Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 01:55:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 [104] 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin 100: Developed Specifically for Non-Profits  (Read 262670 times)
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2014, 04:00:01 AM
Last edit: May 13, 2014, 04:23:41 AM by Phinnaeus Gage

Hi!

I run a not for profit and we accept bit coins. Please see

http://singmeastory.org/donate

We would love a donation of $1000. Thank you so much!

We started accepting Bitcoin in December. One of my closest friends gave me a bit coin for our wedding in October and insisted I learn more about it and allow our org to accept bit coin. We did Smiley He then sent me a note the other day letting me know about you all.

Let me know if ya'll need anything from us. Thank you so much for what you are doing. Bitcoin rocks.

No.

Although Austin now uses a Houston address, an address in Nashville he's associated changed hands, and both the seller and buyers of said home are bitcoiners. That other person is in the travel industry, and I even found a blog showcasing said travel concern that accepts bitcoins.

We apologize.

~Bruno Kucinskas

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2014, 06:48:54 AM

Hi Rassah,

Here's a short description of our charity:

Pastoralist Child Foundation's (http://www.pastoralist-child-foundation.org/) mission is to prevent harmful tribal practices in rural Kenya that prevent girls from achieving their full potentials.  Practices such as female genital mutilation (FGM/C) and forced marriages of young girls are still going on. There's a movement of young and old, working together to eradicate these age-old traditions and replace them with alternative rites of passage and access to education for marginalized girls.  We work in Samburu and Maasai Mara, Kenya.  We also provide educational sponsorships (scholarships) to pay for boarding school tuition, exam fees, uniforms, shoes, school supplies, backpacks, medical check-ups, sheets, blankets, pillows, personal toiletries and iron lock boxes for the girls we sponsor.  In addition, we provide community educational workshops on FGM, forced marriage, teen pregnancy, HIV/AIDS, health and sanitation.

We're a registered 501C3 nonprofit charity in the USA. We are saving lives and working to improve life outcomes in marginalized communities. The links to our website and social media are under my signature.

Thank you. We look forward to your response. We'd really like to start accepting Bitcoins and will follow your instructions.

Best regards,

Sayydah Garrett
Founder & President
Pastoralist Child Foundation, Inc.

Unfortunately, due to the info below, this, too, would have to be a no, with apologies.

~Bruno Kucinskas

http://who.godaddy.com/whoisstd.aspx?domain=pastoralist-child-foundation.org&prog_id=GoDaddy

Domain Name: PASTORALIST-CHILD-FOUNDATION.ORG
Registry Domain ID: D166741096-LROR
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.godaddy.com
Registrar URL: http://www.godaddy.com
Update Date: 2013-07-09 17:12:08
Creation Date: 2012-10-02 13:30:22
Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2014-10-02 13:30:22
Registrar: GoDaddy.com, LLC
Registrar IANA ID: 146
Registrar Abuse Contact Email: abuse@godaddy.com
Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: +1.480-624-2505
Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited
Domain Status: clientUpdateProhibited
Domain Status: clientRenewProhibited
Domain Status: clientDeleteProhibited
Registry Registrant ID: CR146893944
Registrant Name: Thomas Loloso
Registrant Organization: N/A
Registrant Street: BOX 55555
Registrant City: Nairobi
Registrant State/Province:
Registrant Postal Code: 00100
Registrant Country: Kenya
Registrant Phone: +254.254721333524
Registrant Phone Ext:
Registrant Fax:
Registrant Fax Ext:
Registrant Email: tomlolosoli@gmail.com
Registry Admin ID: CR146893945
Admin Name: James Waititu
Admin Organization: Mambo Microsystems Limited
Admin Street: BOX 36926
Admin City: Nairobi
Admin State/Province:
Admin Postal Code: 00200
Admin Country: Kenya
Admin Phone: +254.254721333524

https://www.facebook.com/mambo247/posts/10153857196175293?stream_ref=5

giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2014, 02:06:27 AM

Hi Rassah,

Here's a short description of our charity:

Pastoralist Child Foundation's (http://www.pastoralist-child-foundation.org/) mission is to prevent harmful tribal practices in rural Kenya that prevent girls from achieving their full potentials.  Practices such as female genital mutilation (FGM/C) and forced marriages of young girls are still going on. There's a movement of young and old, working together to eradicate these age-old traditions and replace them with alternative rites of passage and access to education for marginalized girls.  We work in Samburu and Maasai Mara, Kenya.  We also provide educational sponsorships (scholarships) to pay for boarding school tuition, exam fees, uniforms, shoes, school supplies, backpacks, medical check-ups, sheets, blankets, pillows, personal toiletries and iron lock boxes for the girls we sponsor.  In addition, we provide community educational workshops on FGM, forced marriage, teen pregnancy, HIV/AIDS, health and sanitation.

We're a registered 501C3 nonprofit charity in the USA. We are saving lives and working to improve life outcomes in marginalized communities. The links to our website and social media are under my signature.

Thank you. We look forward to your response. We'd really like to start accepting Bitcoins and will follow your instructions.

Best regards,

Sayydah Garrett
Founder & President
Pastoralist Child Foundation, Inc.

Unfortunately, due to the info below, this, too, would have to be a no, with apologies.

~Bruno Kucinskas

http://who.godaddy.com/whoisstd.aspx?domain=pastoralist-child-foundation.org&prog_id=GoDaddy

Domain Name: PASTORALIST-CHILD-FOUNDATION.ORG
Registry Domain ID: D166741096-LROR
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.godaddy.com
Registrar URL: http://www.godaddy.com
Update Date: 2013-07-09 17:12:08
Creation Date: 2012-10-02 13:30:22
Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2014-10-02 13:30:22
Registrar: GoDaddy.com, LLC
Registrar IANA ID: 146
Registrar Abuse Contact Email: abuse@godaddy.com
Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: +1.480-624-2505
Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited
Domain Status: clientUpdateProhibited
Domain Status: clientRenewProhibited
Domain Status: clientDeleteProhibited
Registry Registrant ID: CR146893944
Registrant Name: Thomas Loloso
Registrant Organization: N/A
Registrant Street: BOX 55555
Registrant City: Nairobi
Registrant State/Province:
Registrant Postal Code: 00100
Registrant Country: Kenya
Registrant Phone: +254.254721333524
Registrant Phone Ext:
Registrant Fax:
Registrant Fax Ext:
Registrant Email: tomlolosoli@gmail.com
Registry Admin ID: CR146893945
Admin Name: James Waititu
Admin Organization: Mambo Microsystems Limited
Admin Street: BOX 36926
Admin City: Nairobi
Admin State/Province:
Admin Postal Code: 00200
Admin Country: Kenya
Admin Phone: +254.254721333524

https://www.facebook.com/mambo247/posts/10153857196175293?stream_ref=5

.... sorry I seam to be slow but where exactly is the problem? So the organisation that registered the other organisation already accepts bitcoin? How doss this go against any of our rules?

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
Ente
Legendary

Activity: 2126
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 10:34:25 AM

Thank you, Bruno, Rassah and the rest of you, for keeping this up and running!
After the excitement and novelty some years ago, now is the time for stamina and commitment.
Thank you for keeping this rolling!

ALso, I noted there seems to be a shift here. The organisations contacting BTC100 often already know Bitcoin, and already love Bitcoin. It does sound like they only hesitate to put a Bitcoin donation option online to first grab that fat donation from BTC100.
It used to be the opposite, us contacting NGOs who never heard of Bitcoin, and providing an incentive to opt in.
Is it time for readjusting?

Ente
knocte

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 04:43:55 PM

Hey guys, I'm replying to this thread, not because I'm part of a non-profit interested in receiving bitcoin donation, but because I'm interested in creating a non-profit that exclusively manages its accounting with bitcoin (no banks whatsoever, or just a bank account as an intermediate step to convert USD donations to BTC).

Does anyone know any such non-profit that is already operating in this manner? I'd love to know how they handle this, to learn from them on how to manage the paperwork with the government every year properly. Thanks
Seth Otterstad

Activity: 328
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 07:45:59 PM

After the excitement and novelty some years ago, now is the time for stamina and commitment.
Thank you for keeping this rolling!

ALso, I noted there seems to be a shift here. The organisations contacting BTC100 often already know Bitcoin, and already love Bitcoin. It does sound like they only hesitate to put a Bitcoin donation option online to first grab that fat donation from BTC100.
It used to be the opposite, us contacting NGOs who never heard of Bitcoin, and providing an incentive to opt in.

Ente

Has anyone considered merging with BitGive?  They are way better at getting publicity.  We obviously can't use the funds the way they do (converting to cash and directly giving cash to charities), but I'm sure some arrangement could be figured out.

I thought my idea to pay Curtis from Bitcoin Bigfoot $100/charity to cold call them and get new signups was really good, and I was kind of surprised that no one else offered to donate.  Perhaps this thread just isn't getting much traffic anymore since it was moved out of the main forum.

Seth Otterstad's Blog          @SethOtterstad on twitter          Seth on google+
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 04:22:00 AM

I think this is a legit it looks like there is a program to give Scholarships using Bitcoin
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=635349.msg7079249#msg7079249

Snippet from the page

The Immersive Education Initiative scholarship is a global education scholarship funded entirely through Bitcoin.  [...]

Scholarship Dispersal

Scholarship funds are allocated under two categories:

Professional Development: Funding for teachers, students and budding young entrepreneurs to attend educational conferences, receive training and certification on immersive technologies for education, and enroll in camps, clubs and classes that they could not afford otherwise.

Intellectual Enrichment: Rewards learners of all ages who complete intellectually challenging tasks using educational software as well as using commercial video games and software products that, while not specifically designed for educational purposes, support intellectually challenging and enriching activities (such as Minecraft, Portal, LittleBigPlanet, Civilization, Google Earth & Sky, Scribblenauts).

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
qwk
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3542
Merit: 3411

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 09:45:28 AM

Absolutely, thanks to you guys.

Just an idea I always wanted to see come to life:

1. make charities accept bitcoin over a public address.
2. top all donations toward that particular address with some more bitcoins from our funds, based on the ratio of received donations.

E.g. you have 2 organizations who accept bitcoin donations over addresses 1abc… and 1xyz…
In one month, charity 1abc… receives 6 BTC in donations, charity 1xyz receives 4 BTC in donations.
Out of our funds we donate 1 BTC per month (or some percentage of whatever we have) to all the charities, so 1abc… will receive 0.6 BTC from us and charity 1xyz.. will receive 0.4.

That way, we'd not only incentivize charities to accept bitcoin donations, we would also incentivize them to do so in a very transparent way over a public bitcoin address, which is one of the things I'd like to see from charities anyways. Also, donators would be incentivized to donate bitcoins rather than Euros or Dollars, since that would result in a higher donation from us chipping in.

Well, just an idea and probably a lot of hard work (which I'm definitely not going to do), but what do you think?

Yeah, well, I'm gonna go build my own blockchain. With blackjack and hookers! In fact forget the blockchain.
Ente
Legendary

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 12:22:01 PM

Absolutely, thanks to you guys.

Just an idea I always wanted to see come to life:

1. make charities accept bitcoin over a public address.
2. top all donations toward that particular address with some more bitcoins from our funds, based on the ratio of received donations.

E.g. you have 2 organizations who accept bitcoin donations over addresses 1abc… and 1xyz…
In one month, charity 1abc… receives 6 BTC in donations, charity 1xyz receives 4 BTC in donations.
Out of our funds we donate 1 BTC per month (or some percentage of whatever we have) to all the charities, so 1abc… will receive 0.6 BTC from us and charity 1xyz.. will receive 0.4.

That way, we'd not only incentivize charities to accept bitcoin donations, we would also incentivize them to do so in a very transparent way over a public bitcoin address, which is one of the things I'd like to see from charities anyways. Also, donators would be incentivized to donate bitcoins rather than Euros or Dollars, since that would result in a higher donation from us chipping in.

Well, just an idea and probably a lot of hard work (which I'm definitely not going to do), but what do you think?

I like your thinking!
In effect, this would "make the rich more rich", and small NGOs with little donations receive little..

I guess the readjustment, should that be in the books, is defined by the manpower bitcoin100 has..

Ente
qwk
Donator
Legendary

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 12:49:49 PM

In effect, this would "make the rich more rich", and small NGOs with little donations receive little..

I guess the readjustment, should that be in the books, is defined by the manpower bitcoin100 has..
Well, the "rich getting richer" is probably outweighed by the opportunity little organizations have to make their donators donate in bitcoin. At least for the moment. But the distribution also doesn't have to linearly match the donations, one could easily find a formula to prefer smaller organizations.

And the manpower issue is a general one for the Bitcoin100, no doubt about that. Unfortunately, I don't have an easy solution for that Wink

Yeah, well, I'm gonna go build my own blockchain. With blackjack and hookers! In fact forget the blockchain.
Tones4Homes

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2014, 08:35:24 AM

Please look at our cause we need help getting things going we need to raise 5 BTC to acquire a license to operate.
http:tones4homes.com

And please look at our Bitcoinstarter project page
https://bitcoinstarter.com/projects/854

We are also looking for team members so if anyone wants to be part of the team please contact me and let me know what you can do.
Sincerely
Tones4Homes
SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2014, 11:11:50 AM

I has been given the tip about this thread here. Since i wanted to fight free trade agreements like TTIP (with their democracy undermining arbitration courts and following problems for citizens) i searched a political movement that accepts bitcoins and fight TTIP. I found Lobbycontrol eV http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lobbycontrol which is a not so small NPO fighting lobbying.

I asked them to accept Bitcoins and at the end i helped them setting up a way to donate Bitcoins with bitpay.com. Then i donated a nice amount of coins.

Here is the original thread in german about it: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=574721.0;all

And here the link for donating bitcoins: https://www.lobbycontrol.de/unterstutzen/bitcoin-spenden/

Anyway... im not sure if the website matches this threads effort but it might be the case.

Thanks!

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
Ente
Legendary

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 05:45:48 PM

I has been given the tip about this thread here. Since i wanted to fight free trade agreements like TTIP (with their democracy undermining arbitration courts and following problems for citizens) i searched a political movement that accepts bitcoins and fight TTIP. I found Lobbycontrol eV http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lobbycontrol which is a not so small NPO fighting lobbying.

I asked them to accept Bitcoins and at the end i helped them setting up a way to donate Bitcoins with bitpay.com. Then i donated a nice amount of coins.

Here is the original thread in german about it: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=574721.0;all

And here the link for donating bitcoins: https://www.lobbycontrol.de/unterstutzen/bitcoin-spenden/

Anyway... im not sure if the website matches this threads effort but it might be the case.

Thanks!

Nice work, Sebastian!

Ente
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2014, 12:39:52 AM

Hi guys. I'm, uh, back. Sorry I was away for a while. We are seriously short on manpower here. I was out for a few months, dealing with the job transition to Mycelium, attending a few conferences, and traveling, and... nothing at all got done. My fault, since I'm the e-mail point guy, but I need to change that. Anyone else want to join a mailing list so that solicitors can email a bunch of us at the same time, and whoever is free can answer them? (I have 40 e-mails to go through).
We also need someone to go over and verify submitted charities. Things like whois info, when they started accepting bitcoins, if they are an actual charity, etc. I need help guys. I can't do ALL of this all by myself.
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2014, 01:22:06 AM

Charities list to go over.

Sent: Mar 7

Hi Dmitry

The Global Peace Initiative Switzerland is a charitable, tax-exempt organization in Switzerland dedicated to promote peace in the world. Since approx. a month we are accepting Bitcoin donations. Here is our donation page (in German): http://www.friedensinitiative.ch/spenden

Can you include us on the Bitcoin 100 Charities list as a non-political, secular charity eligible to receive the Bitcoin equivalent of $1000?

Thank you.

Best wishes
Global Peace Initiative Switzerland

Felix Kaegi

Sent: Mar 28

Dear Mr. Murashchik,

The Mercatus Center at George Mason University is a non-partisan, 501(c)3 organization. As a university-based research center, the Mercatus Center advances knowledge about how markets work to improve people’s lives by training graduate students, conducting research, and applying economics to offer solutions to society’s most pressing problems. We accept donations in Bitcoin at  http://mercatus.org/donate and would like to take advantage of Bitcoin100’s offer to donate the equivalent of $1000 to charities accepting Bitcoin donations.

Thank you for your consideration. I have attached our IRS letter certifying our nonprofit status.

Best wishes,

Sarah Jenislawski

Sent: Apr 9

Dear Rassah and all of Bitcoin 100,
I currently work for a non-profit organization called More Than A Game that focuses on using soccer to give refugee youth the opportunity to grow in character, leadership, and teamwork through soccer camps, tournaments, and leagues. This summer, we'll be sending a team of soccer coaches over to Iraq to start up a sustainable soccer league in a Syrian refugee camp near Erbil. We recently began accepting BTC as an acceptable way of donating, and I was wondering if Bitcoin 100 would be interested in donating BTC to More Than A Game? Let me know if you are interested or would like more information!

Thanks!

John A. Chau
Outreach Coordinator

Sent: Apr 9

Hello Rassah!

I'm a board member of a non-profit in South Korea.  We coordinate safety and cleaning initiates all over the country for the rock climbing community.  I've recently heard a podcast about the bitcoin 100 on the Ltb network.  I'm very interested in providing bitcoin as a donation option on our website and was curious about the donation promotion your group is currently doing.  The site is KOTRi.org

Please let me know what actions we can take to move forward.

All the best,

Josh Fuller

Sent: May 8

Dear Mr. Rassah,

I was wondering if three organizations that I am involved with, Effective Altruism Switzerland, the Giordano Bruno Foundation and the Foundation Research Institute would be eligible for your program?

None of them currently accept bitcoin. If they begin to accept bitcoin will they be eligible to receive the bitcoin equivalent of $1,000?

Yours sincerely,

Jonas Vollmer

Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2014, 01:30:28 AM

Anyone up to creating a Bitcoin100 banner?

Sent: May 13

Hi Rassah,

The new LTB site is up and we'd like to include a banner for Bitcoin100 in our charity spot rotation. The banner will be displayed on our main page and needs to be 155 pixels x 155 pixels.

Send it on over when you have a chance!

Thanks & Best,
qwk
Donator
Legendary

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 12:36:55 PM

Global Peace Initiative Switzerland looks like a more-or-less religious organization, not at all secular. Doesn't qualify IMHO.

Sent: Mar 7

Hi Dmitry

The Global Peace Initiative Switzerland is a charitable, tax-exempt organization in Switzerland dedicated to promote peace in the world. Since approx. a month we are accepting Bitcoin donations. Here is our donation page (in German): http://www.friedensinitiative.ch/spenden

Can you include us on the Bitcoin 100 Charities list as a non-political, secular charity eligible to receive the Bitcoin equivalent of $1000?

Thank you.

Best wishes
Global Peace Initiative Switzerland

Felix Kaegi

freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
July 04, 2014, 10:54:49 PM
Last edit: July 04, 2014, 11:05:44 PM by freedomno1

Global Peace Initiative Switzerland looks like a more-or-less religious organization, not at all secular. Doesn't qualify IMHO.

Does it really matter if its religious or secular were looking at charities that provide a service to people not what denomination they are a part of.
Unless they are for-profit which does not seem to be the case here.

Found additional info
https://www.google.ca/?gws_rd=ssl#q=Global+Peace+Initiative+Switzerland
https://www.facebook.com/Friedensinitiative/info

Hmm that said religious concerns aside seems to be about meditation and The Scientific Creation of World Peace
http://www.vedicpandits.org/

---
Think I agree with qwk though about its qualification but it does accept Bitcoin and that's what the Bitcoin 100 is about.

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
Ente
Legendary

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 03:51:38 PM

Does it really matter if its religious or secular were looking at charities that provide a service to people not what denomination they are a part of.
Unless they are for-profit which does not seem to be the case here.

Found additional info
https://www.google.ca/?gws_rd=ssl#q=Global+Peace+Initiative+Switzerland
https://www.facebook.com/Friedensinitiative/info

Hmm that said religious concerns aside seems to be about meditation and The Scientific Creation of World Peace
http://www.vedicpandits.org/

---
Think I agree with qwk though about its qualification but it does accept Bitcoin and that's what the Bitcoin 100 is about.

Well, yes, it does matter, because those were the rules when most of the funds were donated to BTC100..
So it doesn't really matter if the charity in question is "good" or "bad", it'#s just that the funds can't be spent if they are religious, among other points.

Ente
SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2014, 04:09:26 PM

I checked the first post but its not really informing. I see the list of donators, ok but no list of accepted NPOs.

And did only 4 NPOs currently receive donations? 100BTC each? Why such a high threshold? Its $63000 each. I wonder if it needs to be such a high threshold.

So wheres the list of accepted NPOs that will receive donations in the future?

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
Pages: « 1 ... 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 [104] 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 »
  Print  

Jump to: