Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:02:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 [87] 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin 100: Developed Specifically for Non-Profits  (Read 262671 times)
edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
November 26, 2013, 07:50:09 PM

A friend just asked me if "Jewish Community Federation of San Francisco" qualifies.  He insisted it is not religious.
www.jewishfed.org/

Let's see what their site has:

Donor choice

For the first time in Federation history, donors will have the opportunity to designate their giving by selecting one or more of four funds for a portion of their gift. How it Works

The four funds are:
Community Core Fund: Ensuring a thriving community by caring for the vulnerable, promoting Jewish culture, and strengthening education and identity.
Israel and Global Fund: Strengthening Israel by advancing social justice and equal opportunity; and providing for Jews in need worldwide.
Bay Area Initiatives Fund: Addressing current community-wide challenges through targeted initiatives.
Innovation Fund: Seed-funding innovative projects in emerging and traditional Jewish organizations.
I don't understand if you are saying this qualifies or not because I am not clear on whether the word "Jew" is religious.

Being Jewish doesn't necessarily mean being religious. There is often a fine line between preserving Jewish cultural heritage and promoting the Jewish religion since the two have been intertwined for thousands of years.

Personally, I'd like to see some ambivalence in their wording cleared up; does "providing for Jews in need worldwide" mean providing food, shelter, and safety or does it mean providing copies of the Torah and bringing in rabbis to make sure their food is kosher? Does "strengthening education" mean helping children find their way to school with the proper tools or does it mean posting the ten commandments in classrooms? Do "innovative projects" include creative methods for circumventing restrictions due to observing Shabbat in order to continue functioning in our increasingly technologically driven society?

Still around.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
November 27, 2013, 03:00:05 PM

Another one from Frankie:

Dear Emmy,

Please meet my friend Dmitry. We met in business school and he now runs a foundation that is looking for worthy nonprofits to donate to. He just donated $1,000 each to my friend Jessie's IBME and my friend Amy's Primate Education Network. I think he will really appreciate the mission of Bread for the City.

Dmitry's foundation is called BitCoin100. They arose out of the generosity of a few early adopters of an amazing currency called BitCoins (if you haven't heard of them, this might help) to promote the value of the currency for nonprofits: when donors make their donations in BitCoins, the recipient nonprofit keeps 100% (hence the name). None of the funds are lost to credit card or processing fees.

BitCoin100 donates $1,000 to selected nonprofits who agree to accept the currency on their donation page. You will be immediately able to convert the donation into USD. It doesn't take much work to get it set up, but I know the money would make a valuable difference at Bread for the City.

@Dmitry, Emmy is a smart, passionate friend of mine and former coworker of my wife Jess. She works as a fundraiser for a wonderful nonprofit in DC: Bread for the City is more than a soup kitchen, providing comprehensive services including medical care and legal services for DC's poor. Jess and I have been donating for years. They could do a lot of good with a $1,000 donation.

Good luck!

At this point I just reply to these, telling them a bit about what we do and asking them to let me know if they are interested, and move the e-mails into my Bitcoin100 folder. If they reply, things go forward. If they don't bother, I don't bother to pursue them either.

http://www.breadforthecity.org/ looks fine, Rassah.

A friend just asked me if "Jewish Community Federation of San Francisco" qualifies.  He insisted it is not religious.
www.jewishfed.org/

Let's see what their site has:

Donor choice

For the first time in Federation history, donors will have the opportunity to designate their giving by selecting one or more of four funds for a portion of their gift. How it Works

The four funds are:
Community Core Fund: Ensuring a thriving community by caring for the vulnerable, promoting Jewish culture, and strengthening education and identity.
Israel and Global Fund: Strengthening Israel by advancing social justice and equal opportunity; and providing for Jews in need worldwide.
Bay Area Initiatives Fund: Addressing current community-wide challenges through targeted initiatives.
Innovation Fund: Seed-funding innovative projects in emerging and traditional Jewish organizations.
I don't understand if you are saying this qualifies or not because I am not clear on whether the word "Jew" is religious.

