casually checked the crash reports and the adress pointers point to different random memory locations. This says much about the quality of 0.5.0 version.

The good news is that many people who use bitcoins for real purchases on silk road don't even run the software on they'r computers, they instead use web-based wallet services. I will not comeent about safety and anonimity of this practice on this topic, but this means that the change of interface to appeal to noobs are getting less important to success of Bitcoin. Bitcoin already are success!

MysteryMiner (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 04, 2011, 11:32:11 PM

OK, here I got the quick, unpolished vision how 0.4.0 based client can be improved. Not so much changes, because it's already good as it is now.

changes:
1. The download of blockchain is displayed in statusbar. It's either progressimeter or percent counted.
2. Current bandwidth utilization
3. New Advanced menu with items such as "Manually Add Peer..." and "Rescan Blockchain" and other command-line only switches.

I tried to imagine and visualize how to improve the Qt version. But I figured out that it's like trying to make elephant fly like a colibri bird. It will never happen, the Qt version UI is so unergonomic and the Qt is not meant with MS windows UI in mind. So I see no way to make the current Bitcoin version as usable as it was in 0.4.0

sadpandatech

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 05, 2011, 12:00:21 AM

3. New Advanced menu with items such as "Manually Add Peer..." and "Rescan Blockchain" and other command-line only switches.

YES!  I assume the peer menu would allow to view existing ones so we could add or remove. maybe also set a priority order as well.  Rescan within client, hell yeah!

And for the love of all that is holy, make it so when we double click a trasnaction in the list it actually gives some useful info. Like, what friggin addy it was sent to and from!

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack
fornit

Activity: 991
Merit: 1008

View Profile
December 05, 2011, 05:09:55 PM

changes:
1. The download of blockchain is displayed in statusbar. It's either progressimeter or percent counted.
2. Current bandwidth utilization

I tried to imagine and visualize how to improve the Qt version. But I figured out that it's like trying to make elephant fly like a colibri bird. It will never happen, the Qt version UI is so unergonomic and the Qt is not meant with MS windows UI in mind. So I see no way to make the current Bitcoin version as usable as it was in 0.4.0

1 and 2 are good ideas, but i think a graphical solution is still better. or both with a switch in the options menu. for most users, the numbers are just a little bit too much information. they just want to know if the connection is good and the blockchain is up to date. or not. rescan blockchain should also be in the avaible somewhere, alongside an explanation when it might help.

yeah well, whats the alternative? sticking to wxwidgets gui obviously nobody wants to maintain doesnt seem like a good plan either.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: