Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 06:43:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they believe that the creator of this topic displays some red flags which make them high-risk. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 [106] 107 108 109 110 111 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin 100: Developed Specifically for Non-Profits  (Read 262665 times)
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2014, 12:34:09 AM

Hi Rassah,

Here's a short description of our charity:

Pastoralist Child Foundation's (http://www.pastoralist-child-foundation.org/) mission is to prevent harmful tribal practices in rural Kenya that prevent girls from achieving their full potentials.  Practices such as female genital mutilation (FGM/C) and forced marriages of young girls are still going on. There's a movement of young and old, working together to eradicate these age-old traditions and replace them with alternative rites of passage and access to education for marginalized girls.  We work in Samburu and Maasai Mara, Kenya.  We also provide educational sponsorships (scholarships) to pay for boarding school tuition, exam fees, uniforms, shoes, school supplies, backpacks, medical check-ups, sheets, blankets, pillows, personal toiletries and iron lock boxes for the girls we sponsor.  In addition, we provide community educational workshops on FGM, forced marriage, teen pregnancy, HIV/AIDS, health and sanitation.

We're a registered 501C3 nonprofit charity in the USA. We are saving lives and working to improve life outcomes in marginalized communities. The links to our website and social media are under my signature.

Thank you. We look forward to your response. We'd really like to start accepting Bitcoins and will follow your instructions.

Best regards,

Sayydah Garrett
Founder & President
Pastoralist Child Foundation, Inc.

Unfortunately, due to the info below, this, too, would have to be a no, with apologies.

~Bruno Kucinskas

http://who.godaddy.com/whoisstd.aspx?domain=pastoralist-child-foundation.org&prog_id=GoDaddy

Domain Name: PASTORALIST-CHILD-FOUNDATION.ORG
Registry Domain ID: D166741096-LROR
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.godaddy.com
Registrar URL: http://www.godaddy.com
Update Date: 2013-07-09 17:12:08
Creation Date: 2012-10-02 13:30:22
Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2014-10-02 13:30:22
Registrar: GoDaddy.com, LLC
Registrar IANA ID: 146
Registrar Abuse Contact Email: abuse@godaddy.com
Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: +1.480-624-2505
Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited
Domain Status: clientUpdateProhibited
Domain Status: clientRenewProhibited
Domain Status: clientDeleteProhibited
Registry Registrant ID: CR146893944
Registrant Name: Thomas Loloso
Registrant Organization: N/A
Registrant Street: BOX 55555
Registrant City: Nairobi
Registrant State/Province:
Registrant Postal Code: 00100
Registrant Country: Kenya
Registrant Phone: +254.254721333524
Registrant Phone Ext:
Registrant Fax:
Registrant Fax Ext:
Registrant Email: tomlolosoli@gmail.com
Registry Admin ID: CR146893945
Admin Name: James Waititu
Admin Organization: Mambo Microsystems Limited
Admin Street: BOX 36926
Admin City: Nairobi
Admin State/Province:
Admin Postal Code: 00200
Admin Country: Kenya
Admin Phone: +254.254721333524

https://www.facebook.com/mambo247/posts/10153857196175293?stream_ref=5

.... sorry I seam to be slow but where exactly is the problem? So the organisation that registered the other organisation already accepts bitcoin? How doss this go against any of our rules?

I got a follow-up from these people that said:

Our organization has NEVER accepted bitcoin...NEVER! We're a relatively new charity. Your info. Is wrong. Where do you get your info and who are the "people who have already been using bitcoin for a while?"  Look at our website...no bitcoin on there.

Sayydah Garrett
President
Pastoralist Child Foundation

It looks like one of the businesses that set it up was accepting bitcoin, but not the charity. I'm not sure how tight our restrictions are here. If an organization owns a business and accepts bitcoin, and also owns a charity that is not related to that business, is the charity just automatically excluded?
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2014, 12:37:20 AM

Also, regarding this

I came across this charity run by university students in NZ - 100Percent.org.nz

They provide a platform for students to sign up & offer tutoring services, with 100% of fees earned going out to the tutors' charity of choice.
The site retains none of the revenue, and hence is dependent on donations to fund their operations and ongoing developments.
Their Donations Page already has a Bitcoin address. Sounds like they are a good charity to support.

Seems legit to me. Added.

Thank you so much for adding 100Percent to the list of charities in Bitcoin100. We really appreciate it. I was just wondering if there was anything we needed to do in order to receive the Bitcoins?

Hi Crystal. I don't remember if I asked, but when did that site start accepting bitcoins?

we got a reply

Hi Crystal. Do you know when your charity started to accept bitcoins?

Yes, since the 1st of March when we launched our new web platform.

They started on March 1st, and asked for a donation on April 26th. I think that's a bit too long, since the point is to convince charities, not reward them...
adamandeve

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

@AltcoinAdam

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2014, 10:19:10 PM

this is a pretty cool initiative!!!

is the fund still alive?

edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2014, 10:33:02 PM

this is a pretty cool initiative!!!

is the fund still alive?

Yes, we're down to only 86.84467574 BTCWink

Still around.
No_2

Activity: 901
Merit: 1031

BTC: the beginning of stake-based public resources

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 01:30:34 PM
Last edit: August 04, 2014, 01:43:00 PM by No_2

Not sure if you've see this, but the Royal National Lifeboat Institution have just started taking bitcoin:

http://rnli.org/NewsCentre/Pages/RNLI-now-accepts-donations-in-digital-currency11.aspx
http://www.coindesk.com/uk-lifeboat-service-accept-bitcoin-donations/

I spoke to Luke Williams who's overseeing the bitcoin fundraising at RNLI.org and he'd not heard of Bitcoin 100. So I said I'd post to this thread to point you at them.

Can you guys take a look at the charity (it's big and well known in the UK) and possibly raise a donation:

https://rnli.org/howtosupportus/donatenow/Pages/bitcoin.aspx?utm_source=rnli-website-redirect&utm_medium=vanity-urls&utm_campaign=bitcoin

If you want his contact details please PM me direct and I can pass them on to you.
SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1077

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2014, 12:58:15 AM

I has been given the tip about this thread here. Since i wanted to fight free trade agreements like TTIP (with their democracy undermining arbitration courts and following problems for citizens) i searched a political movement that accepts bitcoins and fight TTIP. I found Lobbycontrol eV http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lobbycontrol which is a not so small NPO fighting lobbying.

I asked them to accept Bitcoins and at the end i helped them setting up a way to donate Bitcoins with bitpay.com. Then i donated a nice amount of coins.

Here is the original thread in german about it: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=574721.0;all

And here the link for donating bitcoins: https://www.lobbycontrol.de/unterstutzen/bitcoin-spenden/

Anyway... im not sure if the website matches this threads effort but it might be the case.

Thanks!

It is political but not in a way as its connected to a party. Its a movement that tries to lay open lobbying. For example companies that pay politicians or send lobbyist to have more influence on them than the normal people. I would say its a NPO that tries to help the normal people by fighting the influence of big money on political decisions because those decision too often hurt the normal people. Im not sure if the political character already is a stop-sign. At the end people that try to make things better for people often end up being somewhat political since trying to change politics is mostly better than only to fix the errors resulting from bad politics.

Good enough for me. $1000 sent (had to split into two transactions because they had a 500EUR limit)
https://blockchain.info/tx/a1802cbad799da47ff201584aa7bc19d5c49a65b6ad27dae48c5adc7fc3dee30
https://blockchain.info/tx/78d0deee344e1e2a557fce07aa1d089d5d36df26b3c09427f61eb9d3d40e631c

Great news. I already contacted the person in charge and he wrote he will send you an email to thank you. Smiley

Dear Rassah and all of Bitcoin 100,
I currently work for a non-profit organization called More Than A Game that focuses on using soccer to give refugee youth the opportunity to grow in character, leadership, and teamwork through soccer camps, tournaments, and leagues.

Looks like a classic charity. They seem to use football to first make competitions to collect money and second use football to better the life of refugees by having fun.

Does this mean you approve?

I only now saw that cbn named it the "christian ministry more than a game". Im not sure it that is a KO since it doesnt really look like religion is involved. Though still... religions donate nicely and most probably would do so for this project anyway too.

In case its not a ko:
The website seems to be registered since 2011 and the google search results look good so far. They have a project at bitcoinstarter https://bitcoinstarter.com/projects/671 and google shows indexed links from 2011 that match the urls and content from the actual website. I find mentioning of projects of them on cbn (christian broadcast network, seems to be a big news network). No wikientry so far and i dont find more official info about them. There are other things with that name fighting cancer or fund athletics but they seem differently.

It looks good to me that its not newly created and it seems to be a classic NPO to help kids in special. Only it runs under "christian" for some reason. Maybe because they get donations then from christian community.

They just sent a follow-up regarding the CBN thing:

Hey no worries, and I wasn't aware that they had. I know CBN is a Christian news agency, and since we had partnered with World Compassion (which is a Christian NGO) to help with refugee relief in Iraq, CBN probably put us together for their newspiece. Several of our coaches and staff are Christians, but we also have Muslim coaches that coach for us.

Since I didn't see anything non-secular on their website I'm going to say that the are probably ok, and if no one objects for a few days, will send them the donation.

Sounds fine to me. That was the NPO that looked like they deserve a donation most to me. So when the religious thing is out of the way then donation can flow.

Also, regarding this

They provide a platform for students to sign up & offer tutoring services, with 100% of fees earned going out to the tutors' charity of choice.
The site retains none of the revenue, and hence is dependent on donations to fund their operations and ongoing developments.
Their Donations Page already has a Bitcoin address. Sounds like they are a good charity to support.

Seems legit to me. Added.

Thank you so much for adding 100Percent to the list of charities in Bitcoin100. We really appreciate it. I was just wondering if there was anything we needed to do in order to receive the Bitcoins?

Hi Crystal. I don't remember if I asked, but when did that site start accepting bitcoins?

we got a reply

They started on March 1st, and asked for a donation on April 26th. I think that's a bit too long, since the point is to convince charities, not reward them...

Sounds strict. Its possible that they took some time to deal with something. 2 months shouldnt kill that chance, though thats only my personal thought.

And i wonder how many NPOs that received a donation only created the bitcoin acception possibility because of bitcoin100. It sounds like most sites were found and not convinced by bitcoin100 shortly before, though i might have gotten a wrong impression from the introduction posts of the NPOs.

On top, i believe most NPOs will add the donation possibility silently and see how it goes before they make a press release or something like that. So i wouldnt wonder when many sites accept bitcoins since some time but only later they make it known more publicly.

Hi Rassah,

Thanks so much for replying to my tweet.

