Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 12:19:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 [85] 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin 100: Developed Specifically for Non-Profits  (Read 262670 times)
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2013, 02:40:38 PM

http://lendforamerica.org/contact.html just finally got set up. They are using Coinbase, but decided to go low-tech.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2013, 03:14:19 PM

Also, I assumed everyone here likes asses, and went ahead and solicited these guys http://donkeyrescue.com

I got a reply:

From Mark (theburroman)

I am very interested. Is there a time limit? The reason I ask is that we are in development of an entirely new website that will launch after the first of the year. I can incorporate Bitcoin into it easily enough, but would it be better to put it on the current site now?

I told him no rush, that we still have plenty to give out, offered help if he needed it, and suggested BitPay for their 0% non-profit fees thing.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2013, 01:12:45 AM

Also, I assumed everyone here likes asses, and went ahead and solicited these guys http://donkeyrescue.com

I got a reply:

From Mark (theburroman)

I am very interested. Is there a time limit? The reason I ask is that we are in development of an entirely new website that will launch after the first of the year. I can incorporate Bitcoin into it easily enough, but would it be better to put it on the current site now?

I told him no rush, that we still have plenty to give out, offered help if he needed it, and suggested BitPay for their 0% non-profit fees thing.

Perfect!

Excuse me while I stick micro-pizzas up edd's ass.  Grin Grin
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2013, 04:27:05 AM
Last edit: November 21, 2013, 06:01:49 AM by Rassah

$1,000 donation sent to http://lendforamerica.org/  

https://blockchain.info/tx/3ed19c68f347675f7a476b6dc8e5673562ff8bf547aee1b6e18fea30c8d30aac

and another $1,000 sent to http://ibme.info/

https://blockchain.info/tx/7856a62172c79edb28f2eb8afa498cb366b1e7a6b5d31228bf0813498fad306e

Edd, you got more work to do  Grin
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2013, 03:14:32 PM

Awwww. Just got this in the mail

Hi there. Alex with Vote Hemp here with a quick question. Just how prominently do you expect Bitcoin 100 orgs to display their acceptance of bitcoin donations?

We're adding a bitcoin donation option to http://www.votehemp.org/contribute in the next day or two and I want to let my guys know if they also need to put some sort of indicator on the landing page as well - at the moment we don't reference any contribution options on the index page. "contribute" is an option under the "Take Action" drop-down.

Thanks for your time and for all that you do.

Have you heard about Bitcoin Black Friday? That and Bitcoin100.org are what enabled me to convince my bosses to add a bitcoin donation option, by the way.

With respect,

Alex

Guys, please verify and confirm, but my first reply had to be to point out that Bitcoin100 can't donate to political orgs  Undecided
nildram

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2013, 04:39:33 PM

Would this charity be eligible?

http://dogwoodinitiative.org/

My friend works there, and recent reports indicate the Canadian gov't is spying on them.
edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2013, 04:42:54 PM

Done!

Hi there. Alex with Vote Hemp here with a quick question. Just how prominently do you expect Bitcoin 100 orgs to display their acceptance of bitcoin donations?

We're adding a bitcoin donation option to http://www.votehemp.org/contribute in the next day or two and I want to let my guys know if they also need to put some sort of indicator on the landing page as well - at the moment we don't reference any contribution options on the index page. "contribute" is an option under the "Take Action" drop-down.

Have you heard about Bitcoin Black Friday? That and Bitcoin100.org are what enabled me to convince my bosses to add a bitcoin donation option, by the way.

With respect,

Alex

Guys, please verify and confirm, but my first reply had to be to point out that Bitcoin100 can't donate to political orgs  Undecided

Fraid you're right, Rassah. They clearly identify themselves as a "lobbying organization".

Still around.
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2013, 08:59:19 PM

With respect,

Alex

Fraid you're right, Rassah. They clearly identify themselves as a "lobbying organization".

I just got a reply to my concern/objection:

Rassah;

I understand - though personally I do not consider lobbying for industrial hemp cultivation to be political in the partisan sense, any more so than lobbying for hunger relief or AIDS treatment or fair treatment of political prisoners is political. We're about as non-partisan as one could possibly get. It was with this in mind that I reached out.

I've also passed on info on BitCoin 100 to some of the people working on Bitcoin Black Friday, hopefully they'll be in touch.

Thanks for your timely response.

W/ respect,
ABZ

Comments?
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2013, 11:35:35 PM

With respect,

Alex

Guys, please verify and confirm, but my first reply had to be to point out that Bitcoin100 can't donate to political orgs  Undecided

I just got a reply to my concern/objection:

Rassah;

I understand - though personally I do not consider lobbying for industrial hemp cultivation to be political in the partisan sense, any more so than lobbying for hunger relief or AIDS treatment or fair treatment of political prisoners is political. We're about as non-partisan as one could possibly get. It was with this in mind that I reached out.

I've also passed on info on BitCoin 100 to some of the people working on Bitcoin Black Friday, hopefully they'll be in touch.

Thanks for your timely response.

W/ respect,
ABZ

Comments?

To address an earlier question concerning Vote Hemp, ideally Bitcoin 100 would love to have a Bitcoin donation option remain on a website up to a year, but I am on record in stating that it'll be up to each site's owner(s). Currently, there's nothing written in stone (no pun intended) stating how long such should remain in place.

Now, to address the current concern. Clearly, Bitcoin 100 has a secular clause in place, obviously wanting to stay clear of funding religious orgs, of which has nothing to do with whether or not they provide a wonderful service. Most do.

Likewise, political orgs are mainly off the table, but there may be a tad more latitude in this regard, but I'm not sure. Predicated on what others in the community feel about such, and I'll go along with any outright decision, the best I can offer up is that if Vote Hemp is indeed accepted for a $1,000 USD endowment, that a promise by them of keeping the Bitcoin donation option in place for at least a year may be considered warranted in this case, something they may abide by, unless instructed to take it down due to some legality in the future.

Another solution that comes to mind is perhaps the principles of Vote Hemp may have some other NPO up and running for some period of time, one of which is not closely knit with politics, and may more easily qualify. It's not uncommon for principles of NPOs to attach themselves to more than one non-profit, of which we're well aware and is not a crime.

I hope the above helps in the final decision making and we hope to be able to help you kind folks as much as possible. Although hemp is not my cup of tea (again, no pun intended), I personally have no issue with hemp awareness programs garnering donations or getting an endowment from Bitcoin 100.

We appreciate the fine argument you made after it was revealed to you that such an org may not qualify, hence your request still being on the table and opened for further discussion. That said, let's see what we can go for you fine folks.

Bruno Kucinskas
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2013, 02:51:22 AM

pathwaystoeducation.ca looks terrific!

$1,000 donation sent!

https://blockchain.info/tx/9d0108c1e31b1e12bbdb61b1096c3e0fd61f493d1cad93832822d2e83eeb8d11
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2013, 04:36:37 AM
Last edit: November 22, 2013, 05:10:13 AM by Rassah

More explanation:

How can we get a determination as to whether or not we qualify?

From votehemp.com/mission_goals.html ...

"Vote Hemp is a national, single-issue, nonprofit organization dedicated to the acceptance of and free market for industrial hemp, low-THC oilseed and fiber varieties of Cannabis, and to changes in current law to allow U.S. farmers to grow the crop. Our ultimate goal is having hemp grown on a commercial scale in the U.S. once again and for the crop to be able to be processed here as well. We educate people on the issues surrounding hemp, register voters, and build coalitions to fulfill our mission.
Vote Hemp is working to shift federal regulation of industrial hemp farming out of the hands of the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) and get hemp farming regulated on the state level.

Vote Hemp also works to defend against any new laws, regulations or policies that would prohibit or restrict hemp commerce or imports.

Vote Hemp is not a drug policy organization, nor do we take positions on drug policy issues other than the improper classification of hemp as a drug.

Vote Hemp was founded in May 2000 by members of the hemp industry and was incorporated in the District of Columbia as a non-profit 501(c)(4) organization. Since then Vote Hemp has emerged as the unquestionable lead political activist organization of the hemp industry. We have demonstrated that Vote Hemp is a strategic organization working for meaningful change in Washington, DC, a necessary precursor to expanding the hemp industry in the U.S. and worldwide.

To get a deeper understanding of the mission of Vote Hemp please read The Vote Hemp Treatise: A Renewal of Common Sense: The Case for Hemp in 21st Century America, written by Erik Rothenberg, President of Atlas Corporation and a former Director of Vote Hemp.

Donations, bequests, and in-kind donations to support this effort can be made online. You can also find sample letters and easy ways to contact elected officials; see theVote Hemp Action Center.

Some of the best pages to start with on the Vote Hemp Web site are our Federal Legislation page, State Action page, News Coverage page, and our Download Centerpage. There you can find information on the new bill H.R 1009 which was recently introduced in Congress, what kind of hemp legislation has been introduced in yourstate, the latest in hemp news, and find just about everything else.

Please also check out our What Can I Do? page for all kinds of ways to get involved and help out.

"

Thanks for your time.
With respect,

Just to be clear, we're not talking about psychoactive marjiuana, we're talking about the substance that can't get you high, less than 0.3% THC content, legal to grow almost everywhere in the world except America, in a situation that thus depresses the global hemp market and even prohibits research into the crop, which stands to serve enormous benefits to mankind in the form of biofuels, building materials, biodegradable plastics, even superconductors.

Just wanted to make it clear we're not trying to legalize drugs. We're trying to get a separate defintion for hemp as distinct from marijuana.

Not to get all evangelical. But ... Hawaii is looking to use hemp for phytoremediation to remove contaminants left in the ground at old army bases. And - no joke - struggling farmers in Tasmania are being kept down by US hemp prohibition.

http://www.theadvocate.com.au/story/1892518/hemp-report-positive/

An example of our regs damping down international demand: Naturally Advanced Tech
http://www.hemp.org/news/category/cannabis/naturally-advanced-technologies-inc
Naturally Advanced had been focusing its business on a hemp-based fiber, with operations based in Vancouver, Canada, where laws don't restrict the use of hemp. In the last year, the company has focused on proving its technology with flax fiber, which is more readily available in the U.S., said Naturally Advanced spokeswoman Erin Brunner

And it turns out that hemp-derived carbon nanosheets outperform graphene at a fraction of the cost in supercapacitor electrodes. Wrap your head around the possibilities inherent in that. Now maybe it becomes clear how it became illegal to even grow this plant to be researched at universities in this country.

Thanks for your consideration.

With respect,

Alex B-Z

I'm kinda 45% - %55 on this (slightly against), since, although I do think anti-hemp laws are stupid, this isn't really a charity, either.
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2013, 05:36:17 AM

And my buddy Frankie from college keeps them coming  Grin

Dear Megan,

Please meet my friend Dmitry. We met in business school and he now runs a foundation that is looking for worthy nonprofits to donate to. He just donated $1,000 to my friend Jessie Morey's IBME and my friend Amy's Primate Education Network, and I realized I hadn't reached out to you! I think he will like the Girls Rock! DC mission.

Dmitry's foundation is called BitCoin100. They arose out of the generosity of a few early BitCoin adopters to promote the value of the currency for nonprofits: when donors make their donations in BitCoins, the recipient nonprofit keeps 100% (hence the name). None of the funds are lost to credit card or processing fees.

BitCoin100 donates $1,000 to selected nonprofits who agree to accept the currency on their donation page. It doesn't take much work to get it set up, but I know the money could do a lot of good helping with scholarships for your program.

@Dmitry, Megan is a great friend of mine who helps run the DC chapter of the fabulous nonprofit Girls Rock!. They run an annual summer camp to build self confidence and leadership skills for young girls, culminating in a live concert for rock bands the girls create together. Recently they started offering an after school program as well. Their impact for the girls is huge and $1,000 would make a big difference for them.

Good luck!

Frankie

Grace,

Please meet my friend Dmitry. We met in business school and he now runs a foundation and is looking for worthy nonprofits to donate to. He just donated $1,000 to Jessie Morey's IBME and I thought of you next. I think he will like your Capital Area Food Bank mission.

Dmitry's foundation is called BitCoin100. They arose out of the generosity of a few early BitCoin adopters to promote the value of the currency for nonprofits: when donors make their donations in BitCoins, the recipient nonprofit keeps 100% (hence the name). None of the funds are lost to credit card or processing fees.

BitCoin100 donates $1,000 to selected nonprofits who agree to accept the currency on their donation page. It doesn't take much work, but I know the money could do a lot of good for the Food Bank.

@Dmitry, Grace is a good friend of mine who is thoroughly dedicated to improving others' lives through food. She's also a good friend of Jessie Morey.

Good luck!

Frankie

Not quite right on the reason for the name, but the charity seems sound. I'm still waiting for a reply to "do you have a website?" for the second one. Comments?
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2013, 03:33:54 PM

http://www.girlsrockdc.org/about/

They seem to past muster, and I like their mission statement.
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2013, 08:06:38 PM

And one more!

Dear Kate,

Please meet my friend Dmitry. We met in business school and he now runs a foundation that is looking for worthy nonprofits to donate to. He just donated $1,000 each to my friend Jessie Morey's IBME and my friend Amy's Primate Education Network. I think he will really appreciate the Eureka! Recycling mission.

BitCoin100 donates $1,000 to selected nonprofits who agree to accept the currency on their donation page. It doesn't take much work to get it set up, but I know the money could do a lot of good helping with new initiatives at Eureka.

@Dmitry, Kate and I are old friends from my renewable energy days. She works for Eureka! Recycling, a terrific nonprofit in Minneapolis/ St Paul that works towards improving municipal recycling and building a zero waste future. A $1,000 donation would be a big help with their projects.

Good luck!

So far I haven't seen any issues with the ones Frankie has been introducing us to.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2013, 02:25:27 AM

And one more!

Dear Kate,

Please meet my friend Dmitry. We met in business school and he now runs a foundation that is looking for worthy nonprofits to donate to. He just donated $1,000 each to my friend Jessie Morey's IBME and my friend Amy's Primate Education Network. I think he will really appreciate the Eureka! Recycling mission.

BitCoin100 donates $1,000 to selected nonprofits who agree to accept the currency on their donation page. It doesn't take much work to get it set up, but I know the money could do a lot of good helping with new initiatives at Eureka.

@Dmitry, Kate and I are old friends from my renewable energy days. She works for Eureka! Recycling, a terrific nonprofit in Minneapolis/ St Paul that works towards improving municipal recycling and building a zero waste future. A $1,000 donation would be a big help with their projects.

Good luck!

So far I haven't seen any issues with the ones Frankie has been introducing us to.

http://www.eurekarecycling.org/ looks fine from here, Rassah.
freequant

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 04:50:29 PM

I am in for 1BTC per charity.
I pledge an additional 100 BTC to the Red Cross and Unicef whenever they get onboard.
Today is the 2nd anniversary of my initial pledge. To date, neither Red Cross or Unicef have come on board.
In the meantime, Bitcoin has raised 300 folds, making the terms of my initial pledge borderline unsustainable.
On the occasion of this second anniversary, I have decided to review the terms of my pledge to match better my donation target in dollar terms, while keeping the initial spirit of the pledge.

The new terms of my pledge, effective immediately, and valid until 23 Nov. 2015 are now:
1 - 10k USD equivalent in BTC (regardless of the BTC/USD exchange rate) for Red Cross whenever they join.
2 - 10k USD equivalent In BTC (regardless of the BTC/USD exchange rate) for Unicef whenever they join.
3 - 100 USD equivalent In BTC / charity, up to 100 charities (max 10k USD in total).

@Phinnaeus Gage, I don't really have the time to follow carefully this thread, and I don't know most of the charities, so I'd like to ask you if you don't mind to manage pledge (3) on my behalf, and to notify me if you hear about Red Cross or Unicef joining Bitcoin so that I can execute pledge (1) or (2). If you are ok, I'll send you a first installment of 5k USD for pledge (3), please convert it back to USD and use it 100 USD at a time for next 50 charities (please confirm the BTC address) and let me know once it's used up so that I can send you the second installment. Alternately, I can also send directly 5k USD to your Bitstamp account via Ripple (see: Deposit > Ripple > USD).
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2013, 07:57:20 AM

I pledge an additional 100 BTC to the Red Cross and Unicef whenever they get onboard.
Today is the 2nd anniversary of my initial pledge. To date, neither Red Cross or Unicef have come on board.
In the meantime, Bitcoin has raised 300 folds, making the terms of my initial pledge borderline unsustainable.
On the occasion of this second anniversary, I have decided to review the terms of my pledge to match better my donation target in dollar terms, while keeping the initial spirit of the pledge.

The new terms of my pledge, effective immediately, and valid until 23 Nov. 2015 are now:
1 - 10k USD equivalent in BTC (regardless of the BTC/USD exchange rate) for Red Cross whenever they join.
2 - 10k USD equivalent In BTC (regardless of the BTC/USD exchange rate) for Unicef whenever they join.
3 - 100 USD equivalent In BTC / charity, up to 100 charities (max 10k USD in total).

@Phinnaeus Gage, I don't really have the time to follow carefully this thread, and I don't know most of the charities, so I'd like to ask you if you don't mind to manage pledge (3) on my behalf, and to notify me if you hear about Red Cross or Unicef joining Bitcoin so that I can execute pledge (1) or (2). If you are ok, I'll send you a first installment of 5k USD for pledge (3), please convert it back to USD and use it 100 USD at a time for next 50 charities (please confirm the BTC address) and let me know once it's used up so that I can send you the second installment. Alternately, I can also send directly 5k USD to your Bitstamp account via Ripple (see: Deposit > Ripple > USD).

Thank you so kindly, freequant, for your generous pledges. Here's to hoping that Red Cross and Unicef eventually join the ranks of those that accept Bitcoin donations via their respective websites.

As far as for you wanting Bitcoin 100 to have on deposit $5K USD as per your instructions, Rassah will be the person that handles all the financial aspects, thus no need to send it via Ripple via Bitstamp (I, personally, and Bitcoin 100 use BitPay's services). Rassah will probably hash a separate wallet, along with tagging it accordingly for all to see, to pull from as endowments are allocated. If, by chance, you rather not have others know where (read what wallet) your $5K stemmed from, I'm sure Rassah may be able to cloak the transaction somewhat, but I'm not sure on that regard. Just thinking out loud, and wanting you to know that there's always the possibility of something not taken into consideration.

I'll PM Rassah this post, whereupon he'll know what to do and contact you via a PM. Once the funds are settled, the "block chain" tx will be made available for all to see since we try to be 100% transparent.

Since we are no longer endowing 100 BTC due to the exchange rate, opting for an exact $1,000 USD endowment from here on out since approximately the forth payout, Rassah will probably pull $900 USD of the current funds on hand and add a $100 USD from another dedicated wallet bearing your name or some other tag. It may be awhile before we ever have to request from you the other $5K pledge but, then again, stranger things have happened in the realm of Bitcoin, and Bitcoin 100 might be doling out $1K endowments like there's no tomorrow if NPOs start coming outta the woodwork.

Again, thank you again, freequant, for your generosity. I only wish I had more adjectives (or is it adverbs  Roll Eyes) in my vocabulary to express how I really feel.

Bruno Kucinskas
tom.hashemi

Activity: 169
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 02:36:43 PM

Very generous indeed.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2013, 05:04:49 PM
Last edit: November 24, 2013, 05:58:24 PM by Phinnaeus Gage

Damn, I forgot to thank freequant for reminding me/us that the 22nd was the 2nd anniversary of Bitcoin 100.

It's way over due, but I wish now to thank all those early donors, as well as the ones that came later, for they generosity. Without them, none of what Bitcoin 100 has accomplished would have been possible.

Bruno Kucinskas [Founder & Chief Thought Provoker]
Rassah (by proxy) [Director of Fundom]
edd (by proxy) [Human Program Technician]
Frankie Abralind (by proxy) [Legacy Brand Orchestrator]
Jason King (by proxy) [Dynamic Paradigm Liaison]
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2013, 05:08:43 PM

Hi. If you would like us to hold and manage your pledge, and limit it to some specific amount in USD per specific charity, I can do that, but I can't hold it in anything other than BTC. I can just hold it in a separate bitcoin address to make it easier to track. You are free to ask for your money, or any portion of it, back at any time, if, for example, your $5k donation ends up being worth way more than combined $30k. The money I hold on behalf of Bitcoin100 are pledges in my care, not donations we claim ownership to as soon as they hit our address.
Pages: « 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 [85] 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 »
  Print  

Jump to: