Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 05:34:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Avalon 1246 Amp draw  (Read 102 times)
Canamprayer (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 23, 2021, 02:43:04 PM

I have 10 machines, with a partner and the other day we burnt up some lines coming in from the grid.   When my electrician checked the amp draw on each hot line it was 15 amps.  That means the machine was using 30, which is way over their specs.    Do you guys but regulaotors in or just run each machine on its own 20 amp breaker.  Thanks for any feed back

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
DaveF
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 6259

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2021, 03:06:35 PM

If you are not using something that can give a lot more amps and putting them through a nice PDU then use every machine should have is own 20 amp breaker.
It also makes diagnostics a bit easier. If something keeps tripping a breaker you know which unit it is.
Also, if something does blow it will probably not take out other equipment since the breaker should pop.

IMO you still should have some other power conditioning or protection for each unit too.

-Dave

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Canamprayer (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 23, 2021, 07:34:17 PM

Thanks for the response Dave.  I assume that the voltage dropped off on one of the lines and that is why the machine took in so many Amps.  I am in Mexico and consistent anything is impossible.   But if I had 2 machines on a 40 amp breaker it would basically be the same protection, ( I am asking you, my english is not perfect)   Could you also explain what other protection I could have.   Much appreciated
DaveF
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 6259

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2021, 10:00:39 PM

In an ideal money is no object world, a few of these:
https://www.raritan.com/product-selector/pdu-detail/px3-5941v-v2
So you can monitor the power and have a bit of surge protection.

Not knowing how your facility is setup, and since you say your power is not 100% I would at least get some sort of power conditioner.
You might wind up saving one of your miners or at least a power supply.
But.....a good power conditioner is not cheap either they can easily cost as much as the miner.

-Dave

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
sushsdawg

Activity: 54
Merit: 3

View Profile
November 27, 2021, 10:31:44 PM

Last week I had an electrician install 2x 60 Amp breakers.  Each breaker then serves 3 outlets, total of 6 outlets.  I have the 1246's and a KD5 hooked up to them with no issues so far.
So i think 20amp per box should suffice.  May be not start/reboot them all at once.
mikeywith
Legendary

Activity: 2226
Merit: 6367

be constructive or S.T.F.U

View Profile
November 28, 2021, 05:29:10 AM

I have 10 machines, with a partner and the other day we burnt up some lines coming in from the grid.   When my electrician checked the amp draw on each hot line it was 15 amps.  That means the machine was using 30, which is way over their specs.    Do you guys but regulaotors in or just run each machine on its own 20 amp breaker.  Thanks for any feed back

Miners and almost everything that works with electricity is rated at W and not amps unless the voltage is specified then it's wrong to use these amps readings, the Avalon 1246 draws 3420W -5%~+8%, so at worst it's 3,700w, there is no way it would use 30 amps unless the voltage is 123V, but then you said your guy measured it which mean you are suggesting that miner was indeed running at 123V which isn't possible as the PSU would shut down at that voltage.

What is the voltage you are using on these gears anyway?

Finally and most importantly, if you managed to burn the line coming from the grid, it's likely because your main breaker size is way too large, it should be smaller than what the wire can handle so that it will trip before the wire gets too hot regardless of the voltage, also if the ends aren't tight enough that is just a recipe for disaster.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████