Marijuana Majority is an officially registered 501(c)(3) public education organization in the U.S. that seeks to inform the public and policymakers about the diverse and growing group of prominent voices speaking out about the consequences of marijuana prohibition laws. From the racially disproportionate impact of the enforcement of these laws, to the distraction of police officers from stopping violent crimes, to the waste of taxpayer resources, to the enrichment of gangs and cartels that control the black market, there are many reasons that diverse voices from across the political spectrum are speaking up for change. While we seek to highlight this growing chorus for reform and educate the public that this issue is becoming more and more mainstream, we are strictly not a political organization. That is, we do not endorse or oppose candidates for elected office. We do not engage in any level of politicking; our work falls squarely within IRS rules for nonprofit public education organizations.

We decided to start accepting BTC donations just this past week after 1) finding out about Bitcoin100's generous offer and 2) being encouraged to do so by many would-be donors on reddit.

Please let me know if you'd like to see documentation of our 501(c)(3) status or if there are any questions about our work that I can answer for you.

Thanks again,
Tom

This was sent to me 10 days ago (took a wile for me to get to), and looks fine to me. Can someone please verify that they are ok?

I dont find their bitcoin donation button. Manually by mail?

Looks like an old site and looks legit judging from the newssites that mention them. They simply want to legalize weed.

Hi  Dmitry,

I am the founder of a brand new nonprofit, Intsikelelo, that helps orphans and vulnerable children in South Africa.  Our launch this week was very exciting, as a video we made to promote the launch ended up going viral on the internet.  After many suggestions on reddit that we accept bitcoin donations, we made an account with BitPay and are now set up to accept bitcoin donations.  I've heard that your organization could help us out in various ways, which is really exciting for us!  We don't know very much about bitcoin but are excited to learn more.

Please let me know more about your organization and how we can work together.  Our website is www.intsikelelo.org, and our BitPay button is located on our donation page at www.intsikelelo.org/donate .  The viral video I mentioned is on our website or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4_2gbx2Kxg if you have any interest!

Thanks,
Chris Grava
Intsikelelo

They are a year old, and also seem fine, but I'd like a second opinion too please.

They are mentioned a lot of times on websites so i think they are legit. Too hard to fake.

Hi Rassah.

I used to serve on the Board of Directors of the Northern California
DX Foundation (www.ncdxf.org).  This is a U.S.-based 501(c)(3) charity
that promotes international scientific expeditions and education
through amateur radio.

I've been working on trying to convince NCDXF to accept bitcoin
donations, and I think I'm close.  If there's a chance they'd be
eligible for a $1000 donation from Bitcoin 100, that might just be the
last little nudge I'd need to get them to start accepting bitcoin
donations.

Please take a quick look at the NCDXF web site and see if you think
the organization might be a candidate for a Bitcoin 100 grant.  If so,
let me know the process, and I will put the idea back in front of the
current Board of Directors.

Regards,

Tim Totten

Quick glance at this and they also look ok, I guess. Maybe they can help set up some radios to broadcast bitcoin blocks around the world Smiley

They look legit to me.

Hello Rassah,

I looked through some forums on r/Bitcoin and saw that your organization provides some funding to secular and non-political charities and organization. [Last week] I helped a local charity set up a Bitcoin address and donation option and was wondering if their organization meets any other qualifications for funding from your organization.

Here is the website to our local charity/not-for-profit:
http://familyenrichment.ca/index.php/en/page/home

Family Enrichment Counselling Services Inc. is a secular and non-political charity that specifies in mental health services and education for the local community. We provide rate adjusted counselling for those who cannot afford mental health services, and we provide free counselling for those who have been a victim of violence in the family.

I was also wondering if it's possible to have our website added onto yours.

Regardless of your answer, I'd like to extend a thank you for supporting charities in the way you're doing. It's very encouraging to see people band together without a central authority.

Thank you,
Sherry

And their follow-up:
The rates are adjusted based on the financial situation of the client. Some of the fees are strictly for a psycholigist or mediation services, but our primary interest is affordable counselling for people in need.

My apologies. I do not hold any executive title in the organization so my answers may not be in depth, but my understanding is that fees are collected to ensure that the therapists on staff are paid and that the rent for the offices are paid. Any additional revenue goes back to subsidizing clients for mental health services in the case that they cannot afford counselling. We service many single mothers and clients with trauma that have vulnerable living and financial situations. In addition, extra funds are used to create affordable and often free group therapy programs.

As for our charity work, I know that we are registered. I believe our free educational and therapeutic programs for the community enable this title. We also collaborate and help other charities when we see they need a boost by setting up events and promotion. I can acquire additional details for you if you want specifics of exactly what distinguishes us as a charity.

I'm kind of undecided on this one...

Me too. Its a bit strange speaking of NPO and then presenting such prices. I checked google results and it seems this organisation is nowhere seen as a normal business. Only as a charity. So think the info he gave are correct and that the fees are only additional services that help to fund the other activities.

Good morning,

My name is Kirsten Tynan, and I am executive director of the Fully Informed Jury Association, a 501c3, non-profit, educational organization dedicated to fully informing everyone of jurors' right and authority to judge the law as well as the facts in cases before them, and to conscientiously acquit through jury nullification when a just verdict requires it.

I have been looking into setting FIJA up to accept Bitcoin, and one area I have not yet figured out is what we need to do for Bitcoin donors to fulfill legal requirements for some kind of receipt for their tax-deductible donation. Do you have any guidance on this? I browsed the Bitcoin100 website a bit, but didn't find anything on this. I tried to send you a message through the BitcoinTalk forum, but that is not working for me at the moment so I hope it is okay to try and reach you by e-mail.