Being Jewish doesn't necessarily mean being religious. There is often a fine line between preserving Jewish cultural heritage and promoting the Jewish religion since the two have been intertwined for thousands of years.

Personally, I'd like to see some ambivalence in their wording cleared up; does "providing for Jews in need worldwide" mean providing food, shelter, and safety or does it mean providing copies of the Torah and bringing in rabbis to make sure their food is kosher? Does "strengthening education" mean helping children find their way to school with the proper tools or does it mean posting the ten commandments in classrooms? Do "innovative projects" include creative methods for circumventing restrictions due to observing Shabbat in order to continue functioning in our increasingly technologically driven society?

Thanks for the input, edd.

Bruno Kucinskas
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2013, 01:49:37 PM

Hi. If you would like us to hold and manage your pledge, and limit it to some specific amount in USD per specific charity, I can do that, but I can't hold it in anything other than BTC. I can just hold it in a separate bitcoin address to make it easier to track. You are free to ask for your money, or any portion of it, back at any time, if, for example, your $5k donation ends up being worth way more than combined $30k. The money I hold on behalf of Bitcoin100 are pledges in my care, not donations we claim ownership to as soon as they hit our address.
I'm fine if you prefer holding the donation in BTCs so long as you distribute it equally among the next 50 Bitcoin-100 donations.
For example, if I send you for instance 6.05 BTCs (current exchange rate at Bitstamp is ~826 USD/BTC), each of the next 50 charities should receive 0.121 BTC from this fund regardless of the going rate at the moment. Of course, if 0.121 BTC ends up being worth more than the 1000 USD target at some point, you can report the fund in excess of 1000 USD toward subsequence donations.

Can you please confirm the address where I should send the funds?

Address created specifically for you:

1freeqFvjmdcSFtZvwkqqLGS6Z3Qmwwur

Just as a reminder for public disclosure purposes, the list of BTC100 managed addresses are:

1BTC1oo1J3MEt5SFj74ZBcF2Mk97Aah4ac
1teukon65TktBqPs8Vn9ZPaU8Es8r1ktD
1gsanY2GmH1ZpD335xmCzrajszVGK1fjQ
1MemDea11r2FMTPXq2sgnRsq7azd9V4tK4
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2013, 02:13:59 PM

Hi. If you would like us to hold and manage your pledge, and limit it to some specific amount in USD per specific charity, I can do that, but I can't hold it in anything other than BTC. I can just hold it in a separate bitcoin address to make it easier to track. You are free to ask for your money, or any portion of it, back at any time, if, for example, your $5k donation ends up being worth way more than combined $30k. The money I hold on behalf of Bitcoin100 are pledges in my care, not donations we claim ownership to as soon as they hit our address.
I'm fine if you prefer holding the donation in BTCs so long as you distribute it equally among the next 50 Bitcoin-100 donations.
For example, if I send you for instance 6.05 BTCs (current exchange rate at Bitstamp is ~826 USD/BTC), each of the next 50 charities should receive 0.121 BTC from this fund regardless of the going rate at the moment. Of course, if 0.121 BTC ends up being worth more than the 1000 USD target at some point, you can report the fund in excess of 1000 USD toward subsequence donations.

Just as a reminder for public disclosure purposes, the list of BTC100 managed addresses are:

Thanks, Rassah. Hope your bed was warm last night.
gsan

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 02:45:48 PM

Hi Rassah, thanks for managing these!

Does it mean that I should top up my address whenever I can to stick to my pledge, or should I resume my donations through the standard vanity address? I have donated only 10 coins so far and have a long way to go. Smiley

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2013, 02:53:00 PM

Hi Rassah, thanks for managing these!

Does it mean that I should top up my address whenever I can to stick to my pledge, or should I resume my donations through the standard vanity address? I have donated only 10 coins so far and have a long way to go. Smiley

Thanks to the rise in the exchange rate, reviewing your initial pledge, unless you have deep pockets, you have a long way to go. I suggest contributing, or adding to the pool whatever you feel comfortable with and can afford, at whatever time frame. You generosity is truly appreciated, gsan.

Bruno Kucinskas
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2013, 03:52:45 AM

Agreed. We are not hurting for money. It is up to you which address you wish to donate to. I guess keeping it in your own gives you extra bragging rights about how much you yourself donated  Grin
gsan

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 11:37:12 AM

Thanks; then I'll brag here if I can't hold it inside. Wink Sent a coin to the pool for now.

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2013, 02:43:17 PM

Thanks; then I'll brag here if I can't hold it inside. Wink Sent a coin to the pool for now.

Hey, everybody, look what gsan did: https://blockchain.info/tx/6a899d8b3a74b66e03c4f0051fd13c8aa7d387a704ff6a53b325400cc3d8cf7d

He doesn't like to brag, so I did it for him.  Grin

I swear, I'm runnin' outta ways to express our appreciation here at Bitcoin 100. Sometimes 'thank yous' and 'appreciate' and 'you're so kind' simply doesn't cut the mustard, especially in times like this, so off to Google I go to copy and paste a clever 'thanks' expressing our feelings.

You score phenomenally high in the kind-o-meter. Seriously, I checked.

Bruno Kucinskas
qwk
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3542
Merit: 3411

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 03:05:19 PM

I'm not that familiar with your whole bitcoin 100 project, when I noticed, the thread for it was already too long to keep up with, so I'm not sure if you're interested in ideas after all. Grin
Just wanted to point you to a project that's got a lot of public awareness over here in Germany right now, since local Telco Deutsche Telekom featured it in their TV-ads recently.

I'm talking about The Tutu Project.

Right now, they accept donations by paypal only. I'd personally chip in a BTC if you could get them to accept Bitcoins as well, but I don't have the time to get in contact with them or anything, I already have too many projects going.
Well, maybe it's just a crazy idea and you probably get those a lot, but I just wanted to let you know Wink

Yeah, well, I'm gonna go build my own blockchain. With blackjack and hookers! In fact forget the blockchain.
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2013, 03:08:03 PM

People screwing up my vacation, too  Tongue

> Hi Rassah,
>
> The official name for my charity is DREAM OUT LOUD PRODUCTIONS (DOL) EIN 05-0581165 www.dolfilms.org we produce documentaries.
> After my last documentary Angels in the Dust (#2 on Netflix) I created a second charity to work under the DOL umbrella; called
> THE DO Ubuntu Orphan Bracelet Campaign www.orphanbracelet.org we would love to stop paying high fees to Network for Good and Paypal.
>
> Is it possible to become one of your sponsored charities?
>
> Your help would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Thank you,
> Louise

Hi,
I know of an NPO called Life Line Association that resides in Israel.
They are working on improving the quality of life and saving lives in Israel, mostly for people with rare diseases or complications looking for help to afford costly medical treatments.
A couple of friends of mine have a son with Canavan's disease, a genetic disease affecting the brain similarly to multiple sclerosis but starts in the womb and progressing much more quickly.
I'd like to help them and the NPO they're getting donations from to accept bitcoins.
I'm a developer so I can help them technically and I would like to donate about 0.5 BTC from my own wallet.
Thanks,
David K.
freequant

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 08:15:32 PM

Thanks Rassah! I was wondering what you meant when you said that you had to "work" at creating the address. Now I know Wink.

5 BTC sent (5700 USD at current exchange rate).
Tx id: 9ded8c2fac4a8f012c2911b6d34dc3d65cdef754e9290a19ade46a12c5697db8.
That's a bit more than agreed, but it will be easier to divide in 50 that way (0.1 BTC / charity).
Let me know once it's used up, and I will send you the second 5k installment.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 01, 2013, 06:39:18 AM

Thanks Rassah! I was wondering what you meant when you said that you had to "work" at creating the address. Now I know Wink.

5 BTC sent (5700 USD at current exchange rate).
Tx id: 9ded8c2fac4a8f012c2911b6d34dc3d65cdef754e9290a19ade46a12c5697db8.
That's a bit more than agreed, but it will be easier to divide in 50 that way (0.1 BTC / charity).
Let me know once it's used up, and I will send you the second 5k installment.

Ain't this special! I’m beginning to think you’re serious about this whole humanitarian thing. When it comes to making an impact, you rule.

On behalf of the entire Bitcoin 100 staff, thank you so kindly, freequant, for your great generosity.

Bruno Kucinskas (TMIBTCITW)
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2013, 03:16:27 PM

@Rassah. I haven't vetted the last NPO(s) you've linked due to the site going down and a tad busy here in Pensacola, FL. Should be able to take the little time needed to accomplish it tonight.

I need to head on back to Satochi Forest to make a batch of cucumber salad prior to digging up the six turkeys placed underground yesterday.

Bruno Kucinskas
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2013, 11:18:51 PM

I'm not that familiar with your whole bitcoin 100 project, when I noticed, the thread for it was already too long to keep up with, so I'm not sure if you're interested in ideas after all. Grin
Just wanted to point you to a project that's got a lot of public awareness over here in Germany right now, since local Telco Deutsche Telekom featured it in their TV-ads recently.

I'm talking about The Tutu Project.

Right now, they accept donations by paypal only. I'd personally chip in a BTC if you could get them to accept Bitcoins as well, but I don't have the time to get in contact with them or anything, I already have too many projects going.
Well, maybe it's just a crazy idea and you probably get those a lot, but I just wanted to let you know Wink

I was wondering what I should wear to the Inside Bitcoins (West) conference in LV. Now I know.

http://www.thetutuproject.com/about/

Through Linda’s personal battle, she has made it her goal to raise funds for women and their families that need financial support during their breast cancer journey. To help make her dream a reality, net proceeds from the sale of Ballerina will go directly to The Carey Foundation, a non-profit 501c3 organization that we established in 2012. There are so many expenses not covered by insurance, but what’s so great is that for every $1,000 raised we can make a significant difference to these women. We’ll be able to help with transportation to doctor appointments; wigs; lymphedema sleeves; childcare and counseling. To help distribute the funds we’ve partnered with CancerCare, a nationally run non-profit.

Looks like The Tutu Project is right up our alley, and looks like a fine candidate to receive a $1K USD endowment via bitcoins from Bitcoin 100. Send them an email, and get the ball a rollin'!

~TMIBTCITW
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2013, 11:40:47 PM

People screwing up my vacation, too  Tongue

> Hi Rassah,
>
> The official name for my charity is DREAM OUT LOUD PRODUCTIONS (DOL) EIN 05-0581165 www.dolfilms.org we produce documentaries.
> After my last documentary Angels in the Dust (#2 on Netflix) I created a second charity to work under the DOL umbrella; called
> THE DO Ubuntu Orphan Bracelet Campaign www.orphanbracelet.org we would love to stop paying high fees to Network for Good and Paypal.
>
> Is it possible to become one of your sponsored charities?
>
> Your help would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Thank you,
> Louise

Hi,
I know of an NPO called Life Line Association that resides in Israel.
They are working on improving the quality of life and saving lives in Israel, mostly for people with rare diseases or complications looking for help to afford costly medical treatments.
A couple of friends of mine have a son with Canavan's disease, a genetic disease affecting the brain similarly to multiple sclerosis but starts in the womb and progressing much more quickly.
I'd like to help them and the NPO they're getting donations from to accept bitcoins.
I'm a developer so I can help them technically and I would like to donate about 0.5 BTC from my own wallet.
Thanks,
David K.

Screwing up your vacation!!! I spent Thanksgiving eve on the ground at below zero temps, then dug a hole for the imu pit on Thanksgiving Day. Then had to repair my car, thus not finishing up the cooking till today. Then I'm on my way to LV. So, don't tell me your about your screwed up vacation plans, kittie.  Grin

Both www.dolfilms.org and www.orphanbracelet.org would work, but only one endowment per person. I would love to see both sites accept bitcoins, whether for donations or purchases, and sincerely hope they embed a Bitcoin donation option on one of the sites so that they can receive a $1K USD via bitcoins endowment from Bitcoin 100.

I know of an NPO called Life Line Association that resides in Israel.

We're going to need a link to a website from David for this one, Rassah. I'm at a lost as to which site it is.

~Bruno Kucinskas
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2013, 04:18:56 AM

More

Frankie
Dear Sally,

Please meet my friend Dmitry. We met in business school and he now runs a foundation that is looking for worthy nonprofits to donate to. He just donated $1,000 each to my friend Jessie's IBME and my friend Amy's Primate Education Network. I think he will really appreciate the mission of The Nexus Fund.

Dmitry's foundation is called BitCoin100. They arose out of the generosity of a few early BitCoin adopters to promote the value of the currency for nonprofits: when donors make their donations in BitCoins, the recipient nonprofit keeps 100% (hence the name). None of the funds are lost to credit card or processing fees.

BitCoin100 donates $1,000 to selected nonprofits who agree to accept the currency on their donation page. It doesn't take much work to get it set up, but I know the money could do a lot of good helping your grantees fight atrocities.

@Dmitry, Sally is a friend of mine who works at the same coworking space as I do. She is smart and friendly and works hard to make sure organizations on the ground in Africa are able to prevent and respond to mass atrocities in the most effective way. A $1,000 donation would be a big help with their projects.

Good luck!

I asked for a description of what it is they actually do, since the website just has vague goals without specifics.
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2013, 04:41:46 AM

Looks like The Tutu Project is right up our alley, and looks like a fine candidate to receive a $1K USD endowment via bitcoins from Bitcoin 100. Send them an email, and get the ball a rollin'!

E-mail sent.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2013, 05:20:43 AM

More

Frankie
Dear Sally,

Please meet my friend Dmitry. We met in business school and he now runs a foundation that is looking for worthy nonprofits to donate to. He just donated $1,000 each to my friend Jessie's IBME and my friend Amy's Primate Education Network. I think he will really appreciate the mission of The Nexus Fund.

Dmitry's foundation is called BitCoin100. They arose out of the generosity of a few early BitCoin adopters to promote the value of the currency for nonprofits: when donors make their donations in BitCoins, the recipient nonprofit keeps 100% (hence the name). None of the funds are lost to credit card or processing fees.

BitCoin100 donates $1,000 to selected nonprofits who agree to accept the currency on their donation page. It doesn't take much work to get it set up, but I know the money could do a lot of good helping your grantees fight atrocities.

@Dmitry, Sally is a friend of mine who works at the same coworking space as I do. She is smart and friendly and works hard to make sure organizations on the ground in Africa are able to prevent and respond to mass atrocities in the most effective way. A $1,000 donation would be a big help with their projects.

Good luck!

I asked for a description of what it is they actually do, since the website just has vague goals without specifics.

Here, do some light reading while you're on vacation  Grin: http://ceas-serbia.org/root/images/2013_Global_Convening_To_End_Mass_Atrocities_Summary.pdf
LightRider
Legendary

Activity: 1500
Merit: 1021

I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2013, 05:50:06 AM

http://www.cyberfarmsystems.com is now actively soliciting Bitcoin donations. They are trying to feed the world through innovative use of technology. I have been asking then go accept Bitcoin for a long time and they've finally done it!

Bitcoin combines money, the wrongest thing in the world, with software, the easiest thing in the world to get wrong.
Visit www.thevenusproject.com and www.theZeitgeistMovement.com.
Pages: « 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 [87] 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 »
  Print  

Jump to: