Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 10:59:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Can you hide your identity with bitcoin? (100%)  (Read 1325 times)
skarais
Legendary

Activity: 2464
Merit: 2094

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2020, 06:54:31 PM

As bitcoin is a decentralized coin, basically it is not possible to trace the transaction. We are unable to find who is sending and who is receiving it. Both users are safe and hidden.
Bitcoin is not completely anonymous as all transaction are recorded on the network. In certain cases, you also cant hide the identity behind your bitcoin ownership even if you use a mixer. Meanwhile, the cooperation between the government and exchange requires trader to fill out a KYC form and know their asset ownership.

In legal cases, government may still be able to track bitcoin owner in their own way and as Binance did a while back, this is part of a government exchange partnership. They managed to uncover the scam that had occurred in the last few year.

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.PLAY NOW.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Romano5523

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 07, 2020, 07:07:52 PM

Everything on the internet can be tracked, because for example when you plug in your mobile cypto wallet it your pc its connected to internet, and when you transfer your btc to wallet you do that via your ip adress. So I thing it can be tracked.
Like the last time when hackers attacked the famous people via twitter if you remember.
mezzaluna

Activity: 518
Merit: 23

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
September 07, 2020, 07:56:26 PM

Everything on the internet can be tracked, because for example when you plug in your mobile cypto wallet it your pc its connected to internet, and when you transfer your btc to wallet you do that via your ip adress. So I thing it can be tracked.
Like the last time when hackers attacked the famous people via twitter if you remember.

That is true but you at least need to have some super computer before tracking something over Blockchain UNLESS its recorded on the Blockchain. What we are seeing on the internet is not even on the Dark Web but only Deep Web and Surface Web which is reasonable since we got no reasons to be on the Dark Web. Cryptocurrencies were made in good reputation since nobody wants them to be used in a bad way. There is still a chance to hide your identity if you properly create a chain of fake accounts in which can lead to your true identity BUT only when you are converting it into your own money.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
PLINKO    |7| SLOTS     (+) ROULETTE    ▼ BIT SPINBITVESTPLAY or INVEST ║ ✔ Rainbot  ✔ Happy Hours  ✔ Faucet
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
0nline
Copper Member

Activity: 28

View Profile
September 08, 2020, 05:03:51 AM

Mostly you cannot. If you really wanted it, it would take a long while!
Killrbit

Activity: 224
Merit: 31

View Profile
September 08, 2020, 08:40:30 AM

I was having an argument with a friend. He says that you can't be anonymous to the bitcoin's network. Both nodes and wallets use, leads to an ip address where information can be found.

I had read in this forum that you can hide it with hardware? How exactly?

You can't be completely anonymous with bitcoin. Transactions can always be traced ( it is public ledger after all) and there are plenty of companies involved in analyzing transactions histories for exactly this reason.

That being said these chain analysis companies arent perfect and there are plenty of things you could do make tracing your transactions difficult such as the use of coin and transaction mixers(eg coinjoin), never using the same address twice, using tor or the use of dark wallets.

Again all these methods don't guarantee anonymity( most people get deanonymized largely because even they use mixers or tor they often make some mistake along the way) they just make it harder for someone to track you.

░░▒▒▓▓▓▓▓************** DFINANCE is New Age of DEFI **************▓▓▓▓▓▒▒░░
░░▒▒▓▓▓▓* Bitcointalk ▐  TwitterReddit ▐  Telegram ▐  Github ▐  Discord *▓▓▓▓▒▒░░
░░▒▒▓▓▓** A Non-Code Platform for Decentralized Trading Instruments **▓▓▓▒▒░░
bayu7adi

Activity: 1400
Merit: 538

paper money is going away

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2020, 09:00:03 AM

The main characteristic of Bitcoin is it's transparency and it wouldn't allow anonymity to go hand in hand with it. At best, you can be pseudonymous. Anyone is able to trace the movement of Bitcoin on the network as it is easily accessible. Even in the case of mixer, they do help you to improve anonymity but it is still not guaranteed. A huge part of it lies with the user's practices.

agree with this statement, whereas the anonymity level applied in the blockchain network cannot be 100%, it also has a dangerous impact on the transparent nature of the blockchain.

transparency of the blockchain must be balanced with anonymity, namely 50:50 so as not to be biased. How come?

If you want to be 100% transparent, then the result is that all network data must be published without being hidden, and that violates the rules of anonymity, there should be data that cannot be published regarding the privacy of each individual.
Ucy

Activity: 2576
Merit: 401

View Profile
September 08, 2020, 09:07:27 AM

Previously the official website of bitcoin contained the phrase anonymity, but they later removed them. It's not possible to anonymize conventionally, but there are many ways it can be used to remain anonymous. I listened to the TOR network and the mixer, those are the two best ways to combat IP tracing the best.

Actually you can be very anonymous in various ways.
What "official Bitcoin" site are you referring to? org or com? Doesn't matter though. Bitcoin principle of anonymity is a fact/truth.

Anyway, you don't need to use bitcoin on the internet to be completely anonymous. You could simply use it as physical currency and transfer to people who could just quickly verify on the Blockchain that it's genuine and hasn't been tampered. An application with extra features will clearly be needed to make this possible. And it won't be a difficult thing to build.
SomeJasonGuy

Activity: 322
Merit: 3

View Profile
September 08, 2020, 11:36:52 AM

I was having an argument with a friend. He says that you can't be anonymous to the bitcoin's network. Both nodes and wallets use, leads to an ip address where information can be found.

Although Bitcoin has privacy features, they aren't as discreet as say, Monero. Currencies like Monero are built with privacy in mind and using them almost guarantees a far higher degree of privacy than bitcoin. The problem is that certain governments aren't really down with them which may lead to problems when it comes to regulation and therefore adoption with these "privacy" coins.
anoufal

Activity: 100

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2020, 01:20:15 PM

No. Decentralization is not as good as it was at the start. Unfortunately.
Cryptoreflector_666

Activity: 728
Merit: 24

View Profile
September 12, 2020, 09:06:48 PM

Somewhere on the forum there was a thread that Satoshi Nakamoto in the bitcoin whitepaper wrote that bitcoin is not an anonymous cryptocurrency. It would be strange to assume that it is. There is always an IP address from which the request is sent and this address will be passed to the investigative authorities at the first request. In any case, I wouldn't expect you to go unnoticed.

Zionatin

Activity: 906
Merit: 262

View Profile
September 13, 2020, 11:46:45 PM

Why are you arguing with someone about something you don't know? That's not very logical now, is it?
Noone can find out who you are with your IP address unless they can contact your ISP and get the info there but that can only happen under a Subpoena or a hacker gains access to the ISP database and even then it's hard to prove who has what IP because IP addresses are dynamically used and cycle often. An IP address is nowhere near enough evidence to prove anything. Otherwise if it were could you imagine the havoc a criminal can cause of they hack into your WIFI outside of your house and go on a crime spree. 

No, it is the I.P address that will going to obtain and not your identity. Identity could be obtain when you do KYC and entrusted it to an exchange keeping it as what they promise. However there are.exchanges that has been hijack and some of the users holdings crypto was stolen and being transfer.

Don't get bother with your friend's argument. Just let him think that way for you had known already that being anonymous is one feature that bitcoin platform has from the start and up to this present time.

Did you not read properly? He is wrong and his friend is right.

It's very hard to keep your identity completely hidden. Probably impossible to have it exactly 100%.

There are cameras that could be used to facially recognize you. Your disposable phone, unless it has all antennas removed, will send and receive information from and to the service provider it's been registered to (and even without it, AFAIK, a phone with battery in it could still send and receive information - especially if it's a smartphone, and assuming you're using Bitcoin with it... it most likely is). Just think about it - even without a SIM card you can still call 911, right? Even if you turn your phone to Airplane Mode, do you have any guarantee that it has terminated any communication?
A complete anonymity is just a dream now a days especially if the authorities are targeting you. The speaker in your phone can be activated and if the authorities knows your IMEI number of your mobile they can activate your mobile speaker even if you turned your phone to airplane mode your communications can be captured.

When it comes to bitcoin it is impossible to stay fully anonymous if you are using exchanges because they force us to verify our identity, if you are making money online and if you are accepting it in bitcoin and not using the traditional exchanges it is possible to be anonymous.

Iv'e never heard so much shit in my life.

Xxmodded

Activity: 2254
Merit: 309

Undeads.com - P2E Runner Game

View Profile
September 14, 2020, 04:57:46 AM

We can hidden our identity with our bitcoin assets but looks impossible when selling bitcoin by higher amount, how ever many exchange market needed to upgrade and pass KYC for available to withdraw above 2 bitcoin every day, if you not upgrade your exchange market you only can sell under 2 bitcoin. But you can sell if you have many exchange market with 100 market binance example you can sell more than 200 btc every day, but look risk with higher payment fee have to pay.

💀|.
   ▄▄▄▄█▄▄              ▄▄█▀▀  ▄▄▄▄▄█      ▄▄    ▄█▄
  ▀▀▀████████▄  ▄██    ███▀ ▄████▀▀▀     ▄███   ▄███
    ███▀▄▄███▀ ███▀   ███▀  ▀█████▄     ▄███   ████▄
  ▄███████▀   ███   ▄███       ▀▀████▄▄███████████▀
▀▀███▀▀███    ███ ▄████       ▄▄████▀▀████   ▄███
 ██▀    ▀██▄  ██████▀▀   ▄▄█████▀▀   ███▀   ▄██▀
          ▀▀█  ▀▀▀▀ ▄██████▀▀       ███▀    █▀
                                      ▀
.PLAY2EARN.RUNNER.GAME.
||VIRAL
REF.SYSTEM
GAME
|
████████████████████████████
██████ ▄▀██████████  ███████
███████▄▀▄▀██████  █████████
█████████▄▀▄▀██  ███████████
███████████▄▀▄ █████████████
███████████  ▄▀▄▀███████████
█████████  ████▄▀▄▀█████████
███████  ████████▄▀ ████████
████████▀▀▄██████▄▀▀████████
███████  ▀        ▀  ███████
██████                ██████
█████▌   ███    ███   ▐█████
█████▌   ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀   ▐█████
██████                ██████
███████▄  ▀██████▀  ▄███████
aayaan100

Activity: 10

View Profile
September 22, 2020, 08:18:34 AM

I am also unknown about it.. at least I know if we make the transactions and open the wallets our ip address is tracked or saved in the Bitcoin transactions. Is that correct? One of my question is if a particular and respective finance organization or country want to check the Bitcoin users and their transactions ? Could they track and verify the users and transactions easily? What are the privacy and policies of these stuffs?
imstillthebest

Activity: 1638
Merit: 122

View Profile
September 22, 2020, 08:33:19 AM
Last edit: September 22, 2020, 08:49:33 AM by imstillthebest

I am also unknown about it.. at least I know if we make the transactions and open the wallets our ip address is tracked or saved in the Bitcoin transactions. Is that correct? One of my question is if a particular and respective finance organization or country want to check the Bitcoin users and their transactions ? Could they track and verify the users and transactions easily? What are the privacy and policies of these stuffs?

if we view the btc transactions that we make they can give you different details and depending on the wallet or block explorers maybe some can show you extra details like ip address but i havent seen it so far or i only miss looked it   . they can track your real ip , name , address , etc . you could careless if you have use a fake details and a different ip on every transactions you make on your wallet but  if its required in your place or on your country then you should evade it   . to the policies , well that depends on them and you should read that or ask them about it   .
mocacinno
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 4917

https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2020, 08:37:57 AM

Most of this has already been covered in this thread...

--snip--
at least I know if we make the transactions and open the wallets our ip address is tracked or saved in the Bitcoin transactions. Is that correct?
Nope

One of my question is if a particular and respective finance organization or country want to check the Bitcoin users and their transactions ? Could they track and verify the users and transactions easily? What are the privacy and policies of these stuffs?
That's a question you should ask those finance organisations or countrys...
This being said, on a technical level, no ip or username is stored on the blockchain. The blockchain basically stores witch unspent output is funding which address. When you create a new transaction you use one (or more) unspent outputs funding an address you controll as input for your transaction, removing it from the utxo db. When your transaction is broadcasted (and confirmed) the output of your transaction is now a new unspent output that's stored in the utxo db.

A company or governement can easily parse the blocks and re-create the current utxo db, and all historic transactions, but the only way they can add a name or ip to a transaction is if you were careless when broadcasting your transaction or careless when disclosing witch address(es) belong to your wallet.

Now, there are ways of adding ip's to transactions with a certain degree of certainty. If you run hundreds of SPV nodes and full nodes and have access to the logs of big blockchain explorers and web wallets, you could (theoretically) start data mining and start to find correlations between unspent outputs being spent in the same transaction, log ip's from nodes that broadcast a certain tx to your node, store lookups from spv clients, dig trough bitcoin explorer's webserver logs, dig trough webwallets webserver logs,... If you have terrabytes of logs of all these services, and you write a very powerfull data mining application, i'm relatively certain that you'll be able to attach ip's to a lot of newer wallets with a relatively high degree of certainty. But this is a completely different discussion.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
worldofcoins

Activity: 1834
Merit: 418

Need a campaign manager? | Telegram:@worldofcoinss

View Profile WWW
September 23, 2020, 04:06:16 AM

With monero maybe... But actually there are no 100% anonimity in the internet. In IRL too, i guess

You can hide your identity with bitcoins. Your transaction will be anonymous and no one can trace it. That's the reason why the government is against it. Most criminals use bitcoins to sell drugs, weapons, illegal things so police can't reach them.
NeilLostBitCoin

Activity: 868
Merit: 303

View Profile WWW
September 23, 2020, 05:51:32 AM

With monero maybe... But actually there are no 100% anonimity in the internet. In IRL too, i guess

You can hide your identity with bitcoins. Your transaction will be anonymous and no one can trace it. That's the reason why the government is against it. Most criminals use bitcoins to sell drugs, weapons, illegal things so police can't reach them.
You can't hide your identity with bitcoin. A few weeks ago, a team of money launderers of the criminals caught using the collaboration of bitcoin exchanges and authority. But as long as you don't do anything wrong or illegal, no one cares about your identity except exchanges that require KYC.
mocacinno
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 4917

https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC

View Profile WWW
September 23, 2020, 06:31:05 AM

You cannot hide your identity because all your ip address and other things were attached with your wallet this is not possible.

I use wasabi as.my day to day wallet. Please explain how you'd find my ip address.
The claim you're making has been contradicted multiple times in this very thread. This claim is only true if you use "bad" wallets (like web wallets)

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████