Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 03:43:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 [60] 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin 100: Developed Specifically for Non-Profits  (Read 262670 times)
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2013, 05:27:28 PM

This idea is still suffering from not having anyone in a distinct leadership position. I could take over, but it's not a position I want or am interested in. So, unless Phinn gets some free time to actually take the reigns again, or finds someone else to take the lead, I would vote for closing shop and returning whatever we have in holdings as well within a month or two. There just doesn't seem to be all that much support for the idea right now, both from the charities and from the users here.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Herodes

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 28, 2013, 06:04:48 PM

This idea is still suffering from not having anyone in a distinct leadership position. I could take over, but it's not a position I want or am interested in. So, unless Phinn gets some free time to actually take the reigns again, or finds someone else to take the lead, I would vote for closing shop and returning whatever we have in holdings as well within a month or two. There just doesn't seem to be all that much support for the idea right now, both from the charities and from the users here.

Perhaps someone running it could be paid a little, instead of doing it for free, would that create more interest?
edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2013, 06:12:50 PM

Perhaps someone running it could be paid a little, instead of doing it for free, would that create more interest?

That's exactly what I was thinking. I'd love to help but I'm already spread too thin over many projects, and what little BTC I'm earning from the profitable ones is going right back into developing or supporting the others.

As long as everything was kept transparent, I'd have no problem with Bitcoin100 doing something to raise money (selling t-shirts or other merch?) for site maintenance and paying a small salary to whoever runs it.

Still around.
Ente
Legendary

Activity: 2126

View Profile
January 28, 2013, 08:22:27 PM

With how the last Bitcoin collecting rounds went, I see fundraising as a more limiting factor than non-profit-raising..
Do you think we would collect enough bitcoins for one, two, ten more NGOs in any reasonable time?
Even the number of supporters on the list almost came to a halt..
After seeing how it went with collecting 100BTC/1000$ for BUND I am almost glad that the NGO I have contact to didn't check back on me lately..

I don't know.. What's the future?
More supporters? More advertising? Alternate fundraising? More NGOs?

Ente
edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2013, 08:28:58 PM

With how the last Bitcoin collecting rounds went, I see fundraising as a more limiting factor than non-profit-raising..
Do you think we would collect enough bitcoins for one, two, ten more NGOs in any reasonable time?
After seeing how it went with collecting 100BTC/1000$ for BUND I am almost glad that the NGO I have contact to didn't check back on me lately..

Ente

I assumed that would be the organization leader's primary duties: collecting pledges and encouraging donations.

Still around.
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2013, 08:56:49 PM

I doubt a salary would help, as I can't see this org earning enough to be able to pay one that anyone would find worthwhile. Getting donations has obviously become a problem too. And now with BTC1 being close to $20 again, I doubt we'll get many BTC1 per person pledges. Maybe 0.1BTC. I honestly hope not to see any 5BTC ones again, as that's a bit of a ridiculous amount now.

So, although I'm willing to keep helping with the accounting side of things, I don't know how to overcome the low fundraising and organization issues.
Herodes

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 28, 2013, 09:12:20 PM

I doubt a salary would help, as I can't see this org earning enough to be able to pay one that anyone would find worthwhile.

Well, nobody should be expected to be paid full time salary, but a little compensation goes a long way, esp. if one is interested in the humanitarian side of the project, and is not doing it solely for money.

What about when the site collects 100 BTC, then 10 BTC goes to the maintainer, would that be fair ?
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2013, 09:14:46 PM

I don't need compensation to maintain this as it stands now. I'll be posting latter to address the most recent concerns. Right now, I'm heading back out the door to meet with a client.

~Bruno K~
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2013, 03:18:53 AM
Last edit: January 29, 2013, 03:36:55 AM by Phinnaeus Gage

I'll start off by addressing the various posts I've yet to address, then finish this post with more viable content, found below the horizontal line.

Guys just to let you know if you wanted to set up a Project on CIYAM Open for Bitcoin100 you would be welcome to (the service would be offered to Bitcoin100 "fee free for life" of course).

After the Bitcoin100 "Project" (the top-level "record type" in the application's terminology) has been created you can then below it create specific Project Areas (nested if desired) below which finally you create specific Project Tasks (they could be used for the specific charity "drives" or maybe even for actual tasks that the NPO needs to get done) making it very easy for people to "see" where the funds have all gone (and allowing people to donate to say just one specific charity without having to even contact you).

No bitcoins are kept on the website nor would any of Bitcoin100's (or any other Project hosted on the site for that matter) donations ever be handled by CIYAM Open or myself personally (so the only thing that could be "lost" at all would be the non-essential service that the site is offering).

If interested please let me know and I'll set you up an account (best if one of you knows how to use GPG).

CIYAM, although I deeply admire the gesture and all the work you've put into this project, I, for the life of me, can't figure out how it would be an asset to Bitcoin 100. That is not meant as a diss by any stretch of the imagination. Perhaps some other can enlighten me on the project's prospects.

The last couple drives has sure shown that not much more coins should be expected from the community. At the end of this post, I will start off by readdressing this very point.

The last couple weeks has been busy for me with RL concerns, but I have not abandoned this project. In fact, I'm looking to expand it mega-fold, with a plan to not rely on funding from the community. Again, more on this aspect at the end of this post.

Ente

Hence, a new strategy need's to be implemented. I feel there was never a fear of not being able to fully fund, as outlined, any new NPO/NGO that would have came on board. One way or another, BTC100 would have been sent as promised. But now with the exchange rate approaching $20 per, a typical fundraising drive becomes that much more difficult. Currently, there's enough funds on hand to fund 4-5 charitable groups with ~$1,000 USD equivalent to each. In fact, that's what it's looking like will be done with remaining funds on hand. Again, more on this aspect at the end of this post.

Ente

I assumed that would be the organization leader's primary duties: collecting pledges and encouraging donations.

Will be touched upon in a round-about way at the end of this post.

I doubt a salary would help, as I can't see this org earning enough to be able to pay one that anyone would find worthwhile.

Well, nobody should be expected to be paid full time salary, but a little compensation goes a long way, esp. if one is interested in the humanitarian side of the project, and is not doing it solely for money.

What about when the site collects 100 BTC, then 10 BTC goes to the maintainer, would that be fair ?

NO! But, with a different model all together, funding the endeavor should be no longer a concern, if a revenue stream is created via some other means.

I've always felt that if anybody where to receive compensation first, it would be Rassah. I still feel that way, for if the new approach I envision takes wings, he'll earn every satoshi as the CFO. (see what I did there?)

Firstly, and most importantly, I wish to thank the community for all the contributions to date. I can't put into words how grateful not only I am, but the non-profits to date who've received funds via bitcoins, and the 4-5 who soon will. This small handful that we funded (or soon will), adds to the list of NPO's who accept bitcoins as an adjunct donation option. It's with this list that will springboard Bitcoin 100 to the next level. More on that in a second.

Rassah has played an instrumented part in this endeavor from the get-go, and hopefully will continue to fill the capacity as CFO well into the future--with proper compensation.

When Bitcoin 100 was conceived, the idea of giving BTC100 to each non-profit that includes a Bitcoin donation option on their respective website, was an admirable plan. One of which would further the advancement of Bitcoin. But seeing now that Bitcoin is gaining more and more traction via other means, e.g., Wordpress, the time may have come to wind this practice down and move up to the next level.

The funds on hand will still be used as they were intended when donated, albeit a minor adjustment. Once Rassah PM's me the figures, I'll present a detailed plan of action, one of which I'm sure will be acceptable by those who've donated to the pool.

Bitcoin 100, and bitcoin100.org (domain provided, and paid for, by edd), sure does sound like a magically name for what was envisioned, then accomplished to date. But, personally, I don't see it as a name that will be taken seriously by future prospects. As an example, there's no PayPal100 or Dwolla100 or Visa100 names associated with NPO's/NGO's. Basically, it's too cheesy. I believe a better name is warranted. I had one name in mind, and Josh was kind enough to better it, but now feel that they too far short.

With that, I'm opened to suggestions, but please PM them to be so that they're not purchased before we get a chance. I will give you my personal opinion on each name suggested, with all credit going to the one who supplies an accepted entry.

Moreover, the entity needs to be a registered 501(c)3 organization if it's to be taken seriously. I'm will to foot that expense, along with paying for the domain name years in advance. Paying for hosting a WP themed site is also not an issue, unless unique programming skills are needed, then those will be farmed out with full compensation.

I believe I have an idea on how to garner funding to accomplish all that's needed without further relying upon the community, VC funding, endowments, etc. I'm going to dedicated a separate post to expand upon this thought further.

I've been recently interviewed by a well-know periodical, but not currently at liberty to state which one or when the issue of unsaid entity will be released. The article is mostly about Bitcoin 100 and charities funded via bitcoins in general, with a little bio of myself thrown in. Soon, everybody will learn my last name, one of which I've provided to no less than 24 others via PM's, started with to Josh, if I'm not mistaken.

I was tentatively assured that the article will be released prior to the Bitcoin2014 conference in San Jose, of which I'm attending, and hopefully speaking on this topic at hand.

To put how Bitcoin could play a roll in the NPO/NGO playground, consider the following. In the US alone, 200 billion dollars is donated annually to said causes. Imagine if they had an extra 20 billion dollars to spend on their causes without having to raise a single dime (satoshi) more. Impossible! I don't think so. That's what I'm planning on implementing with the new Bitcoin 100. I even firmly believe that I can pull it off without relying upon donations, though they won't be refused. Bear in mind, the US is not the only country whose populace donate vast amounts of money. And, if I read correctly, most charitable organizations are a hurtin'. Again, more on this with a future post. Meanwhile, think of a name.

Sorry for going long, but the above should be enough for now to rest most concerns, and also give you something to think about. I'll leave you with this: Bitcoin works well for some things, and I firmly believe that funding charities is one of them, if not one of the key rolls Bitcoin will play in the not too distant future.

Whatever the course, Bitcoin 100 will operate with full transparency and accountability. One of it's first objectives will be to earn a spot on the top 10 list at Charity Navigator, also not impossible.

~Bruno K~

sethsethseth

Activity: 257
Merit: 250

Not trusting third parties with my private keys

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 03:29:07 AM

Bitpay has still not processed the withdrawl for MyRefugeHouse, and I don't think the director will promote it until they come through.  I know bitpay has been busy, and they are looking to hire more people, but it would be nice if they could speed this up a bit.

SealsWithClubs poker room has  over 400 players online. Buy in from .01 to 60btc.      BTCSportsMatch lets you bet sports with vig free lines!  Best kept secret in bitcoin....          LocalBitcoins.com is very user-friendly now for bank transfers.  You don't have to live close to trade when in the same currency area.           
Electrum client is awesome. Try it. And please stop sending bitcoins to sites run by security newbies, or don't complain when you lose everything.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2013, 03:59:13 AM

Bitpay has still not processed the withdrawl for MyRefugeHouse, and I don't think the director will promote it until they come through.  I know bitpay has been busy, and they are looking to hire more people, but it would be nice if they could speed this up a bit.

No way! I wish this was brought to my attention sooner, for I would have made a call. Surely, it's just an oversight on their part of some sort.

But you bring up an interesting point. One of the key roles that the new Bitcoin 100 will play as the acting liaison between charities that accept bitcoins and the payment providers is to resolve all issues on a personal level, hopefully always within 24 hours.

To give you an idea on how that would transpire, imagine the following conversation:

BitPay: BitPay. Debbie(?) speaking. How may we be of service to you today?
Bruno: Hello, Debbie(?). Bruno here. May I speak with Tony.
Debbie: I'll put you right through.
Tony: Bruno. What's up, dude.
Bruno: A minor issue with My Refuge House.
Tony: Will get right on it.
Bruno: Cool, dude. How's the family?
Tony: Great! Yours?
Bruno: Just fine. I'm a great-uncle again.
Tony: Wonderful. Anything else?
Bruno: Nope! Later, bud.
Tony: Later.

FIXED!!!

And there'll be other BitPay-type entities in countries that they're not servicing, for whatever reason, that will also be converting bitcoins to the local currency with zero fees. Bottom line, in a very short period of time, all NPOs/NGOs worldwide will never again pay a fee when accepting donations. Good-bye, PayPal! Adios, Dwolla! Aloha, all credit card entities! Plus, no more chargebacks. That accounts for no less than a 3% lost of revenue for charities that are in need. Basically, we're giving them 3% more capital to use at no cost, at a time when donations are getting harder to come by.

But, I implied a 10% gain in my earlier post, and I've yet to express how I envision accomplishing that--over and beyond the 3% I just mentioned. Stay tuned, for I'm about to introduce the impossible.

~Bruno K~
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2013, 04:57:05 AM

PMs sent to Seth and Tony. This will be resolve quickly, I'm sure. Please accept our apologies, My Refuge House, pertaining to this issue. The final installment, as promised, will also soon be on its way, and hopefully BitPay will process that in a more timely manner.

~Bruno K~
Ente
Legendary

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 10:19:46 AM

I don't want to drop the ball on the NGO I am in contact with. So I want to have definitive answers for them soon. Bitcoin to Euro transfers via SEPA, frensh bankaccount.
What would guys suggest?

BitPay with 4% fees, hassle-free?
MtGox with 0.6%+1% fees?
Something different?

They are a registered NGO/Charity in France. BitPay didn't even reply to my PM and mail.
So I fear that asking BitPay to forward costs and fees to us will result in no answers too, and just steal more time..

For now, I don't see an alternative to a diy-automated MtGox account..

Ente

Ente email me personally please I haven't seen anything about this before  tony@bitpay.com

No problem here, Tony. Thanks for looking into it.

Later, bud.

~Bruno K~

thanks

sorry since Wordpress our new signups and inquiries have increased by 200%.  There has not been much time to respond to all the people asking for special requests.

Thank you, Tony.
I just wrote you an email.
It is all fine if you take your time. Now that I know someone will get back to me I already am happy :-)

Cheers!

Ente

Well.. Been almost two months, I would like to pick up on that again.
edit: Bruno, would you be so kind and mention this to Bitpay as you are in contact with them at the moment?
Else I try again with mail and PMs..

It seems like we have enough funds for some 1000$ donations.
As soon as I hear back from Bitpay/Tony (or find a different reliable solution) I will try to finish it with the NGO I am in contact with.

Ente
sethsethseth

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 06:40:37 PM

The director is very happy since I pointed out to her that the bitpay balance is still in bitcoins, and that the value is almost $20 now.

SealsWithClubs poker room has  over 400 players online. Buy in from .01 to 60btc.      BTCSportsMatch lets you bet sports with vig free lines!  Best kept secret in bitcoin....          LocalBitcoins.com is very user-friendly now for bank transfers.  You don't have to live close to trade when in the same currency area.           
Electrum client is awesome. Try it. And please stop sending bitcoins to sites run by security newbies, or don't complain when you lose everything.
deadweasel

Activity: 364

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 06:42:53 PM

The director is very happy since I pointed out to her that the bitpay balance is still in bitcoins, and that the value is almost $20 now.

Hope it doesn't reverse before you handle her transaction.

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2013, 01:54:21 AM
Last edit: January 31, 2013, 05:07:58 AM by Phinnaeus Gage

I don't want to drop the ball on the NGO I am in contact with. So I want to have definitive answers for them soon. Bitcoin to Euro transfers via SEPA, frensh bankaccount.
What would guys suggest?

BitPay with 4% fees, hassle-free?
MtGox with 0.6%+1% fees?
Something different?

They are a registered NGO/Charity in France. BitPay didn't even reply to my PM and mail.
So I fear that asking BitPay to forward costs and fees to us will result in no answers too, and just steal more time..

For now, I don't see an alternative to a diy-automated MtGox account..

Ente

Ente email me personally please I haven't seen anything about this before  tony@bitpay.com

No problem here, Tony. Thanks for looking into it.

Later, bud.

~Bruno K~

thanks

sorry since Wordpress our new signups and inquiries have increased by 200%.  There has not been much time to respond to all the people asking for special requests.

Thank you, Tony.
I just wrote you an email.
It is all fine if you take your time. Now that I know someone will get back to me I already am happy :-)

Cheers!

Ente

Well.. Been almost two months, I would like to pick up on that again.
edit: Bruno, would you be so kind and mention this to Bitpay as you are in contact with them at the moment?
Else I try again with mail and PMs..

It seems like we have enough funds for some 1000$ donations.
As soon as I hear back from Bitpay/Tony (or find a different reliable solution) I will try to finish it with the NGO I am in contact with.

Ente

Let's get moving on this, Ente. Currently, we have $7,259.31 USD in our coffers at today's exchange rate. That's enough to easily fund 7 NPOs?NGOs with $1,000 USD each. Since basically we're offering your NGO a $1,000 gift, the fee to exchange it to their local currency shouldn't be an issue. But it is an issue with Bitcoin 100's belief system--no non-profit should ever have to pay a fee to accept donations.

The bottom line is that we would love your NGO to start accepting Bitcoin as one of their donation options. And we're willing to donate $1,000 USD in BTC plus an extra $50 in BTC to cover any cost they may incur during the transferring said donation to their local currency if BitPay proves to not be an option.

I just sent Steve with BitPay a PM and I'm sure he or Tony will take another look at your unique situation. Would you be so kind as to drop me a line next Tuesday at the latest if this issue needs to be pursued further?

I do understand that my suggestion will only cover the fee this time around, buy rest assure that in the future if fees are still an issue with further Bitcoin donation, the cost will be covered one way or another. This is another aspect of the new Bitcoin 100 of which I will soon cover.

As you may have read above, I just sent a PM to Steve with BitPay to address this very issue. Meanwhile, Bitcoin 100 has $1,000 USD awaiting the charitable organization you bring to us, Seth.

EDIT: Steve with BitPay just sent me a PM. The first BTC50 was sent to their bank on Jan. 10, 2013 and they should be seeing soon. Bottom line, they're on top of it now.

Hope it doesn't reverse before you handle her transaction.

It won't.

Rassah just sent the final BTC18 to My Refuge House. https://blockchain.info/tx/6b7d65657e5da0838561ba92919feba8c192409521ad2d5b2057e2493355e1b4

Another post forthcoming.

~Bruno K~
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2013, 02:09:25 AM

Just received another PM, Seth, from Steve.

...if they want the 50 BTC converted, I need an email from them and to confirm it with the email we have on the account.

Please let us know if the previous BTC50 has hit their bank account. Please PM or call me if another issue arises.

Now go get us another NPO, tiger!  Grin

~Bruno K~
constitution

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 06:02:19 AM

I believe 2013 will be a great year for Bitcoin100 and Bitcoin in general. I think it's natural that this project slowed down a bit during the Christmas / New Year period. I just came back home from a two week vacation, didn't use much Internet when I was abroad. I now have more time to help with this project, if required.
Ente
Legendary

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 08:23:41 AM

Thank you a lot, Bruno!
As always, you are doing a great job here!

I will finalize it with the NGO as soon as I get a confirmation from BitPay, else I will get back to you in one week if nothing moved until then.

All right, friends! Let's get some more charities in here! :-)

Ente
sethsethseth

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 03:03:07 PM

Just received another PM, Seth, from Steve.

...if they want the 50 BTC converted, I need an email from them and to confirm it with the email we have on the account.

Please let us know if the previous BTC50 has hit their bank account. Please PM or call me if another issue arises.

Now go get us another NPO, tiger!  Grin

~Bruno K~

The accountant just told her that $492 was deposited last week, and there is still 50btc in the bitpay account.  So I guess everything is getting sorted out.  She thought it was an automated conversion and deposit.

Pages: « 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 [60] 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 »
  Print  

Jump to: