Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 06:50:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Silver Wallets a new kind of physical storage for your bitcoin  (Read 38740 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Nightowlace (OP)

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2014, 06:55:35 PM

It's a rather odd feature to put on the coin. I don't agree with the decision.

Otherwise, nice looking coin!

Coins traditionally display history and significant events/things. the 51% issue is a significant thing in Bitcoin and is worth memorializing on a silver coin.

Fair enough, I'm not saying it shouldn't be memorialized.  I'm just wondering if the designer of the coin can comment on exactly what is being memorialized.  So far all I've learned is 'something to do with the 51% attack'.  But then again, I understand that I can go read the paper if I really want to understand.

Why does anyone memorialize anything? From war heroes to baseball players, from symbols to comic heros, from words to flowers, the sun, moon and stars? Because they like it, it means something, it has to do with something etc. After reading the white paper and understanding it to the point my education level can comprehend I enjoyed this specific (formula, sum, equation, whatever it's called) and what it had to do with. I like that to the lamen eye it is complex, incomprehensible, and gives a little insight into the complexity of bitcoin.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
tspacepilot
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1076

I may write code in exchange for bitcoins.

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 07:59:22 PM

Coins traditionally display history and significant events/things. the 51% issue is a significant thing in Bitcoin and is worth memorializing on a silver coin.

Fair enough, I'm not saying it shouldn't be memorialized.  I'm just wondering if the designer of the coin can comment on exactly what is being memorialized.  So far all I've learned is 'something to do with the 51% attack'.  But then again, I understand that I can go read the paper if I really want to understand.

Why does anyone memorialize anything? From war heroes to baseball players, from symbols to comic heros, from words to flowers, the sun, moon and stars? Because they like it, it means something, it has to do with something etc. After reading the white paper and understanding it to the point my education level can comprehend I enjoyed this specific (formula, sum, equation, whatever it's called) and what it had to do with. I like that to the lamen eye it is complex, incomprehensible, and gives a little insight into the complexity of bitcoin.

Um, so it sounds like the emphasis is on "little" here.  Smiley

And I'm not saying it doesn't look nice.  Sounds like learning what it refers to is up to me.  Cheers!
Nightowlace (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2014, 08:06:25 PM

Fair enough, I'm not saying it shouldn't be memorialized.  I'm just wondering if the designer of the coin can comment on exactly what is being memorialized.  So far all I've learned is 'something to do with the 51% attack'.  But then again, I understand that I can go read the paper if I really want to understand.

And I'm not saying it doesn't look nice.  Sounds like learning what it refers to is up to me.  Cheers!

Ugh I have you a direct quote as to what it means from the white paper.
tspacepilot
Legendary

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 08:19:32 PM

You can say "ugh" if you want, but your "direct quote" wasn't very informative.  You vaguely mentioned an "infinite tail" of a distribution and "rearranging" something.  You referred to a sum as an equation.  An explanation of what it means would simply say what the values of g,k,lambda, refer to in context.  I think it's quite okay for you to simply say "i don't know, it looks pretty".  But pretending that you explained something isn't really helpful.
TookDk
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 1062

One coin to rule them all

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2014, 08:19:55 PM

Absolutely, I live in a country where there is tradition to put all kind of historical stuff on the tail of the coins, everything from from bridges, statues, famous battles.
Content from Satoshis whitepaper on a bitcoin follows this idea. I can relate to Nightowlace's idea here.

Cryptography is one of the few things you can truly trust.
tspacepilot
Legendary

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 08:36:32 PM

Ok, so then I went back to the paper and read the relevant section so I can go ahead and clarify for the purposes of posterity. Smiley

1) This does not have to do with the 51% attack.  This section of the paper is about calculating the probability that a node can spend bitcoin and then maliciously include a transaction that reverses that spend in a subsequent block.  The high-level observation is that the attacker necessarily has to start behind the blockchain because it has to wait for the first transaction to be included in a block before trying to maliciously undo it.

2) The "infinite distribution" referred to is a poisson distribution (a random distribution) so there is an infinite tail.  The particular rearrangement just has to with manipulating the expression of the probability in such a way that there's not an infinite sum to calculate.  By rearranging the sum, we can calculate a finite sum from 0 to k

3) It looks like the coin as printed actually has an error, Satoshi's paper has q= 'probability that he attacker will find the next block' whereas the coin has a 'g', which is undefined in Satoshi's paper.

Cheers!
Nightowlace (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2014, 08:51:26 PM

You can say "ugh" if you want, but your "direct quote" wasn't very informative.  You vaguely mentioned an "infinite tail" of a distribution and "rearranging" something.  You referred to a sum as an equation.  An explanation of what it means would simply say what the values of g,k,lambda, refer to in context.  I think it's quite okay for you to simply say "i don't know, it looks pretty".  But pretending that you explained something isn't really helpful.

I said that here;

The equation is appealing to the eye

Here;

I enjoyed this specific (formula, sum, equation, whatever it's called) and what it had to do with. I like that to the lamen eye it is complex, incomprehensible, and gives a little insight into the complexity of bitcoin.

Clearly you are in a mood today to show everyone just how wrong I am, how smart you are, how my coin doesn't make any sense and how you proved it.
So congrats, I had the wrong understanding of the meaning of this sum (which I previously stated correct me if I'm wrong and that it was my understanding to my educational level as this is not my area of studies). You obviously are more educated in this area than I am.
The thing is, I still like the coin, the design, and will be moving forward with it.

Oh and thank you for pointing out the fact that these coins will be minted with an error. I guess now just like Casascius I have my own error coin (unintentionally) and both were do to incorrect or lack of letters. Weird how we are all human and all make mistakes huh?

Wink
tspacepilot
Legendary

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 09:09:01 PM

Clearly you are in a mood today to show everyone just how wrong I am, how smart you are, how my coin doesn't make any sense and how you proved it.
So congrats, I had the wrong understanding of the meaning of this sum (which I previously stated correct me if I'm wrong and that it was my understanding to my educational level as this is not my area of studies). You obviously are more educated in this area than I am.
The thing is, I still like the coin, the design, and will be moving forward with it.

Oh and thank you for pointing out the fact that these coins will be minted with an error. I guess now just like Casascius I have my own error coin (unintentionally) and both were do to incorrect or lack of letters. Weird how we are all human and all make mistakes huh?

Wink

Well, I'd characterize my mood as inquisitive as to the reference of this sum on your nice-looking silver coins.  In trying to find out more, I'd characterize your response as defensive.  Because I simply wanted to get to the bottom of it, I went and read the paper.  I hope my clarification helped.  Cheers.
Nightowlace (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2014, 09:19:37 PM

Wink

Well, I'd characterize my mood as inquisitive as to the reference of this sum on your nice-looking silver coins.  In trying to find out more, I'd characterize your response as defensive.  Because I simply wanted to get to the bottom of it, I went and read the paper.  I hope my clarification helped.  Cheers.

I did go back and read it and it is more representative of someone trying to double spend or stop a spend of their own transaction. When I first read it I mistook attacker as a reference to 51%

I am defensive. After I repeatedly stated it was appealing to me and that's why I used it. And I also stated that it was my understanding (correct me if I'm wrong). Why I'm defensive is instead of coming on here and actually being helpful and politely correcting, you did so in a very condescending way which negates any actual helpfulness that you're trying to provide.

So thank you for the correction, I do appreciate having a better understanding. Also thank you for pointing out the error. I actually emailed the mint and hope they haven't gotten that far. Not only that but the drawing I sent them it actually had a q not a g so hopefully they will make a new die and not charge me. Next time try not to be so condescending an people won't be so defensive.
tspacepilot
Legendary

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 11:49:31 PM

Wink

I did go back and read it and it is more representative of someone trying to double spend or stop a spend of their own transaction. When I first read it I mistook attacker as a reference to 51%

I am defensive. After I repeatedly stated it was appealing to me and that's why I used it. And I also stated that it was my understanding (correct me if I'm wrong). Why I'm defensive is instead of coming on here and actually being helpful and politely correcting, you did so in a very condescending way which negates any actual helpfulness that you're trying to provide.

So thank you for the correction, I do appreciate having a better understanding. Also thank you for pointing out the error. I actually emailed the mint and hope they haven't gotten that far. Not only that but the drawing I sent them it actually had a q not a g so hopefully they will make a new die and not charge me. Next time try not to be so condescending an people won't be so defensive.

Sounds like we achieved a good outcome even if emotions almost got in the way.  BTW, I followed this thread because I like you're product.  I'm not out to get you.   Personally, I can't afford one at the moment, but if I could, I'd probably try to get one of these with the sum on it, mainly to memorialize this interesting discussion and the fact that I learned something from it.
Nightowlace (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2014, 04:21:45 PM

*update*
The coin will have the correct sum containing a q and not a g
tspacepilot
Legendary

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 09:38:56 PM

*update*
The coin will have the correct sum containing a q and not a g

Groovy!  Glad there's a concrete positive outcome from our discussion yesterday.  If you ever want to send me a christmas present, I think I know just what I'd like Smiley  (j/k)
Blazed
Casascius Addict
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1119

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2014, 01:42:00 PM

We have some of the first design still in stock...better get them before they are gone!  You can msg us via the forums or order from www.silverwallets.com
 Grin

Also sad that I have to type this, but we will never send a random PM asking for payment watch out for those scammers who make similar accounts and dupe people!!
AmDD
Legendary

Activity: 1027
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 01:57:35 PM

Maybe this has been asked and if so sorry.
On the website it says 1 wallet is $80 and includes shipping, but when I try to pay its asking for $104 in btc. Where did the extra $24 come from?

BTC tip jar: 18EKpbrcXxbpzAZv3T58ccGcVis7W7JR9w
LTC tip jar: Lgp8ERykAgx6Q8NdMqpi5vnVoUMD2hYn2a
Nightowlace (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2014, 02:12:54 PM

On the website it says 1 wallet is $80 and includes shipping, but when I try to pay its asking for $104 in btc. Where did the extra $24 come from?

Hmmm, I just tried it as well and it's wrong. I'm sorry I will get that fixed asap. If you submit an order, send us your address so we can refund the difference until we fix the issue.
AmDD
Legendary

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 02:23:22 PM

Hmmm, I just tried it as well and it's wrong. I'm sorry I will get that fixed asap. If you submit an order, send us your address so we can refund the difference until we fix the issue.

Great, thank you! I'll put in my order and send a PM.

Nightowlace (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2014, 02:25:22 PM

Perfect sorry for the confusion. Growing pains I guess, lol
AmDD
Legendary

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 02:34:21 PM

Perfect sorry for the confusion. Growing pains I guess, lol

No problem, thanks for the great customer service!

alexrossi
Legendary

Activity: 3724
Merit: 1739

Join the world-leading crypto sportsbook NOW!

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 02:48:06 PM

Do you have already an ETA for the release (& shipping) of the new coin?

▄▄███████▄███████▄▄▄
 █████████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄▄
███████████████
       ▀▀███▄
███████████████
          ▀███
 █████████████
             ███
███████████▀▀               ███
███                         ███
███                         ███
 ███                       ███
  ███▄                   ▄███
   ▀███▄▄             ▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀▀
         ▀▀▀███████▀▀▀
░░░████▄▄▄▄
░▄▄░
▄▄███████▄▀█████▄▄
██▄████▌▐█▌█████▄██
████▀▄▄▄▌███░▄▄▄▀████
██████▄▄▄█▄▄▄██████
█░███████░▐█▌░███████░█
▀▀██▀░██░▐█▌░██░▀██▀▀
▄▄▄░█▀░█░██░▐█▌░██░█░▀█░▄▄▄
██▀░░░░▀██░▐█▌░██▀░░░░▀██
▀██
█████▄███▀▀██▀▀███▄███████▀
▀███████████████████████▀
▀▀▀▀███████████▀▀▀▀
▄▄██████▄▄
▀█▀
█  █▀█▀
  ▄█  ██  █▄  ▄
█ ▄█ █▀█▄▄█▀█ █▄ █
▀▄█ █ ███▄▄▄▄███ █ █▄▀
▀▀ █    ▄▄▄▄    █ ▀▀
   ██████   █
█     ▀▀     █
▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
▄ ██████▀▀██████ ▄
▄████████ ██ ████████▄
▀▀███████▄▄███████▀▀
▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
█████████████LEADING CRYPTO SPORTSBOOK & CASINO█████████████
MULTI
CURRENCY
1500+
CASINO GAMES
CRYPTO EXCLUSIVE
CLUBHOUSE
FAST & SECURE
PAYMENTS
..PLAY NOW!..
Nightowlace (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2014, 03:31:25 PM

Do you have already an ETA for the release (& shipping) of the new coin?

We should be ready to ship those in 4 weeks. They are recutting the die and then production of coins is typically 2-3 weeks.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: