Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 05:14:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can I send to an output that can only be spent to one of two addresses?  (Read 712 times)
laxori666 (OP)

Activity: 71
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 10:11:24 PM

Is the following scenario possible?

I want to send money to a script. This script will require knowing a private key to spend, as usual, but the script is only valid if the money is being sent to one of two addresses. That is, if the transaction has more than one output, it is invalid. If the transaction's output is a standard script to address A or to address B then it is valid. If the transaction output value is any less than x, it is invalid.

In other words, it seems the scripts serve to validate that you can spend the output, but then the output can be spent however the claimant(s) want. Is there any way to limit how the outputs are spent? All this without requiring a trusted third party of course.

Gib ShinyCoins: STGsZtHw4DRUby8aYCKjiGReFt3JU94YnT

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
fbueller

Activity: 412
Merit: 266

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 11:38:53 PM

A 2-of-2 address, where the oracle only signs if it's address A or B.. But enforcing it in the script would be better. I wonder if script could do it - I've been playing with them recently, I might try see if I can produce a funky transaction that would achieve this.

Bitwasp Developer.
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 01:12:17 PM

Not the way you are thinking, no.  The script checker only looks at two things, the output script that is being redeemed, and the arbitrary data provided by the redeemer.  It has no view of the transaction amount, and it has no view of the upcoming output.

And it wouldn't help you at all if it could be done.  What you should do is make a 1-of-2 multisig address and send to it now instead of later.  If these other keys are more secure than the key that is receiving the money (like on a webserver), you should move the funds out quickly.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
laxori666 (OP)

Activity: 71
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 12:11:21 AM

As I thought.

And it wouldn't help you at all if it could be done.  What you should do is make a 1-of-2 multisig address and send to it now instead of later.  If these other keys are more secure than the key that is receiving the money (like on a webserver), you should move the funds out quickly.
It would help. It means the network would verify that the money can only be sent to one of two addresses. A third-party would have no interest in hacking the keys because they still wouldn't be able to send the outputs to their wallet. They would have to hack the keys for the transaction and the keys for one of the destination wallets, at least, and the latter can be cold wallets.

Gib ShinyCoins: STGsZtHw4DRUby8aYCKjiGReFt3JU94YnT
Cryddit
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1122

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 12:32:19 AM

it would be a useful facility.  As you say it would reduce the motive/rewards for theft.  Unless the thief also controls one of the output addresses, the key to the input could not be used to directly get the money for herself. 

Also it would be a useful escrow-ish ability, along with outputs spendable only after a certain date.

mustyoshi

Activity: 287
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 01:07:01 AM

What would be the practical applications of such an interesting transaction?

Like, I create a transaction that can be redeemed by either myself or you? I could even see a thing where you release such a transaction, and an nlocked one for the 2nd next block that spends it back to yourself in a 1 of 1 tx?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: