Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 02:50:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone GPU Bitcoin mining in 2014?  (Read 3170 times)
Wipeout2097 (OP)

Activity: 840
Merit: 255

SportsIcon - Connect With Your Sports Heroes

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 01:05:10 PM

We are all well aware that it is not profitable to do so and is less productive than banging one's head against the wall, however hobbyism and enthusiasm has made me do it last summer, and I considered it multiple times for the heck of it. Leaving one out of 8 GPUs bitcoin mining isn't much of a loss anyway.

I'd really like to know people's experience on mining software, pools, solo mining, p2pool usage, etc ...

███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██▀       ▀█       ▀████████████        ▀█         █▀       ▀██
██   ▀██▄▄▄█   ██   ████████████   ███   ████   ████   ▀██▄▄▄██
███▄     ▀██       ▄████████████       ▄█████   █████▄     ▀███
██▀▀▀██▄   █   █████████████████   █▄  ▀█████   ████▀▀▀██▄   ██
██▄       ▄█   █████████████████   ██▄  ▀████   ████▄       ▄██
██       ██▀      ▀█████████████    ▀██   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▄██▄   ████████████     ▀█   █████████████████████
████   ███   ████████   ████   █   ▄  ▀   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▀██▀   █   ████   █   █▄     █████████████████████
██       ██▄      ▄███        ██   ██▄    █████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████                                                             ████████████████████████████████████████████████

████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████          ████████████████                                 ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
►►  Powered by
BOUNTY
DETECTIVE

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
os2sam
Legendary

Activity: 3578
Merit: 1090

Think for yourself

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 05:06:45 PM

You could probably buy one ASIC Miner USB Block Erupter really cheap, heck someone would probably give you one for the shipping cost.  Then you could mine the same hash rate as your GPU in complete silence using only 2.5 watts.

I would point it at solopool or your local Bitcoin client and then forget about it.
Have Fun,
Sam

Edit: Oh, to answer your question, that's a No for me. Wink

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
MP5KU

Activity: 120
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 11:42:14 PM

Definitely not,

Would be wasting precious power haha
VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
March 25, 2014, 04:00:58 AM

1 day worth of mining with my gpu can buy me more hosted ghash for BTC than what i'd get from putting that GPU on BTC.

Definite no.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
billysweird

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 03:10:13 PM

We are all well aware that it is not profitable to do so and is less productive than banging one's head against the wall, however hobbyism and enthusiasm has made me do it last summer, and I considered it multiple times for the heck of it. Leaving one out of 8 GPUs bitcoin mining isn't much of a loss anyway.

I'd really like to know people's experience on mining software, pools, solo mining, p2pool usage, etc ...

I think so

GPU miner can not only mine btc, ltc but a lot of other alt coin
HellDiverUK

Activity: 1246
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 08:14:57 PM

I've still got 3 GPUs running.  But they're doing scrypt, auto-converting to BTC thanks to scryptguild.  Free power, so it's all good.  I've got a 280X in one machine, and a pair of 750Ti in another.  The Ti's are brilliant, 300kH for £89 and with two of them in a Core2Quad machine, the whole machine is using 195W.  Less than the 280X is using on it's own doing 720kH.
kthejung

Activity: 210

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 03:20:41 PM

uh.. NO.
ajareselde
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 03:24:17 AM

only abandonned botnets left pointed to deepbit and such Smiley

hurricandave
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 11:47:53 PM

I run a GPU to cover the stales and dupes that my ASICs produce. I also don't feel so pressured about losing time with the ASICs if I want to reboot the computer they are on, the few minutes they are down is already covered by the shares my GPU has put in the pot. Its a hedge kinda thought.
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4074
Merit: 1623

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2014, 11:52:18 PM

I run a GPU to cover the stales and dupes that my ASICs produce. I also don't feel so pressured about losing time with the ASICs if I want to reboot the computer they are on, the few minutes they are down is already covered by the shares my GPU has put in the pot. Its a hedge kinda thought.
I'm sorry but that comment does not make any sense I'm afraid.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
hurricandave
Legendary

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 01:35:43 AM

Simple, My HD 5450 is running at default speed on another computer that has to be on anyways for the property gates, elevator keypad, fire, water warning, A/C trouble alert, sprinkler control and remote access to the cameras. It produces as many accepted shares per 1 day as rejects that all of my Antminers rack up after three days. If I need to stop my Antminers for a short time the 5450 has already submitted enough shares running 24/7 365 in the background that I don't feel as pressured to hurry up and get the Antminers going again or I will have a big loss in my daily average. I only include the GPU into my daily average when I lose time on the Antminers. And no, rejects are not counted by many, but it took time to submit them instead of accepted shares, that's work time lost too when you see how many they add up to after a couple of weeks.
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4074
Merit: 1623

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2014, 01:43:43 AM

Simple, My HD 5450 is running at default speed on another computer that has to be on anyways for the property gates, elevator keypad, fire, water warning, A/C trouble alert, sprinkler control and remote access to the cameras. It produces as many accepted shares per 1 day as rejects that all of my Antminers rack up after three days. If I need to stop my Antminers for a short time the 5450 has already submitted enough shares running 24/7 365 in the background that I don't feel as pressured to hurry up and get the Antminers going again or I will have a big loss in my daily average. I only include the GPU into my daily average when I lose time on the Antminers. And no, rejects are not counted by many, but it took time to submit them instead of accepted shares, that's work time lost too when you see how many they add up to after a couple of weeks.
It still doesn't make sense because running them mining for that period means they use a lot more electricity than leaving the GPUs running idle, and the cost of that electricity is approximately 1000x as much as you will earn in bitcoin from the shares it returns.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
hurricandave
Legendary

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 02:05:44 AM

My electricity bill is just north of $1600.00 a month, my KW/hr price is very different than the average home, I would have to turn off a lot more than a single GPU to ever see the bill drop a penny, the OP asked if anybody was, I am.
lowbander80
Legendary

Activity: 1036

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 08:03:15 PM

Try running scrypt and sell your alt coins to BTC it will worth your electricity this way...
This is what I do with my computers.
Chrithu

Activity: 224

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 08:51:00 AM

I was doing it in the spring of 2013. At that time it was already yielding VERY LITTLE profit based on the BTC price back then. I mainly did it because I was curious about it.

I then stopped mining in june becaue all it really did was convert real money into BTC in a very stupid way that would eventually kill off my gaming hardware :p. I used the BTC I had gathered to buy Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm for cheap (about 20€) and took a break from BTC alltogether until two days ago (which means I missed out on the opportunity to make use of my leftover BTC when the price hit the 1000$ mark for a while).

However out of curiosity I fired up guiminer only to find it wouldn't connect properly to BTCGuild or TripleMining anymore. So I just got BFGMiner and tried that. It worked, but really ou do not get out much of it anymore, The shares I mine are still about the same in number but they are worth in BTC only a 10th of what I got in early 2013. GPU mining just has no sense at all anymore.

What I am planning to do now is use stuff like faucets, PTC sites and Task sites to gather enough BTC to afford a USB Asic miner (found a 2 GH/s one offered for 23€). That thing I will then just keep running and gather BTC at almost no cost. Even though it will still be small amounts of BTC it gathers it will at least do so at no additional cost and come the next big climb in BTC value I might be able to afford a bigger ASIC miner from the BTC.

So concluding my suggestion to you is: just forget GPU mining and look into ASIC mining. The small USB stick miners are a great starting point in my view if you don't have the money left for the big TH/s miners.

BSIG

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

Vintage4X4

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2014, 04:33:32 PM

even if you have cheap electricity, GPU's are power ineffecient. There are a number of cheaper ASICs out there with very low power consumption.

Vintage4X4
strangerhacks

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 19, 2014, 01:33:07 AM

My GPU is running Scrypt on a multipool and then converted to BTC, it's a lot more profitable this way.

The only problem with getting a cheap ASIC miner like I did was they only mine SHA-256 so their low hash rates can only miner BTC, NMC, etc. It's a lot more energy effecient to mine with Scrypt to mine altcoins like Dogecoin, Litecoin, Feathercoin, etc and then convert it to Bitcoin.

As you can see in my sign, I started March 25th, tossed out just over a grand on ASIC mining stuff and I've only made just over 12 bucks back. I'm only getting about 45 GH/s on all of my stuff too so it takes for ever. But if you just set them all up on an old desktop PC (not laptop) with some powered USB hubs in the ol basement and never touch them again they do add up lol.

I've found that desktop computers support a full 5v on USB so a powered USB hub works great on all ports, but if you use a laptop they only support 3.3v on USB so even a powered hub won't help you. I was only able to run 2 powered hubs on my laptop but after switching to an old desktop I was able to run all 5 hubs without a problem.

I'm running 16 Antminer U2 at 2.2GH/s, 15 Block Erupters, with 5 Anker 9+1 port powered USB 3.0 hubs, and one Arctic Breeze fan in each of the 5 hubs.

I would still suggest mining a Scrypt Altcoin or a Scrypt Multipool with your GPU and convert to BTC, it's the best way for power consumption vs profit.

If you do intent to run a GPU on SHA-256, I tried GHash.IO, BTCGuild, and SlushPool and hands down, I made almost double on SlushPool. The payout on SlushPool was always more because the rounds are very random in time. I worked it out that if a round on SlushPool was longer then 12 hours, I would have made more on BTCGuild, but if it's shorter then 12 hours then I make more on SlushPool, so even when some rounds do take up as long as 26 hours, it's usually followed by a good set of rounds that are only a few minutes which I just rack up in those rounds so it always makes up for itself after a long round.
gagalady
Legendary

Activity: 938

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 06:12:13 PM

even if you have cheap electricity, GPU's are power ineffecient. There are a number of cheaper ASICs out there with very low power consumption.

I'm sure you'll find ASIC deal for mining that you'll not want to switch to anything else, but now BTC mining is complicated in general It doesn't pay so much as we would want to..
Equate

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 06:13:22 PM

a big NO , GPU mining Bitcoins is history
fattypig

Activity: 224

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2014, 01:21:50 AM

No, solo mining anyone? Smiley