Thank you!

Kirsten C. Tynan
Fully Informed Jury Association
http://www.FIJA.org

and their follow-up a week ago, after they contacted me earlier in the month:

Looks like we are now verified sufficiently to accept $1000 per day in Bitcoin, so I think we are good to go!

Our mission is to educate everyone that jurors have the right and responsibility to conscientiously acquit defendants through jury nullification when a just verdict requires it. Jurors may wish to exercise this authority when they believe a law is inherently unjust or unjustly applied, when they believe a punishment is unjustly harsh compared to the severity of the offense committed, etc.

In addition to providing a new avenue for donors to help support FIJA, we look forward to being listed as a Bitcoin-accepting charity because it opens up opportunities for us to start conversations with new communities who I think would potentially benefit by access to jurors who are fully informed of and willing to exercise their traditional, legal authority to vote Not Guilty. There is a great need right now for jurors to stand in peaceful defense of harmless people targeted by government for prosecution for political and other malicious reasons.

Thank you so much for this opportunity!

Kirsten

These guys have been around for a while! Looks good to me, but, again, just need a second opinion.

Wow. Prominent Bitcoin Button. They have their own wikipeadia article so i think they are a NPO and they specialize in educating Jury members about their rights. I wonder why one would need money for that since the website could do it on its own but they seem to do some sort of public service.

Jul 16, 2014

Hi Rassah,

Yes we are a non-political, secular charity with over 22 years of Serving the homeless population of the Greater Los Angeles area with Food, Housing, Clothing, Child care services, case management, Job placement and much more.

Apologies for the broken link, You can access our site at: http://www.newimageshelter.org.

Let me know if you have any further questions. 

Thanks so much for what you do and for taking the time to respond to us. 

Looking forward to speaking further with you soon!

These guys integrated their bitcoin donation option shortly after contacting me (in May >.< I am soooo behind), so still qualify from the "you have already been receiving bitcoin" point. Please check them on all other aspects.

Looks legit to me and they are mentioned through so many ways that i cant imagine faking it with a useful amount of work. I didnt find something suspicious.

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
FIJA

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2014, 05:41:50 AM

Kirsten Tynan of the Fully Informed Jury Association here.

Since the question came up, I thought I'd give you an idea of what we do to educate people about jurors' rights other than maintain a website:
-give public presentations on jurors' rights and responsibilities and speak at conferences (for example, we hosted a community session at and spoke on the first jury nullification panel at last year's Drug Policy Reform Conference)
-host information tables at community events across the country
-do sidewalk outreach near courthouses, delivering informational brochures to all who pass by, some of whom are jurors
-provide training to volunteers to be able to safely and effectively conduct courthouse and other outreach activities
-send anyone who requests one a free Jury Power Information Kit with a variety of FIJA literature (also available online, but we get a lot of calls to the toll-free number from retired folks who are not as plugged into the internet)
-provide printed materials, banners, posters, etc. for events such as Jury Rights Day on 5 September each year and other events around the country
-research, write, and publish educational materials on jury issues including brochures, essays, and soon ebooks
-research and document the history of jury nullification, including specific jury nullification cases and their effect on the course of history
-write guest editorials, issue press releases on timely issues, give interviews to the media, serve as fact checkers for the media, and provide prop kits for television shows and movies
-occasionally lend our name to amicus briefs when matters of the jury are at issue

Some of the upcoming projects we would like to be able to fund include:
-working with an independent hiphop artist to deliver our educational message in a more popular format
-develop special materials and programs in commemoration of the 800th anniversary of the Magna Carta, a key document in jury history, coming up in 2015
-long-term campaigns in Washington state, Boston, New York, New Jersey and other locations
-researching and publishing scholarship on various indicators of jury health in the 50 states and the federal courts (e.g. when you are guaranteed a jury trial, jury size, number of jurors required to convict, jury rules in death penalty cases, and so on)

That's not an exhaustive list, of course, but I think it does give you an idea that what we do is very proactive and does cost money. It's not a simple matter of passively maintaining a website. :-)

While we do not advocate for or against any case in progress (in part, to protect our volunteers from false accusations of jury tampering, which our educational activities are not), we do target our sidewalk outreach efforts to do general educational outreach in timely locations. Some of you may be interested in helping us get a sidewalk courthouse outreach effort going at the Southern District Court of New York, which may ring a bell with you. If this particular location piques your interest, please contact me! I am VERY interested in organizing in this particular location. This is quite possibly the safest courthouse in the country to do sidewalk outreach. A couple of years ago, an activist handing out FIJA literature won a court ruling against incorrect charges of jury tampering, thereby specifically affirming our First Amendment right to do our work in this very location. We have the ruling up on our website here:
http://fija.org/docs/Judge_Wood_opinion_Heicklen.pdf

We are, indeed, a 501c3 non-profit organization. We were founded in 1989, and I believe we got our non-profit status in 1992 or thereabouts. Our EIN is 81-0461842.

If there are any other questions I can answer about our organization, I would be happy to do so. Thank you for your consideration!
jjc326

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 02:41:41 PM

Kirsten Tynan of the Fully Informed Jury Association here.

Since the question came up, I thought I'd give you an idea of what we do to educate people about jurors' rights other than maintain a website:
-give public presentations on jurors' rights and responsibilities and speak at conferences (for example, we hosted a community session at and spoke on the first jury nullification panel at last year's Drug Policy Reform Conference)
-host information tables at community events across the country
-do sidewalk outreach near courthouses, delivering informational brochures to all who pass by, some of whom are jurors
-provide training to volunteers to be able to safely and effectively conduct courthouse and other outreach activities
-send anyone who requests one a free Jury Power Information Kit with a variety of FIJA literature (also available online, but we get a lot of calls to the toll-free number from retired folks who are not as plugged into the internet)
-provide printed materials, banners, posters, etc. for events such as Jury Rights Day on 5 September each year and other events around the country
-research, write, and publish educational materials on jury issues including brochures, essays, and soon ebooks
-research and document the history of jury nullification, including specific jury nullification cases and their effect on the course of history
-write guest editorials, issue press releases on timely issues, give interviews to the media, serve as fact checkers for the media, and provide prop kits for television shows and movies
-occasionally lend our name to amicus briefs when matters of the jury are at issue

Some of the upcoming projects we would like to be able to fund include:
-working with an independent hiphop artist to deliver our educational message in a more popular format
-develop special materials and programs in commemoration of the 800th anniversary of the Magna Carta, a key document in jury history, coming up in 2015
-long-term campaigns in Washington state, Boston, New York, New Jersey and other locations
-researching and publishing scholarship on various indicators of jury health in the 50 states and the federal courts (e.g. when you are guaranteed a jury trial, jury size, number of jurors required to convict, jury rules in death penalty cases, and so on)

That's not an exhaustive list, of course, but I think it does give you an idea that what we do is very proactive and does cost money. It's not a simple matter of passively maintaining a website. :-)

While we do not advocate for or against any case in progress (in part, to protect our volunteers from false accusations of jury tampering, which our educational activities are not), we do target our sidewalk outreach efforts to do general educational outreach in timely locations. Some of you may be interested in helping us get a sidewalk courthouse outreach effort going at the Southern District Court of New York, which may ring a bell with you. If this particular location piques your interest, please contact me! I am VERY interested in organizing in this particular location. This is quite possibly the safest courthouse in the country to do sidewalk outreach. A couple of years ago, an activist handing out FIJA literature won a court ruling against incorrect charges of jury tampering, thereby specifically affirming our First Amendment right to do our work in this very location. We have the ruling up on our website here:
http://fija.org/docs/Judge_Wood_opinion_Heicklen.pdf

We are, indeed, a 501c3 non-profit organization. We were founded in 1989, and I believe we got our non-profit status in 1992 or thereabouts. Our EIN is 81-0461842.

If there are any other questions I can answer about our organization, I would be happy to do so. Thank you for your consideration!

Interesting charity here.  I'm a lawyer and never heard of this jury education.  I kind of am interested in what you try to teach jurors.  I think it must be hard because people aren't notified that they'll be on a jury until almost the last minute.

Also check out Massachusetts, it's interesting, I know we just had a new law passed where lawyers can ask jurors individually questions before they are seated on a jury.
edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2014, 12:15:36 PM

I've updated the site with organizations funded so far.

From now on, I'll be adding all BTC accepting non-profits to the site even if they don't qualify for funding.

Those that do receive BTC from Bitcoin100 can be identified by this: (The image will link to the transaction at blockchain.info.) I'm holding off on those still under consideration to avoid confusion.

I've also created a thread here for announcing all BTC accepting non-profits, including religious and politically motivated.

Still around.
FIJA

Activity: 4

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2014, 02:38:05 PM

Yes, it can be tough, but I think we're gaining some momentum. We have seen some high profile coverage of jury nullification, the issue, as well as jury nullification cases in the national media in recent years.

It's one thing to hand a juror a brochure as they walk into a courthouse and expect them to act on it if appropriate when they serve on a jury that week. That actually does have some success. I have a picture of jurors lined up outside the Hall of Justice in San Diego reading FIJA literature while they wait to get inside the very same week that a medical marijuana case had a hung jury or acquittal (I can't recall which off the top of my head) AND Jeff Olson was acquitted of thirteen charges of so-called 'vandalism' for chalking anti-Bank of America messages on a public sidewalk outside of a Bank of America in a town that has at least one city-sanctioned chalk are festival.

But our larger goal is to reintegrate knowledge of jurors' right to conscientiously acquit back into our culture. It used to be just general common knowledge that jurors could do this, somewhat along the lines of how we all know we could one day be called for jury duty in today's culture. That was actually part of the basis for a Supreme Court ruling that began chipping away at this cultural knowledge. In the 1895 case of Sparf v. United States, the Supreme Court ruled that judges were not required to inform jurors about their right to conscientiously acquit because supposedly it was common knowledge. Since then more court cases have chipped away further so that we are now to the point where judges are allowed not only not to inform jurors, but if they outright MISINFORM jurors, even as far as telling them there is no such thing as jury nullification or instructing them that if they believe the law was broken beyond a reasonable doubt that they 'must' convict, this has been ruled to be factually incorrect but that it constitutes insufficiently egregious error as to warrant an appeal. With this kind of misinformation quickly becoming the standard in jury instructions, the only way most jurors will have any idea about their option to conscientiously acquit is if they learn about it before they get to the courthouse. And the most likely way they will feel confident about using it, contrary to a judge's instructions, is if they have had more than just a brief encounter, but rather are hearing about regularly in the public discourse.

In short, we teach jurors that:
-The purpose of the law is to uphold justice. Justice is not meant to be violated for the sake of upholding the law.
-When the law and justice are in conflict, jurors can and should set aside the law if necessary to deliver a just verdict.
-Jurors are not required to check their consciences at the courthouse door. They can and should consult their consciences in deliberating and deciding a just verdict.
-Jurors cannot be punished for their verdicts.
-Conscientious acquittal is a peaceful defense against government corruption and malicious prosecution. It is the people's pardon.

Thank you for the information on Massachusetts. I will check it out.

-Kirsten

Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2014, 02:57:15 PM

The non-profit I was talking about is
rockzipfel: http://www.rockzipfel-leipzig.de/ . It's definitely
non-religious and non-political. The idea is rather unique: They make
it possible for parents to stay close to their small children while
working and foster community at the same time. You go there and find
everything you need in an office and your kids get looked after by
volunteers from all over the world. I have been going there with my
little daughter for about half a year now. In fact I am working there
now

They have been featured in quite a lot of national media and won
family friendlyness prizes and EU funding. They are a tax-deductible
common-good non-profit in Germany and $1000 would make quite an impact
there. Do you think they would be eligible?

I have spoken to them yesterday and they would be open to accepting
bitcoin.

Hope to hear from you soon,

Stefan
SebastianJu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2014, 03:46:15 PM

now

bitcoin.

Stefan

They seem to be a legit non profit organization and are mentioned in a big magazine. The workers there work for free though there is a monthly fee for it. The magazine writes its still way cheaper than a kindergarten or a childminder. I think its true that they dont earn money and the fee most probably is only for covering costs like rent of the flat, internet and so on.

Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2014, 05:50:55 PM

I only now saw that cbn named it the "christian ministry more than a game". Im not sure it that is a KO since it doesnt really look like religion is involved. Though still... religions donate nicely and most probably would do so for this project anyway too.

In case its not a ko:
The website seems to be registered since 2011 and the google search results look good so far. They have a project at bitcoinstarter https://bitcoinstarter.com/projects/671 and google shows indexed links from 2011 that match the urls and content from the actual website. I find mentioning of projects of them on cbn (christian broadcast network, seems to be a big news network). No wikientry so far and i dont find more official info about them. There are other things with that name fighting cancer or fund athletics but they seem differently.

It looks good to me that its not newly created and it seems to be a classic NPO to help kids in special. Only it runs under "christian" for some reason. Maybe because they get donations then from christian community.

They just sent a follow-up regarding the CBN thing:

Hey no worries, and I wasn't aware that they had. I know CBN is a Christian news agency, and since we had partnered with World Compassion (which is a Christian NGO) to help with refugee relief in Iraq, CBN probably put us together for their newspiece. Several of our coaches and staff are Christians, but we also have Muslim coaches that coach for us.

Since I didn't see anything non-secular on their website I'm going to say that the are probably ok, and if no one objects for a few days, will send them the donation.

Sounds fine to me. That was the NPO that looked like they deserve a donation most to me. So when the religious thing is out of the way then donation can flow.

Since they checked out (CBN was likely bragging about how many other christian chrities are out there), donation has been sent: https://blockchain.info/tx/3a25fe198e330b86f2772351dbd0503e4517570dd68a31da5b63cb6fc54e5537

Also, regarding this

we got a reply

Sounds strict. Its possible that they took some time to deal with something. 2 months shouldnt kill that chance, though thats only my personal thought.

And i wonder how many NPOs that received a donation only created the bitcoin acception possibility because of bitcoin100. It sounds like most sites were found and not convinced by bitcoin100 shortly before, though i might have gotten a wrong impression from the introduction posts of the NPOs.

Most sites were actually convinced to get BTC100 donations first. If a site has simply been accepting it already, they aren't technically qualified.

On top, i believe most NPOs will add the donation possibility silently and see how it goes before they make a press release or something like that. So i wouldnt wonder when many sites accept bitcoins since some time but only later they make it known more publicly.

Agreed, and I'm going to let this one slide, just because I have been so backlogged on going through these that some have probably added BTC donation options and have been waiting for my reply for weeks. Donation sent: https://blockchain.info/tx/9305dac5d31a23a659c82439b7ce291d6d8d53823c39ae447d8ef1043247c0b0

Hi Rassah,

Thanks so much for replying to my tweet.

Marijuana Majority is an officially registered 501(c)(3) public education organization in the U.S. that seeks to inform the public and policymakers about the diverse and growing group of prominent voices speaking out about the consequences of marijuana prohibition laws. From the racially disproportionate impact of the enforcement of these laws, to the distraction of police officers from stopping violent crimes, to the waste of taxpayer resources, to the enrichment of gangs and cartels that control the black market, there are many reasons that diverse voices from across the political spectrum are speaking up for change. While we seek to highlight this growing chorus for reform and educate the public that this issue is becoming more and more mainstream, we are strictly not a political organization. That is, we do not endorse or oppose candidates for elected office. We do not engage in any level of politicking; our work falls squarely within IRS rules for nonprofit public education organizations.

We decided to start accepting BTC donations just this past week after 1) finding out about Bitcoin100's generous offer and 2) being encouraged to do so by many would-be donors on reddit.

Please let me know if you'd like to see documentation of our 501(c)(3) status or if there are any questions about our work that I can answer for you.

Thanks again,
Tom

I dont find their bitcoin donation button. Manually by mail?

Looks like an old site and looks legit judging from the newssites that mention them. They simply want to legalize weed.

If you go to their donation page, there is text about them accepting Bitcoin, which leads to BitPay. Since they are ok, donation sent: https://blockchain.info/tx/79018bb43818a96e43c7a6759b39e7bd083a1d43f08f0b7e0e87c48084049f83

Hi  Dmitry,

I am the founder of a brand new nonprofit, Intsikelelo, that helps orphans and vulnerable children in South Africa.  Our launch this week was very exciting, as a video we made to promote the launch ended up going viral on the internet.  After many suggestions on reddit that we accept bitcoin donations, we made an account with BitPay and are now set up to accept bitcoin donations.  I've heard that your organization could help us out in various ways, which is really exciting for us!  We don't know very much about bitcoin but are excited to learn more.

Please let me know more about your organization and how we can work together.  Our website is www.intsikelelo.org, and our BitPay button is located on our donation page at www.intsikelelo.org/donate .  The viral video I mentioned is on our website or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4_2gbx2Kxg if you have any interest!

Thanks,
Chris Grava
Intsikelelo

They are a year old, and also seem fine, but I'd like a second opinion too please.

They are mentioned a lot of times on websites so i think they are legit. Too hard to fake.

Agreed. I did some of my own researching on them, and they definitely deserve the help. Donation sent: https://blockchain.info/tx/5093dc092ca04a0cc807d8d0e3accf1ffc3ad90dc468b471fc4f3f07a89662bd

Hello Rassah,

I looked through some forums on r/Bitcoin and saw that your organization provides some funding to secular and non-political charities and organization. [Last week] I helped a local charity set up a Bitcoin address and donation option and was wondering if their organization meets any other qualifications for funding from your organization.

Here is the website to our local charity/not-for-profit:
http://familyenrichment.ca/index.php/en/page/home

Family Enrichment Counselling Services Inc. is a secular and non-political charity that specifies in mental health services and education for the local community. We provide rate adjusted counselling for those who cannot afford mental health services, and we provide free counselling for those who have been a victim of violence in the family.

I was also wondering if it's possible to have our website added onto yours.

Regardless of your answer, I'd like to extend a thank you for supporting charities in the way you're doing. It's very encouraging to see people band together without a central authority.

Thank you,
Sherry

And their follow-up:
The rates are adjusted based on the financial situation of the client. Some of the fees are strictly for a psycholigist or mediation services, but our primary interest is affordable counselling for people in need.

My apologies. I do not hold any executive title in the organization so my answers may not be in depth, but my understanding is that fees are collected to ensure that the therapists on staff are paid and that the rent for the offices are paid. Any additional revenue goes back to subsidizing clients for mental health services in the case that they cannot afford counselling. We service many single mothers and clients with trauma that have vulnerable living and financial situations. In addition, extra funds are used to create affordable and often free group therapy programs.

As for our charity work, I know that we are registered. I believe our free educational and therapeutic programs for the community enable this title. We also collaborate and help other charities when we see they need a boost by setting up events and promotion. I can acquire additional details for you if you want specifics of exactly what distinguishes us as a charity.

I'm kind of undecided on this one...

Me too. Its a bit strange speaking of NPO and then presenting such prices. I checked google results and it seems this organisation is nowhere seen as a normal business. Only as a charity. So think the info he gave are correct and that the fees are only additional services that help to fund the other activities.

Let's see if we can get a third opinion on this. Contacting Phinneas Gage for his input.

Good morning,

My name is Kirsten Tynan, and I am executive director of the Fully Informed Jury Association, a 501c3, non-profit, educational organization dedicated to fully informing everyone of jurors' right and authority to judge the law as well as the facts in cases before them, and to conscientiously acquit through jury nullification when a just verdict requires it.

I have been looking into setting FIJA up to accept Bitcoin, and one area I have not yet figured out is what we need to do for Bitcoin donors to fulfill legal requirements for some kind of receipt for their tax-deductible donation. Do you have any guidance on this? I browsed the Bitcoin100 website a bit, but didn't find anything on this. I tried to send you a message through the BitcoinTalk forum, but that is not working for me at the moment so I hope it is okay to try and reach you by e-mail.

Thank you!

Kirsten C. Tynan
Fully Informed Jury Association
http://www.FIJA.org

Wow. Prominent Bitcoin Button. They have their own wikipeadia article so i think they are a NPO and they specialize in educating Jury members about their rights. I wonder why one would need money for that since the website could do it on its own but they seem to do some sort of public service.

Probably need someone to actually run the website, plus my guess is they actually reach out to jurors to give them some training and such. I guess I'll take this as "they are approved." Since BitPay limits them to $1,000 a day, and someone already donated some today, I can't send them a donation until later. Will try again sunday after I'm back from Cryptolina.
EDIT: Read later that they added more information. Yeah, I'd say they are definitely approved. Just have to wait for BitPay.

Jul 16, 2014

Hi Rassah,

Yes we are a non-political, secular charity with over 22 years of Serving the homeless population of the Greater Los Angeles area with Food, Housing, Clothing, Child care services, case management, Job placement and much more.

Apologies for the broken link, You can access our site at: http://www.newimageshelter.org.

Let me know if you have any further questions.  

Thanks so much for what you do and for taking the time to respond to us.  

Looking forward to speaking further with you soon!

These guys integrated their bitcoin donation option shortly after contacting me (in May >.< I am soooo behind), so still qualify from the "you have already been receiving bitcoin" point. Please check them on all other aspects.

Looks legit to me and they are mentioned through so many ways that i cant imagine faking it with a useful amount of work. I didnt find something suspicious.

Seems their bitcoin donation button is... weird. It's an image instead of text, so I can't copy/paste the address. Emailed the to ask them to please fix it.
Crystal100Percent

Activity: 2

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 06:09:45 AM

Thanks so much for the donation to 100percent.org.nz! It's because of generous support from communities like you that we are able to do what we do. If you live in NZ, check out a news report about us this coming Mon/Tuesday airing on Campbell Live or follow us on Facebook to keep updated with all the cool stuff we get up to. Grin

Much love,
Crystal Diong
Founder, 100Percent
Ente
Legendary

Activity: 2126

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 08:45:56 AM

now

bitcoin.

Stefan

They seem to be a legit non profit organization and are mentioned in a big magazine. The workers there work for free though there is a monthly fee for it. The magazine writes its still way cheaper than a kindergarten or a childminder. I think its true that they dont earn money and the fee most probably is only for covering costs like rent of the flat, internet and so on.

Heh, that's funny, I am at Rockzipfel regularly! :-)
I can confirm all points: they are an NGO, registered and tax-deductible, apolitical and non-religious, and generally a really great project with nice people.
In fact, now I feel stupid for not having that idea myself, to ask them to accept Bitcoin! :-)

So, yes, let's give them some love!

Ente
sukamasoto
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1006

Black Panther

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 05:09:55 AM

This place people with a noble donate to a charity of his little BTC
may god bless you all Wink

▄._      
                                       ▀█████████▀ 
                                     ,▄▓████████   
                                ╓▄▓███████████▀   
                           ╓▄▓███████▀╙.  ▀█     
                      ▄▄▓███████▀╙▄▄▄▄███         
                 ▄▄▓███████▀╙▄,  ▓███████        
           .▄▄▓██████▀▀╙▄▄▓████▌ ████████         
      .▄▄███████▀▀╙▄▄  ▐███████▌ ████████         
 .▄▄███████▀▀ ▐▄▄▓████ ▐███████▌ ████████         
╙█████▀▀▐▄▄▓  ████████ ▐███████▌ ████████        
 ╙▀ ▄▄▓█████  ████████ ▐███████▌ ████████         
    ████████  ████████ ▐███████▌ ████████         
    ████████  ████████ ▐███████▌ ████████             
No_2

View Profile
August 23, 2014, 06:52:29 PM

Not sure if you've see this, but the Royal National Lifeboat Institution have just started taking bitcoin:

http://rnli.org/NewsCentre/Pages/RNLI-now-accepts-donations-in-digital-currency11.aspx
http://www.coindesk.com/uk-lifeboat-service-accept-bitcoin-donations/

I spoke to Luke Williams who's overseeing the bitcoin fundraising at RNLI.org and he'd not heard of Bitcoin 100. So I said I'd post to this thread to point you at them.

Can you guys take a look at the charity (it's big and well known in the UK) and possibly raise a donation:

https://rnli.org/howtosupportus/donatenow/Pages/bitcoin.aspx?utm_source=rnli-website-redirect&utm_medium=vanity-urls&utm_campaign=bitcoin

If you want his contact details please PM me direct and I can pass them on to you.

Bitcoin 100 admins. Could I get some feed back on this please...

Is Bruno away?
No_2

View Profile
August 23, 2014, 06:55:41 PM
Last edit: August 23, 2014, 07:23:48 PM by No_2

I'm thinking of doing an approach to these guys behind the ice bucket challenge:

http://www.alsa.org/fight-als/ice-bucket-challenge.html

Before I do though can I check that they will be eligible receive a donation?

SebastianJu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2014, 07:20:37 PM

I'm thinking of doing an approach to these guys behind the ice bucket challenge:

http://www.alsa.org/fight-als/ice-bucket-challenge.html

Before I do though can I check that they will be eligible receive a donation?

Wow. Didnt think they reaches 62.5 Million USD in donations already. Im not sure bitcoins would make a difference though bitcoins might get mentioned in this.

Regarding the project itself. I think its a project that can be supported.

koomz

Activity: 3

View Profile WWW
August 25, 2014, 03:25:06 PM

Hi,

I'm currently a board member for http://www.ac-af.com.  I have been trying to get in touch with Bitcoin100 for a few weeks now. 

AC-AF is a non-profit with offices in Toronto and Tanzania, with people on the ground in Africa helping kids impacted by HIV/AIDS.  I recently convinced the rest of the board to allow me to integrate Bitcoin onto our site as a donation method.  I understand that Bitcoin100 provides grants of $1000 for non-profits - would we qualify for such a grant? 

It was extremely difficult to get the board to understand how beneficial accepting Bitcoins as a form of donations, since most were only aware of what they saw on the news regarding the risks and its association with illegal activities.  I'm hoping that accepting Bitcoins as donations is only a first step.  It is very hard for us to send funds from Toronto to Tanzania (Africa) given the process and the fees involved.  I plan on having this organization send funds back and fourth using Bitcoins to pay for local programs, rent, salaries and grants in Africa once I can establish a credible conversion method on the ground in Tanzania. 

The Bitcoin100 grant will go a long way for us as we are in the midst of new management at the organization with a new incoming Executive Director and fairly new and forward thinking board of directors.

Unfortunately we have received 0 bitcoin donations to date, but I am certain this will change in the future. 

Our donation page is located at http://www.ac-af.com/blog/bitcoin
Our donation address is 14zrnfv5n6Ad2WAgvCojk1GK4txkCzre25
Pages: « 1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 [106] 107 108 109 110 111 »
  Print  

Jump to: