Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 09:56:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Suggestion: Make it just a little more difficult to create a new account.  (Read 707 times)
eddie13
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 2262

BTC or BUST

View Profile
June 27, 2020, 03:56:56 AM

Implement guest/anonymous posting with no account IMO..

Less barriers to free speech please and ty..  Wink

Chancellor on Brink of Second Bailout for Banks
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3304
Merit: 16604

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2020, 07:09:34 AM

That was possible when the forum started (Anonymous Guest or Guest with name). My guess is it was disabled to reduce spam.

Many websites make it difficult to use them. More and more sites even require an account to be able to read something, some forums require an account to see posted attachments, and the last site I joined took several weeks to approve my account. I'm with theymos on this: these barriers are terrible! Most of the time I leave the site. Don't make it harder for real users!

FIFA worldcup

Activity: 1134
Merit: 105

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2020, 10:12:18 AM

That was possible when the forum started (Anonymous Guest or Guest with name). My guess is it was disabled to reduce spam.

Many websites make it difficult to use them. More and more sites even require an account to be able to read something, some forums require an account to see posted attachments, and the last site I joined took several weeks to approve my account. I'm with theymos on this: these barriers are terrible! Most of the time I leave the site. Don't make it harder for real users!

These restrictions are mostly found when we join facebook groups where they want us to read or view video or perform a little survey before joining. This is just annoying and does not suit a forum which is about bitcoin and decentralized currencies. We already have enough measures in control so after making the account no one can misuse the system.
actmyname
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 2504

Spear the bees

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2020, 11:34:49 AM

So then 'free' accounts would need longer timers than my suggested amounts.

And it may just succeed in normal good people saying fuck it. I won't bother.
That's the thing: when considering the implementation of new regulation or wide-scale changes, we should consider whether it's worth affecting every single person in order to stop a few. It makes it even more difficult to introduce some policy if there is an easy way of bypassing it, which makes our anti-abuse process turn into a game of cat & mouse.

What is the real intent of this?
What are the gains, and will they be temporary or permanent?
Are they worth making it more difficult for new users to register?

Questions to consider.

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: