Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 05:49:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is there any reliable email provider that allows creation of addresses on Tor?  (Read 579 times)
20kevin20 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1597

View Profile
June 12, 2020, 10:48:21 AM

I've been looking for months now for an e-mail provider that allows me to create an address through Tor without having to give any personal information. There are some Tor providers out there that I found, but most of them are either unknown, new or non-working and I'd rather go for a reliable provider instead.

For example, there have been a few providers on Tor that closed their business after a few years and I honestly don't want to end up having my e-mail addresses closed down and migrating from a provider to another every now and then.

ProtonMail even has an Onion link, but upon registration they ask you to either pay or verify through SMS which I'd like to avoid. So.. is there any free email provider that fits my needs? Grin

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Heisenberg_Hunter
Legendary

Activity: 1583
Merit: 1276

Heisenberg Design Services

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2020, 12:41:37 PM
Merited by 20kevin20 (7), TryNinja (2), o_e_l_e_o (2), tyz (1)

It's been kind of difficult to find a email provider without providing our private information in the recent days, with the primary problem for these email providers being the spam emails which gets created every now and then. Protonmail has a wonderful free-to-use and highly encrypted email service which is being ruined due to the SMS verification. But, the team claims that the number provided for verification is no way related to the anonymous account which we used to create. If that seems to be a hindrance, the second one which we need to consider is the decentralization and privacy which is of utmost concern to many of us.

Decentralization can be achieved through the usage of blockchain based email services which aren't really in the brighter spot at the moment and many of them are probably being only in the beta stage. But you need to note that it's quite difficult to use these email providers for signing up in clearnet websites such as Instagram as these guys are the culprits behind de-anonymizing various individuals and I have experienced various issues as such. Keeping aside the protonmail (the most famous provider), you could use some of these which I have personally tried a few months back for an anonymous project :

1. Mail2Tor - mail2tor2zyjdctd.onion - Mail2Tor has been an alternative to Protonmail and has been one among the better email providers for the TOR users. They have the ability to send emails to clearweb users as well as TOR users. Apart from this, they don't really demand for any personal information and just need an email name and a password. I have used them for a few months and they have been all good to go.

2. cock.li - cockmailwwfvrtqj.onion - Probably if you have used Dark Web for quite sometime you would have come across the user named Vincent Canfield who do own the email provider and other NSFW stuffs. I wouldn't recommend to use this due to the javascript usage and the transparency the owner has on the email.

3. Torbox - torbox3uiot6wchz.onion - TOR Box as the name suggests is limited to dark web/TORBox users and they wouldn't be able to send emails to gmail or other clearnet providers. Never expect a clearnet version, as they are highly anonymize and would always remain within TOR itself.

4. Guerrilla Mail - grrmailb3fxpjbwm.onion - Disposable email address and secure enough.

Other email providers which I have personally used and are recommended are Onionmail - 7w65g63fgumvpuvd.onion, SecMail - secmailw453j7piv.onion, CTemplar- ctemplar42u6fulx.onion (requires Invite)
20kevin20 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 15, 2020, 02:32:17 PM

~
Thank you! I came across most of these, out of which I liked Mail2Tor the most as it brings the option to send to & receive from clearnet e-mail addresses too. However, they do have some issues every now and then which really makes me question the reliability of this provider. Putting that aside however, it does look like a very good alternative. Onionmail and SecMail also look interesting, I'll give them a try.

Which one would you personally choose between Onionmail, Mail2Tor and SecMail? Smiley

The rest of them, besides Guerrilla Mail (which only allows you to compose messages on the clearnet address) I don't really feel like any of them fits my needs. I'm mostly looking to create clearnet accounts like you said using them, so Tor-only addresses aren't an option nor are other JS-enabled or less-known providers.
Heisenberg_Hunter
Legendary

Activity: 1583
Merit: 1276

Heisenberg Design Services

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2020, 04:06:51 PM

However, they do have some issues every now and then which really makes me question the reliability of this provider.
I would say, you can go with Mail2Tor as they have been one of the highly used mail services from the TOR community and they have been doing great for all these years. If the mail is needed for personal security reasons, i would blindly go with Protonmail (signed from clearnet - which doesn't require a mobile number for verification) Protonmail offers greater lengths of security while comparing the other mail providers. But other than that, Mail2Tor doesn't have any logs of the relays in any of their servers hence even during adverse conditions of being seized only the mail software would be compromised while the user data is being stored in a hidden TOR node.

Which one would you personally choose between Onionmail, Mail2Tor and SecMail? Smiley
I would go with Mail2Tor as I didn't face any problems associated with it for past half a year of usage. But note that, I would always go with Protonmail (signed from clearnet) for personal usage. Why don't you sign up for Protonmail from a clearnet public Wi-Fi? If you don't go with that, Mail2Tor would be the perfect alternative as they have been suggested all over through various privacy centric communities.
20kevin20 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 15, 2020, 11:19:35 PM

~
I'll most likely go with ProtonMail for personal accounts and Mail2Tor for accounts I don't want to be linked in any way to my approximate location, name, IP etc. I would use clearnet to create a Proton account but that would basically expose my location, which I'd like to be unknown at all for some accounts.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: