Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 05:00:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Beware of the fake Elon Musk bitcoin giveaway  (Read 285 times)
Jating

Activity: 2912
Merit: 808

View Profile
July 06, 2020, 11:17:12 PM

I've been seeing this Elon Musk scam on youtube the past few days or so. They were using another celebrity as well but I can't recall who it was right now, but I was surprised youtube was pushing these ads. They weren't on the actual videos themselves but the image adverts to the right of the video. Don't they have people vetting these before they go up? They should be liable if people start to lose money on them as they're essentially promoting scams.

It's because there are lot of Youtube accounts being hacked specially those that has a lot of followers. And then use those hack channels to spread this fake Elon Musk giveaways. Again, the rule of thumb is that Elon Musk is not giving free money or any rich person for that matter. Second, be careful and use our common sense and be educated.

Not just in Youtube, but there are a lot of social platforms that has been spreading this kind of trick featuring Elon Musk.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
tbct_mt2

Activity: 2310
Merit: 835

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2020, 01:17:35 PM

Scammers are stupid guys and they always try to use same methods to scam on different platforms: the forum, other forums, Youtube, Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin, Medium, Instagram, and so on.

Giveaways: If such giveaways ask people to deposit first before being eligible to join such promising giveaways, don't join them.  Undecided

Youtube scam channels. Please spend your time to report them and take them down
Scammers on Youtube. Don't fall into this scam trap and lose money, guys
Collection of comprehensive guides on identify and avoid scam projects (read to know very classic scam methods).

Mr.Stork   
E X C H A N G E
S E R V I C E
████████▄▄▄▄▄
██████▄█████████▀
█████▀██▀▀█████▄
████████████████
█████▐█▄▀▄██▄▀▄██
█████▄█▄▄▄██▄▄
█████▀██████████
███████▀▀██████▌
███████████▀██▀

█████████
█████▄████████▄
███▄█████████████▄
░░▄███████████████▄

██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
▄▄███▄▄
▄█████████▄
▄█████████▄
▀██▀██▀
▀█████████▀
▀███████▀
█████████
███████████████
███████████████████
▐███████████████████▌
███████████████████
█████████████████████
▀▀███████████████▀▀
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

NO KYC    NO AML
NO REGISTRATION

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
aioc

Activity: 2898
Merit: 567

View Profile
July 08, 2020, 07:22:38 PM

They have a huge budget marketing their fake giveaway, I once saw a fake Elon Musk giveaway on Youtube ads, Google should screen and restrict this kind of advertisement, their platform is being used by scammers to scam people and this is not good for the reputation of adsense.

sandra_x (OP)

Activity: 574
Merit: 14

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2020, 08:45:02 AM

If we are browsing about the scam using Elon Musk's name, there will be many sources that report the scam and fake giveaway.
Moreover, this kind of scam was since around October 2018, with the almost same ways.
https://www.coindesk.com/twitter-let-a-fake-elon-musk-account-promote-a-crypto-scam

And now it is there again.
One of them can be found here:
https://news.bitcoin.com/elon-musk-bitcoin-giveaway-scam-millions-dollars-btc/

Be careful about this kind of similar scam. What you need to watch out when participating in a giveaway is:
1. Never only believe in one source, you must do your own research to the official sites, social media, and also compare to the other legitimate sources.
2. Never easily tempted by big giveaway rewards, so that you aside the logic to analyze it and just follow the other friends.
3. be careful if you must send ETH/BTC first to unlock the rewards, it may be suspicious and need to watch out, better to check, and recheck again.
4. Never only tempted by the big name, you must know which one is legit and scam.
5. Last, never be greedy because greedy may lead you to play or do without logic analysis and consideration.
Good advice on avoiding being a victim of giveaways scams. It seem this particular group launched a coordinated attack. I got a message of the above scam also in my email referring me the same scam, this time, they used a twitter account screenshot. I knew better not to take them seriously
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: