Bitcoin Forum
August 31, 2024, 09:59:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Stashware: a secure and permanent decentralized storage platform  (Read 1371 times)
bjlanza

Activity: 62
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 16, 2020, 10:30:34 PM
Last edit: July 16, 2020, 10:50:18 PM by bjlanza

A new version of our whitepaper has been released. Don't forget to check it out.
bjlanza

View Profile
July 17, 2020, 10:16:19 PM

Today we are going to review Arweave, a project where it's vision Stashware has greatly improved.

Arweave is a blockchain storage project similar to IPFS/FileCoin. Its vision is to solve the problems of the Internet, where it believes that data can be easily changed, regulated and lost. Arweave hopes to be a complementary system to the Internet, using the blockchain approach to permanently store data, which cannot be changed, and using token incentives to achieve sustainability. It proposes a number of technical innovations to address existing blockchain issues, including: BHL, WL, BlockWeave, Proof of Access, Wildfire, BlocksShadows.

These technical points complement each other to form a complete and reasonable solution.
In general, Arweave proposes a number of solutions to the current blockchain problem, and deeply contemplate the use of token incentive mechanism to solve it, thus achieving a dynamic balance. For example, if each node does not need to store all blocks of data, what data does it need to store? Arweave’s incentive mechanism leads people to store "rare blocks" so that they have a higher probability of getting blocks out.

That’s where the economic incentive comes in.
The wildfire rating system also uses tokens to motivate users to respond to requests and thus make the overall system better. It’s great from a conceptual point of view, and it hits a lot of the sore points of the current chain.
bjlanza

View Profile
July 17, 2020, 10:20:03 PM

Weaknesses of Arweave

The actual application scenario is too narrow for developers to use, and the Arweave feature can be applied to HTML5 web pages. According to the security, establish decentralized H5- APP. Arweave‘s data are all stored on blockchain. In practice, however, we have a narrower set of scenarios for issuing this depository. As you can see, the most stored in Arweave at the moment are screen-shots of some of the anti-government comments from Twitter. At the same time, Arweave’s feature is that you can never tamper with it. This is especially difficult when you’re developing an application because if you upload it to Arweave, you have to make sure that there are no errors. If there are errors, even a single punctuation mark, the content you’ve uploaded will be invalidated and you will have to re-upload it, which will result in a lot of garbage.

In addition, due to the openness of blockchain, the content posted on Arweave is open to the whole society, which is not suitable for uploading personal content. Although the team says Arweave is IPFS-compatible developers building on IPFS can seamlessly transition to Arweave. However, if developers develop based on Arweave, they will not be able to directly update their HTML5 apps. Developers must simply abandon the old version, and there is bound to be some inconvenience in re-uploading the new version. The business model is relatively simple, which may trigger a price war for homogenized projects.

Arweave focuses on one-time payment and access to permanent file storage. This model is relatively simple, but there is a risk that it will lead to homogenized projects that use the same storage concept and start a price war. In addition, as mentioned at the beginning, it requires the integration of so many new technologies to form a complete and reasonable solution. Various technical points need to be supported and supplemented each other, and it may not be of great significance to draw out a single point for reference. In the current situation, its token mechanism has been preliminary able to run the version, but its actual business scenario application function. On June 15, 2020, the first storage function directly over 80KB large files was available, all with test code. So the value of its practical application is still far away. Recent code has also been desperately trying to fix various file storage synchronization bugs.

This is basically its main function, and if it doesn’t have an OK, it’s actually of very little value. And above do application development, it is basically impossible, its intelligent contract application development with JS API is a complete simulation demo.

There were only 2 small JS files, and they were not updated for 7 months. Recently, they were suddenly updated for 5 days. All of them were warning and annotated.
Joseba

Activity: 53
Merit: 1

View Profile
July 20, 2020, 10:22:55 AM

Stashware Roadmap

One of the most secure elements of a project is its future prospects.

Therefore we invite you to visit the stashware roadmap on our website.
https://stashware.net/about-roadmap.html

After intensive development, we have a full year of improvements and new features in the future.

For this third quarter we set these important objectives to achieve

Testnet development and demonstration
Front end development including explorer, gateway
Back end development
Testnet Beta version

Get to know all the news on our website and on our social networks

What an exciting moment, i suppose. I mean, in this quarter you will set quite important issues for the success of the project. Could you be more explicit with the Testnet and with this two points that appear in the roadmap https://stashware.net/about-roadmap.html?

- Mainnet release phase 1 with 3 seed nodes.
- Mainnet confirmation and public phase.
bjlanza

View Profile
July 20, 2020, 11:02:31 PM

What an exciting moment, i suppose. I mean, in this quarter you will set quite important issues for the success of the project. Could you be more explicit with the Testnet and with this two points that appear in the roadmap https://stashware.net/about-roadmap.html?

- Mainnet release phase 1 with 3 seed nodes.
- Mainnet confirmation and public phase.

This weekend we have a recap with the Developer Team, and we are in the tracks of our planning. Of course it demands lot of effort and lack of sleep but still not barrier ahead.

Well soon we will launch the inside private testnet to start looking for performance issues and solve the expected problems that should happen.

After that and with the insights of the testnet we will launch the Mainnet.

In the economic paper that you can read at  https://stashware.net/token-economic.pdf

First we will test the production ready release of Stashware that is the first point you say. And then Mainnet public phare.

Just to remember that there are 2 stages.

Stage one (Mainnet phase-1): This phase is about 15 days. During this phase, 20 nodes will be nominated and 8640 (576*15) blocks will be created and total reward will be approx. 11,000,000 SWR. Namely, for each block 1,300 SWR is given to the miners.
Stage two: Mainnet phase-2 mining will be around 49,000,000 SWR within the following 20 years. That is the public phase that any node with enough staking of tokens can participate in the validation of blocks.
Miiike
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1059

Wait... What?

View Profile
July 22, 2020, 05:51:01 PM

--snip--
Next, about project details, I've see your website, but just to be clear before we move to a more detailed question, this is a data storage, like a cloud storage, and not a physical items storage in sense of a warehousing unit?

--snip--

Because yes this is permanent distributed storage of data. So yes more cloud data. More focused in backup or permanent documents that you want to store, that daily synchronized data like One Drive or Dropbox. Similar to Filecoin but with several features and improvements.

One of your key feature is the security and (one may say) impenetrability of your storage. I don't think I will goes down to one-on-one comparison between you and other cloud storage services, but one that comes to my mind, though, will there be a fail-safe method? Like for example one forgot their password, or (in a very likely cases) the storage owner passed away with their files encrypted in your service, which the family or next of kin was trying to retrieve (with or without the belated's permission is not a matter to be considered in this case) said files. Will there be a method to facilitate this?
bjlanza

View Profile
July 23, 2020, 01:09:13 AM

--snip--
Next, about project details, I've see your website, but just to be clear before we move to a more detailed question, this is a data storage, like a cloud storage, and not a physical items storage in sense of a warehousing unit?

--snip--

Because yes this is permanent distributed storage of data. So yes more cloud data. More focused in backup or permanent documents that you want to store, that daily synchronized data like One Drive or Dropbox. Similar to Filecoin but with several features and improvements.

One of your key feature is the security and (one may say) impenetrability of your storage. I don't think I will goes down to one-on-one comparison between you and other cloud storage services, but one that comes to my mind, though, will there be a fail-safe method? Like for example one forgot their password, or (in a very likely cases) the storage owner passed away with their files encrypted in your service, which the family or next of kin was trying to retrieve (with or without the belated's permission is not a matter to be considered in this case) said files. Will there be a method to facilitate this?

Great to see you again Miike and as always I'ts a pleasure to answer your questions.

The Big Dilemma, that a closest friends resume with No keys - no crypto.

The question is both philosophical and practical.

Decentralized systems give users a responsibility that they are not used to, which is to be the guardian and custodian of their own security. People are not used to having to guard something unique which, if lost, makes it impossible to recover what they are guarding. How many crypto currencies have been lost because of this.

People also do not make an inventory of the digital assets they have and how to protect them and above all bequeath them in the face of unfortunate accidents and unforeseen events.

As that is known, Stashware will incorporate a decentralized key management system to help anyone and especially those with less knowledge to easily use the platform.
The systems currently proposed are the most popular and efficient in terms of security and convenience. What is a telephone number, which often already works as a factor of identity. or an intelligent identity document, such as NFC passports.

Our value proposal is to offer a decentralized system of permanent storage. And that is why we have to offer the greatest possible ease of use.

Experienced users who are jealous of their privacy will be able to function as usual. Being the custodians of their passwords, being one or several wallet addresses being as anonymous as they can be.

And those people who prefer either for convenience or knowledge to use such a decentralized key manager, but having to provide information to identify them, and authenticate them unequivocally.

This is contemplated within our development plan, but after the launch, as we iterate and add new features.

We will also address the issue of key accountability and custody. In the end, if we want people to use Stashware as a permanent repository for all their documents, we have to make sure that people are aware of the management and legacy of the keys.

I personally believe that one day it will be common for inheritances to be largely digital, not just assets such as crypto-currencies, or assets such as houses and land that can be tokenized. If not something else important such as history (photos of your grandparents, or great-grandparents or your own, the family tree, photos of meetings or audios. Time boxes for our children...

This is an interesting subject that we will surely deal with in our medium.

In short, if we have thought about it, we are aware of the problem and therefore we will implement a decentralized system of key management. But as value is added after the launch of the MainNet.

bjlanza

View Profile
July 25, 2020, 11:48:22 AM

We have new articles at Medium, describing the methods of consensus used in Decentralized Storage Networks.
Check it out at:

https://medium.com/@stashware
Miiike
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1059

Wait... What?

View Profile
July 29, 2020, 10:47:53 PM

--snip--

In short, if we have thought about it, we are aware of the problem and therefore we will implement a decentralized system of key management. But as value is added after the launch of the MainNet.

Well, to limit the topic, I am not talking the situation on philosophical view, so we can just leave it strictly on practical use, and I didn't mean to be rude, but I seems failed to grasp the main idea of your answer. Would you please explain again? Perhaps in a simpler and more direct answer
bjlanza

View Profile
July 30, 2020, 12:33:47 AM

--snip--

Well, to limit the topic, I am not talking the situation on philosophical view, so we can just leave it strictly on practical use, and I didn't mean to be rude, but I seems failed to grasp the main idea of your answer. Would you please explain again? Perhaps in a simpler and more direct answer

Of course you are not rude.  You are right in your concerns, We are aware of this kind of problem.
What safeguards can be implemented without losing the spirit of decentralization and the importance of the custody of the keys?
As I have commented, the implementation of a decentralized key management system is being considered in the design phase.

But this feature will not be available at the release.  It will be incorporated in future iterations of the development roadmap.

The way to recover access to files will involve a unique element that the user owns, for this we have considered a phone number or NFC smart identity card as it could be a modern passport.
bjlanza

View Profile
August 03, 2020, 10:11:32 PM

We start a brand new week with the same energy as always to launch Stashware, the best decentralized storage network, as soon as possible.

We hope that yours will also begin in such an extraordinary way.

We have a new article in Medium where we continue to explain the consensus methods used in decentralized storage solutions. This time it's Proof of Stake.

Read it at https://medium.com/@stashware/existing-consensus-mechanisms-in-decentralized-cloud-storage-iii-pos-a55713e798c8
p3ngu1n

Activity: 304
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 06, 2020, 06:15:16 PM

It's interesting.
look forward to the next.
bjlanza

View Profile
August 06, 2020, 09:57:38 PM

It's interesting.

Great to know about that p3ngu1n. Do you like our medium articles?
p3ngu1n

View Profile
August 09, 2020, 11:20:26 PM

It's interesting.

Yes. I think it's good to have a well-organized article.
Regular release of information about a product can attract a lot of people, as people aren't interested in things they don't know much about.
bjlanza

View Profile
August 10, 2020, 02:44:24 AM

It's interesting.

Yes. I think it's good to have a well-organized article.
Regular release of information about a product can attract a lot of people, as people aren't interested in things they don't know much about.

We released the last part of the series about the consensus mechanism. This week is Proof of Access.

https://medium.com/@stashware/existing-consensus-mechanisms-in-decentralized-cloud-storage-iv-poa-6f5a31d43073
p3ngu1n

View Profile
August 10, 2020, 06:45:04 AM

The articles on Medium are good, but I think it is important to use social media to facilitate the spread of articles.
There are many people who are looking even if it seems to be few at first glance.
bjlanza

View Profile
August 12, 2020, 04:33:39 AM

The articles on Medium are good, but I think it is important to use social media to facilitate the spread of articles.
There are many people who are looking even if it seems to be few at first glance.

Yeah we are aware of this situation that is why we publish our social media, and we are going to increase the channels where we publish. We want to spread the advantages of decentralized storage.
Now in forums, Medium and Twitter and soon in many other social networks.
p3ngu1n

View Profile
August 12, 2020, 05:27:04 PM

Yeah we are aware of this situation that is why we publish our social media, and we are going to increase the channels where we publish. We want to spread the advantages of decentralized storage.

Many people are currently interested in any crypto project.
I hope your project will gain great popularity:D
bjlanza

View Profile
August 20, 2020, 12:47:33 AM

Many people are currently interested in any crypto project.
I hope your project will gain great popularity:D

Well we are working hard and soon we will have great news about our network.
bjlanza

View Profile
August 20, 2020, 12:49:41 AM

The privacy and security of data stored at Stashware is one of our highest priorities. That's why, from the outset, Stashware is designed with a number of features dedicated to ensuring your protection and privacy.

You can read about them in our latest medium article

https://medium.com/@stashware/security-and-privacy-services-of-stashware-252e0c30302
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: