Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 09:52:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Advice building Antminer S1 Farm  (Read 3113 times)
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 08:19:55 PM

2x200amp for a home?

Wow.... must be a big ass home. You're rich already OP, just buy BTC instead of mining gear be the end of 2014, you will be even richer,

Trust me,... mining farm now is a terrible investment. Do calculation and you will see , you will be lucky to break even on S1. (get back BTC that you spent to buy miners)

And if you only have fiat money, then : if you buy btc now and the btc price rise 10-20%, you will be already ahead of ANY mining.

Holy snap. 400 Amps? I've got 150 amp service for 3200 sq ft home. You must be living in a 10,000 sqft palace.

My house was built in 2001 with a 200A service for 3800 sqft.  I think all the homes in my area have the same service.  I'm not sure if this was a requirement by the local government, power provider, or just a builder thing.  Being in Texas may also drive the service size since I have dual zone AC that needs to cool the house in 100+ degree weather.

Anyway, I've always wondered, that 200A coming in is 240v right?  It looks like I have 2 hots and a neutral along with ground.  I've got 240v runs setup in my house and I'm guessing you can't have 240v circuits without 240v being supplied by the service.

Yes the two hots coming in are 240 V apart. The regular 120 V circuits use one hot and the neutral. 240 V circuits (large appliances, etc.) use both hots.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
claudesdad

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 09:40:36 AM

Can someone give me advice on design?  

1) What kind of line should I have my electrician run off my panel?
2) What PDU to get?
3) Which PSU and how many S1's per PSU and per 120v circuit?
4) What racking to get?

I don't have what could be considered a "farm" (yet)  - I've got 5 S1's right now.

But here's what I did.

Originally I was running the 2 S1's I started with on 120V.  I wanted to see how much they were drawing from the wall - so I ran them thru Belkin Insight monitors:
http://www.belkin.com/conserve/insight/    - I was running each S1 on it's own power supply (Corsairs).

So the Insight monitor was telling me exactly what the S1 is pulling from the wall thru the power supply.  What I found was that each S1 pulls about 405 watts from the wall when it's overclocked.   I started off running one of those Block Erupter cubes - that thing bounces up and down as it's hashing bounces up and down - and it's also a power pig compared to the S1.  It pulls about 380 watts from the wall - for like one sixth the hash power.

Because I only had two 20amp 120V circuits where all my computer stuff is situated - and I have other equipment running - I was getting close to maxing out my available wattage (amps available) - by going up to more S1 units.  So I decided to upgrade and put in a 240V drop.  I put in one 30 amp 240V line with a 30amp twistlock plug.   To break this out I got one of the APC "metering" PDU's off of Ebay for a really good price  (it's a rack mount - what they call 'zero' U unit that is designed to mount alongside of a rack - not take up a U space).

The metering PDU has two 16amp breakers on it - and has an LCD panel that shows the amp draw for each of it's legs.  So now I have an idea of how much I'm drawing on each leg and how much juice I'm pulling to support these things.

There are advantages to staying with 110V/120V - in that there are more "consumer" level electricity usage monitoring devices available for those voltages than there are for the 220V/240V stuff - at least here in the US.   I think there are 240V versions of a lot of the same devices available overseas - but then  you're talking about plug incompatibility issues.

My S1's seem to be consistent on that ~400W - 410W usage number when they're overclocked.  So that's what I've been using to calculate how to distribute the load.  I've seen people say they're drawing 500-530watts - but that's not what I've seen.   I haven't run the meters across ALL of my S1's though - and I do notice that different units run at different temps.  That might indicate a different wattage draw.  I've been attributing it to different levels of work quality as far as how the heat sinks are applied though.

Oh yeah - and I should add that I'm going away from the Corsairs and going with using Dell 750W server supplies and the Geckoscience breakout board.  Seems like a much more reliable/redundant setup and once you get the boards the supplies are replaceable for dirt cheap money.  I've found I can run one S1 on one supply and keep the supply's cooling fan turned all the way down and keep it quiet.  The Corsairs run hotter and I've had issues with one of them cutting off occasionally.  Plus the Dell supplies just take up less rack U space than the PC type supplies do.

Hope all of this is helpful.
jeppe

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 10:15:42 AM

Can someone give me advice on design?  

1) What kind of line should I have my electrician run off my panel?
2) What PDU to get?
3) Which PSU and how many S1's per PSU and per 120v circuit?
4) What racking to get?

I don't have what could be considered a "farm" (yet)  - I've got 5 S1's right now.

But here's what I did.

Originally I was running the 2 S1's I started with on 120V.  I wanted to see how much they were drawing from the wall - so I ran them thru Belkin Insight monitors:
http://www.belkin.com/conserve/insight/    - I was running each S1 on it's own power supply (Corsairs).

So the Insight monitor was telling me exactly what the S1 is pulling from the wall thru the power supply.  What I found was that each S1 pulls about 405 watts from the wall when it's overclocked.   I started off running one of those Block Erupter cubes - that thing bounces up and down as it's hashing bounces up and down - and it's also a power pig compared to the S1.  It pulls about 380 watts from the wall - for like one sixth the hash power.

Because I only had two 20amp 120V circuits where all my computer stuff is situated - and I have other equipment running - I was getting close to maxing out my available wattage (amps available) - by going up to more S1 units.  So I decided to upgrade and put in a 240V drop.  I put in one 30 amp 240V line with a 30amp twistlock plug.   To break this out I got one of the APC "metering" PDU's off of Ebay for a really good price  (it's a rack mount - what they call 'zero' U unit that is designed to mount alongside of a rack - not take up a U space).

The metering PDU has two 16amp breakers on it - and has an LCD panel that shows the amp draw for each of it's legs.  So now I have an idea of how much I'm drawing on each leg and how much juice I'm pulling to support these things.

There are advantages to staying with 110V/120V - in that there are more "consumer" level electricity usage monitoring devices available for those voltages than there are for the 220V/240V stuff - at least here in the US.   I think there are 240V versions of a lot of the same devices available overseas - but then  you're talking about plug incompatibility issues.

My S1's seem to be consistent on that ~400W - 410W usage number when they're overclocked.  So that's what I've been using to calculate how to distribute the load.  I've seen people say they're drawing 500-530watts - but that's not what I've seen.   I haven't run the meters across ALL of my S1's though - and I do notice that different units run at different temps.  That might indicate a different wattage draw.  I've been attributing it to different levels of work quality as far as how the heat sinks are applied though.

Oh yeah - and I should add that I'm going away from the Corsairs and going with using Dell 750W server supplies and the Geckoscience breakout board.  Seems like a much more reliable/redundant setup and once you get the boards the supplies are replaceable for dirt cheap money.  I've found I can run one S1 on one supply and keep the supply's cooling fan turned all the way down and keep it quiet.  The Corsairs run hotter and I've had issues with one of them cutting off occasionally.  Plus the Dell supplies just take up less rack U space than the PC type supplies do.

Hope all of this is helpful.

How did u turn down the coolig fan from the dell 750 watt psu ? Im running few of those and they are a bit loud
southerngentuk

Activity: 1316
Merit: 253

Sugars.zone | DatingFi - Earn for Posting

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 11:20:08 AM

How did u turn down the coolig fan from the dell 750 watt psu ? Im running few of those and they are a bit loud
Depends on the model but this may help
I'm using server PSU's. Dell 1570W one's. They power 3 ants... (2 oc'ed and 1 normal freq).... Can get them to work all 3 oc'ed... But it will take me some time... As the PSU has 5 Output pins which have a max of 312W per pin. I would need to connect the 5 pins in order to get the full 1570W out of it..without worrying that I will ruin my PSU. (Happened to some 930W one's I had...I wasn't aware that they had a max W on the output pins).

I didn't think to use Server PSU's. Yes, the price per watt is remarkably cheaper than your typical desktop PSU. Looking at pictures, I can't tell how you would be able to use this. Is there a breakout cable that attaches to the only port I can see?

On this forum you'll find loads of different PSU conversions.... Just one example of many:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1750411

You'll need to jumper a few pins together... but it's really REALLY easy.
Then you can opt for another jumper (of 2 pins) and that will lower the fan speed.

The PSU I have....it sounds like a boeing 747 on the runway... so that jumper saves me a load of headache!
Installing a couple of 1k resistors will reduce fan speed depending on load.

see http://www.raptortechnique.com/12vpower.htm

I thought thiers was a little messy thou, so I made up some resistor banks that just plug on.

SUGAR
██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
▄████████████████████████▄
███████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀███████
█████▀██████▀▀██████▀█████
██████████████████████████
█████████████████████▄████
████████▄████████▄████████
▀████████████████████████▀
▀▀████████████████████▀▀

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
███████████████████████████
██████               ██████
██████   ▄████▀      ██████
██████▄▄▄███▀   ▄█   ██████
██████████▀   ▄███   ██████
████████▀   ▄█████▄▄▄██████
██████▀   ▄███████▀▀▀██████
██████   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   ██████
██████               ██████
Backed By
ZetaChain

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
████████████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
██████ ▄▀██████████  ███████
███████▄▀▄▀██████  █████████
█████████▄▀▄▀██  ███████████
███████████▄▀▄ █████████████
███████████  ▄▀▄▀███████████
█████████  ████▄▀▄▀█████████
███████  ████████▄▀ ████████
████████████████████████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
jeppe

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 11:27:54 AM

Depends on the model but this may help
I'm using server PSU's. Dell 1570W one's. They power 3 ants... (2 oc'ed and 1 normal freq).... Can get them to work all 3 oc'ed... But it will take me some time... As the PSU has 5 Output pins which have a max of 312W per pin. I would need to connect the 5 pins in order to get the full 1570W out of it..without worrying that I will ruin my PSU. (Happened to some 930W one's I had...I wasn't aware that they had a max W on the output pins).

I didn't think to use Server PSU's. Yes, the price per watt is remarkably cheaper than your typical desktop PSU. Looking at pictures, I can't tell how you would be able to use this. Is there a breakout cable that attaches to the only port I can see?

On this forum you'll find loads of different PSU conversions.... Just one example of many:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1750411

You'll need to jumper a few pins together... but it's really REALLY easy.
Then you can opt for another jumper (of 2 pins) and that will lower the fan speed.

The PSU I have....it sounds like a boeing 747 on the runway... so that jumper saves me a load of headache!
Installing a couple of 1k resistors will reduce fan speed depending on load.

see http://www.raptortechnique.com/12vpower.htm

I thought thiers was a little messy thou, so I made up some resistor banks that just plug on.

Thanks!!
JT
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: