Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 04:46:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Guide] Dogie's Comprehensive SpondooliesTech SP10 Setup [HD]  (Read 28952 times)
dogie (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2014, 09:07:57 PM
Last edit: December 12, 2015, 07:41:53 AM by dogie
Merited by ABCbits (1)

Dogie's Miner Setup Guides:
    ASICMiner Blade
ASICMiner Cube
ASICMiner Tube
ASICMiner Prisma
Avalon Avalon2
Avalon Avalon3
Avalon Avalon4
Avalon Avalon6
SpondooliesTech SP10
SpondooliesTech SP20
SpondooliesTech SP30
SpondooliesTech SP35
Technobit HEX16B
Technobit HEX8A1
Technobit HEX4M
Technobit 2HEX4M
KNCMiner Saturn/Jupiter
Bitmain AntMiner S1
Bitmain AntMiner S2
Bitmain AntMiner S3
Bitmain AntMiner S4
Bitmain AntMiner S4+
Bitmain AntMiner S5
Bitmain AntMiner S7
Bitmain AntMiner C1
Bitmain AntMiner U3
RockMiner R-Box
RockMiner New R-Box
RockMiner R3-Box
RockMiner T1
HashCoins Apollo
HashCoins Ares
NonceTech Sampo
Yiazo YBF
BTCGarden AMV1
Bitmine Coincraft Desk V2
HashRatio Tsunami
XBTech Pacific 1250
BitCrane T-110
Black Arrow Prospero X1
AMT 1.25TH
C-Scape HexFury USB
C-Scape BiFury USB
MoonlightMiner NanoFury II USB
    Gigampz PSU breakout board

Guide meta thread
    DefaultTrust Visualisation
    Power Supply analysis guide
    Manufacturer trustworthiness guide
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Nicely formatted version available at dogiecoin.com!

Contents:
0a) What to Expect
0b) What You Need
1) Powering
2) Cooling
3) Case
4) Configuration
5) Troubleshooting

0a) What to Expect (top)
The Hammer ASIC is designed by SpondooliesTech (ST) and manufactured by TMSC in Israel. The SP10 contains 192 Hammer ASICs arranged into two large
hashing boards. Hash rates vary between 1.4 and 1.5TH depending on ambient temperature, and power consumption between 1.1 and 1.3KW from the wall.
Each contains a power supply, controller and integrated cooling system - all in a 1.25U case. Specifications are as follows:

Process Node- 40 nm
Package Type- QFN64 8 mm x 8 mm
I/O- Serial protocol with clk, datain and dataout
Rated Hash Rate- 7.5 GHash/s per chip, ~1.4TH overall
Rated Voltage- 0.63 V stock, 0.6 V – 0.8 V
Power.Consumption- ~1100-1200W

0b) What You Need (top)
You will a few accessories to get started.

Click your flag to find everything you need to get started at Amazon!             

1) Powering (top)
SP10s come with a Emerson DS1050 server PSU with a 34 pin output. This means you can NOT replace it with a conventional PSU. It features:

2) Cooling (top)
ASIC cooling requirements are usually limited to being either "sufficient", and/or "quiet". This is slightly different in the SP10 due to its thin form factor.
Temperatures inside the unit determines hash rate so minimising ASIC temperatures are key to maximising returns. Two full length heatsinks are cooled by
6x40mm YS Tech Xtreme FD0124028EBP 40mm fans. They are powered by the controller board and specifications are below.

Dimensions (mm)- 40x40x25
Max RPM- 9000
RPM.Range.(firmware)- 20-80%

A sealed tunnel is serviced by negative pressure currents, which is used to intake, cool the heatsinks and exhaust in one uninterrupted continuous sweep. At
stock, the fans run at ~70%, in turbo ~80% and in quiet mode 40%. Noise levels are extortionate at anything but quiet, in part due to the PSU's fan being
fixed on at its max RPM. This is an error in the power supply, which is designed to run at up to 50C ambient and so is exceptionally overcooled. It is noted that
the bottom of the case can get quite warm warm, and so side mounting is recommended to increase cooling and prevent damage to any wooden flooring.

3) Case (top)
The SP10's case is 1.25U thick (55mm) and is designed to be rack-mountable in a 19" wide rack (482.6mm), or stacked. The boards were designed with the
case in mind and the case was designed with the boards in mind. Harmony ensued. Mining modules are well protected and there is no room for potentially lose
components to move during shipping. The unit is sealed against pets (apart from the 40mm PSU fan, for a grill can be added), although noise levels and
surface temperatures mean the two should still be kept apart.

Shipped weight of a SP10 is 14kg, dimensions of the shipping box are 660 x 550 x 130mm. External dimensions of the case are 475* x 440 x 54.7mm
(+100mm for cabling). They are shipped with 6-32 (diameter) 3/8" (thread) screws for 19" racking mounting.

4) Configuration (top)
Configuration is extremely simple (and may get simpler as the software is developed).

• Plug in an ethernet cable from the SP10 to your router.
  • Plug in a power cable from the mains to your PSU. The unit will auto turn on.
  • Navigate to your router and find the list of devices.
  • Using a browser, navigate to the IP assigned to the SP10 by your router.
  • Login using "admin" as the username and password.
  • Navigate to "Pools", enter miner information as below and click save.
  • Navigate to "Settings" and change clock mode as desired.

Antpool Register!
Code:
Servers : stratum.antpool.com:3333
User    : username.worker or username_worker - auto creates workers!
Password: anypassword
BTCGuild Register!
Code:
Servers : stratum.btcguild.com:3333
User    : username_worker
GHash IO Register!
Code:
Servers : us1.ghash.io:3333
User    : username.worker  - auto creates workers!

5) Troubleshooting (top)
TBD as problems arise.

Legal disclaimer: This information is for general guidance and does not constitute expert advice. We are not responsible if you, your property or a third
party is injured or damaged as a result of any interaction with this information, and no warranty is provided. All text and images are covered by copyright.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
SyRenity

Activity: 756
Merit: 502

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 09:13:03 PM
Last edit: March 21, 2014, 09:40:03 PM by SyRenity

Thanks dogie for the awesome work!

Find the IP assigned to the miner from your router, or with a network sweeping application.

We going to release together with the 1st units shipment the Plug&Mine cloud mechanism to public, allowing to easily locate the units LAN address, making the whole set-up process even faster.

You can see how it will work in the product movie (starting 2:40):
http://vimeo.com/89415321
jelin1984
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1004

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 09:25:17 PM

If I had free miner
I will make better review
miter_myles

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 09:28:42 PM

If I had free miner

BTC - 1D7g5395bs7idApTx1KTXrfDW7JUgzx6Z5
LTC - LVFukQnCWUimBxZuXKqTVKy1L2Jb8kZasL
Korbman
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 09:32:37 PM

Great review, thanks Dogie.

Quick question (not sure if it has been mentioned elsewhere): When you say it's loud, how loud are we talking? I've got 2 AntMiner S1s, and at 1 meter it measures at ~61-62dB (using Android's 'Sound Meter' application, which seems fairly reliable). Room temp is about 20C or so right now.

dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2014, 09:33:13 PM

If I had free miner
Not if you received it 9 hours ago and had 6 hours of testing to run Wink

Felipeo

Activity: 476
Merit: 262

EOSABC

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 09:34:30 PM

+1

◆Telegram  ♠️ ♣️ ♥️ ♦️    www.eosabc.io   ♦️ ♣️ ♥️ ♠️  ◆Whitepaper
♠️   EOSABC redefine games with blockchain   ♠️
♥️  Win EOS on eosabc.io Everyday    ♥️
minternj

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 09:39:02 PM

Totally Jelly.

Warning about Nitrogensports.eu
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=709114.0
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2014, 09:39:43 PM

Quick question (not sure if it has been mentioned elsewhere): When you say it's loud, how loud are we talking? I've got 2 AntMiner S1s, and at 1 meter it measures at ~61-62dB (using Android's 'Sound Meter' application, which seems fairly reliable). Room temp is about 20C or so right now.

In quiet mode WITHOUT PSU fan control its 69-70 at 1m. All the noise though is the PSU, its rediculously overcooling itself as its designed to run @ 100% load up to 50C, and its in 22C. Just that temperature difference means its overcooling by 83% so once the coding is done then noise levels will come right down to ~Antminer levels (or less).

The normal and high levels with today's firmware but PSU control would be roughly that of an Avalon gen1. As of this second they're LOUD2. All in good time, the team is busily coding away new things.

dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2014, 10:21:43 PM

Thanks for the review Dogie - much appreciated.

Can you estimate space between units when mounted in a rack for the possibility of wrapping the case in sound-absorbing material?

Do you think that there is enough space to attach a water-cooling mod to the system?

I wonder if a sound-dampening vent / tunnel could be attached to the back of the PSU to reduce some of the worst sound.

Cheers.

If its a 1.25 U server, then there should be 0.5U between two on one side, and 0U on the other. Ie 0.5U above and 0U below. This does degrade cooling performance as the bottom side is essentially a huge heatsink, and a LOT of heat is removable from there with extra airflow. That surface also gets exceedingly hot when in quiet mode so I wouldn't risk putting a material in there.

In quiet, the only noise is the PSU fan (40mm) and the subsequent vibration it generates. In normal, the fans are loud but you can't sound dampen them.

Your waterblock would have to be around 17mm thick at max, and may be cost prohibitive due to the unusually large area of the chips (2x 475 x 440mm). I'm not sure you'd want to risk cooling the PSU internally, or if its even possible. If we pretend that the PSU can't be software controlled (which it can over I2C pins), your best chance at modding it would be an extension cable from the control board out the back of the case, to a custom PCB with 24 pin ATX, 8 pin ATX, 6xPCIE 8 pins etc so it can be powered by a 'silent' ATX psu. Would defeat the purpose of 1.25U though.

GandalfG

Activity: 259

Dig your freedom

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 11:13:49 PM

Thx Dogie for very informative review.
How much you can  OC this device ?
Its generate different amount HW's errors depend of speed settings ?
Can you post some screenshot with that data ?

Want to say thanks? 16ragydppe9QFRVhrdwEUjgfMS7KCfEFGY
Guy Corem
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1051

Spondoolies, Beam & DAGlabs

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2014, 11:14:35 PM

I wonder if a sound-dampening vent / tunnel could be attached to the back of the PSU to reduce some of the worst sound.
We'll soon address the PSU fan speed in a firmware upgrade.

New Mimblewimble implementation: https://www.beam.mw
Spondoolies is now part of Blockstream: https://blog.blockstream.com/en-blockstream-mining-builds-momentum-with-spondoolies-acquisition/
Kaspa is a POW cryptocurrencty which implements GhostDAG protocol: https://kaspanet.org/
RoadStress
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 11:40:05 PM

We'll soon address the PSU fan speed in a firmware upgrade.

Can we swap the PSU to the next bigger model if we buy it?

Guy Corem
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2014, 11:44:53 PM

Sure. We're experimenting with a bigger model under various conditions to see what the gain will be, if any.
In addition, those PSU lead time is above 10 weeks, don't expect an upgrade option anytime soon.

Spondoolies is now part of Blockstream: https://blog.blockstream.com/en-blockstream-mining-builds-momentum-with-spondoolies-acquisition/
Kaspa is a POW cryptocurrencty which implements GhostDAG protocol: https://kaspanet.org/
RoadStress
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 11:46:57 PM

Sure. We're experimenting with a bigger model under various conditions to see what the gain will be, if any.
In addition, those PSU lead time is above 10 weeks, don't expect an upgrade option anytime soon.

Great news. Don't be shy and post some results when you will have them. Having an upgrade or just buy separately option would be great. If not i think people can outsource themselves the needed model if the results are good and having a spare PSU can't be wrong at all.

Edit: Thank you for the review dogie.

Guy Corem
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2014, 11:57:53 PM

Great news. Don't be shy and post some results when you will have them. Having an upgrade or just buy separately option would be great. If not i think people can outsource themselves the needed model if the results are good and having a spare PSU can't be wrong at all.
We will. It's a bit low priority task for us now, we're concentrating on getting the firmware to be release worthy for next week batch.
Assume that the results will be over 1.7 TH/s in a 20C ambient temperature. However, we can't back up this number for now.
Again, if we'll offer this option, it will be an after market addition.

dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2014, 12:35:52 AM

K, so these machines don't have any type of digital display correct? and the bottom gets hot?

hmmmm, I wonder if a unit could be installed upside down then to permit airflow over the hot side?

Do you think that could be possible to assist with heat removal?

No digital display, bottom gets hot yes (that side directly touches the lower heatsink). It wouldn't make any appreciable difference to convection (we're talking low double digits if that), while it would slightly reduce the cooling performance of the heatsinks internally. Either way though its such a small change.

dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2014, 12:44:31 AM
Last edit: March 22, 2014, 12:55:30 AM by dogie

Thx Dogie for very informative review.
How much you can  OC this device ?
Its generate different amount HW's errors depend of speed settings ?
Can you post some screenshot with that data ?

Higher clock modes tend to taper out at 1.5 with current firmware, which looks more like its capped by the power supply rather than chips or temps (as giving it more voltage between turbo and normal did pretty much nothing). In quiet mode (~1.35) I'm seeing 0.7%. On the higher clock modes it was slightly higher but not appreciable.

Remember the software isn't ready so the %s mean nothing - you'll have to calculate it manually.

ZiG

Activity: 406

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 04:38:44 AM

Good job, Dogie...for a such short period of time...Waiting for more details...

Quick question (if you will)...Are you getting PAID for this review...?
sbfree

Activity: 336

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 04:44:50 AM

dogie, you the man, errr......you the DAWG!!

and If I had a free miner, I would STFU and look to dogie Cheesy and then donate to dogie
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: